Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,018 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#448971 06/04/16 08:00 PM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i have used liquid at my old pond with pretty good luck. i am starting to have more fa than i prefer here at the new pond. i think it is due to excess triple 13 fertilizer run off. i also have a small amount of something that is a stringy type algae but it doesn't float to the top like fa, maybe chara? i have pretty deep and steep edges most of the way around the pond. would i be better off to use granules instead of liquid? do the granules work well on fa mats once it has floated to surface?

Scott Hanners
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I just started using Cutrine granular on our 1/4 acre neighborhood pond. Too soon to report results.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's best to treat it while it is still on the bottom, before it floats to the top. Once it is dense enough to break free and float you have to play catch up, and that is a LOT harder to do.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
I could be wrong but it appears to me the granules are a kind of a gravel with the liquid Cutrine dried to the outside of the gravel.

The idea of the granules is to get the chemical down to the bottom where the FA starts to grow.

If the experts tell you different listen to them and not me, but the whole idea of the granules is for placement. If you do not need to place the chemical in deeper water, the liquid is a lot cheaper as I recall (could be wrong, have to check amount of active ingredient in each and price to be sure).

So for my money, in shallow water or on mats where the liquid can get to the problem use the liquid. Use the granules for FA early in the season where it starts growing in deeper water.

I have used both around the edge of the pond (and granules in deeper water) and from now on anything I need in less than about two or three feet of water will be liquid. The first time I used Cutrine it was late in the season after I already had mats and a mess. It worked but was not the solution.

This year I started proactively and used pond dye to keep it from getting started in deeper water and Cutrine sparingly around the edge to keep it controlled there. Both very early in the season when the FA was just greening up on the bottom. I have not had to do any later treatments, knock on wood.

So the plan either worked or I got lucky and this year the FA just decided to not be a problem. But with this success my plan for next year will be to get ahead of it early in March or April and not wait till it gets to be floating mats. In my non-expert opinion, if it is in the floating mat stage, you are already behind the game. I raked a lot out of the pond last year. Have had to do no raking this year.

My experience with FA with pictures (this links to page 3, go to page 1 for pictures)

Last edited by snrub; 06/05/16 11:43 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
so far from what i have read the granules are for submerged and the liquid is for the floating mats. i ordered a jug of liquid, im going to give it a try soon. my fa isnt bad, i just want to stay ahead of it.

Scott Hanners
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes, sort of. Granules in water deeper than 24", liquid in shallower water. Floating would be considered shallower water.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Except for treating a couple brush piles last year, I have not used Cutrine until this year. In the past, I used a skim net. Got behind due to other projects this year, so trying Cutrine Plus liquid. Question.... as the mats die, will they sink or will I still need to remove them with the skim net?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Bill... In my experience, they will float if the patches are big enough (i.e. hold enough gas) during and after dying. It may well be that they always float up but I don't notice the small patches

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
S
S
My first treatment this spring I used granules from the shore out maybe five or six feet from the bank. As I recall that was in March and we were having a really early warm spring. I could see the FA growing on the bottom and wanted to get ahead of it.

It did a good job of knocking it out, but several weeks later was starting back in the shallow water around the shore line. That time I mixed up some liquid and sprayed only about a foot out from the shore line, figuring the chemical would work its way out a foot or two more (out about three feet total was what I was shooting for). That seemed to work for me.

I had some more later but only in small amounts and I was not trying to get completely rid of it. Only keep it from getting to massive amounts that would die and float to the surface. I have just a little around the edge of the pond right now mixed in with the grass/weeds where the water level has come up, and that is fine. I don't mind a little at all and in fact think it provides some food source for critters that the small BG fry like to eat.

Based on that experience, next year I likely will completely forgo the granules and use only the liquid around the edge, unless I start having problems in deeper water.

Last edited by snrub; 06/07/16 10:20 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I just put some granules in my pond Sunday, but like said above I was in about 4 to 6 feet of water. They work for me I that area pretty well. I normally only treat the one side closest to the cabin in the summer just to keep things down for fishing and such.... I let the rest grow.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
it's about that time again to start treating. we are having some crazy warm weather and fa is starting to show up a little. did any of you all have great luck with the granules?

Scott Hanners
P
P
I treated with both liquid and granules for 3 or 4 years but last spring I used pond dye and had only a wisp of FA here and there. Going to apply dye again tomorrow before the stuff gets going good. Haven't put any in since last spring but my pond doesn't get much water exchange and it did well all summer. I used an off brand Rural King sells and it was $29.00 a gallon. Lot cheaper than Cutrine if it works okay. I'm hoping last year wasn't just a fluke.

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
would it be safe to assume that the granular would not affect the bloom as much as liquid?

Scott Hanners
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
No proof or published research that I know of, but it is likely the granular algaecide has less impact on a bloom compared to liquid buffered algaecide. Algacide is a contact killer and the granular product is supposed to have its highest concentration near the bottom where the filamentous algae is attached and starts growing.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/05/18 10:46 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday