Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I started research on building a pond on your site the first of the year in 2016. I subscribed to pond boss and read past post on the process. I thought I did my homework. I decided on the builder from the resource guide. They are very knowledgeable and experienced. They did not do any bore samples. Half way through construction started hitting rock. I asked if this would be a problem. They said it shouldn’t be. Well, it is! I’ve pumped over 1 million gallons plus a lot of rain. I shut the pump off and the water is gone in about 2 weeks. They believe it’s leaking out the bottom. I contacted builder June 2017. The pond was built in October 2016. They didn’t come out to look at it until they end of July 2017. They said they will put out bentonite next month. They didn’t get to it until end of October. They put 4 super bags 12000 pounds in the area they thought was leaking. Started pumping in water at 48000 gallons a day for 10 days. For the next 2 weeks water level never changed. They said we must have missed the spot. They’ll be back out. I’m still waiting. How long do you give a builder. The contract was for a pond not a hole in the ground. I have six inches of water.
Sorry so long. Jeff

C
OP Offline
C
After rereading my post I didn’t like how it sounded. I’m not implying anything about the reference book or the businesses in their. I’m not blaming anybody. It just seems like a long time to try to fix it.
Thanks

D
D
I am sure it is frustrating and I understand your disappointment on a leaking pond. Just be patient and try to let the builder do their thing. It all takes time. It you hit gravel not just some rock you could have a much bigger problem then any amount of bentonite will fix.

The ground and ground water is very interesting and really a puzzle. An experienced builder that is good at the puzzles was your best option. IT will all work out in time and in the end.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
J
I think he needs to pack some clay in the bottom with a sheepsfoot roller, or put in a liner. I've dealt with leaks for over two years. My builder wouldn't make any warranties. Leaks are frustrating and will make you want to just fill it in. I wish we had put a plastic liner in the core trench.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Common sense, although not always common, tells us the leak is at least as deep as or at the final stable water level, thus at that level it quits leaking. IMO the water is likely seeping though the bottom soil layer into the cracks of rock layer below. Plus additional leaks could be above those at the deepest leak where water quits going down. As you now know, it is depressing and frustrating to have a bad leaker pond. I would contact the pond builder and ask if he can give you a deadline date as to the latest you can expect him to return. Tell him the empty pond is causing you to be depressed.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/20/18 09:19 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
OP Offline
C
I’ve dreamed about a bass pond since I was young. I finally decided to spend part of my retirement savings to get my dream. Heartbroken is more of the description I would give.
The frustration is in the fact they where told in June of the leak. They spent 2 hours in October putting the bentonite in. I called in November that is was still loosening 48000
gallons a day. They said they would be out in January to add clay. They didn’t come in January. Called the end of January, we’ll be out in February. February is now almost gone. They tell me they are trying to fit it in between jobs. My problem is I don’t think they finished mine. Thanks for listening. It helps me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I would make sure you have all the physical documentation together (quotes, emails, etc.), and then write notes, from memory, to get them onto paper.

Then, I would call and speak to the owner of the company and let them know that the issue is serious, and that the pond builder should not consider the issue to be something he/she can just 'handle between jobs.'

Depending on how that conversation goes, I would give the builder a finite time to correct the job, or consider getting an attorney.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
B
If it were me , I would be calling them once a week to get the status after they failed to show up on the time they stated. The fact they have other 'projects' would not be a valid excuse to me. They haven't finished your project that started in Oct 16'. They would get tired of hearing from me if this was my pond builder and my pond was empty over a year later...

Where are they going to get the clay? Are they digging on other part of your property? Bringing it in ?

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I just pm'ed you...we'll help if we can

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
C
OP Offline
C
Just an update. Talked to the owner today. He new about the leak but did not know about the delays on the repairs. He did say there are no warranty on the pond. I informed him that it has never held any water so you can’t classify it as a pond. He said he’ll get with the builder and his man to come up with a repair plan and call me the first of next week. Thanks for all your help.

D
D
Glad to see it moving forward for you. Maybe its the Canadian in me, but it is always good to put your self in the other mans shoes, and approach the conversation with empathy. When your confrontational everyone becomes defensive and the best defense is offense. Then around and around we go.

Don't get down and get your sleep. In the end if it is your dream to have a pond it will happen.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images