Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
ted_1209, Chris Williams, BA204, JeffShad, mtneer99
15175 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15175 Members
36 Forums
35025 Topics
478945 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24014
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19117
Dave Davidson1 13199
Theo Gallus 12343
Who's Online
1 registered (anthropic), 56 Guests and 401 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#486052 - 02/11/18 08:16 AM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
Todd, here u go from recent LSU water test.
Alk - 180.56 LSU put it in the medium range
Hardness - 46.76 LSU had no range here (high or low)
Visibility 9 to 10" of a cloudy light green water, it's more of a milky cloudy than green.

ewest, using only my input of information available to him, commented low vis could be due to drought conditions, high fish count and feeding. I could agree with that. I've been in a drought at my place for the past two years with no flush of pond water.

My recent research here at this forum (in the muddy water forum list), I found reported by Northband on 7/26/17 titled Cloudy water, aeration and enzymes. He experienced cloudy water due to excess bacterial growth after adding a bacteria, enzyme and dye product. I added a similar product Last Oct. I also found in aquariums where water was cloudy sometimes it was due to excess bacteria blooms. It is possible I am having a bacterial bloom I think.

I also just added this week 3 tons of Gypsum to the pond to increase the calcium content in the water. I did not add it to clear the water because I new it would take much more gyp than the 3 tons I planned to add.

One more thing, it really sucks having the water color and clarity I have. especially if I caused it by adding the bacteria.

Edited by TGW1 (02/11/18 08:45 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#486054 - 02/11/18 10:58 AM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Has Bill looked at the water? If suspended dirt/clay has been ruled out then it is likely chemical (imbalance) or biological (plankton/bacteria etc.)or a combination of both and either could be the cause or effect.

#486071 - 02/12/18 07:04 AM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

Eric, Bill sent me the information on how too and I have the water sample prepared as he suggested, I just need to drop it off in the mail. I just need to get into town to the post office.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#486088 - 02/12/18 12:44 PM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

I bet you will be surprised by the results unless Bill has already given you his opinion.

Did you get more rain. I am guessing things will fix themselves once you get enough rain due to what you have already added.

Edited by ewest (02/12/18 12:45 PM)

#486101 - 02/13/18 11:08 AM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

A little rain but not any measurable rain at one time since the good rain event a few days back. Looks like we may have 100% chance of rain each day for the next week but we shall see. Another good rain event would help a lot. In a normal year here, we would see the local rivers be out of the banks this time of year. And we are not seeing that so far. And I dropped the sample in the mail to Bill Cody yesterday along with a note to what I am seeing. I am very interested in seeing Bill Cody's results.

While doing some Alum treatment experimentation, I saw a small amount of Alum would drop out the plankton(green stuff) to the bottom of the gallon container, but the sample would remain a light cloud colored cloudy water with low visibility. The low visibility is coming from the cloudy water and not the plankton bloom. And after adding additional alum then the cloudy water would turn crystal clear.

I also reported here the pH was an 8.73 but it is a 8.37. My mistake. I want the water to have better visibility and may wait and see, but I may add the alum and leaning that way, so we'll see how the water does if we get some more rain. The recent rain event made little to no change in visibility.

Edited by TGW1 (02/13/18 11:10 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#486111 - 02/13/18 09:59 PM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Have you read this in light of your test results ?

https://srac.tamu.edu/serveFactSheet/108

#486115 - 02/14/18 07:52 AM Re: Adjusting pond things going into year 4 [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

Thanks Eric for the tamu fact sheet. The chart for Alum pounds per acre is pretty useful. If the chart is correct, and I believe it is, it might take less Alum than using the ( grams per gallon of water) test have shown.

I am now using a five gallon bucket test at the pond and adding a qtr tsp of Alum to the sample. I think I can get the weight of the tsp sample for treatment of the pond.

The first test with the bucket I added 3/4 tsp and the water had cleared up when I checked it the next day. The pH was tested and there was a drop in the pH from the strips it looked to be in the 6.5 to 7 range. Hard to tell exactly using strips.

I am now testing using 1/2 tsp and will ck on bucket test today.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Today's Birthdays
Charlie Ennis, Doc B, Mike Sherman, turtle29468
Recent Posts
New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo.
by Bobbss
Yesterday at 11:04 PM
How many catfish?
by Jack Horn
Yesterday at 08:48 PM
Amount of cover for new pond
by BarryM
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
pen raised wipers
by snrub
Yesterday at 08:02 PM
Recommendations on system