Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
jpsdad, RMorgan, K Caddenhead, DavidS, skipetejohn
15350 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15350 Members
36 Forums
35409 Topics
482969 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24026
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19286
Dave Davidson1 13312
Theo Gallus 12356
Who's Online
6 registered (drifter, Dave Davidson1, RAH, Arkie, dreams of ponds, Clay N' Pray), 94 Guests and 464 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#486077 - 02/12/18 09:09 AM Best materials to use for a dock?
Bulldozerman Offline

Loc: Indiana
We are going to be building a ~1 acre pond later this year in north central Indiana. I have been doing some research as to the cost of wood docks versus other materials, and came across synthetic materials like polyethylene that a company called EZ Dock uses to produce basically pre-configured sections that can be easily modified.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with EZ Dock? We like things to be low maintenance so might be willing to pay more up front (vs. the cost of wood) if we don't have to worry about maintenance down the road.

#486079 - 02/12/18 09:58 AM Re: Best materials to use for a dock? [Re: Bulldozerman]
Matzilla Offline

Loc: Iowa
https://goo.gl/maps/5VYhr85vcZ82
http://muscatinejournal.com/news/local/i...556f80d0aa.html

http://www.kwqc.com/content/misc/From-Gravel-To-Gift-437860593.html

Local lake has an EZ Dock fishing dock and gangway on the boat ramp. They get a LOT of use and have help up very nicely. Both seem extremely stable.

#486080 - 02/12/18 10:24 AM Re: Best materials to use for a dock? [Re: Bulldozerman]
Bill Cody Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
From my experience with both, polyethylene-polystyrene dock deck material vs wood or wood composite, the poly products are much better. Better as in no splinters, not slippery when wet, maintains its color well, and no need to periodically retreat wood (esp over the water & drips) to keep if from deterioration. IMO the poly material as long term worth is at least 3X more benefit than the cost of using wood. I have had a polystyrene top on my dock (wood joists) for 20yrs with no fading, cracking, nor splintering.

If cost is not a big factor consider contacting dock building experts Herman Brothers Pond Management for design, a building quote, and actual on site construction for you: hbpondmanagement.com

EZ docks out of TX have very good high quality products and are supporters of PondBoss. For a dock that is not elaborate as in not large, I wanted a lower cost DIY smaller dock for my newly rebuilt forage ponds. I incorporated Playstar Dock Systems products. They have aluminum frames, poly decking material, plus other good DIY materials for building wooden docks. Do your homework before pulling the trigger.

When your project is in progress or competed would you return to let other members know about your project and experiences?

Edited by Bill Cody (02/12/18 08:39 PM)

#486087 - 02/12/18 12:17 PM Re: Best materials to use for a dock? [Re: Bulldozerman]
nehunter Offline

Loc: NE
plastic can get hot from the sun. Should be something you ask about when looking for decking.

#486092 - 02/12/18 05:45 PM Re: Best materials to use for a dock? [Re: Bulldozerman]
bassmaster61 Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO/West Central Ill...
Depending on your budget you may be shocked when you see the bids. I received a quote from two of the dock companies that were vendors at PB VII and they were well north of $3,500 for a 5x12 ft. dock with a walking bridge from shore to the dock. One was north of $4,500.

Given that the two bodies of water where I am now building wooden docks (each 4x22 ft.)are smaller (1.6 & 1.5 acres)we decided to only spend the big bucks at our 6.5 acre BOW that needs a new dock as well.

Bill is right, over the life of the dock the cost is probably the same or less (especially when you add in maintenance of the wood) but we couldn't justify it up front for 2 small, remote ponds that are purely used for fishing.

At some point we will spend $4k-$6k (or maybe more) for a poly dock at our big lake but it isn't going to be this year. BM61.

Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Save big BG by discouraging spawn?
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:34 PM
Help Please! Fish Kill
by snrub
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Building new forage mini pond
by snrub
Yesterday at 10:53 PM