Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (bstone261, Bing, esshup, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer), 691 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hey guys would like to add some lily pads to the pond. What is the best way to plant them without them taking over the pond? I have a nice slope so im more so worried about them circling the pond. can you plant them in a pot to be able to place them where you want? thanks for any help you can give.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
RER Offline
R
I would use the cultivated ones they sell for koi ponds etc.

1- they have prettier flowers
2- they have a slower less aggressive growth a and will not take over like the wild ones.

you can usually find bulbs for sale at lowes or home depot in the sping in the garden area.

you can start them in a pot or just plant the bulb in the pond bottom.

if you have lots or turtles or carp you might want to protect them to start

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
First thing to do is do some homework about hardy hybrid water lilies. Also since you are in Florida you can also use the tropical water lilies which have more colors esp blues and purples. Tropical lily flowers stay open even after sunset whereas hardy hybrid flowers will close late afternoon.

As with fruit trees you don't need a full sized fruit tree if a dwarf tree will better suit your goals. Same with water lilies. There are 4 growth sizes of water lilies, dwarf, small, medium, and large. Select the size variety that fits the plant spread and water depth where you want them to predominate. Dwarf and Smalls stay in shallower water (2-3ft) whereas the Large spread lilies will spread faster, spread out more and grow deeper such as 6-10ft deep depending a lot on water clarity where the rhizomes receive adequate light.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/09/18 03:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Yes they can be planted in pots (actually tubs without holes are best), but as Bill suggests, look into varieties that suit your desires. The link below is for a backyard pond but gives you an idea on planting container size and shape.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/water-gardens/growing-water-lilies/

Here's what I did year before last with 10-11 hybrid lilies, and all survived. Doing as Bill C had previously suggested worked well. The link that RAH posted shows it, and I may try the burlap liner next. It should make it much easier to remove the root ball when transplanting.

Here's some pics of my original effort. Not sure how they'll flow, but here goes.

The first pic is of a tuber I'm splitting for 3 pots. Each tuber had at least 2 leaves. The second pic should be the 3 planting stages I took. Tuber in the planter's mix, pond clay added to top, then covered in river rock. 3rd pic is a bucket that had a hole in the bottom. It took one season for the rhizomes to start crawling out.

Attached Images
Hybrid Lillies - transplant - IMG_2668 copy_zpslfcvff22.jpg Hybrid Lillies - transplant - IMG_2675 copy_zpsiz9q3aup.jpg IMG_2785 copy_zps3zvxch6t.jpg
Last edited by FireIsHot; 02/10/18 09:00 AM.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
There also are lots of good discussions about water lilies for earth bottom ponds in the thread from the archives. This thread was added to the Archives - Water Lily topic

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=253826#Post253826

Note FirelsHot's way of planting lilies is very good because when seeing and trying to plant the lilies directly in the muddy water disturbed bottom pond, it is hard to make sure the new root is planted at a proper angle and the growing tip is slightly exposed above the soil. Best chances for plant survival is to first plant them in a container,,,, then when plants are growing producing new leaves or flowers just transplant them directly into the pond bottom. Transplanting a container established lily is just remove it from the pot and making sure it stays in the bottom muck and does not float.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/10/18 10:11 AM.

D
D
We used Rubbermaid totes and planted each different colour in a different tote. As per Bills recommendations we washed as much odd little plant matter that was not lily off them before planting. You would hate to plant something you didn't want.

As what Bill recommended our lilys are doing fantastic and will only cover a 12X12 area each year.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you are after a wildlife pond, you can also just plant in the mud bottom and expect the shallows to fill up over time. Planting in a tote first does help get them started though. If you have critters that eat them, consider fencing them off as well. I actually used thorny honeylocust branches for this so that they would just rot away over time. Everything from turtles to deer will pick on young water lilies, but once established, mine have been pretty tough.

Last edited by RAH; 02/11/18 07:52 AM.
D
D
Muskrat are hell on the lilys. It took two years to get a flower on our yellow ones after the muskrats got at them.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
OP Offline
Thanks for the pics they help ALOT, I think im gonna go the route of planting them in the 5 gallon buckets in the pond with potting mix and rocks on top of the soil, i`ll try to start them growing in rubber made totes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Be aware the potting mix wants to primarily float which is why lily experts suggest planting them in heavy garden soil even pond bottom soil/clay which is where they will eventually end up growing in. Personally I like a loamy clay, heavy soil mixture. You can add 1 or 2 fertilizer sticks to stimulate root growth in the container.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/12/18 09:02 PM.

D
D
I'll share my 2017 waterlily experience and plan going fwd. Last spring I bought approx 40 waterlilies from Texaswaterlilies.com on a recommendation I saw here. They sent me beautiful plants that were packaged perfectly. They were sent with full leaves/pads so they made figuring out "which way is up" very simple. I'll be buying more from them this spring. I planted them directly into the pond in groups of 5-7 plants and they looked great. I felt terrible a few weeks later watching geese tear them up. Then I noticed deer falling in love with them. Finally last fall I had a muskrat wipe out a couple of nice established 1st yr clumps. What I learned was that they need something to anchor and protect them if you plant direct in the pond because all parts of the plant are vulnerable. Several times I found entire plants floating in the pond after deer and geese uprooted them. I will use an 18"x18" grate made of 2" cattle panel and place it over the planting area then cover it with rock to protect the rooted area. I'll also add chicken wire up to the surface just to at least deter swimming critters and geese. After 2 yrs I plan to take all of that out.

FWIW, here's a pallet structure I'm sinking this spring. It's stuffed with an artificial Christmas tree and has a mixing tub planter mounted on top to grow waterlilies. This is going to sit in and area where the tub is about 24-30" from the surface and I'll plant using pond soil/clay before covering with rock and a grate. I hope to gain a couple things by doing this -

1) let's me know right where this structure is
2) I hope access to the plants is less attractive to some critters (deer)
3) I want to use it as a propagation planter and divide from what grows in it.

Hope this helps - just my two cents.

Attached Images
pallet habitat w lily planter.jpg
Last edited by Dam'dWaters; 02/13/18 10:30 AM.

J Waters
Dam'd Waters Farm
2/3 ac dam'd stream pond
BG, HBG, RES, LMB, YP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump