Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48594 04/25/06 02:40 PM
B
Bob-O Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey everybody, this is gonna be a long one, so if ya get bored easy, move on. A friend and I bought 28 acres here in NE In. bout 3 yrs ago. It has a 4 acre pond/swamp on his portion I have no legal acsess to it, but have FULL permision ta do whatever. We was told it is an old gravel pit, 30' deep in places, had some 8lb LMB, skillet sized BG, and CC ya could ride. Horse ca-ca!!! After purchase, we fished with absolutely no results, so took the pontoon out at night with a spotlight. In 3 consectutive nights counted maybe 3 or 4 4-5" BG. That was it. Called in a biologist, and was told it had been almost completely winter killed the previous yr. Also found out it's about 3' average depth, with one 7-8' hole the size of a double car garage. I've scourred this site, and others, tryin ta figure a cheap way ta get a couple a nice deep areas. Problem is the owner don't want ta spend ANY money on it, and I ain't gonna, as this fella may just end up not likin me. OK, here's my idea. I got some friends that really like explosives, all trained by trial and error, but I've seen em blow some pretty impresive holes in the ground. Now I know bout burocratit regs, permits, and all that horesdung. However, this is a pretty close nit, good ol boy mentallity, community. I'm pretty good friends with the cheif of police (helps workin in the hardware store in a hick town), and am convinced I could persuade him ta exclude the county and state boys from my plan. I figure if I go talk ta the neighbors, and explain that we're gonna have a real BIG 4th of July celebration, and their houses may shake a bit several times that day, that everyone will be prepared, and not ruffle too many feathers. My ? is, is it practical, or at least feasible ta create a couple a good holes with underwater explosions? I ain't too worried about reprocussions, or collateral damage. Any input will be appreciated, any pyro technictions will be pampered! PS Happy 4th of July, early. BC, Cecil, Grettski, and Pualie, keep yer ears plugged then. Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
#48595 04/25/06 03:36 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It won't work and no need to contact the neighbors. I might refer to you to Patrick McManus and his well considered treatise regarding building a Grasshopper Trap.

PM follows regarding how I know it won't work.

Boys and Gurlz, be real careful about how you respond here. No explicit stuff please.

#48596 04/25/06 04:07 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bob-O,

I've got to give you credit you are thinking of all the angles! Unfortunately I believe Dave is right. It won't work and it will probably blow your neighbor's windows out!

How do I know it will blow out windows? Because my dad was a demolitions expert that was in charge of blowing up ice jams on the Rhine River in Germany back in the 50's. I think he must have gotten a little carried away one time as the U.S. Military had to pay for a lot of windows within a mile radius. \:D

With my limited knowledge I would think you would have some major water and pond bottom eruptions, but it would all come right back down to the same spot. Very dangerous too!

I'd have to wonder how easy it would be to get your hands on the explosives post 9/11 too.

What you need is explosives from above. Maybe dress up like Bin Laden and run like hell? ;\)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#48597 04/25/06 04:55 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Bob-O, it would take a huge amount of uh... popcorn to knock a hole big enough. All it does is fly upward and outward and fall back in the hole. The huge craters you see are from 250# or more of stuff.

It takes miniscule amounts to "loosen up" stuff for normal excavation, and that works wonders. But digging with the stuff alone doesn't work with normal amounts.

#48598 04/25/06 08:24 PM
Lunker
Lunker
I can now picture you, Bob-O, ala Graham Greene as the explosives expert on "The New Red Green Show." \:\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#48599 04/26/06 07:42 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Not explosive expert but.....in order to get a hole you would have to first blow the soil/water up and then, heres the kicker in my mind, you would have to blow it away. I think that would sort of take two explosions. And if you were some how able to get two explosions to go off at the correct time, where is that stuff gunna land? I recall an internet video of some Atlantic coastal town trying to get rid of a giant dead whale that had washed up. The town came up with the idea of blowing the whale up and they did. Of course the whale went up and then dead rotting meat landed everywhere. Pretty gross. Bob-o if you do this would you please film it cuz I want to watch.
Toby

#48600 04/26/06 09:31 AM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I say go ahead, But film it all big time and sell the footage & submit to funny video shows. Then take the money and have it Done (dug out) the right way. I want to watch it too \:D
Will

#48601 04/26/06 12:56 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I have had some (very limited) experience with explosives on past projects. Since Oklahoma City and to a greater extent 9-11, you will find it difficult to locate someone to do the job. Permits, inspections and other govt. issues has all but eliminated the small demolition contractor.
With that said, let me show a few photos of past projects.
By the end of the 1990’s and early 2000’s a good friend and explosives Contractor was able to get rid of some of his material at our place. Great opportunity to blow stumps, create fish habitat, etc at the cost of materials. His cost for materials was as follows:
Dynamite (1/2 lb. stick) $1.50 each
Ammonium nitrate / fuel oil $75.00 per 50 lb. bag
Detonation cord .13 cents per ft.
Electrical blasting cap .75 cents each

As cheap as this sounds, it would have been cheaper to hire a good track hoe operator!!!! But not nearly as much fun!
We went through hundreds of sticks of dynamite and several hundred pounds of fertilizer.
Not to mention hundreds of ft. of detonation cord.

Below is a picture of my son getting ready to "load" a tree stump. (Notice holes in ground for explosives)

5 ft. diameter cottonwood. (23 sticks of fun!)
Notice the square hole in the tree to accompdate explosives

Extreme overkill on cottonwood tree!

Ed

#48602 04/26/06 03:19 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...and I thought everything was bigger in Texas!
Big tree, big chainsaw, big boom.
(luv that last pic, Ed. His face looks like the aftermath of a 3-Stooges blast \:D )

#48603 04/30/06 09:23 PM
Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Bob-O
My 2 cents; I think you need to get the water off where you are going to try this. Then you would need the blast to start in one spot and move by using time delay.
The explosion will follow the path of least resistance.
The water has to be gone or you'll have to use to much blast to push the water out of the way to move any material.
The time delay works to move material like this,
you blast off several holes, (holes would need to be drilled or dug on a grid) and that material goes path of least resistance, up. A split second later the drilled holes next to the blown hole go off and the path of least resistance is sideways up. Then the drilled holes next to that blast sideways up, and so on. This can work to leave a hole on one end of the shot as deep as the holes were drilled and will leave a mound on the other.
Everybody is right that you can't just blast a hole and expect the material to go into the air or water and disappear without using way way to much explosives.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!