Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 819 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485644 01/29/18 04:32 PM
OP Offline
Hi,

After reading alot of information here on the benefits of AM600 for bluegill, I decided I'd try to track some down locally. Tractor Supply is able to special order it for me, but the price is $49.99 for what I assume is a 50lb bag. That is about 4x the price of the Sportman's Choice stuff TSC already has on the shelf.

Is that a fair price for this stuff or is TSC marking it up due to the special order?

-Jason

-Jason
B
B
I think you should contact the nearest grain COOP or elevator that handles Purina feed. They can special order for you and my guess is the price will be cheaper.

At the local elevator nearest our place a 50 lb. bag of Purina Aquamax MVP is slightly less than $40. I believe MVP is in line with AM600 in terms of quality and price. BM61.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: bassmaster61
I think you should contact the nearest grain COOP or elevator that handles Purina feed. They can special order for you and my guess is the price will be cheaper.

At the local elevator nearest our place a 50 lb. bag of Purina Aquamax MVP is slightly less than $40. I believe MVP is in line with AM600 in terms of quality and price. BM61.

Thanks for the info. I was kind of expecting $25-30/bag but sounds like the TSC isn't too far above the market rate. I think TSC will discount if you by 5+ bags. I haven't worked out my monthly rate yet but I won't be surprised if 50lbs will last me most of the warm season in my 1/4 acre BG pond.

-Jason
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
We paid $38 something a bag last year for AQ600 & AQ500. I don't expect it to be lower this year.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Coldsprings, I fed purina last year...as well as the TSC feed when I couldn't get purina. I have also fed Optimal. I know it seems expensive compared to the TSC feed, but if you look at the breakdowns of the feeds, the first ingredients, fish meal compared to grain based meals thats where most of your expense comes from. The higher quality base ingredients.

But I will tell you simply from my experiences, The higher quality feeds are much more palatable (taste better) to the fish you are targeting. Simply watching the response after a few feedings of each. The reaction, the intensity of which the fish strikes the feed is MUCH stronger and faster, then even the way they look after feeding each type for a while.

I was a an agri teacher for about a decade I had MANY kids showing...feeding everything from all purpose pellets to Moormans and Purina show cattle feeds. Your talking 6-8 dollars a bag to well into the 20's for a bag. Could you tell a difference in the cattle when it came time to show...sure you could. When growing out livestock you really are what you eat. The higher quality base ingredients you have the better growth and overall health and look of the animals in question will be...weather fish, cattle, dogs, etc. I think you'll love the AM feed. I fed 500 last year. I think I'm going to go back to Optimal this spring, but they are BOTH great feeds.

Have fun with it, nothing better than sitting on the bank on a spring evening watching the fish eat. About the most relaxing thing you could I think!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
There is a difference in feed quality. I feed Optimal which is just about the most expensive out there. But, I see a huge difference in my fish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
I think I paid around 42 dollars for MVP last year but I am not where I can check to be sure.

some pictures of different feeds

I will try and remember to update the above thread this spring with some more pictures. Planning on getting some Optimal LMB and maybe some others. Already have Optimal BG but no pics.

Last edited by snrub; 01/30/18 08:50 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
OP Offline
Thanks for the information guys. I can appreciate the importance of higher quality foods from my koi pond experience back in the day. I remember fish swimming past lower quality feeds in favor of the good stuff. I also saw lighter biomass loading in the pond filters with better quality feeds. I actually stumbled on an interesting trial of the various feeds that I'll share here. The company that conducted the trial manages my brother in laws pond and I've always been impressed with the health and quantity of fish.
Bluegill Feed Trials

I've decided its worth paying the $50 for this first bag but I'll definitely be researching other sources as I plan on building another 2-4 acres of ponds over the next few years.

-Jason
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Interesting test. Greg Grimes owns the company, has a Masters Degree in Fisheries Management and about 20 years experience. He’s a good guy

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good basic study and has the expected results. Many fish feeding studies are difficult to decipher and apply to each particular goal/situation. Some are proprietary (private not peer reviewed) and the results/design can be skewed. You have to factor into any results and decisions your situation and goals. One important factor is the % your fish rely on feed vs natural diet (how supplemental is your feeding). Keep in mind that in most unmanaged waters the biggest cause of poor fish results is not enough food for the fish. With that in mind just about any supplemental food is better than none. The more you rely on feed the more important the quality of the food.

Eric, in all your research of studies, have you ever run across what happens to feed trained fish if and when they come off of feed drastically?

IE...if you have fed multiple generations of BG and the YOY have been raised on feed all their lives, and you are feeding as much as many of us do,which would probably be more than just a supplement to many fish, timed, multiple times a day; if something happened and you were not able to feed for whatever reason...would the fish have trouble reverting back to natural forage for a time?? Perhaps even have a drastic loss of relative weight?

I know taking a show calf and kicking them out in field after the show circuit or when they age out, is normally pretty tough on them...body condition wise. You try to get kids to ween the animals off but that doesn't always go the way you hoped.

I'm not going to change my feeding, I'm just curious if you have read or seen that, or think they would.

Thanks for all your study! Its much appreciated...here and in the magazine!

S
S
Nice information on the feed trial.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Rapid change in the pond is always difficult. Because the fish population increases with good feeding stopping feeding without fish removal (harvest) will lead to undernourished fish in bad condition. Same with all productive aspects to pond mgt such as fertilization. Some studies indicate that feed raised fish from birth do not do well when put into a normal pond where existing fish are used to foraging on natural food with a little sup feeding.

Last edited by ewest; 02/01/18 09:13 PM.

OP Offline
Have my new best friend along for the ride today. I can tell its high in fish meal content...its giving my truck that shrimpy ammonia smell! So from everything I've read this should be the cure all for my pond right? My pond isn't even stocked yet...how many bluegill eggs does one bag of this stuff have in it? crazy

Last edited by ColdSpringsFarm; 02/07/18 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

-Jason
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Cold Spring

Here is what you will get feeding AQ600 if all goes right.

Possible 10 to 11 inch BG

Then you get great spawns from your BG and you can end up with this.

6 lbs HSB and 5 pound LMB of course some other things must be in play but the AQ 600 kicks it all up a notch IMO.

Oh and the others are right I also pay about 38 bucks a bag.

Attached Images
11 in BG.jpg 11 inch BG.jpg 6.5 lbs HSB.jpg IMG_20170701_093300361.jpg
Last edited by RC51; 02/07/18 02:56 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RC51
Cold Spring

Here is what you will get feeding AQ600 if all goes right.

Possible 10 to 11 inch BG

Then you get great spawns from your BG and you can end up with this.

6 lbs HSB and 5 pound LMB of course some other things must be in play but the AQ 600 kicks it all up a notch IMO.

NICE! I read in an older post about the risk of HSB switching to pellets instead of eating BG fry. Have you had any issues with that?

Last edited by ColdSpringsFarm; 02/07/18 02:56 PM.

-Jason
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Actually my HSB were pellet trained and then when they got bigger around 3 pounds they started eating BG. They will switch over to both at some point unless you were to buy the LMB pellets the HSB will eat them too once they get larger. That one in the pic I caught Easter weekend 2017 on a 2 inch BG on a hook. Stocked him in 2012

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
OP Offline
I'm doing some research and I may have trouble getting HSB in South Carolina. I know they put hundreds of thousands of them in our local reservoir every year, but so far I'm not finding a fishery that actually has them for sale. If I can't find them I guess I'll have to go the LMB route. Thanks for the info though!

Last edited by ColdSpringsFarm; 02/07/18 03:38 PM.

-Jason
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A little searching found these two private fish farms who have HSB in SC.
http://www.tcafish.com/fishfarm.htm
http://www.fishmanfarms.com/contact.html

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/07/18 07:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
A little searching found these two private fish farms who have HSB in SC.
http://www.tcafish.com/fishfarm.htm
http://www.fishmanfarms.com/contact.html

Thanks for finding these. That's a bit of a drive but at least I know they are available.

-Jason
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Call them and you might be able to meet them when they are making a delivery in your area to another pondowner.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy