Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261), 726 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#485533 01/24/18 06:04 PM
T
tim k Offline OP
OP Offline
T
beautiful weather yesterday so I thought I would hop in my boat and toss a rattle trap. Hooked a 3 lb bass and reeled him in. While trying to pry his mouth open in order to get a good hold on him, he flopped and ran the front treble hook all the way through my left index finger past the prong. Problem was he was still hooked to the other treble hook. So every time he flopped it pushed the hook further into my finger. Not a good situation since I had no pliers with me.

I finally got the hook out of him and threw the little S-B back into the water. Got to shore and jumped out of the boat and found my tool box - used wire cutters to cut the hook out - OUCH

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tamnAb32MI

Watch KVD get a hook out of his hand....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3sqNiWCPMc

Or, Jimmy Houston gets one of his wife's arm

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
T
tim k Offline OP
OP Offline
T
well that is cool - only issue I see is if you are by yourself as I was doing that would be more difficult -

KVD's attitude about it was the cool deal for me. This is what happened, and here's how we're gonna fix it. He may be the G.O.A.T.

AL

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Had this happen with a large CC on the line, but beer was involved:) Finally just yanked it out backwards. Thumb was sore for a while. Bent those barbs over after that! Wife was not sympathetic:(

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
A big smallie did the same to me, but into my middle toe on my foot as the fish was violently flopping on the shore; I had to get it out of the water before it was played out due to the threat of it going under large rocks.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Ouch!

I guess we've all had our moments like that.

I was fishing early one morning in my jammies a couple of months ago and snagged a top-water bait....when I finally jerked it loose it fired back at me and hit me in the very upper leg...two treble hooks went thru the thin pajama pants. I worked on getting it out pulling hard for 45 mins....finally I had to head towards home and a local ER clinic.

Walking into a crowded ER waiting room with torn high upper leg pajamas and a top-water bait dangling from my exposed upper leg was a bit embarrassing to say the least. One old blue hair lady whispered to her husband "my God look at that guy".

Fishing has never been about the fish....

C
C
what did they do to get it out in the ER?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
what did they do to get it out in the ER?

i have some anxiety issues in certain situations that I can predict
so on the way to ER I took a Xanax
then the doctor deadened the area with 2-3 shots of some kind of pain killer
I didn't watch...thought it could set off anxiety...plus I was laying down
but he cut or dug it out in seconds...added a tetanus shot
was in and out in less that 30 mins

Zep, did they give you your lure back? smile

2011 five acre pond. LMB, SMB, HSB, SPB, BG, CNBG, HBG, RES, WM, CC, BCP, GC, FHM, GSH
Zep #485562 01/25/18 04:37 PM
G
G
Originally Posted By: Zep
Don’t worry Zep, despite the torn hole and the bloodstains those pajama pants are still suitable to wear while shopping at Walmart

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: djnks
Zep, did they give you your lure back? smile

yes! got it back

Originally Posted By: gully washer
despite the torn hole and the bloodstains those pajama pants are still suitable to wear while shopping at Walmart

ha ha true gully...some of the outfits at walmart are concerning

T
T
Bass Pro shop offers a hook removal kit for a couple of bucks. It works great. After you see how it works you will learn how to remove the hooks without the kit. I removed two hooks from two different people one day on the White River in Ark. As I was floating down the river trout fishing I was asked twice that day where the closest Emergency room was? lol It is pretty much painless to remove the hooks.

Last edited by TGW1; 01/26/18 12:07 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
tim k Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Bass Pro shop offers a hook removal kit for a couple of bucks. It works great. After you see how it works you will learn how to remove the hooks without the kit. I removed two hooks from two different people one day on the White River in Ark. As I was floating down the river trout fishing I was asked twice that day where the closest Emergency room was? lol It is pretty much painless to remove the hooks.
. Does it work if the fish is still on the other end of the lure? Lol

T
T
smile I don't think it will work in that situation, so remove the flopping fish first smile I said is was easy but I have to say it is a little harder to remove the hook when removing it from yourself. Been there done that frown

Tracy
C
C
TGW1, can you post a link to the hook removal kit? I looked on their webpage and saw a gizmo to get a hook out of a fish which was curious to see, but didn't see a kit to get it out of a person. I see a special needle nose pliers with blunt nose but didn't think that would get an embedded barb out of human flesh.

T
T
This week I received my new Bass Pro Shop Master Catalog 2018 and as per your request I looked but did not find the hook removal kit. But, I can say I have purchased at least a dozen of the kits over the past 6 to 8 yrs. I usually bring along a new kit or two when making fishing trips with new fishing partners or friends for gifts. Last time I was in BPS I had a little trouble finding the kit, so I asked for help and the company rep took me right to them. So, maybe the next time you are in the area of a BPS stop in and ask. The cost for the kit is around $2.99 +- and are not expensive. And like I said after using the kit and seeing how the hook removal works, you will no linger need a kit and in fact, all you need to some 12 to 20lb fishing line and two free hands to work with. The two free hands is what made it tougher to do when I buried a large top water bass popping fly into my left forarm, due to heavy winds and my poor fly casting with large heavy bulky flies. But I did get the hook out without any excess pain.

Tracy
T
T
I will try to explain what is needed to make your own kit that works.
All you need is a 1 to 2 inch thick and 5 to 6 inches long piece of stick or round shaped piece of wood. Then take about a 10 to 12 inch piece of heavier (10 to 20lb) fishing line and tie one end of the line to one end of the stick and then tie the other end of the line to the other end of the stick. So you have now made a loop with the fishing line. Take the loop and place it centered to the inside center bend of the buried hook. Using the stick(with the loop) and place it in one free hand. Take the second hand and push the eye of the hook to where it touches the skin just above the buried hook. So, now you have a hook buried and the eye of the hook touching the skin(with a little pressure) and a loop of line, looped inside at the bend of the hook(just above the buried barb). Now hold the loop and stick fairly tight and the Jerk the hook out. It is amazing how simple and how painless it all works. The kit provides a plastic handle (where I suggested a peace of wood) and the kit provides the fishing line already tied to the ends of the plastic handle. I would try it out on the next person that get a hook buried, after all it's not you (hopefully) with the buried hook. smile

If the hooked person is like ZEP, tell them to close their eyes. No Xanax is needed lol WUS! lol

Last edited by TGW1; 01/27/18 12:06 PM.

Tracy
S
S
Tracy this seems like an important enough subject we need a live demonstration. Why don't you come up to my Pond Boss informal get together at snrub's place later this year, you "take one for the team" and we will imbed a big ole hook in you, and you can show us the technique.

I'll hold your beer! laugh laugh laugh grin

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
T
John, as described earlier, it's much harder to perform on myself. But, Thank you for the offer. All we need would be for the host to be a pin cushion or hook cushion. If you would be so kind, all you have to do is set on the hook and I will be more than happy to give it a yank and demonstrate an easy hook removal from your arse. I bet PB members would come from great distances to your get together. I know I would come smile and I bet ya ZEP would come with a Xanax for ya. Think of it like this, a video of the hookup and removal could be posted here for eternity. I could see it now, posted on Utube for all to see. Heck man, you might make it to the largest number of views. smile Now that has to be funny, I am laughing about it now.

Last edited by TGW1; 01/27/18 04:24 PM.

Tracy
C
C
I would love to try to source one of these. They seem to be a better way to control a single hook on the way out. Not sure if they would work with treble hooks.

S
S
John, as described earlier, it's much harder to perform on myself. But, Thank you for the offer. All we need would be for the host to be a pin cushion or hook cushion. If you would be so kind, all you have to do is set on the hook and I will be more than happy to give it a yank and demonstrate an easy hook removal from your arse. I bet PB members would come from great distances to your get together. I know I would come smile and I bet ya ZEP would come with a Xanax for ya. Think of it like this, a video of the hookup and removal could be posted here for eternity. I could see it now, posted on Utube for all to see. Heck man, you might make it to the largest number of views. smile Now that has to be funny, I am laughing about it now.

I probably had that coming! grin

John

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
and I bet ya ZEP would come with a Xanax for ya.

For sure...I never leave home without it...but I rarely take it.
only when I need to be in a state like this black guy:

T
T
John, I hope u know I was just BS-ing with you and Zep. Never take anything I post up to serous. all in fun and a good time. And as far as info here on the forum, I would really enjoy making your get together, it could help he out before I wind up killing all the fish in my pond. I wish I was there with u and the wifey enjoying the sun and sand.

Tracy
S
S
If a person can't laugh at himself once in a while......

Good fun.

Come on down! Will still be here for a little over a month.

http://blackdurgon.com

Have about a hundred dives so far this trip. Getting ready to go out again now.

Last edited by snrub; 01/28/18 10:02 AM.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass