Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
Canyoncreek.... if you scroll down to about mid-way on the home page, you will see my most recent posts. I believe the Facebook Live videos are color-coded in a reddish color.
Let me know if that works for you.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Wednesday's Topic: Tweaking your Fish Stocking Rates.

Do you need to stock some fish? Is your pond's fishery out of whack? Need adjusting? We'll talk about the 'tried and true' stocking methods as well as some of the cutting edge science behind the art of stocking a pond.

Tune in to our Pond Boss page on Facebook at 6:30 CST Wednesday evening. Send your questions in advance to info@pondboss.com or ask them live as we have some fun in our next live broadcast.

If you can't make it for the live version, it will be archived on the Facebook page, and then uploaded to youtube when LeighAnn gets to it. After the broadcast, I'll add a link in this thread to the Facebook event. After LeighAnn uploads to youtube, she'll link in through the Pond Boss website, too.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pond Boss, work into the Wednesday night Facebook Live broadcast: Pond owners,,,, don't forget when you see a need to restock some fish, ask yourself why is the fishery in decline? What is causing the problem? What is out of balance causing a need for more fish? Is it habitat, mismanagement, improper harvest, lack of growth, is it a new species that could change the dynamics of the current fishery? What should be fixed or adjusted before adding new fish? A well planned numbers adjustment may be needed before adding more fish. Will new fish cause too much competition or upset the food chain-food web? Just adding new fish may not solve your underlying problem. Thus the new fish may not survive well enough to improve angler success unless some prior adjustments are made!

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/22/18 08:08 PM. Reason: Added few new words

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
D
Hey Bob,
I see the subject changed since my email. Feel free to hold off on my questions until you get into water quality or vegetation subjects at a later date.
Looking forward to this one as well!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In addition to my post above. Introducing fish for forage is usually only a short term solution. There is probably a reason for the scarcity of forage fish. If you do not improve habitat conditions stocking with forage fish will only temporarily increase their numbers. Often forage fish added to existing fisheries will be eaten quickly, and the scarcity will return. You are better off to improve habitat conditions for forage fish so that their survival and spawning success can produce a steady source of food for the gamefish. Improve the habitat, create refuges, and maybe selectively reduce predatory pressures and forage fish numbers will naturally increase. This is a basic wildlife management method.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/22/18 09:29 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
and maybe selectively reduce predatory pressures and forage fish numbers will naturally increase. This is a basic wildlife management method.

A must IMO - if forage is short and predators are not fat then ^

in conjunction with other steps noted by Bill !!!!

Last edited by ewest; 01/23/18 01:14 PM.

C
C
Did I miss the facebook live event from yesterday? Will there be next week?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Here's the Facebook link from the latest broadcast.

https://www.facebook.com/PondBossMagazine/videos/10155462930062809/

Next Wednesday, February 7, I'll have a guest, Mike Otto, from Otto's Dirt Service. For those of you who don't know Mike, he builds premier lakes and ponds along with lots of other projects from ranch roads to clearing fencelines. If there's dirt, he'll move it. He's also my partner in Pond Boss.

He's one of the funniest guys I've ever met, so plan to spend some time next Wednesday, 6:30 central time. Our main topic will be, "Planning: Getting Ready to Build the Pond or Lake of your Dreams". We'll vary off topic, based on your questions.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
One of the topics should include what to do to prevent or minimize leaks when planning a pond. All ponds leak that do not have a synthetic liner. The amount of leakage is the BIG variable. In the experience of the professionals, how much leakage is normal in a well compacted and sealed pond? Is there wording about leakage that should be included in a pond building contract?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
All ponds leak that do not have a synthetic liner.

really?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yes - all earth bottom ponds leak to some extent. Some my be very "tightly compacted but there is still a tiny amount of seepage. It is the nature of soil, even compacted clay. Listen to Lusk and Otto's Facebook live next week Feb 10 Wednesday night and they will confirm it or should bring it up when dealing with this discussion. If you do not believe it, ask a soil scientist.
Another thing you can do to verify it is look closely at the soil bank above the water line. It is wet due to wicking of the water through the soil; water is actually leaking upward.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We'll talk about leaky ponds, and what Mike does to minimize leaks, and how to prevent them in the first place.

I'll always remember, back in 1995, when we did a seminar tour. We hit five cities in two weeks. My topics were varied, as there were four or five of us giving the speeches. I was first up, with a slide show (literally, slides in a tray), about "Planning to Build a Pond". One part, I said, "Find dirt that doesn't leak". After the second time I said that, Otto grabbed me by the collar (literally), and with a slightly raised voice, said, "STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO FIND DIRT THAT DOESN'T LEAK!!! ALL DIRT LEAKS! Have you ever seen a permanent puddle?"

Hadn't thought of it that way before.

He said, "All dirt leaks. Our job is to find dirt that leaks the least!"

He's right. Water has an amazing affinity for leaving. It always seeks the path of least resistance, oozing through soils less compacted, or flowing through fractures, fissures, sand, or gravel veins. The pond builder's job is to 'read the soils' and find the best compactable clay and put it where it needs to be, whether in a dam, or to line a pond...those calls are site specific.

Tune in tonight and listen to the expert, Mike Otto!

6:30-7:30 Central Time, on the Pond Boss Facebook page.

Cody Note: There you have it from the experts- just as I said - all ponds without liners will leak. You want the pond that leaks very little. Lusk and Otto will explain how to get that well sealed pond tonight or later listen to it on Facebook live -Pond boss.

Hey - Mr Pond Boss don't forget to discuss ""how much leakage is normal in a well compacted and sealed pond? And Is there wording about leakage that should be included in a pond building contract?""

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/07/18 02:36 PM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Bill,
We printed your question, along with others, and will ask Mike verbatim.

C
C
Can someone help check the links? I go to the 'learn' section of the pondboss page and then to facebook live section and I can see red squares with the various dates. But clicking on the last few squares does not bring up an external link or an embedded facebook video. I think one of the oldest links does have an external link there. It would be good if we could link to them by clicking directly on the red tile.

I was able to go to youtube and search around and find the archived video for the 1-24-18 segment. It was good. It would be nice to embed that video or external link here.

Can't wait to get a link to last night's video.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We’ll have LeighAnn check those links. In the meantime, if you’ll go to the Pond Boss Facebook page, you can find all the broadcasts.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Try this link to find all the Pond Boss Facebook videos:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/PondBossMagazine/videos/?ref=page_internal

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Tonight's Facebook Live Broadcast will be from Texas Hunter Products headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. Guest will be Dale Baden, and our topic will be, "Feeding Fish". I have a list of questions about other topics, which we'll also address. So, tune in on the Pond Boss Facebook page from 6:30-7:30 as we go live!

C
C
It appears LeighAnn was unable to fix the links on the pondboss page? I see red tiles but they are either not up to date or clicking on them does nothing. Can they be fixed?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker

B
B
Bob, on this weeks live you were talking about when you build a pond you like to build a shelf then drop down again, and on that shelf you love to ........ then live stopped at that point when power went out. What was it that you love to do with that area?????

Last edited by BrianL; 03/02/18 03:11 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Brian,
I like to build that first shelf around 4-5' below the surface, and then cover it with pea gravel, or even coarse sand. Then, 3 to 1 slope down to 8-12' deep, and another shelf. Along that slope, I like to anchor big logs, perpendicular to shore, root ball in 7-8' of water, log going all the way to the second shelf. Rock piles, brush, artificial structure, whatever we can get our hands on, placed on the second shelf.

L
L
canyoncreek,
Please try accessing the videos on our website now. They have all been updated.
If you experience any trouble, please contact me at leighann@pondboss.com or call the office 800-687-6075

Thank you

C
C
Thank you LeighAnn, they seem to be working now! Much appreciated

B
B
Thanks Bob. DO you normally do any structure on the first shelf or just gravel? My pond filled up so fast after Mike built it I didn't get much of the structure in I had planned on. I have been adding DIY and mossback rootballs a little at a time. So far I haven't put anything on first shelf. I have a few mossbacks I have been trying to figure out where to place.

Last edited by BrianL; 03/06/18 12:41 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That first shelf is likely to grow some aquatic plants. Since it sits in the shallowest areas, wait to see if plants grow. But, if you want to add some dense cover such as Mossbacks, feel free. You can always change that if you need to.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?