Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
hijklm031495, Dalton Dowdy, Shannon Luthi, SJH-IN-SEK, mark tailor
15122 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15122 Members
36 Forums
34959 Topics
478117 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24014
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19075
Dave Davidson1 13171
Theo Gallus 12337
Who's Online
11 registered (Allen, Tbar, Shorty, Colezy44, azteca, FireIsHot, Daniel Powell, teehjaeh57, Matzilla, wbuffetjr, bucks n beaks), 166 Guests and 404 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#485225 - 01/13/18 11:46 PM Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes
Bobbss Offline

Loc: Jefferson County Missouri
I hope to get enough rain sometime soon so I can start stocking my new pond this spring.lol!It took me about a year longer to get my pond built,so my first goal to get it stocked in a way that will get me fishing the fastest without screwing things up.lol!My long-term goals are just to have a fun place to fish and a pond that looks clean.I'm not looking for trophy fish but it would be nice to have a chance of catching a 4-5 pounder every now and then.The fish I plan to stock are FHM,RES,BG,LMB and a few HSB if I can find them.I know most people on here like to only stock FHM for the first year,but I've read where some people have stocked the FHM and BG at the same time.I know there is at least one fishery near me that has on their website to stock the FHM,RES and BG together in the spring and then stock the LMB in the fall.I would like to do something like that if I can.I was also thinking of stocking advance size fish to speed things up.
My pond builder said my pond should be 3/4 acre but I was thinking I would stock it like a 1/2 acre.I may feed,and I hope to add a aerator in a year or so after we build on the property and have power.
What do you guys think?

#485228 - 01/14/18 07:33 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
If you stock FHM and they do not have time to reproduce and if they don't have a lot of cover, then they will be expensive fish food. If speed is your goal, maybe feed heavy? I originally stocked my first pond based on a recommendation from a large hatchery. It was OK, but designed to sell fish, not produce the best pond results. I had a prolonged period of snow over Ice a few years later which has let me re-balance things. Some things just take time. You can add the FHM before the pond is full. That is what I did in my third fish pond last fall after I built it and it partially filled - just added 1 lb because it had so little water (1/2 acre when it fills). When I started, I just wanted everything done. Now I really enjoy the process of getting there (and learning). Still working on the 2nd pond built in 2014 to hopefully get a fun SMB/YP pond. Most of all, have fun!

#485231 - 01/14/18 08:38 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
I can not say for sure about stocking in Missouri but here in E Texas, you could stock FHM's along with 3 to 5" BG and RES in early spring (1st of March) and follow up with some advanced yoy lmb in late fall. And if you can feed, I would because healthy BG may spawn more fry and more often. I understand wanting the fastest way to get to fishing lol

Edited by TGW1 (01/14/18 08:39 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#485236 - 01/14/18 12:24 PM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bocomo Offline

Loc: Boone County, MO (pond)
Originally Posted By: Bobbss
I hope to get enough rain sometime soon so I can start stocking my new pond this spring.lol!It took me about a year longer to get my pond built,so my first goal to get it stocked in a way that will get me fishing the fastest without screwing things up.lol!My long-term goals are just to have a fun place to fish and a pond that looks clean.I'm not looking for trophy fish but it would be nice to have a chance of catching a 4-5 pounder every now and then.The fish I plan to stock are FHM,RES,BG,LMB and a few HSB if I can find them.I know most people on here like to only stock FHM for the first year,but I've read where some people have stocked the FHM and BG at the same time.I know there is at least one fishery near me that has on their website to stock the FHM,RES and BG together in the spring and then stock the LMB in the fall.I would like to do something like that if I can.I was also thinking of stocking advance size fish to speed things up.
My pond builder said my pond should be 3/4 acre but I was thinking I would stock it like a 1/2 acre.I may feed,and I hope to add a aerator in a year or so after we build on the property and have power.
What do you guys think?

Hey Bobbss,

We have 4-5 lb LMB in our 2.2 ac MidMo pond so it is possible at our latitude but it is a LOT of work culling dink bass every year. You're only at 3/4 ac so the job will be even tougher. I would strongly encourage you to consider a HSB focus -- that's what I would do if we were starting over from scratch even for our 2.2 ac pond.

#485243 - 01/14/18 08:41 PM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
You can stock with larger fish but reduce the numbers except for FH. If you use 2 inch BG then use 2 inch LMB. If you use 4-5 inch BG in the spring then use 6 inch LMB in the fall. If you do the later than overstock the FH.

#485244 - 01/14/18 09:41 PM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bobbss Offline

Thanks guys!I was planning to overstock the FHM with 10 pounds or more.I also have a small sediment pond just above,and if it holds water well enough I plan to put some FHM in it and see what happens.I was planning to use 4"-5" BG and RES in the spring and 6"-8" LMB and HSB in the fall.
I wouldn't want to go with only HSB,I don't want to have to restock that often.I was thinking maybe 2/3 LMB and 1/3 HSB.

#485246 - 01/15/18 08:45 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
The sediment pond shoud work well to raise FHM, at least for the initial stocking.

How it works in subsequent years depends. If the elevation of the sediment pond is not much higher than the main pond, during any significant rain event small BG will swim up stream and get in the sediment pond. Small ones can swim up in as little as a half inch deep water if the inclination is not very steep. One to two inch deep water and they can swim up a pretty steep stream of water. I have watched them do it then jump up a six inch vertical drop.

Edited by snrub (01/15/18 05:52 PM)

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#485257 - 01/15/18 10:51 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bobbss Offline

Thanks Snrub, the sediment pond does set up pretty high above the main pond and is pretty steep and a little hard to walk up and down but I won't say that there is no way they could swim up it in a heavy rain.I will try to get some pictures when water is flowing if we ever get some rain.lol!My stocking plans are based on the fact that I'm counting on getting enough rain to fill it enough to stock.lol!

#485430 - 01/20/18 11:35 PM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bobbss Offline

Would it help any if I stock the FHM in early spring and the BG in late spring?Would the FHM start spawning before late spring?

#485433 - Yesterday at 07:55 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
Why not stock the FHM, BG and RES at the same time? Most everyone here stocks them all together. I would want them in and spawning the first day the water temps hit their desired spawning temps. And the only way I can do that, is to have them in the pond early.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#485437 - Yesterday at 10:35 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bobbss Offline

Thanks TGW1!Does anyone have any ideas on the amounts to stock using larger fish?The pond should be 3/4 acre but I thought I'd treat it more like a 1/2 acre.Mo Con says I'm in a 75% zone.

#485438 - Yesterday at 10:44 AM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bobbss Offline

I was thinking around 10 lbs. FHM,20 4"-5" RES,125 4"-5" BG in the spring,and 26 6"-8" LMB,12 6"-8" HSB in the fall.

#485451 - Yesterday at 07:12 PM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bill Cody Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
IMO your best success with your plan is to stock BG & LMB esp LMB that are pellet trained. This will relieve some of the predatory pressure on the smaller fish and allow them to become more established before the bass spawn the first time which could be the 1st spring after the fall stocking of 6"-8" bass. All HSB sold are pellet trained but not all LMbass. Do your homework before buying.

Edited by Bill Cody (Yesterday at 07:14 PM)

#485454 - Yesterday at 08:07 PM Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes [Re: Bobbss]
Bobbss Offline

Thanks Bill Cody!I will plan on feeding.It will probably have to be by hand at first.Until we get a house built and move on to the property,I'd be afraid a feeder might grow legs.lol!Does anyone know where to get pellet trained fish near me?

Today's Birthdays
clearwell, Duszy
Recent Posts
2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos
by beastman
2 minutes 49 seconds ago
Facebook Live Wednesday evening
by Bill Cody
Today at 04:42 PM
Toxicity of Yellow perch eggs.
by DonoBBD
Today at 03:54 PM
Snappers Under the Ice
by RAH
Today at 02:11 PM
Wanting to add Yellow Perch to my pond.
by ewest
Today at 01:25 PM
Restoring a bluegill pond
by Tayten b
Today at 11:20 AM
Should I plant eel grass in my pond??
by Dinsmoreoutdoors
Today at 09:11 AM
Hey...it's not supposed to do this in Texas!
by Tbar
Today at 08:40 AM
The dynamics of pond ice
by liquidsquid
Yesterday at 08:13 PM
Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes
by Bobbss
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Blowing Silt
Feeder
Can anyone detect an image here?