Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
Somebody takes great pics!!! Beautiful fish. Good job!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Incredible!!!!

I salute you, TJ!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Does anyone have any questions? Happy to help address anything.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Are you reproducing Walleye?

Are you on any kind of culling program for SMB, YP, or BG?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
B
TJ -Those are Awesome!Do you keep fishing pressure low on these ponds?

Do you see any recruitment on the HBC? Would be cool to add those or maybe some WE to my mix, maybe 15-20. You feed BG chunks to the HBC?

You had helped me with initial stocking numbers on the forum , my pond is over a year old now and doing great. I had asked Bob in his Wednesday calls to give me some ideas on carrying capacity and harvest info... 0.6 Acre pond, good fishing pressure and mostly by kids. I figure 5-10% of initial yearly population attrition due to hook set etc per year, especially the HSB and YP...

Bob said 250lb was good estimate for carrying capacity , said I could add some fish, and do some harvesting but didn't really elaborate.

Stocked through the year
100 YP 6-8"
50 HSB , now 12-15"
75 RES
150 HBG , now 6-8"
85 HBG, stocked at 6-8"
30 SMB, 6"-15"
15lb FHM

Feed mix of Optimal BG/Bass/ and some larger pellets they had similar to Aquamax.

Should I harvest any YP or HSB? I think this happens naturally with all the kids fishing, but maybe could take some more out this Spring , and then add some smaller YP and HSB to replace?

Last edited by beastman; 01/22/18 03:20 PM.

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
P
P
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

T. How long did it take grow the crappie and were they your original stockers?

PS beautiful fish!

A
A
Hello.

Wow nice smallmouth bass, I would like to know if they use the bed you made for them, and if you have lots of young smallmouth bass.

A+

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Are you reproducing Walleye?

Are you on any kind of culling program for SMB, YP, or BG?

So far no evidence of WE recruitment, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise for a small, clay-lined pond. I ladder stock WE every year or two to keep the population around 50/acre - I buy advanced fish [12-15"] from a hatchery up North which are only age 2. It would take me 3-4 years to grow 4-6" age 0 fish that large, so I don't mind the investment annually - literally buying time and the adult fish suffer little to no predation using this method.

BG management is an ongoing effort from ice out to ice up. Confirmed male fish showing potential are caged for potential grading and gender confirmation [Condello] and are stocked in the trophy male lepomis fishery.

I'm on a zero cull rule for YP as the population has suffered the past few seasons due to heavy predation from the apex predators. I'm trying to restore the population to it's historical glory years, next year I'll be stocking a few hundred adult fish [8"+] in another effort to get them going again.

I've only caught a few SMB demonstrating below 100 WR, but imagine I'll start seeing more that are on the decline and will cull those. Otherwise recruitment is extremely low due to dense predator population, and the only SMB stocking I perform is by selecting the top 5% fish [5-15 SMB annually] I raise for hatchery sale. I want to keep those fish in the main pond as they're showing some serious potential. Some of these exception fish grow from 1mm fry in mid May to 8" by late October. Those babies are not for sale!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
TJ -Those are Awesome!Do you keep fishing pressure low on these ponds?

Very light pressure except occasional fly casting to keep my trout fishing skills honed - I am in full management mode from ice out to ice up. This helps the solid angling experience and reduces mortality issues with repeated handling of fish throughout the year. I'm so busy with management throughout the year I couldn't fish if I wanted to. I will sample a dozen fish in the lepomis pond in the Spring and again in the Fall and compare trends, otherwise it's just feeding and water quality management.

Do you see any recruitment on the HBC? Would be cool to add those or maybe some WE to my mix, maybe 15-20. You feed BG chunks to the HBC?

Yes, I have confirmed HBCP recruitment. Fish appear inferior, slow growing, doesn't seem to be posing any management issues at this time. Yes, my HBCP benefit from my ultra secret dock feeding program learned from DRs Dave and Bruce!

You had helped me with initial stocking numbers on the forum , my pond is over a year old now and doing great. I had asked Bob in his Wednesday calls to give me some ideas on carrying capacity and harvest info... 0.6 Acre pond, good fishing pressure and mostly by kids. I figure 5-10% of initial yearly population attrition due to hook set etc per year, especially the HSB and YP...

Bob said 250lb was good estimate for carrying capacity , said I could add some fish, and do some harvesting but didn't really elaborate.

Stocked through the year
100 YP 6-8"
50 HSB , now 12-15"
75 RES
150 HBG , now 6-8"
85 HBG, stocked at 6-8"
30 SMB, 6"-15"
15lb FHM

Feed mix of Optimal BG/Bass/ and some larger pellets they had similar to Aquamax.

I would have split those HSB numbers over the course of 4-5 years, and that's probably double what I would ever recommend for a .6 acre fishery, just FYI. Good news is you can manage their population very easily through harvest. If I missed that part of your stocking plan, I apologize. Depending on goals I'd recommend 15-25 HSB/acre ladder stocked over several years. If they aren't growing well or you notice major YP predation you can safely harvest HSB under 100 WR and would benefit the fishery overall...again, just FYI.

I'm seeing solid results from the Optimal...most notably from the improved water quality. Seems less food is wasted due to increased palatability and I'm told the formulation leads to less fish waste with fewer additives, etc. If you want to push your carrying capacity consider installing an aeration system soon...it's made a major difference in managing water quality issues for me. Optimal has earned my business - they know me by name and have fallen over themselves to correct whatever issues might have occurred.

Should I harvest any YP or HSB? I think this happens naturally with all the kids fishing, but maybe could take some more out this Spring , and then add some smaller YP and HSB to replace?

If you catch underperforming fish you can choose to adjust your management strategy with more frequent feeding/improved pellets if applicable, or harvest, or a combination of both. If you harvest be sure to keep records so you have a general idea of the fishery population remaining...supplementally stock as necessary. For HSB I ladder stock annually to keep multiple year classes present. If you are witnessing YP recruitment you will likely not have to do this.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

T. How long did it take grow the crappie and were they your original stockers?

PS beautiful fish!

Hi Pat...the crappie master!

Original stocking 2010...these larger fish are originals - imagine we're getting to the end of their lifespans. I've tried to stock more but Rex can't seem to get a handle on them from Malone's any longer. Funny thing to consider is these fish were stocked at 3-4" into a 2,000 sq ft pond and had virtually no growth their first 18 months until they were transferred to the main pond [2 acres]. I wonder their top end had they not lost 1.5 years of growth...could they reach 20-21"?

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: azteca
Hello.

Wow nice smallmouth bass, I would like to know if they use the bed you made for them, and if you have lots of young smallmouth bass.

A+

Hi Azteca:

I have fashioned elevated spawning beds for SMB in a recruitment pond I constructed and the photos are somewhere on the forum...those have worked very well for me and were easy to manage/clean every year and prevented seasonal siltation issues. I used cinder blocks to raise the front end of a pallet, laid plastic mesh over the pallet, built a hemisphere of cinder blocks on top of the pallet, then filled this cavity with 2-3" rock. I surrounded the spawning beds with rock and PVC sections to provide the SMB fry some cover to escape predation.

In my main pond I have a few areas of 3-4" limestone shelves in 3-6' depths, but have found SMB bedding on fanned clay, and can verify recruitment from at least one nest observed on the clay. I would still encourage at least installing some rock fields or elevated beds if your fishery goals include SMB recruitment to provide them the best odds. SMB fry are very easy to collect if one experiences population issues.

B
B
Thanks TJ- plan to add aeration in the Spring.
You had recommended the following for a heavily fished pond / pellet fed but not trying to grow trophies: looking for high catch rates

Per 1 acre
50-100 SMB
25-50 HSB
500-750 HBG
250 RES
150-350 YP

So I did over stock HSB, my thought being I could go a bit less on other species and with the mortality involved with kids and adults for that matter ...the HSB lose each year could be high. I probably witnessed 5 or 6 snapped lines and just as many hooks or floaters after caught on the HSB....and that's just what I saw ...so I would estimate at least 10 -20 mortality on them this year.

Tough to estimate what the 'damage' is on the population but from what I saw the HSB and YP took the brunt of it.

Was thinking to add some more YP / HBG / Res is Spring ... Maybe 30/50/50 qty .

I Subscribe!
Lunker
Lunker
Good idea...this rings a bell now...good numbers for high angler catch rates. You're right mortality of HSB can be high esp with younger anglers and light tackle or caught during high temp season. Even I lost a few through the years, thus NO FISHING July-August. How are the HBG treating you? Should be frequent and aggressive and fun for kids and growing fast.

PS: YP are easy to sample in baited minnow traps...this June/July you should be able to get a good idea on YP recruitment and add more this Fall if necessary. If you cage and grow them out to 6-8"+ you'll have lower predation rates unless you can buy them that size. I suspect your HBG hammer YOY YP, then your SMB and HSB take a toll on those that manage to make it to age 1. You may need to employ supplemental YP stocking in the future...or, collect egg strands and raise them yourself and cut the hatchery off at the knees. Cody can direct your efforts.

B
B
Yes, almost all fishing is done with light tackle which makes for a good fight on all the species but the larger HSB can make it tough for the kids to bring in if the drag isn't set right. HBG growing well and easy for kids to catch. What I have been surprised about is the aggression of the YP during feeding , they hit the water at times pretty hard and I have even witnessed a couple beach themselves going after pellets by the shore. Catch rates have been good as well.

Only saw 1 RES caught

Was able to secure some of Yolk's SMB so want those YP to be a main part of the forage and hopefully SMB take to the feed some. Stocked those in the Fall.

Have even thought about stocking some BG to help with forage but think I will wait and see on the YP recruitment this year. Good idea on the cages etc, I am lucky to also have a close source for larger YP

I Subscribe!
Lunker
Lunker
Strongly advise against BG stocking, will be an ever present management issue for you down the road and they'll take up significant biomass in your carrying capacity equation since you lack predators with gape capability to effectively manage BG population. Wait and see if your fish show signs of low performance - at that time you can decide to bump up feeding rates or remove some predators or both.

B
B
Valid points , do not want them taking up so much of the carrying capacity.
While managing a smaller pond is easier I don't want to spend my time culling a bunch of BG. My mix right now is going well , if I need to adjust by culling or feed rate I will go that route. Looking forward to Spring to start the feed again.

Do you add tilapia in the Summer ? Could help with some forage and algae control .

I Subscribe!
Lunker
Lunker
I don't use Tilapia - I don't have FA issues - the little FA growth I have I remove manually and re-purpose as mulch and potting medium. Also...I believe they are illegal in NE - just not worth the hassle for me for the potential upside.

TJ-
I just have to chime in on your fish. WOWZA! Awesome stuff! It's seeing stuff like that which keeps me motivated to keep working on my own pond and fish management. Thanks!
- Luke

ps I did add some RES in October when I did some corrective stocking. Hopefully they can establish themselves and clean up my snails.

pss Your trophy BG are just mind boggling. As Sunil would say 'just sick, man!' Ha!

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ you should get the info together with the pics and do a PB article !!!! If you like I will help and if Bob doesn't steal the article I will use it as a cutting edge article. We may not have a peer reviewed article to base it on but the pics speak volumes.

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks Eric, as you know I'm happy to help anyone any way I can!

Lunker
Lunker
Great Condello shot from the trophy Lepomis pond:

OP Offline
TJ, would you have any full body shots of that BG? A fatty for sure, congrats.

AL

Lunker
Lunker
Its a Condello shot...I don't have any others unfortunately.

M
M
Good lord I would be in heaven icing those fish!!!

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??