Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#483221 11/27/17 01:02 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hey all, first post but I've searched this forum extensively since moving into a new home in south Kansas City with a 3 acre lake. It is such a unique spot but I believe the lake can use some love and care!

I'll have to get pictures and post the lake info sometime, but to cut to the chase on my specific question.... The lake has a severe silt/muck problem likely caused by the large number of matures trees/organic material surrounding the lake, and the farming operation above that drains into the lake eventually. 12"-36" of silt is my best guess.

For now, I'd like to blow silt out into the middle of the lake away from my dock and the lake edge (dredging or draining just isn't in the cards right now). I was about to pull the trigger on a 1hp Aqua Thruster with portable stand (~$1,500); but stumbled across ice eaters made specifically for waterfowl hunters that have the same spec's but are significantly cheaper (~$850).

Anyone have any experience in blowing silt and/or using these ice eaters? I have a 50# thrust trolling motor and was impressed at how quickly it removed the silt build-up, but need something more dedicated and more powerful.

Aqua Thruster: https://weedersdigest.com/aqua-thruster-with-freestanding-frame/

Ice Eater: https://www.higdondecoys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=28551

Last edited by caseysmith14; 12/03/17 08:02 AM.
L
L
Interesting, I didn't know such a thing existed. Combine this with an Alum treatment to settle the suspended particles, as this will likely make your water a muddy mess at first.

Another thing to consider in the future is a silt settlement pond that captures the silt before it enters the lake. The idea is to make it easier and cheaper to clean out than the main pond would be.

C
OP Offline
C
Good deal, I will look into the Alum treatment as you mentioned, thank you! I may pull the trigger on the Ice Eater fairly soon, just don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as well as the Aqua Thruster.

There is a small 3/4 acre pond just above this lake that I'd imagine was a great settling pond and filtered out silt/organic material but the dam ripped open on it 3 years ago as I'm told. I can only imagine how much silt dumped into the main lake now. I'd like to get that repaired but access is very tough; steep rock bluffs and tall mature trees surrounding this entire drainage system.

C
OP Offline
C

First time I tried to upload an image so no idea if that link will work; but it shows the lake and surrounding land. The settling pond is algae covered at that time, although it wasn't covered this year. Very steep contours once you get into the drainage, my house is right on the south shoreline of the main lake.

Last edited by caseysmith14; 11/28/17 09:26 AM.
T
T
No photo I can see but shows what looks to be home page for photobox

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
C
OP Offline
C
Should work now..... I read the "Tutorial On Uploading Photos".... I'm a slow learner!

C
OP Offline
C
Just to feel more confident this may work, I spent an hour using the trolling motor to blow silt out and away from the dock and shoreline earlier this week. While this setup is far from ideal and not efficient, I am impressed with the results for the small section I focused on. Can finally see rocks and gravel on the lake bottom instead of the unsightly silty bottom it normally has. It is also amazing how much the bass like it too, they are locked on the now-hard bottom area I cleaned up.

I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy an ice eater and really give this a try. Will try to get before and after pictures.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/452543...and-large-stand

C
OP Offline
C
Initial results are in..... and I think it is looking very promising!

Here are a couple pic's of the ice eater in work. I don't get good enough sun in the winter to get decent pic's of the results, but it will be a work in progress.

The ice eater is 1hp and seems to do a great job at blowing silt a long ways. It really starts to make a difference if I get out in waders and use a rigid rake to agitate the lake bottom while its running. I'd speculate that I've added 1-2ft of depth in various areas, exposing gravel and rock bottom in what use to have a layer of soft silt and muck.

I pulled the ice eater out for the winter before the lake froze over, but it's been amazing to see how much the fish like holding around the gravel and rocks compared to before.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday