Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Looking good!

I think I must have missed it. What species of SF did you end up stocking?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/14/17 06:46 PM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
Originally Posted By: KapHn8d
I stocked FHM/RR, BG/CNBG, and a few RES this afternoon.

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
Thanks Dragon!

I think the pond will be full of stunted SF in not too long. Maybe ok if fishing is not the goal.

[Linked Image]
KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
Fishing is not the goal, but I am curious is you comment is based on pond size or running out of smaller fish? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to "managing" fish population and growth.

I hand feed in the mornings just after dawn over coffee and again at dusk over bourbon... you know, the way nature intended it. I live a short drive from a fishery, so restocking minnows is not more drive than going to get a burger. I am not really focused on growing giant fish in a tiny, tiny pond, but I do want to learn for when I have a larger acreage pond. My wife and I are opportunistically looking for a couple hundred acres further from any major city to use as recreational property. At least one larger pond or a great site to build one is one of my criteria, so this knowledge would come in handy eventually.

Thanks!
Clayton

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Thanks Dragon!
I think the pond will be full of stunted SF in not too long. Maybe ok if fishing is not the goal.

Last edited by KapHn8d; 11/15/17 09:53 AM.

96.85840735 percent clayton... the rest is just pi.

We become what we think about.
S
S
You could put in a single 9" LMB at some later point, maybe next spring, to help keep the sunfish numbers down.

With only one you would not have to worry about recruitment and getting too many LMB. A single LMB might not totally control the BG, but it sure would make a good dent in them in that size pond. Plus you could name it as it soon would grow to a large size and look like Moby Dick in among the other fish. grin

It could get expensive though if you start feeding your new LMB pet McNuggets - don't forget the sauce

Edit: for some of the newer members, they may not have noticed one of our very own PBF members featured in that video known to us as gar king but on YouTube is known as the Fish Whisperer.

Last edited by snrub; 11/15/17 12:20 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J
If you put in one or two albino CC, they would be fun to watch and kids could feed them pellets.

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
Haha! That McNugget video was hilarious. I like the idea of adding a LMB later... just figured any more than one would be a sure way to vacuum everything else out.

I also really like the albino CC idea... and have actually looked for where to get a couple, but have not been successful. Apparently, they are opportunistically snatched up as soon as they show up at fisheries. I asked the guy I bought my SF and minnows from and he acted like they rarely saw them...

I'll keep lookin'

/c

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
Quick, but interesting update:

There is a mostly-dry creek that runs through my property. I say mostly dry because there are parts of it with pools that hold water for months without evaporating out, but the creek only runs after regional rainfall. I have a bridge in my yard to cross the creekbed and there is a pool area downstream of the bridge that holds water until it evaporates out. I noticed some tadpoles in that pool and took a net down to see what all I'd scoop out. Turns out, there were a decent number of young crawfish in the pool. I probably scooped a dozen or more in the 5 minutes or so I was there... which I tossed in my little mini-pond.

I looked for some data on county records where I live (Grimes county) and it seems the recorded species in Grimes are: Cambarus diogenes (a.k.a. Devil Crawfish), Procambarus clarkii (a.k.a. Louisiana Swamp Crawfish or Red Swamp Crawfish), and Fallicambarus houstonensis (a.k.a. Houston Burrowing Crayfish).

The latter seems to not only be IUNC listed, but also ONLY exists in 8 counties in Texas ( Liberty, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Grimes, Harris, and Walker). This is really interesting to me.

Are any of you savvy enough with crawfish identification to point me toward how I might tell which of the species I stumbled onto today? I probably won't see the ones I put in the pond anytime soon (if ever), but I may be able to grab another few from the temporary pool in the creek tomorrow for a closer look.

Just throwing it out there in case someone may know...

Cheers!
/c

ps. still no luck on sourcing a couple albino CC... still looking

S
S
You have probably seen this. It has pictures but likely not good enough for positive identification.
Texas crayfish varieties

Last edited by snrub; 11/20/17 10:37 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
Ahh, thanks, John. I had not seen that link, but I'm saving it.
I appreciate the help. We'll see if I can get a better look manana.

Cheers!
/c

Originally Posted By: snrub
You have probably seen this. It has pictures but likely not good enough for positive identification.
Texas crayfish varieties

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline

A few hundred more moved over this morning.

/c

A few hundred more moved over this morning.

/c

I think Bill Cody will help. He'll need close-up photos of the underside of the tail, I think.

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
I was able to get an ID via iNaturalist.

This is a Red River Burrowing Crayfish (Procambarus curdi).

I also was incorrect in local species distribution... there are 13 species of crayfish in Grimes county.

Cheers!
/c

Fishing is not the goal, but I am curious is you comment is based on pond size or running out of smaller fish? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to "managing" fish population and growth.

I hand feed in the mornings just after dawn over coffee and again at dusk over bourbon... you know, the way nature intended it. I live a short drive from a fishery, so restocking minnows is not more drive than going to get a burger. I am not really focused on growing giant fish in a tiny, tiny pond, but I do want to learn for when I have a larger acreage pond. My wife and I are opportunistically looking for a couple hundred acres further from any major city to use as recreational property. At least one larger pond or a great site to build one is one of my criteria, so this knowledge would come in handy eventually.

Thanks!
Clayton

Thanks Dragon!

Sorry for the late reply Clayton. I just saw your post.

My thought was simply that BG are prolific and produce huge numbers of offspring per season. Without a predator to keep their numbers in check, they can tend to over eat their available forage and stunt. Right or wrong, I think of it in pounds of fish a pond can support. For example, if your pond can support 100lbs then it could be 200 8oz BG or 800 2oz BG. IMO With no predators, the BG population will move towards the stunted 800 or more. Adding food could work for a while to get the fish bigger but the pond only has so much capacity to process waste before the water quality will degrade.

Keep in mind I'm not a pro...just my 1 cent

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/21/17 09:03 PM.

[Linked Image]
KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
No need to apologize what-so-ever, Bill... I am just trying to learn and I appreciate any little nuggets of wisdom and experience I can get... no timeline or expectation at all.

I get what you are saying. I sort of relate it to my father's high fenced ranch where they support more deer (mostly exotics) than the land can naively support by supplemental feeding (protein, corn, etc). A pond is probably similar in that there is a natural equilibrium that you can push a little with feeding, but it will always be tugging toward the natural balance.

Since growing trophy fish isn't really my goal, I'm ok with however it works out. I have a lot to learn when it comes to how to manage the populations so there is a win-win for the fish and for me.

I appreciate you...

Cheers,
Clayton

Sorry for the late reply Clayton. I just saw your post.

My thought was simply that BG are prolific and produce huge numbers of offspring per season. Without a predator to keep their numbers in check, they can tend to over eat their available forage and stunt. Right or wrong, I think of it in pounds of fish a pond can support. For example, if your pond can support 100lbs then it could be 200 8oz BG or 800 2oz BG. IMO With no predators, the BG population will move towards the stunted 800 or more. Adding food could work for a while to get the fish bigger but the pond only has so much capacity to process waste before the water quality will degrade.

Keep in mind I'm not a pro...just my 1 cent

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
Random thought this morning, but just wanted to share... I go out with my coffee in the mornings and toss some feed in, sit back and enjoy watching the fish eat and some quiet time next to the pond. I have noticed slowly, as the CNBG have started to grow a little, they are popping the top of the water more violently to eat. The minnows are all still just grazing along the surface like hungry hippos, but these sunfish are hit and run... anyway, it makes me smile. I'm enjoying watching the fish settle in and am really looking forward to next spring/summer temps when they spawn. Ponds are great.

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
It's been a quick minute since I shared any updates on my little mini-pond, but here is a short clip of some of my little bluegill from this summer:

I've really enjoyed watching this pond change over the last few years. Have a great week, y'all!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great vid. You have at least one non-BG. A very red/gold fish who likes pellets.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Can you post an updated picture now with everything matured? I have a very limited are to put a pond on my property and am very interested in your set up. Thanks

KapHn8d Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by airborne3118
Can you post an updated picture now with everything matured? I have a very limited are to put a pond on my property and am very interested in your set up. Thanks

Sure. Here is a recent pic coming into fall this year.

[Linked Image from thispageintentionallyleftblank.net]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass