Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
deewayne2003, John Rolfe, B-rad, Cheryll, Steve Smewing
15415 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15415 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
484936 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24027
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19348
Dave Davidson1 13375
Bill Cody 12366
Who's Online
22 registered (RAH, Daniel Powell, Mike Whatley, Clay N' Pray, anthropic, teehjaeh57, dreams of ponds, DrLuke, Bob-O, wbuffetjr, Matzilla, Custom 68, snrub, Zep, Redonthehead, Bill Douglas, Sunil, bucks n beaks, RStringer, bobframe, FayetteTX, John Fitzgerald), 265 Guests and 487 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#483970 - 12/10/17 11:48 PM Out the Bottom or Out the sides ??
Pond Star Offline

Loc: Oregon
Going to try and tackle my 4 year leaking problem again this spring/summer.

2/3 acre pond - dug and dammed - steep sides - 11' deep at deepest spot - hit shale when digging in an area about 1/3 the total size of the pond - covered bottom with minimum 2' clay - sides may not have gotten that much - no compaction as compaction guy didn't show and then it started raining.

Initially could see water leaking out in several spots at the toe of embankment in a 225' stretch when pond first filled.

Have tried Soilfloc in the end where we hit shale without any noticeable change. Added 624 cubic yards of clay two years ago (sides and bottom) and it helped some - but again the compaction guy did not show - so got no real compaction...... and it started raining before I could get someone else.

Pond drops rapidly after rain stops at end of winter - 6 foot in about two-three weeks - then slows down considerably and after 2 months loses very little and no leak at toe of dam. (deepest part now approx 3-4 feet)

So the question -- how do you ascertain if it it leaking out the bottom when the pressure is high (full pond) or is going down thru the sides? No noticeable interior leaking holes. So I don't know whether to concentrate efforts on the bottom or the sides ?

#483975 - 12/11/17 08:02 AM Re: Out the Bottom or Out the sides ?? [Re: Pond Star]
snrub Online   content

Loc: SE Kansas
Might be safest to just add clay to any obvious area of shale or porus soil and recompact the entire bowl. Making sure all areas are covered adequately. Then you know for sure what you have.

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#484002 - 12/11/17 03:30 PM Re: Out the Bottom or Out the sides ?? [Re: Pond Star]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Mine also leaks. The only way I can figure out where is to drain the darn thing and look.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#484015 - 12/11/17 05:58 PM Re: Out the Bottom or Out the sides ?? [Re: Pond Star]
Bob Lusk Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker

Loc: Whitesboro, Texas
Water seeping out the back toe of the dam suggests the dam wasn't cored properly. If that's the case, then the entire pond bottom, and up the sides, needs to have compacted clay. Or, you may able to dig a core trench, backfill, and compact it well into each end of the dam, beyond where the dam ties into the hillsides.

I'd be tempted to dig into the front side slope, above the water level, digging several feet below the water level, and see if these test holes fill with water. If so, you can resolve it with a core trench. Mike Otto wrote a story about digging a core trench after the fact and compacting it with a remote-controlled ditch compactor.

I'd be tempted to call Mike and discuss it with him.

Today's Birthdays
benji havens
Recent Posts
Pond not filling up?
by Matzilla
16 minutes 3 seconds ago
Bird leg fish transport
by Bob-O
22 minutes 2 seconds ago
Legal Question
by Zep
22 minutes 31 seconds ago
To use Japanese Beetles as feed OR not?
by John Fitzgerald
Today at 02:39 PM
Never been much for fishing, but maybe someday....
by snrub
Today at 02:14 PM
New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo.
by Bobbss
Today at 01:32 PM
Cloverleaf won't catch BHC
by Dave Davidson1
Today at 01:21 PM
Quick question...
by ewest
Today at 12:38 PM
How adaptable are LMB?
by ewest
Today at 12:34 PM
Bullhead?