Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
dhadam, Brian N., MidMoAdam, Tayten b, squareacrefarm
15053 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15053 Members
36 Forums
34849 Topics
476629 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24014
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18987
Dave Davidson1 13130
Theo Gallus 12335
Who's Online
11 registered (hobbyman, Bill D., Archer82, dhadam, MidMoAdam, Mal, 4CornersPuddle, John Fitzgerald, WDD, Zep, Flame), 167 Guests and 388 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#483823 - 12/06/17 09:14 PM The great divide.
sprkplug Offline
Ambassador
Lunker

Loc: Freedom, Indiana
In the end, there's just too much real estate between our positions. I want to be clear in that it is my decision to leave, and I'm doing so voluntarily. To the many friends I've made here over the years, thank you. Remember to bleed, sweat, and cry over whatever's important to you....doing so helps make it yours, more so than writing a check ever will.

I've asked that I be able to access my pm's for a few days, if anyone would like to trade contact information. Peace, and take care.

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.

#483825 - 12/06/17 09:19 PM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Good luck in your endeavors sprkplug. It has been a pleasure to converse with you and I will miss your input for the HBG that I have also come to appreciate.

#483830 - 12/06/17 10:42 PM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
canyoncreek Offline

Loc: West Michigan
It is a sad sad day for pond boss. Sparkplug who has helped in many ways on this forum since 2008 and has posted nearly 7000 times and helped many of us in countless ways has had line drawn in the sand by the mods on this forum.

His only given choice was to apologize publicly to Sunil (for his post where he simply was chiming in to support the opinion of another poster who raised concern that the forum was drifting in a direction that was not a good one.) or to leave the forum. Of course if he chose to leave that would be 'his choice'. To our knowledge there was no similar directive given to Sunil.

I will again publicly come to his defense. Sparkplug made no attacks in his post but stated a 'me too' to a post that indicated that there those who feel that the focus of this forum and its activities is perceived by some to be straying from where it could/should be. Others also (myself included) are of the same opinion. It seems it should be OK to express your opinion or your difference in opinion without fear of reprisal.

We all can read Sunil's response and then the emails that followed. Later Bob re-iterated the rules for all of us. Well for some of us. Rereading Bob's rules and Sunil's post and it bothers me that Sunil as a moderator is exempt from the rules. Clearly it takes 2 to tangle but Sunil started in with personal attacks, then used personal physical or emotional features peculiar to Sprkplug as a means to discriminate or poke fun, used his personal financial status as a tool to ridicule, and then drug up old axes to regrind them publicly. This is way beyond both the letter and spirit of Bob's rules.

Bob insists that because he knows Sunil and broke bread with him then he is exempt from critique. I don't know Sunil but even good men can stray and then need to return, hat in hand, and apologize.

Several times in the past when controversial posts come up, we are told the mods get together, read the post, discuss agonize, then decide how to proceed. Does this only happen with the common joe user's posts? Are the mods exempt from the same review process? Do not all the other moderators see that Sunil's post in many ways crossed the boundaries that Bob has set up? Even the simplest guideline Bob gave, namely, I should be comfortable letting my children read Sunil's post, is violated. I'm really sorry that the moderators didn't ask Sunil to refrain, rephrase, or delete his post. If they had exercised better judgment, and took the high road following Bob's guidelines, then much of the emotional pain Sparkie is going through (and those of us who hate to see him go) would not have to have happened.

The ripple effect of this will not be a positive thing for the general well being and future of this forum.

It was also discouraging to read that users will only be welcome here if they actively financially support the board and the magazine and only if they encourage others to do the same. It was not disclosed to me that being a member here had strings attached, or that there would be pressure on all of us to pay up or recruit others to pay to play here.

If Sprkplug is being treated this way because he did not contribute enough financially, then please make that more clear at the time new members sign up. If the forum must become a pay to play forum then please disclose that, set the fees, and let all of us decide whether the forum dues, the magazine subscriptions, or purchasing ads etc is the best way we can support this very worthwhile forum.

sprkplug did decide to leave but he also was put in that spot for the reasons laid out above. I'm very sorry and discouraged that Bob would not hold Sunil accountable at a higher level and expect his posts to be even more aligned with the Bob Lusk standard that he laid out in his recent post. Certainly those in authority as moderators should put others well being ahead of their own, be slow to blame, quick to apologize, and in so doing will keep this forum a friendlier, fairer place.

Whether this post will be allowed to be posted or not is hard for me to say. Free speech is not so free anymore. I hate to write this post. It has been eating at me for days. But watching a good man get an unfair verbal harassment when he was truly trying to make this forum a better place and then be placed in a position where there was no just way for him to stay and feel the wrongs have been mitigated.. it is really sad.

Pond Boss in a way can be like family and that is a great blessing. Family members quarrel, things can be said out of the heat of a passionate exchange of ideas or opinions. Feelings can be hurt. Old grudges can come up. But then family members need to discuss the hurt, apologize (and mean it) and then the healing starts. I feel like in this case the wedge was left in, the pain remains, and instead of reconciliation after a disagreement, a brother could hang around the family homestead as the newly minted outcast, or probably would be better off leaving. Of course, it was 'his decision' to leave though..

Enough. Life goes on.

Sprkplug, many thanks for your contributions and your help to myself and others. You will be missed here. Your willingness to make this forum better because it was important to you even though it came to blood, sweat, and tears is inspiring for all of us.

#483832 - 12/06/17 11:00 PM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
Bob Lusk Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker

Loc: Whitesboro, Texas
I wonít get into a sparring match.
Canyoncreek, your passionate defense of Tony is admirable. Your conclusions are based on assumptions which arenít based in fact.
I choose to keep those facts in house, facts about Tony and the moderators. I see them as personal, not for public consumption.

It isnít too much to ask forum members to subscribe to the magazine. They can certainly say ďnoĒ as many have. But, if we donít ask, people donít even know about the magazine.
Your opinions are welcome, here, as Tonyís have been. The rules are clear and fresh. I expect EVERYONE to abide.
And, this thread wonít turn into a war of words. Iíll allow a little latitude, as long as there is respect. Your post borders the disrespect Iím talking about.

#483833 - 12/06/17 11:01 PM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
4CornersPuddle Online   content

Loc: southwest Colorado
sprkplug, thanks for every bit of your input here over the years. Please know that the forum loses with your departure.

And, to both snrub and canyoncreek, thanks for your above posts.

Also, Bob thanks for your post above. You and I were typing at the same time, so it seems.

Edited by 4CornersPuddle (12/06/17 11:28 PM)

#483834 - 12/06/17 11:23 PM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
Zep Online   content
Hall of Fame 2014

Loc: Dallas & Wills Point, Tx
Sparkplug shouldn't quit...but good luck to him & maybe consider a come back in 2018 after a break.

I'm cool with differing opinions, but hey it works both ways

I support Sunil
and his statement below about a person that basically complains about the forum, complains about the magazine, complains about the mods, complains about rule enforcement, and complains about the conference all the while Bob works his ass off trying to hold this community together..."mods should do this...mods should do that" blah, blah, blah...owning a small business over the years we have told a very select few disgruntled "hey honestly..go start your own business...see how it turns out for ya...it should be a real picnic for ya...especially since you have so many "dime a dozen all talk-no action great ideas" and complain about basically everything here". There is no "great divide" here at Pond Boss. You like this place you stay, you don't you depart without making a big scene. Maybe now we can get back to ponds, fish, docks, and coffee on Christmas morning overlooking the pond.

Sunil:
"I will never sit back idly and watch someone take a big dump on something I love, and something that has provided so deeply for myself and others for close to (15) years"

#483839 - 12/07/17 06:29 AM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
This is really the only forum that I regularly participate in and I do not support it financially except favoring those that advertise here. I do try to help posters out if I think I can locate helpful information that I can post here. As a scientist, I try to be clear what is evidence vs. belief or ideology. I guess that I feel my investment in time to try to help others is some payback for my privilege to participate. I have had a few debates here that had an edge on them which sometimes happens when one has passion for something. I have found that the moderators were fair with me considering the clear rules (sometimes debates were continued in private PMs). These rules make this a low stress place to visit which is rare these days. We are all built differently and age can sometimes make us mellow a bit as it has with me. I did not read the thread that precipitated this "event" but clearly both participants were made to feel bad. As such, apologies may be in order on both sides no matter what the particulars were or "who was right". Especially around the holiday time, please consider building some bridges that might forge strong positive relationships. This situation is salvageable with some effort and humility. We have all been there. Please take a deep breath!

Edited by RAH (12/07/17 06:30 AM)

#483862 - 12/07/17 07:30 PM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
Bill D. Online   content

Loc: Boone County Illinois
You will be greatly missed Tony!

Unfortunate outcome but, IMO, no point in further debating of what occurred.

Bottomline...Bob owns the forum and it is at his discretion as to what opinions can be expressed as well as who the forum rules of conduct apply to and whether they are enforced or not.

Take care!

PM sent with my contact info,

Bill D.

Edited by Bill D. (12/08/17 07:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Typo

You'll never know what ya can catch unless you wet a line!

#483872 - 12/08/17 09:36 AM Re: The great divide. [Re: sprkplug]
SetterGuy Offline

Loc: NE Missouri
Sad news. This is, by far, the smallest forum I visit. To lose a good contributor is no small thing. I don't get a lot out of the magazine, but I do keep subscribing. I appreciate the resource that this forum represents. But, in the end, I guess we all have to make our decisions, and live with them. I will miss sprkplug. Wish things could have been worked out.
Jeff

#483880 - 12/08/17 10:56 AM Re: The great divide. [Re: Zep]
Rainman Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Loc: St Louis, MO area
Originally Posted By: Zep
Sparkplug shouldn't quit...but good luck to him & maybe consider a come back in 2018 after a break.

I support Sunil
and his statement below about a person that basically complains about the forum, complains about the magazine, complains about the mods, complains about rule enforcement, and complains about the conference all the while Bob works his ass off trying to hold this community together..."mods should do this...mods should do that" blah, blah, blah...owning a small business over the years we have told a very select few disgruntled "hey honestly..go start your own business...see how it turns out for ya...it should be a real picnic for ya...especially since you have so many "dime a dozen all talk-no action great ideas" and complain about basically everything here". There is no "great divide" here at Pond Boss. You like this place you stay, you don't you depart without making a big scene. Maybe now we can get back to ponds, fish, docks, and coffee on Christmas morning overlooking the pond.

Sunil:
"I will never sit back idly and watch someone take a big dump on something I love, and something that has provided so deeply for myself and others for close to (15) years"

A solid +1 !!!

www.TilapiaStockers.com

#483883 - 12/08/17 11:24 AM Re: The great divide. [Re: Rainman]
Tbar Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: Zep

I support Sunil

Sunil:

A solid +1 !!!

And I will give that a +2

Today's Birthdays
bobguillory, cchoate, Gary R. Hoenicke, John H., Loren, Loren Willis
Recent Posts
Believe I finally found leak source
by Archer82
0 seconds ago
Draining Old Farm Pond
by MidMoAdam
27 minutes 4 seconds ago
1/2 acre ohio pond help