Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
dhadam, Brian N., MidMoAdam, Tayten b, squareacrefarm
15053 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15053 Members
36 Forums
34849 Topics
476629 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24014
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18987
Dave Davidson1 13130
Theo Gallus 12335
Who's Online
11 registered (hobbyman, Bill D., Archer82, dhadam, MidMoAdam, Mal, 4CornersPuddle, John Fitzgerald, WDD, Zep, Flame), 167 Guests and 388 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#482902 - 11/20/17 09:49 AM Another Otter bites the dust
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
I had no idea I would become a trapper some day. But I have to say Thanks again to Highflyer for teaching me. It was not in my life's plan. An outdoors man, yes. A fisherman yep! But not a trapper. But yesterday, I caught another river otter in the pond. The first this year and now I have trapped a total of five from the pond over the past two years. Have also trapped one really big beaver. I keep a close eye on the pond and have learned to look for otter scat, it's easy to tell their scat form other's. Look for poop that is loaded with fish scales. It looks like any other poop but with scales. They also like to investigate or take up residence in beaver dens and that is were I caught this one. An entrance to a beavers den. I used a CB 330 trap to catch it and will leave the traps out year round. checking traps daily along with making adjustments to the traps on occasions.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#482911 - 11/20/17 11:43 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
Chris Steelman Offline

Lunker

Loc: Red River County,Tx
Good job. I've trapping beaver for a few members on here.

I'm going to get into trapping coyotes, possums, and raccoons on my property. My first baby on the way put a damper on that for this year but I'm going to start rounding up the equipment and my start around New Years and in the spring.

#482912 - 11/20/17 11:51 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: Chris Steelman]
DrLuke Offline

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
Good job. I've trapping beaver for a few members on here.

I'm going to get into trapping coyotes, possums, and raccoons on my property.

We use coni boxes, which are great on coons (and whatever else can crawl inside, like possum). Advantages for easy setup and baiting, and weather does not impact their function. But you will have to build them...

Edited by DrLuke (11/20/17 11:52 AM)

#482927 - 11/20/17 05:25 PM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
Chris Steelman Offline

Lunker

Loc: Red River County,Tx
I bought a few Dog proof traps to start. They are cheap and easy to set.

#482951 - 11/21/17 09:54 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

For me, I don't like trapping. It is just what I have to do at the pond. Most likely because it is close to a bayou, a travel corridor/path for a lot of our animals here in E Texas. Like others, I don't care for all the raccoons and possums along with river otters, beavers etc that are on my place from time to time. And with the 5 farm cats we have, they investigate everything and would probable put their paws in the dog proof traps. And I would not use the traps Dr Luke is using because of the same with the cats and or dogs around. I would feel terrible if one of my neighbors dogs were in the CB 330 box trap. And I may have to remove my traps in the pond soon because I have a new Golden Retriever pup that will be here by Christmas. He just opened his eyes last week. And my last duck hunting Golden, I cold not keep her out of the pond, she loved to swim.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#483080 - 11/23/17 01:38 PM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Tracy, I'd just set the traps out when you see sign that there are critters there that you don't want. That way you only have to curtail the pup for a short amount of time.

Some states do not allow setting Conibear 330's on dry land, I'm pretty sure the traps in the 'coon boxes are 220's.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#483102 - 11/24/17 07:34 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

Scott, that's the plan. After the pup arrives I will remove the traps and add them only when I see signs of otters or beavers. The only problem I see, is with this last otter, I saw nothing to indicate the otter was there, Until I found him in the trap. He was alive even though he was caught at the hips. That told me he had Just been caught. I finished him off with the 22 mag I carry daily. With the drought going on at my place and the water is down in the bayou, that is the times I usually find such things as beavers or otters in the pond.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#483109 - 11/24/17 10:17 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: DrLuke]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Just a warning guys, careful about posting pictures on the internet if they are not 100% legal.

I'm not even sure what all the laws are about fur bearing animals and what a landowner has a right to do with out permits, yada, yada, yada, where I live in Kansas.

But I do know there are people that have nothing better to do than observe and turn people in to authorities. Then the authorities are obliged to check it out, even if they do not want to.

Local conservation guy says any time a bulldozer is working near a creek in bottom land he will get an anonymous call about it. Then he is obliged to check it out. It rarely is a problem. But the point is sometimes people are watching our actions without us knowing it. Google earth is a historic record about what is done in what are potential wetlands with more regulations than any single person could ever understand. And people watch it just to turn people in to the authorities.

Just saying. Be aware.

Edited by snrub (11/24/17 10:20 AM)

#483136 - 11/25/17 07:58 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

snrub, I agree. One should know the laws prior to Opening mouth and inserting foot, or posting pics so to speak. In Texas, a land owner can take some fur baring animals if they are a nuisance animal. Otters can fall into that category. Cormorants were in that category until the Feds got involved. Texas is a state that gives a land owner a lot of power over our own land. Unlike many states from what I have seen on this forum. Louisiana is close to the same.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#483137 - 11/25/17 08:09 AM Re: Another Otter bites the dust [Re: TGW1]
Zep Online   content
Hall of Fame 2014

Loc: Dallas & Wills Point, Tx
Originally Posted By: TGW1
In Texas cormorants were in that category until the Feds got involved.

smirk

Today's Birthdays
bobguillory, cchoate, Gary R. Hoenicke, John H., Loren, Loren Willis
Recent Posts
Believe I finally found leak source
by Archer82
0 seconds ago
Draining Old Farm Pond
by MidMoAdam
27 minutes 4 seconds ago
1/2 acre ohio pond help
by dhadam