Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 706 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Several years ago a USPS "If It Fits, It Ships" box arrived from my long time Texas Pond Boss friend Dave Davidson.

The box held a beautiful handmade knife. The knife is perfectly shaped and proportioned for the meat butchering/preparation things that Dave knows I enjoy doing. The knife will never wear out in either of our lifetimes. I only need to swipe it a couple of times on a sharpening-steel, now and then, to keep it razor sharp.

I mostly use it during deer season, but it is also great for doing my annual side of beef and our annual hog.

This year's West Virginia rifle deer season opened this past Monday morning at about 6:30 AM. As I was pouring my first cup of coffee, I noticed a herd of antlerless (I only take antlerless) deer enjoying their breakfast near my lower pond. I put a single and customary 150 grain bullet in my old Winchester 94 lever action 30-30 carbine. I had checked the sighting at 50 yards the evening before, with a couple of bullets from the same box of shells.

I walked out the basement door half-cocked(30-30 lever action safety position) with the solitary shell in the chamber. A beautiful big doe was browsing about 30 yards away. She gave me one look when I walked out the basement door, and went back to munching. None of the other deer paid any attention to me. I let go a blast. She immediately collapsed to the ground without any other movement. When I checked her, she had a tuft of grass between her front teeth. I was happy that she didn't suffer. I went back to the house for more coffee and breakfast.

My wife happened to be looking through our upstairs bedroom window when I took my shot. She said that the other dozen or so antlerless deer were mostly undisturbed by the shot, and quickly went back to grazing.

After breakfast is when my feeble old brain kind of betrayed me. On my way out the kitchen door to get the tractor, I grabbed the field dressing tools I had set outside the basement door, such as my old rain coat with sleeves that that snap tightly around my wrists, Kevlar gloves for use under my rubber gloves, a deer hanging gambrel that fits my tractor front-end loader, a hatchet (for pelvis/breastbone), shovel (to move the innards from the middle of the path to the pond), etc.

The tools should have included Dave's knife. I looked high and low in every place I figured I had walked. I couldn't find it.

I gutted the deer with my 2-inch Old-Timer pocket knife!

When I brought the deer to the basement butchering kitchen door, hanging from the tractor front-end loader, I went up the basement stairs for more coffee. Dave's knife was on the 3rd or 4th step where I couldn't possible miss it!

Thankfully, I found it so I could quickly and cleanly skin and quarter the deer.

I'm just finishing the butchering and vacuum sealing. Dave's knife and my 50+ year old Rapala fish filet knife did it all.

Thank you Pond Boss Dave D.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. This was apparently the unlucky 13th deer of the herd. The other deer haven't moved far. Twelve antlerless deer crossed in front of me as I went out the driveway this morning.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Glad you're enjoying it Ken. If I could find a deer that I want to shoot, I could use the one I did for me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Catmandoo, thanks for the story. As I grow older I seem to lose things. Sometimes I find it and sometimes I don't. frown

Dave, the knife you made sounds like a really nice one. Can you give up the knife building directions, like the piece of metal you started with and go from there? Hope you don't mind me asking. I think it is cool to build a knife for a friend or family member.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, Once up on a time, I built knives the old fashioned way; kinda blacksmithing with files, lawnmower blades and industrial hacksaw blades. I quit for a long time and then tried to start again. Arthritis in my hands make that a real chore. Then, I discovered Jantz Supply in Oklahoma through another guy. He showed me the blades made by Russell Green River. I remembered that they were the company that supplied knives to the early mountain men who were trappers. That intrigued me and I bought a couple of them. They are high carbon steel(not water or rust proof) which takes and holds an edge. I realized that I couldn't make a better blade. They start out spooky sharp. I "built" some skinners and gave then away. Ken got one because he skins and butchers a lot of deer.

I buy craft wood and use a 2 inch sander or a 1 inch. I have 4 altogether. I also now have hearing aids after doing a couple hundred. 5/32 inch brass rod from the hardware store and epoxy make it all come together. Just about any kind of furniture/wood finish will complete it.

HEARING PROTECTION, leather gloves and a leather apron are also used.
By now, I can knock one out in less than AN hour over 2 days time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tracy,

If you get into knife building, talk to FireIsHot (Al) for some additional safety tips. Dave got Al started in the hobby. As Dave said, the blanks are spooky sharp. Al's incident included blood and bandages.

Ken

T
T
Thanks guys for the info on the knives. I have recently moved into simi retirement and am finding some free time. I am not one who cares much for free time. The Good LORD, made me hyper lol. And my son is kind of a knife collector. After the post, I thought maybe a knife passed down might be good. So I was interested with your story Dave.

Last night, after the thanksgiving meals, I was searching the Tv channels and ran across a program on making knives, sword and such weapons. Forged by fire or something like that. Never saw the show before, funny it showed up after my request here with DD.

After being around Al a little. I see he has all his fingers, so is he a toe short now, from building knives or swords? I could see where dropping one of those blades on your foot, you could lose a toe smile

Tracy
Tracy, I've still got all my fingers and toes. In Geronimo, Chuck Conners just packed his gunshot wound with dirt. That seemed cool when I was a kid, but now that I'm older, a paper towel or two and Gorilla tape are my trauma supplies of choice.

I like the Green River blades too. Knives turn out like Old Hickory's with bling.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, forgot something REALLY important. Blue painters tape will keep you from getting cut. Also, it keeps epoxy from getting on the blade. I tape ALL of the blade prior to doing anything else.

A "good" sander not from Harbor Freight and dang good hearing protection are important.

I also like their patch and paring knives. But, it is really hard to beat Old Hickory kitchen knives.

Last Xmas, my Wife "ordered" 11 sets of steak knives and wood holders.

The Buffalo and Sheep skinners are the most popular with hunters.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/26/17 07:32 AM.

T
T
thanks guys. So when starting the process using jantz supply, what tools would be needed to complete the job. A 1 or 2" belt sander, what else? And What about the water issue mentioned like rust I am guessing? A few years back my son gave me a really nice shinny maybe chrome knife with a bone handle. I really like the knife. Can this chrome look also be performed when building your knives? Sorry about me lack of knowledge of knives. I have had a few, I even had a Case that I carried in my pocket for 22 years until it landed in the bottom of Cross Lake. I now carry a spring loaded I have had for many years, Bench I think.

Tracy
F
F
Tracy,

The chrome finish, was it polished stainless?

There are good steels in both carbon and stainless. Although today, good knife making steel is not as plentiful as it once was. Once you venture into the world of knife making you can spend as little or as much as you want.

I always liked carbon steel and my favorite was 1084. I still have a huge stash of 1/4" that I guard like it was gold.

Once you make a knife from carbon steel, you will need to keep it clean and oiled.

Depending on what type of work you want to do, tools are cheap or pricey. You can do everything with files and sand paper and a drill, but it's lots of work.

Forges are easy and cheap to make if you want to build one and beat steel. Grinders tend to get a little pricey unless you go with a 1x30 or 1/42. They are more of a finish grinder. Perfect if you want to use knife blanks from Jantz.

If you want to start with a piece of steel and grind it to shape, you'll want something along the lines of a 2x72.

Eventually you'll want a buffer. And the list goes on and on.

I'll talk to you all day about it if you want.

You might want to start simple. Decide carbon or stainless blank and then proceed from there. We'll help you along.

This thread is great. Needs pictures though if you got em.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, shiny knives and cutting knives are not the same. High carbon tarnishes (turns black) but keeps on cutting. Stainless(shiny) looks good but doesn't really cut very well.

My first knife from Jantz was a carbon Buffalo Skinner for my Grandson. He shot a deer and took it home to butcher. Mom, my daughter, decided to help him. She called the next day needing me to build her some cutting knives. She had used her over priced butcher knives, Wusthof I think, and Trevor used the knife that I built for him. She said he was slicing and she was trying to pull her knives through the meat. She has now gone mostly to carbon but still displays her more expensive ones.

I don't oil mine but always dry them after washing.

Bocomo, I don't(never figured out how) post pics.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/26/17 06:39 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Let me start by saying that I know very little about metals, blades, and knives -- but I sure have used a lot of them over nearly 7 decades. I've learned what little I know from family and friends who passed on many of their mistakes to me.

Let's start with suggestions from contemporary friends:

From FireIsHot "... a paper towel or two and Gorilla tape are my trauma supplies of choice."

Al was a certified EMT who was saving lives for decades. It must be good.

From Dave Davidson: "But, it is really hard to beat Old Hickory kitchen knives."

Except for my fish fillet knives, all of my other good knives are carbon steel. Most of my favorites are Old Hickory, ranging from my cleavers down to my paring knives. Even my circa 1952-53 Davey Crockett pocket knife is carbon steel. I took it to school with me everyday from 1st grade to about 6th grade, when I was given my present day 2-1/2 inch two-blade pocket knife, which no longer has has a name tag. It has been in one of my pockets every day since about 1960, except when I was sent to Navy boot camp and Navy SERE school in 1969/70 -- and whenever I've traveled by air in recent years. The pivot end of the main blade says "Robeson Superedge. It looks like and "Old Timer, but isn't. It sure is easy to sharpen, and it sure keeps and edge.

I also own about dozen steels. My favorites are the Old Hickory steels. I don't know much about the differences in steels, but there is something very special about the Old Hickory steels, even for my stainless fillet knives.

From FARMALLSC: "Once you make a knife from carbon steel, you will need to keep it clean and oiled."

Whether you make it or buy it, FARMALL is right on. Your carbon steel knives will all mostly turn dark grey. Mostly, they will develop darker "age spots."

Like my cast iron cooking pots and pans, I often just clean my knives with hot water and a little bit of vegetable oil or lard. If I need an abrasive, I use moistened Morton Kosher Salt.

My usual blade cleaning and coating is either coconut oil or " Leaf Lard".

One jar of coconut oil can be divided and packaged into multiple smaller containers that will probably last until you are too old to be trusted with knives.

I also have a lot of cast iron pots and pans. I use leaf lard for seasoning and cleaning. It is most easily found in small local butcher shops. It is not hydrogenated. Most lard sold in supermarkets is, and it is not the same.

If blades have gotten either rusted or blemished that you wish to clean up a little, there is nothing better than a cleaner known as "Bar Keepers Friend". It a very old cleanser that goes back to 1882. It is readily available in the household cleaner sections of most supermarkets. The primary (secret) ingredient is oxalic acid which reacts with various oxygen chemical compounds, including rust. DO READ THE CAUTIONS BEFORE USING. It is somewhat abrasive. It will seriously attack gold and silver. It should be well diluted with water before using when using on a knife blade.

I retired my leather strop and straight razors a number of years ago. My carbon steel straight razors were replaced with several good double edged "saftey razors", all of which are now 40-50 years old. A strop can put a pretty fine edge on a blade.

I have found that I can get a similar strop edge using a very old 5-inch Bendix electric bench grinder. I replaced the grinding wheels with buffer wheels. I use "jewlers' rouge" on the buffing wheels before putting the blade against the buffing wheel.

Stay safe.
Enjoy your knives.
Sharp old Ken cry

Awesome post Ken!

So now I have a question. I recently found my Dad's old carbon steel Navy knife he carried when he was a SeaBee during World War II. I remember my Dad had looked for it for years. Turns out, he dropped it into the bottom of the case for the 30 30 my uncle bought him in 1956. He never fired the 30 30 so never found the knife. I was amazed the knife had an edge you could shave with when I found it! It could use a touch of the Bar Keepers Friend but otherwise good to go. Now my question....as you can imagine the leather sheath is very dry. Does anybody have a go to product to restore 75 year old leather?

Thanks,

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill,

Neat story. I was drafted into the Navy. I still have my Navy knife, which has its own pouch in my main tool bag. Mine was made by Buck with a stainless steel blade. Nearly every sailor in work clothes (dungarees, a chambray shirt, and a white hat) had one on their belt. Thankfully, my sheath/holder is still in great condition. My initials were stamped into the leather above the latch, and also onto one side of the knife handle.

Before worrying about the knife sheath, I'd do everything I could to resurrect that 30-30 if you could.

My old Winchester 94 30-30 took this season's deer within less than 2 minutes of the season opening this past Monday. I walked out of my basement door at the opening of our rifle season last Monday morning. These old 30-30s are incredible. They really only need to be sighted-in once.

I only shoot mine a few times a year during our multiple antlerless deer seasons. Many years ago I quit loading it with more than two 150 grain bullets. It is sighted in for 50 yards. I've never had anything but an immediate and clean kill with it. This year's big doe dropped in-place before I took my eye off the side-mounted scope. No usable meat was damaged by the shot, except for the lungs, heart, and useless rib meat on the side where the bullet exited.

As for the sheath, I have had fairly good success with Kiwi-brand mink oil. I just don't know if it is available. My can is over 40 years old. I use it on boots, holsters, belts, sheaths, etc. It doesn't take much to coat an item. The 3/4-inch high, 4-inch can, is still half full after all these years.

If the sheath has started to de-laminate, or the skin has started to crack, my wife and I have a very close friend who can make a new sheath. Our friend makes custom horse saddles and many other custom leather products, particularly knife sheaths and rifle scabbards.

I have absolutely no idea of what she charges. She has never charged my wife or me for anything she has ever repaired or made for us.

Several years ago, she and and her husband hosted Bob Lusk and a number of Pond Boss friends at their farm, and at our place, for a regional Pond Boss gathering. Several Pond Boss conferences ago I did a feature presentation about what we did at their farm to eliminate algae and weeds at their ponds.

If you think you may need a new knife sheath, let me know via a PM or e-mail. I will put you in touch with my friend.

Regards,
Ken

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Before worrying about the knife sheath, I'd do everything I could to resurrect that 30-30 if you could.

Thanks Ken,

The 30 30 needs no resurrection. It is pristine and still smells of gun oil. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean it! smile It has only had 2 rounds fired thru it and that was by me in 1981. I'm surprised I never noticed the knife in the case back then!

Thanks for the tip on the mink oil. I have some around here someplace. If it doesn't work out I will be back for contact info on your friend. I would like to restore the sheath to original if possible.

Edit: I'll post a pic of the knife soon. I think you might enjoy seeing it.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/26/17 10:01 PM.

[Linked Image]
F
F
Old Hickory knives are good knives, you can reshape them into some neat skinners.

Also, don't forget Swedish steel knife blanks. Mora knives are favored by many.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Thanks Ken,

The 30 30 needs no resurrection. It is pristine and still smells of gun oil. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean it! smile It has only had 2 rounds fired thru it and that was by me in 1981. I'm surprised I never noticed the knife in the case back then!

Thanks for the tip on the mink oil. I have some around here someplace. If it doesn't work out I will be back for contact info on your friend. I would like to restore the sheath to original if possible.

Edit: I'll post a pic of the knife soon. I think you might enjoy seeing it.

I'm thinking he modified the sheath with some shoelaces! smile Probably that fancy cross hatch as well! ...

There is some rust but as near as I can tell the knife is a WWII USN Mark MK 1 Fighting Knife Camillus NY

Attached Images
USN Knife.JPG 30 30.JPG
Last edited by Bill D.; 11/26/17 11:21 PM.

[Linked Image]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I recently wondered about Lauri blades. He is a true craftsman.

Bill, until recently I had one of those knives. I gave it to another grandson. I still have the knife that my Dad brought back from WWII. It's in a small pack that I have been taking deer hunting with me since WAY Back when.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails