Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Tinylake, Falcons_King), 461 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
C
C
I've watched a lot of videos about this and all seem to have the net all draped over them or around them and a complicated folding system. This one was interesting. It starts at the 7 min mark.

So the 12' cast net means 12' radius or 24' net.

or saw this. This technique seems pretty easy to master:

Last edited by canyoncreek; 11/16/17 11:40 AM.
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Those are big nets. They are way beyond my needs or skill level. I will get a picture of my small one later today.

I am sure as the size increases, the skill level to deploy them increases significantly.

I can't remember for sure but I thought a 6' net threw a 12' circle. I knew at one time but memory is suspect. I know there are guys on here that know a lot about them so maybe they will chime in.

I personally for my needs would not want to go more than a 4' (8' circle). I think they would get a lot harder to throw above that.

Edit: I throw my small net with the same technique as the second video but since it is smaller it is much simpler. First I do not have to fold the net over in my hand as he does. I just grasp it below the ring like he does but do not fold any of the net back over in my hand. Second I only have to spread the net out like he does right before he throws. I do not have to gather up the weights five or six times. Otherwise the throw is about the same but my rope is also much shorter.

One thing he is having to cope with is waves. So he is the equivalent of throwing on his knees if he was on dry land. I suspect this is part of the multiple gathering up the weights. Getting the throw started up higher so the waves do not catch it. My net is small enough that if I hold it out from my chest the weights are off the ground. Then I just grab the skirt like he does and place one weight in my right hand like he does. Then I skip all the other gathering up of weights but reach down and grab at arms length the leading edge of the skirt. Then throw pretty much as he did, swinging the weights in an arc and letting the weights do the work. Clear as mud?

Last edited by snrub; 11/16/17 01:34 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My net is 4' with overall 8 feet diameter and 3/8" net mesh.

Attached Images
20171116_143533.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 11/16/17 07:55 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What I think is an interesting observation concerning using the cast net.

Went out after lunch and decided to try for some RES fingerlings. Bright sunny day. In three casts only got 3 fish so gave up. Thought hmmmm. Maybe I am getting the fingerlings thinned out. But I had not really used the net on a bright sunny mid day. It has either been late afternoon before dark or on a cloudy cold day if done mid day.

So I went out at early dark tonight. Had to leave the 4 wheeler running with lights on to see what I was getting but there was just enough light left in the sky I could see where I was throwing. Got 23 RES fingerlings in three casts and a few GS. About the same catch rate as I have been getting all along.

So just an observation for anyone thinking about trying a cast net. Just like fishing with a hook and line. Time of day, temperature and probably many other factors determine where the fish will be. Mid day on a sunny day they were not where I had been catching them. But as the day was ending they were back in the shallow water concentrated where I could catch them.

Last edited by snrub; 11/16/17 08:02 PM.

John

T
T
I just acquired a cast net recently. Marking this thread for future reference.

Originally Posted By: TGW1
...I recently talked to someone here that can get me some smb for a pond but it will be next spring. Talking to my dirt contractor, we may get started next week on another pond. And if I could come up with some of the sized smb u mentioned snrub, I would put them in my daughters pond now, along with some Hsb of course. I stock cnbg there last spring.

Tracy, let us know if you do the SMB thing this next spring. I'm rolling a winter yellow perch/SMB brood pond combo around in my head.

AL

T
T
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: TGW1
...I recently talked to someone here that can get me some smb for a pond but it will be next spring. Talking to my dirt contractor, we may get started next week on another pond. And if I could come up with some of the sized smb u mentioned snrub, I would put them in my daughters pond now, along with some Hsb of course. I stock cnbg there last spring.

Tracy, let us know if you do the SMB thing this next spring. I'm rolling a winter yellow perch/SMB brood pond combo around in my head.

Will do Allen, One might think TJ might make a drive down here this spring just so he could spread his wings, so to speak. Truth is, if his wife is like mine, she would be most likely happy to get him out of her hair for a week while he brought down some of those smb he catches through the ice. Now tell me about those yp u speak of? I was thinking the same but don't those come out of Florida for us southern guys? And how cool would it be to have some nice Yp, smb down here in Texas? Those Yankee's would have nothing on us then but ice fishing smile

Last edited by TGW1; 11/19/17 09:20 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Tracy, I actually talked to TJ several years ago about getting some of his SMB. If we ever get another drought here, I'll put in a silt/hatchery pond, and have my small pond available for Pinky and the Brain stuff. I've done the seasonal forage fish thing several times now, and I'm really liking it. IF, the pond is void of other fish, the short term results can be exceptional. I'd probably have to add aeration of some type for the SMB, but that's the long term plan anyway.

Yellow perch are as pretty a fish as I've ever seen, and their shape is very LMB friendly, so that's a win/win for me. If I could get them to 6"-8" by spring, then I would consider that a success.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If you guys are serious about SMB then source them from as far south as you can , same for YP.

Originally Posted By: ewest
If you guys are serious about SMB then source them from as far south as you can , same for YP.

Interesting how it seems "it depends" always comes into play. In this case it's where you live. Here in N. Illinois I would do the opposite and try to source SMB and YP grown as far North as possible. I do the same thing if buying trees, plants, etc.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
Al, if we ever get another drought here? frown You must be in the right place because I have been in a drought here for the past two yrs. This year and last year has been the driest fall's I have seen in a long time. That is the only reason I can build another pond right now, because of the lack of rain at my place. Oh well, it will rain again someday. Ewest, I would love to have a smb, hsb, pond designed to grow some nice ones. Just how big? I don't know but there are some large ones in Texhoma and that is not that far away. But would not be apples to apples I am sure. If I could get some of those southern yp, that would be a plus. Like Al said, they are a pretty fish. I'm looking at a half acre pond being dug soon, I hope. My neighbor is a dirt contractor who stay's busy and will work me in when the timing is right. Al, I can get air and have planed on doing so but I think I will run only nights during hot summer time after seeing what my water temps have been in the big pond. Do you know of a southern Yp supplier?

Tracy
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
USGS shows some YP distribution in east Texas.

Yellow Perch distribution

Last edited by snrub; 11/20/17 10:18 AM.

John

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Interesting how it seems "it depends" always comes into play. In this case it's where you live. Here in N. Illinois I would do the opposite and try to source SMB and YP grown as far North as possible. I do the same thing if buying trees, plants, etc.

Bill you would be doing the same thing. Sourcing your fish from as close to you as possible. Those guys are in TX and would likely get best results from fish showing adaptation to their climate. You getting fish from N Ill. for your Ill lake is the same concept. All other things being equal buy fish from a similar adaptation.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Texans will have a very hard time finding a southern fish farm that grows and sells yellow perch and smallmouth.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Bill you would be doing the same thing. Sourcing your fish from as close to you as possible. Those guys are in TX and would likely get best results from fish showing adaptation to their climate. You getting fish from N Ill. for your Ill lake is the same concept. All other things being equal buy fish from a similar adaptation.

Ewest,

I understand you rationale and it makes sense. I was just thinking, right or wrong, that when living in a cold climate, you want fish, plants, etc. that have been raised with as much cold tolerance as possible or grown further north. When living in a hot climate like Texas, you want to source as far south as possible to have maximum heat tolerance.

Maybe it depends on species? Maybe I would want RES from north of me but WE from my area or maybe even south of me?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/23/17 08:21 AM.

[Linked Image]
T
T
Bill Cody and Ewest, I think you are both right. There was or is a guy that has posted in the past of smb in his East Texas pond. I have not seen an update on where things stand now with his pond. Maybe someone here knows him and could persuade him to come back a tell his story. Success or failure, it would be good information to have. As far as the Yellow Perch, I have seen nothing on these nice fish in E Texas, so maybe the Florida species might be adaptable to our waters? It can get really hot in Florida.

Tracy
FWIW...maybe some more info....I seem to remember reading an old post about a member in Arizona, AaronM from Phoenix, with Mean Mouth Bass (MMB) in his pond. I assume that means he has a SMB population.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/23/17 08:10 AM.

[Linked Image]
Tracy, I think it was Chris that had SMB. I know they're in public lakes and streams as far south as San Antonio, but that Canyon Lake water is very clear, and very cold.

YP would probably be seasonal at best around here. Snrub posted a TX stocking chart, and IIRC it's been 20 years since TPWD stocked them anywhere. That leads me to believe successful recruitment was limited, to nonexistent.

The logistics of sourcing and transport of either fish would probably be the most difficult part of all this. Once they're stocked, they'll either make it or not.

AL

T
T
Al, I think you are correct even though I would like to try the smallies out. I may never get there but ! And I like what you have done with your forage pond, like RBT, Tp and Todd's Texas Legacy bass etc. I am still waiting on my next pond. A new ripple has come into play so not sure if it will come any time soon. My dirt contracting neighbor is down sizing and has offered some adjacent land for sale. My new pond money may go there, we will see.

Tracy
New dirt's a tough option to pass on.

AL

J
J
I can see why people downsize. Acreages take a lot of time to properly maintain.

T
T
John, you took the words right out of my neighbors mouth. He is down sizing and will be selling some of his land in 10 acre sections and his present home. He plans on rebuilding a new home on a smaller portion of the land. On a hill next to his 2 acre pond smile. I will be watching to see how long it takes to sell his or where my land prices are after he sells. Smaller sections sell for higher prices. I wished he was selling 20 acre lots instead of 10 acre lots.

Al, so true, they are not making more dirt around me.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/25/17 08:20 AM.

Tracy
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Matzilla
Very awesome! How many and what size for the SMB initial stocking?

Exciting day today!

Hartley Fish Farm of Kingman Kansas delivered my SMB today for this pond. 50 6"-9" and 40 4"-6" SMB were put in this RES pond.

Jerry Hartley told me the different size fish (I got all the larger size he had available) I was getting were all the same age. The larger fish were just in a different environment with a lot more minnows available for them to eat. Pictures below, but I did not get many pictures. I figured there would be several minutes for fish acclimation but they were just dumped right into the pond. He said this time of year when it is cold it was not needed. The fish swam away. So things went quicker than I anticipated.

After we placed them I came back in about an hour to feed the FHM's (likely the last day of the year feeding - going to get really cold tonight). I commonly see FHM swirls as I drive around the pond in my UTV and it casts a shadow over the water. You can see the minnows being spooked by the shadow. I think the FHM realized there is "a new sheriff in town". While I still noticed the usual scattered swirls from the UTV shadow, there were two complete schools jammed together swimming at the surface making a full school wake. One along side me going the same direction I was at the shallow west side of the pond and another headed right toward the first school from the opposite direction. Never saw this before in this pond. I surmise the newly introduced SMB were cruising their new home and the minnows were taking notice. Kind of cool.

Bob Lusk had suggested 50 SMB for control of my RES recruitment. My plan is to let these get enough size so my LMB in my main 3 acre pond can't eat them, then catch about 40 and transfer them to my main pond. Hopefully I can do that about next fall. I think they should have enough FHM and new RES fingerlings next spring to support the 90 till I get 40 removed.

Attached Images
20171206_131609.jpg 20171206_132209.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 03/19/18 09:56 PM.

John

F
F
Forgive my curiosity, but why would someone want an only-RES pond. I just don't have any experience raising or catching them, and would like to know what makes them special for you.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That is a good question that I have asked myself. I have no good answer.

For some unknown reason I just like raising RES. Go figure.

Last edited by snrub; 12/07/17 06:43 PM.

John

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?