Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
dhadam, Brian N., MidMoAdam, Tayten b, squareacrefarm
15053 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15053 Members
36 Forums
34849 Topics
476629 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24014
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18987
Dave Davidson1 13130
Theo Gallus 12335
Who's Online
11 registered (hobbyman, Bill D., Archer82, dhadam, MidMoAdam, Mal, 4CornersPuddle, John Fitzgerald, WDD, Zep, Flame), 167 Guests and 388 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#482582 - 11/12/17 07:31 PM Fish slowing down [Re: snrub]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Fish bite is really slowing down after several days of cool weather. Cleaned another 60 BG and one CC that I had accumulated in the holding pen over the last several days ( told wife there was about 20- I underestimated a little) and had just a few minutes of light left so tried fishing. Bite was really slow but did get one nice BG.

At least I did not get skunked. This one was saved from the fillet knife and went back into the pond to make babies and be caught another day.

Attachments
20171112_172616.jpg (100 downloads)
Description: Nice BG returned to pond for breeding stock

Edited by snrub (11/12/17 07:32 PM)

#482643 - 11/13/17 08:37 PM What's for dinner........ [Re: snrub]
snrub Offline

Some of the results from Sunday's filleting session.

Yumm!

Attachments
20171113_185554.jpg (326 downloads)
Description: CC fingers for supper

#482863 - 11/18/17 07:36 PM Re: What's for dinner........ [Re: snrub]
Bill D. Online   content

Loc: Boone County Illinois
Looks awesome! I could dig into that!

You'll never know what ya can catch unless you wet a line!

#482869 - 11/18/17 09:25 PM Re: What's for dinner........ [Re: snrub]
John Fitzgerald Online   content

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
That looks very good! Have you ever tried cutting the CC into steaks? That's the way we usually do it. Cut the whole skinned CC from the top down into horseshoe shaped pieces about 3/4 to one inch thick, roll in lightly salted yellow cornmeal and deep fry at 350 for about 8 minutes. The bones stay in, but it's delicious that way, and wastes very little of the fish.

#482874 - 11/19/17 01:15 AM Re: What's for dinner........ [Re: Bill D.]
snrub Offline

It was awesome! The pickled beets are home grown from my MIL. We send her all the filleted fish she and FIL can eat. We get beets.

Tartar sauce is Miracle Whip, sweet pickle relish and just a touch of yellow mustard.

My wife is a strictly boneless gal and beings she is the cook I do not argue with her. I like the fish coating as much as the fish so I ask her to cut it into fingers or nuggets so there is more coating.

Our current favorite mix is half commercial cajun fish coating mix (corn meal based) and half Panko bread crumbs. The Panko bread crumbs give the coating a nice crunchiness for good mouth feel. The half rate cajun spice gives it just a nice mild kick.

We used to deep fry but since Carolynn got the air fryer that is how we eat most of the fish. Taste like fried but uses very little oil and a lot less spatter and mess.

This particular 3# CC had darker meat with more yellowish tint than what we are used to seeing when we filleted it. I thought at the time the taste might be off. But it tasted great. Cooked out nice white and flaky.

Edited by snrub (11/19/17 01:24 AM)

#482885 - 11/19/17 07:00 PM Re: What's for dinner........ [Re: snrub]
Bill D. Online   content

Originally Posted By: snrub
We used to deep fry but since Carolynn got the air fryer that is how we eat most of the fish. Taste like fried but uses very little oil and a lot less spatter and mess.

I've been thinking about getting my bride one of those but they all seem pretty small. What brand and size do you have? Sounds like your bride likes it.

Edited by Bill D. (11/19/17 07:01 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#482888 - 11/19/17 09:27 PM Re: What's for dinner........ [Re: Bill D.]
snrub Offline

Small ain't bad if there are only two people to cook for. Carolynn says the air fry cooker cooks batches pretty fast.

Phillips HD9240 and the basket measures 8.5"x8.5". She likes it.
Air fryer I see they make some other smaller models also.

Christmas is getting pretty close you know.

Edited by snrub (11/20/17 05:45 AM)

#482892 - 11/20/17 05:29 AM air fry cooker [Re: snrub]
snrub Offline

After thinking about my reply there are a couple of other things I thought of about the air fry cooker.

We like fried fish. No two ways about it. In fact that picture above my wife had ask me if it was ok to bake the fish. I said that would be fine. But she, the wonderful partner she is, knows I like it better fried abandoned the oven for the air fryer. So the picture of the fish is how it came out of the air fryer. Don't get me wrong, on the occasions she does bake the fish, it turns out really good. But I still like fried better.

The problem she always had with deep frying or pan frying is the clean up afterwords or the storing and filtering of oil for reuse on the deep fry. It always made a mess, and cooking just for two people it seemed like a lot of cleanup work for such a small amount to cook. Oil spatter always ended up on stuff around the stove with pan frying and with a deep fryer the oil to either take care of to reuse or waste a lot of oil for a small amount of fish fried. I can't tell the difference in taste and in fact there is no danger of ending up with oil saturated fish coating like can happen if deep frying and the oil temperature is not "right".

The air fry cooker gets away from most all of these problems. It only uses a couple tablespoons of oil to begin with, so supposedly a little healthier and the clean up is minimal compared to spatter all over the stove top and area.

I think she has had the air fryer something over a year now and likes is pretty well compared to other oil frying methods. If we have lots of fish to fry like for a "get together" we will get out the propane fired deep fryer. But for just the two of us the air fryer is the "go to" tool.

Edited by snrub (11/20/17 05:59 AM)

#482925 - 11/20/17 04:05 PM Re: air fry cooker [Re: snrub]
smokey Offline

Loc: Douglass, TX
I have an old recipe that I learned from my great aunt (May she rest in peace). Like Snrub I like cornmeal with a little kick to it, but the secret I found out is to add a little yellow mustard to the fish before you put the cornmeal on it. After it has fried you can't taste the mustard but it come out golden color and the cornmeal will stick to the fish better.

#482926 - 11/20/17 05:21 PM Re: air fry cooker [Re: snrub]
Bill D. Online   content

My bride cuts our CC fillets into fingers and sprinkles Old Bay seasoning on them before breading and frying. Really adds a nice little zip and smooths any "rough spots" in the taste.

I agree with you assessment John. I've been looking into the air fryers and they sound like a nice addition to the kitchen for small families like "empty nesters" and couples just starting out. For our family with 2 teenage boys, I think they just don't have the capacity. We have ovens in both kitchens with convection capabilities which might be more appropriate for larger families and provide similar results.

Edited by Bill D. (11/20/17 07:47 PM)

#482936 - 11/20/17 09:29 PM Re: air fry cooker [Re: smokey]
snrub Offline

Originally Posted By: smokey
I have an old recipe that I learned from my great aunt (May she rest in peace). Like Snrub I like cornmeal with a little kick to it, but the secret I found out is to add a little yellow mustard to the fish before you put the cornmeal on it. After it has fried you can't taste the mustard but it come out golden color and the cornmeal will stick to the fish better.

Interesting. I bet this is something we will try. Thanks!

#482937 - 11/20/17 10:09 PM Re: air fry cooker [Re: snrub]
snrub Offline

Some random fish cleaning pictures at our fish cleaning station. This is the way we fillet BG. This particular batch of 67 BG I did myself as the wife was away.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it that retain more meat. But we have so many BG my other alternative to thinning them would be to throw them on the bank for the raccoons. So pulling out the best and leaving the rest for the raccoons seems a better alternative.

I'm no expert at this but am getting better. Before building our ponds I probably had cleaned no more than a couple dozen fish in my life previously.

Descriptions with pictures. Is the rat bait bucket clean? No but I have been feeding fish food to the fish out of it for two years so hopefully the poison is gone. The zip lock bag in it is clean though.

The glove is a necessary tool for me. I don't have Parkinsons but do have a genetic propensity to shake at times. Without the glove I would be bleeding more than the fish.

Carolynn rinses the meat again when it gets in the house, pulls out any missed pin bones, puts it back in the bag with fresh water and some milk, lets it soak overnight in the refrigerator, then spreads the fillets out on cookie sheets lined with butcher paper and freezes them. Then she takes the frozen fillets and either vacuum seals them or puts them in a zip lock bag and back in the freezer. This makes individual fillets that she can easily take out as few or as many as we need for any size meal. A little extra work but makes using the fillets for meal preparation very easy. Dredges and coats the frozen fillets and runs them through the air fryer. Delicious.

Edit: the yellow in the middle of the bag is one of the CC fillets from the small (maybe 3/4#) CC.

Attachments
20171119_141256.jpg (39 downloads)
Description: 67 BG and one small CC in half a chest full of ice, some water along with salt to euthanize the fish, make cleaning easier and reduce blood in the meat for better quality.

20171119_144053.jpg (44 downloads)
Description: Start of fillet cutting around ribs leaving fish intact

20171119_144127.jpg (41 downloads)
Description: removing fillet from skin

20171119_141724.jpg (33 downloads)
Description: Resulting whole fish left intact less fillets

20171119_141813.jpg (39 downloads)
Description: Resulting fillet

20171119_142022.jpg (38 downloads)
Description: work station attached to dock

20171119_142030.jpg (47 downloads)
Description: When wife and I both clean, she uses the table and I use the wood surface where the rat bait bucket sits.

20171119_142040.jpg (43 downloads)
20171119_172049.jpg (41 downloads)
Description: This is a two gallon zip lock bag. About a gallon of clean, boneless meat when finished. Wife picks out any pin bones before freezing.

Edited by snrub (11/20/17 10:19 PM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays
bobguillory, cchoate, Gary R. Hoenicke, John H., Loren, Loren Willis
Recent Posts
Believe I finally found leak source
by Archer82
0 seconds ago
Draining Old Farm Pond
by MidMoAdam
27 minutes 4 seconds ago
1/2 acre ohio pond help