Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,067
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,410
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (esshup, bstone261, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson), 691 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sorry WB if I am stepping over you post here but Bill could you please explain to me and or WB on others why deep water circulation is his goal?

I thought the goal of winter air was to just keep the shallows open between 4 and to 6 feet for sun penetration and taking care not to super cool your water but still have some circulation? Just asking why is his goal different? Is it because of the trout I guess?

Thanks,
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I will let Bill clarify but I took his response to mean that because WB's pond is a trout pond, and since they do well in cooler water, that having that cold water during the winter wouldn't make a difference to them, vs. making a difference to say LMB and BG/RES.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I explained in my first post why winter deep water aeration was good for WBuffet. Go back and reread it. 'Supercooled" water does not harm trout; at least nearly as much as it stresses warm water fish such as LMB, BG and especially RES.

I like the diffuser setup in the 2nd picture better than the 1st setup. For the trout application we want good mixing and circulation in the main basin and the cold water currents will spread far toward the edges. Plus with diffusers in the deeper water, the boils at the surface will be stronger due to more depth for the rising column of bubbles. Stronger boils will move water further toward the edges. I think the 8 ac could be completely mixed all winter with daily solar operation with the current setup. Large volumes of water rising from the bottom has to be replaced. Replacement water comes from the edges, travels down the basin toward the diffusers. Extensive mixing occurs. Similar extensive basin water mixing occurs in winter-spring water shorline ice melts or the areas under the ice become warmed by the sun. Water temperature-DO tests mid-winter would be very educational in this application of winter aeration.

Daily aeration will keep fairly large holes (40-60ft) open in the ice. The open water and resulting phytoplankton photosynthesis and daily bubbling action will diffuse air into the water and oxygenate a lot of water and the currents will push this far from the diffusers probably to areas at least 400ft or more in dia from the boils. I have seen a windmill with a 20 ft open ice hole push oxygenated water 200ft under ice-snow cover.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/22/17 10:30 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
WarrenB - My current version of Google earth allows me to measure distance at a location - map. My G-map had a tool bar at the top with a list of icons. One of them right of center had a ruler. Click on it and choose options in the window. Measurements were pretty accurate in my distance tests. If I knew the address or location of your pond I could make the length, width, & area measurements.

http://mashable.com/2014/07/09/google-maps-measure-distances/#c55mTqPsluqw

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/21/17 08:38 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah sorry totally missed that post... my bad.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
W
OP Offline
W
Bill - I feel like you just dropped some huge information bombs for the handful of Trout guys that are on Pond Boss. If not for this thread, I would have just went with 4-5 diffusers in 4' or so of water like I have read so many times without ever making the connection that I was doing a "bass aeration setup" for Trout.

I think I am going to edit the title to replace "8 acres" with "trout" so any trout folks can find this critical information easier.

I use Google Earth Pro and often use the measuring function you are talking about. The current image is an old one and does not show the new waterlines from the increased depth. I am just measuring the distance on Google Earth by estimating where the new waterline is. I come up with 450' from the dock (has been replaced by a dirt peninsula) to the South shore.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/22/17 07:21 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
W
OP Offline
W
Ok folks, got a little more data in and just wanted to post here as well.

As of 11/05/2017 water temp was 37.9 from surface to 20' deep. DO has increased to 8.7 PPM at surface and 8.3 PPM at 20' deep.

One question that may sound silly, but I am semi concerned....

We haven't even gotten into the serious cold yet up there. Coldest temp so far is somewhere in the 20s and we are at 37.9 degrees. What will the water temp do when we regularly start seeing 0 degree days? What are the chances of me freezing the lake solid?

C
C
Just don't ever turn the aerators off!!!! You will make that water so cool that the least interruption in bubble action will produce in instant pond wide total freeze like going into a blast chiller!!

I'm kidding of course but have a vivid visual on watching that whole 8 acre pond go to one solid ice mass in an instant due to temporary solar power failure smile

It is a good question. Bill said that trout don't mind 'supercooling' but if the whole pond is super cooled and there is no slightly warmer water ANYWHERE, what is to keep it from suddenly icing up?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 11/07/17 09:56 PM.
W
OP Offline
W
Canyon - haha! All jokes aside, I am slightly concerned.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? What's the coldest water temp you think it will reach up there?

d

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/25/17 09:45 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
W
OP Offline
W
Bill D I wasn't thinking of the problem in terms of altitude other than how the altitude affects the temps the lake will see. I am wondering what kind of water temps are possible when the air temps are 0 or below assuming we are still fully mixing the lake.

Just got an update today. The lake is already frozen over and the diffusers are keeping lots of open water.

d

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/25/17 09:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It will be interesting to see the water temp at the bottom of the pond in a month......... wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
Unfortunately, I am not sure I will be able to get a temp reading in a month, Scott.

I THOUGHT I would get a temp/DO reading last year when we were out there for Christmas.... What a joke that turned out to be. Coming from Atlanta, 4'-5' of snow created problems I wasn't prepared for. Just walking, even with snowshoes, is a hell of a workout in that kind of snow at 10,000'. I strapped on the snow shoes and walked down to the lake with a 6' piece of rebar to see what kind of ice I could find. I walked out onto the peninsula and started poking around looking for ice. All I could find seemed like slush. I NEVER did hit anything solid like ice so I was scared to walk out off the peninsula. So then I was going to drag the boat out there, get in the boat to get out a little farther and poke around. I turned around and started trying to remember where the heck the boat was and realized I was going to have to dig a bunch of 4' exploration holes in the snow to find it! Not to mention how much the snow shoes were complicating all this. Then I realized, first, I was going to have to go back up to the cabin to get a shovel. That was it, said screw this and gave up on getting the data!

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/13/17 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:37 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB