Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,008
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Rick O, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Boondoggle), 1,034 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I have a pond that needs major work. Been researching things for over a year and finally started the process. Thanks to all of you for your posts and offering advice. To say that this site, the magazine and books are a good resource would be a HUGE understatement.

For those that are interested: the pond was made about 50 years ago. It's spring fed and about 2 surface acres. The deepest part was less than 6 feet due to silt/muck accumulation and leaks. The water level was never within 3 feet of the top of the drain pipe (which was plugged and broken). There was muskrat and beaver damage and large trees all over the dam structure. I had a major watermeal problem as well as a major fish kill this past summer. (Turns out the prior owner had stocked crappie and catfish along with the bass and bluegill).

After searching for a contractor (there aren't many near me) and getting the NRCS and PA Fish & Boat permits I finally started the project by draining the pond and clearing all of the trees from the dam. The beavers and muskrats were trapped in the winter. The plan now is to let it dry out until early fall and then the contractor will clean out the silt/muck and reseal the dam. I hope to have a maximum depth of 12-14 feet and most areas will be 4 feet deep.

I will be restocking with fatheads, bluegill and LMB. I am planning fish structure using PVC 'trees', rock piles (broken concrete blocks from a nearby manufacturer), ditches and humps. I am leaning towards using Agri-Drain's in-line water level control structure. To help discourage beavers and muskrats I will be lining the dam with 5 foot galvanized chain link fence. I will have it buried about 1 foot below the dirt.

By using the vast amount of knowledge here I am hoping to avoid mistakes. Thanks to all here for you help.

Here are a few before and after pictures:

Before. Dam is off to the left.

After draining.

Before draining, standing on dam, near drain pipe:

After draining, standing on dam, near drain pipe.

Looking into pond through cut dam:

I hope to post more pictures as the project progresses.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
To help discourage beavers and muskrats I will be lining the dam with 5 foot galvanized chain link fence. I will have it buried about 1 foot below the dirt.
...v interesting twist; haven't heard that one yet. It just shows my rookie status at the pond game. Is this a common practice in varmint-prone areas?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Brettski,

I've heard of others trying that. It sounds like a good idea, but those critters are really creative.

RobA,

Sounds like you have a great plan and are executing it well. I welcome you to read about a similar experience I had and some mistakes I made along the way at this link:

http://www.meadowlarkponds.com/walden.htm

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
RobA,

1. What are you doing with all of the dirt?

2. Are you using the trees from the dam for cover?

Good luck...oh and double your budget.

;\)

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Alligator:
1. What are you doing with all of the dirt?
I have 22 acres. Most of the spoils will be piled up about 75-100 yards away from the pond in an area that the contractor cleared. I'm expected a lot of what is removed will be muck. Some of the clay will be used to build up the dam breast. Parts of it are too thin. I thought about an island but am not sure it would look right.

2. Are you using the trees from the dam for cover?
I thought about using some of the trees for cover but want to use things that are more permanent and didn't add organic matter. I also wanted something that lures won't get hung up on.

Good luck...oh and double your budget.
After reading all of the posts here I realize the problems of trying to budget for something like this. The contractor gave me a rough estimate ($35k) for the job rather than a firm number. I spoke to several of his local references and I heard nothing but positive things (I guess he wouldn't supply an unsatisfied customer as a reference). Anyway, I feel comfortable that his estimate will wind up being relatively close. So far the work he has done (3+ days) cost me $6+k. He gave me a detailed bill of the hours he used each of his machines. A lot of the work so far was tree removal on the dam as well as cutting a construction entrance from the road and clearing an area for the spoils.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RobA,
I am in the midst of a pond project, also. I, too, am paying the man to do the job correctly. My first post on this forum last fall was directly related to polling the experts to compare construction costs.
My dirt-guy is charging $100/hr per pc of equip. He is using a late model D-6 hi track and Cat backhoe and older model Cat E-mover (he says that he sends all pc to the Cat approved dealer ea Spring for a full factory recommended maint overhaul...he takes care of his stuff and it shows). I get the same detailed hourly rundown.
May I ask what your hourly charges are? Equipment type?

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
RobA,

(with tongue firmly in cheek) My contractor also performed the work as bid. I just kept coming up with more and more "projects" for him to bid on. \:D

It never ends, it just keeps getting better; a road here, add a pier, build a fence, clearing there...etc.

Looks like a nice project you have there - keep the pics coming.

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Brettski,
The contractor is using a Cat 953 track loader ($77.50/hour), a Cat 120 excavator ($90/hour), a Cat D5H dozer ($77.50/hour) and a Cat 287 skid steer ($65/hour). When I starting looking for contractors I fully expected to pay an average of $100/hour for the machines. As I talked to them I didn't ask how much per machine. I was looking to see how they would approach the project and their thoughts on how much it would wind up costing. I'm wondering if his price/hour will go up when he comes back in the fall since fuel prices keep going up. It was fun watching him and his son use the machines. They were good.

Alligator,
I know what you mean. I'm planning a dock and more tree clearing and a driveway and a tractor barn and .........

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RobA
Yep, that sounds like real fair pricing to me. It's tuff to swallow the big bill, but a pleasing final product eases the pain. I'm gettin' ready to start pumpin' up the home EQ line pretty darn soon.
My guy has already intimated that he is already quoting jobs $5/hr higher because of fuel costs. We spent some focus time on that subject. He readily agrees that it is a big job for him and I pay my bills "right now". Until further notice of higher gas gouging, he is going to rescind the hike for me.
-
(edit) btw, I flew into Pitts. for the first time on biz last fall. I worked my way up to Erie and back. It was during the Fall colors...absolutely, positively gorgeous country!!! Not so pretty up north when it flattened out, but I was really charmed by the mountains at Pittsburgh and near north.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM