Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#471082 05/02/17 07:45 PM
R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
hello i have recently purchased a home with a 1/2 acre pond. pond is 14 ft deep at most average roughly id say 9 approx. gets deep quickly off the banks. im looking to help promote and clean up the pond by adding diffused aeration.

i currently have a kasco 3/4 hp vfx aeration fountain for looks sound and a little aeration. i plan on keeping this as well.

im looking at the vertex two diffuser system but dont need a cabinet. the other is the kasco, and this one http://www.livingwateraeration.com/2-acre-pond-aeration-system.html

whats the better system and is two heads enough due to the shape?

R
R
Small and deep for its size. Does the kasco you have pull from the bottom or the top? Issue is typically going to be that the water on the top will, for the most part, have enough oxygen. Driving the circulation and breaking the stratification will be your challenge, so with that in mind, I would put 1 where it's the deepest and 3-5 around at the average depth areas. You could get away with just 3 total, IMHO.

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
you say breaking the stratification will be a challenge? not sure why with three heads and a fountain. the vfx pulls water from about 2 ft down.

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
cant load pics of i would upload a pic to show pond layout

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
went with the easy pro setup. got the lines trenched from barn and got them in the water this am. nice system and working well. i fot the paw56 kit two two head diffusers, two hundred feet of weighted tubing, 100 ft of non weighted, compressor, manifold, etx shipped for 1100. real nice quality and set up

B
B
Keep us updated on the system. I have been looking myself and trying to decide if I want to buy a package. or a DIY version.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
brian for 1100 you cant piece together a solid system. i like that fact its plig and play. any issues are covered for 2 to 5 yrs. looks great, very quiet pump for 1/2 hp

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
ok i have been running the two diffusers 24/7 for 10 days now and notice the water has been cloudy. Normal? Does it take a while for water to all mix and settle. i did trrat pond with cutrine plus, shorekleer, and aquathol k about a week before.

T
T
I started my 6 Kasco diffuser's a year ago last July. And they would stir up the fine clay's on the pond bottom and make the water cloudy around each diffuser and of course it clouded the pond up. I tried different things like setting them on cender blocks, setting them in kiddy swimming pools placed on bottom. Nothing worked, the cloudy water persisted, but I stayed with it until December and was recommended to turn them off for the winter to reduce the chance of super cooling. I turned them back on in Late February and the diffusers did not kick up any cloudy water around them. They run 24/7 and the water color is a deep olive green color with 17" visibility. That is my story, hope it helps.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
well im not sure sounds like maybe it takes a long time for all to settle idk

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
had a good storm blow thru yesterday and noticed my diffusers have move a few ft. not sure if its coincidence or a fish ran into the base and moved it. anyone else have tgis happen to them

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Lots of things can cause cloudy when an aerator is operating. Do you have picture of the diffuser? If the diffuser has moved or is moving then it does not have enough weight in the base to keep it tight to the bottom when it is receiving full air flow.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
bill i cant figure out how to upload pics. keeps saying its too large. Sorry bill not a pc guru. Heres what i have in my pond. I did pour sand into the bases but did not fill them by any means. pond is free of algae amd weed just water clarity isnt as clear as it was. i wonder if its possible a diffuser base rolled over or when sinking fell on its side http://www.livingwateraeration.com/2-acre-pond-aeration-system.html

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Curious whens a good time to turn off aerators for ohio climates. I just pulled my fountain as it could snow anyday now.

Lunker
Lunker
I shut mine down here in Nebraska a few weeks ago when water temps got to the mid 50s. If you are going to aerate over the winter you will want to move your diffuser shallow to avoid super cooling water your water temps.

I shut my summer aeration down last week and switched to winter config. here in N. Illinois. Right or wrong, I watch the FA and when it dies back I wait two weeks then shut down the summer aeration. I figure it gives me a couple of weeks to help the decomp of the FA. I only run my winter diffuser when we have heavy snow cover or long periods of thick opaque ice.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I do not have good confidence in the style of the bases of those 'living water' aerators. Tip over is possible. Numerous companies use that style. I think they can be effective depending on how they are installed, but they are not idiot proof nor mistake proof. Any aerator on its side will distribute and re-suspend bottom detritus. An old pond with lots of bottom organic muck could swallow that style of diffuser when placed into 2 to 3 ft of muck.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/04/17 09:07 PM.

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks bill d and bill c for the responses. Bill cody its funny u said that becsise i noticed by water quality aka visibility actually went down quite a bit and never really got much better. I did see a big differences in algae and weed growth. I called company and asked if its possible if they could fall over on its side and they said no. Im willing to bet you are correct. It is an older pond and never got attention much until i bougjt place almost 2 yrs ago. What do you recommend i do. Should i leave one in at around 4 to 5 feet of water for winter. If so when should i run it.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You in NE Ohio often get more snow due to lake effect. For winter operation you can run the system 2-4 hrs/day to create an open water area 20-40ft dia. Make sure your compressor has a pressure relief valve in case the diffuser check valve leaks water back into the airline which will allow an ice plug to freeze at the shoreline.

Your diffuser may not have tipped on its side but it could be submerged in muck-sludge up to the diffuser heads which will pump silt into the water column.

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Awesome thanks bill! Yes im about 45 min south cle off 71. Will run it for 2 hrs a day when i see it freezing over and staying freezing temps.

I see what your saying about the muck. Its definitely there. Any ideas to maybe prop it up a bit yet allow me to make sure heads stay upright while submerging. One last question how much does the aerators really reduce muck? Was rhinking of draining and having it kickrd out but thats a lot of work and time and money. Plus i have a nice population of fish. Thanks for all the help and if your ever down near medina stop n fo a cold beer or pop.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
There are too many unknowns to provide definite advice. First thing I would do is lift the diffuser and let it settle vertically to have confidence it is sitting upright. Another option would be to mount the diffuser or whole diffuser assembly on a wider base such as a snow saucer.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/01/17 09:35 PM.

R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks bill i lowered them slowly. Im convinced that either that were in sludge or tipped over. I will try the saucer idea this spring and go from there. Thank you for the help

S
S
I made some mistakes with my diffuser bases and this is the solution I came up with described in this post. It would be similar to the suggestion of using a saucer.

snrubs modification of diffuser base

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
ryan596 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Snrub awesome will be making these up this winter. What a great idea. If this doesnt work i will then take bills advice and set that on a snow saucer lol. I think i screwed up by not filling base all the way. The sand leached out and hence why they moved. All making sense now. Will be adding pea gravel this time around and filled.

S
S
It is surprising just how bouyant they are when the diffusers fill with air. Takes more weight than a person might imagine.

Last edited by snrub; 12/10/17 04:32 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images