Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 523 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
shawnw Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok. I suppose starting with a water quality test kit, and some pics of existing fish will help. I will try and do that this weekend.

S
shawnw Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Any issues with going the rotenone route? Is timing important? Will it give you a garaunteed blank slate at correct dosage and timing? Are there human health risks consuming future fish produced in the pond.

You really need an expert to weigh in on this thread. See if you can get Bill Cody, Rainman, or Esshup's attention.

Rainman is based in the STL area and is a great guy to talk to over the phone, too.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Read through this question & answer list about rotenone use from the Oregon Fisheries & wildlife department. If you have more questions bring them back here and we will try to get you good reliable answers.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/local_fisheries/diamond_lake/FAQs.asp

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/02/17 06:58 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
shawnw Offline OP
OP Offline
S
great Bill, Thank you. It seems to me that relatively soon would be good timing for a rotenone treatment. My reasoning is this, let me know if you think it is sound reasoning.
-Rotenone is not as effective on fish eggs.
-I would assume that right now bluegill and sunfish spawns are not taking place.
-meaning no rotenone resistant fish eggs are sitting waiting to weather the rotenone storm and hatch
-meaning if rotenone was applied right now, it would kill all existing fish, leaving a blank slate and no hidden surviving fish eggs to pop up as a problem.

What kind of cost am I looking at to treat each pond?

Would pumping them down make a difference?

How about pumping them all down, then treating with a much decreased amount of rotenone in the remaining puddle that could not be pumped?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As far as I know rotenone does not kill fish eggs. September in Missouri should be the last spawning of sunfishes and most all pond type fish. Few fish spawn in fall at less than 62F.
Most economical way to do rotenone is draw down (pumping) the water of the pond to allow for less chemical needed. Drawn down also dewaters muskrat and rodent holes/dens to force fish from shoreline cavity hiding places where rotenone may not achieve adequate penetration or concentrations. If the ponds are not aerated or mechanically mixed, drawdown helps insure bottom water penetration of the rotenone into the deep areas (now only 3-6ft deep) which will not happen well when the pond is thermally stratified.

The smaller the water volume to be treated the less the cost and better the results. Some fish species require a higher dose to be killed. Many fish can be killed with 1gallon per 1 million gal of water while bullheads, carp, gar, GSF and a few others require 3 gal/million gallon. Turbid water also requires a higher dose of rotenone.

Cost will largely be determined by labor cost (time) and chemical. Chemical wholesale is around $100/gal +-$20. Expect upto double for retail and then labor or applicator profit.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/03/17 10:05 AM.

J
J
Seems to me it might be better to pump it down to a puddle and treat with hydrated lime.

T
T
If you pump it down you can see what was in the pond before you kill them all, that's an advantage in my books as long as it is cheap enough to be feasible vs just rotenoneing it.

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I don't trust hydrated lime as a fish eradication method. It can work if done exactly correctly. With hydrated lime how long does it take for the water pH to return to conditions where fish will live in it again?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I've found the ph level drops in a few days, up to a week. But I'm also always refilling the pond with well so my waiting period is much shorter as I'm diluting the lime. Easiest to drain as much as possible with siphon so volume is much lower and easier to nuke with lime. I'd even go so far as to seine remaining pools to ensure you have everything. I've limed fisheries 4 times now, learned something new every application. So far so good, but have to be careful and detail oriented.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Hey Shawn:

Lots of good info here - feel free to call me sometime, can cover a lot of ground on a call. I manage many cold water species fisheries and have a trophy sunfish fishery also - which is doing well. I've made a lot of mistakes along the way can help save you a ton of time and money. Happy to help.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

@ TJ, I didn't mean to play favorites, sorry

@shawn, you could get a kit but Texas A&M will process your sample for $20 and give you way more info.

http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/files/waterweb1.pdf

Originally Posted By: Bocomo

@shawn, you could get a kit but Texas A&M will process your sample for $20 and give you way more info.

I wish the Univ of Mo would do this. I'm in Columbia all the time. It would be nice to drop off a sample.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

I wish the Univ of Mo would do this. I'm in Columbia all the time. It would be nice to drop off a sample.

I sent some to MU but they don't do aquaculture-specific tests so the report was pretty unhelpful.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'd suggest Hydrated liming over rotenone every time for being sure all is killed. Less expensive and done properly, much better results, IMO.

Shawn, if you still want to go with SMB, HSB, YP, RES and WE, you ill want to add golden shiners, fathead and bluntnose minnows as forage...some spotfin shiners would be nice as well. Avoid BG or HBG, at least until you get good smallie growth (2+ pounds). The cool water species pond will need the proper spawning structures for the SMB and YP.....WE will not spawn, nor will HSB....RES will find places.

I'd make the 1/2 acre pond the BG pond, feeding Optimal pellets, stocked with 150 Pure Northern BG, 125 LMB and 50 RES with the same forage species, though FHM will disappear fast.

The 1/4 acre pond could be for forage, or for other species not wanted in your goal oriented ponds.

Last edited by Rainman; 11/06/17 09:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner