Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shorthose, Layne, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 629 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have heard Bob say a fish will gain weight 1:2 on feed. Is this true at differing water temps?

For example:

5 fish one each in 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 degree water eating 1 pound of feed, all will add 0.5 pound of weight? Will fish in colder water gain less, more, same as fish in warmer water eating the same amount of feed?????

Last edited by BrianL; 10/24/17 03:43 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll bet you that Rainbow Trout in 70 and 80 degree water won't gain any weight. laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Bob, must have been talking of force feeding smile My pond is or was similar to yours BrianL with lots of cnbg and few lmb in the beginning and so with little pressure from fish predators and feeding using a TH feeder and being fed most everyday for 3 yrs, the bg should weigh in at the maximum growth for that time period. How big will a cnbg get? lol

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Both feeding and metabolism will slow at both ends of the species temp range. Most fish are cold blooded which causes the above. Bob was talking about max growth at near optimum temps = growing days. Growth rates do vary even within the growth days. Digestion rate is highly variable based on metabolism which is controlled by temps. Feeding is similar but not identical to growth (offset a little on the temp scale).

Last edited by ewest; 10/25/17 09:02 AM.

B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The other thread got me to thinking about when to stop feeding. I guess main question was will a CNBG eating the same amount of food in 55 degree water gain the same as a CNBG in 75 degree water.

I talked to a few people about this when I first started feeding, but I may have misunderstood what was being said. My understanding(which may be WRONG) as the water gets colder, the fishes body doesn't convert fish food to body mass as well, thus a deminishing return on food as water temps decrease. If the fish isn't converting it to body mass, then it is being pooped out and increasing the nutrient load of the pond.

If that is not the case, I may feed till they stop eating regardless of water temp.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Temps here took a nosedive, 50's now in the day, 30's at night. Temp drop during the day is 20+ degrees. My fish haven't fed in 3 days, at least not visibly.

I cut feeder back to 2 sec morning and evening. Will increase it if I seed a feed response.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
It is going to drop here tonight as well. We are supposed to get our first frost tonight, but 40-50 degree temp swings around here are fairly common. It was mid 80s yesterday, and back in 80s Monday.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
Lunker
It's 37 degrees here this afternoon and the wind is blowing, they are forecasting 32 degrees at midnight with a low of 27 degrees at sunrise. I think I will skip feeding tonight.

J
J
Here, in late fall, it can be 45 one day and 75 the next. Cold and dry, then warm and wet. It depends on the fetch from the Gulf of Mexico. I wish we would get the winds from the Gulf all winter without letup. It's 43 here now (6:30 PM), supposed to have upper 70's again next week.

Dipping into the high 20s here at night now so I'm transitioning to winter mode at our pond. I quit feeding a week or so ago. Monday I will be stocking winter forage of FHM and GSH to keep everybody happy with an abundance of ready food if they get hungry during those cold winter nights. Vegetation is dying back so I will wait a couple of weeks and then turn off the aeration. I will only be aerating after that when we have really thick ice or snow cover until spring.

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/27/17 07:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
S
Just turned cold here and supposed to get down to freezing temps. I'm down to one diffuser running in the main pond and still running the ones in the sediment and forage ponds but trying to decide if I just want to shut everything down now.

Wondering if what warm days we have left it not better to let the upper water to warm up rather than try to turn the whole BOW.

Fish still feeding good right now. Not as active as a week ago but they still come to the shore line wanting fed every time I pass by with the 4 wheeler. Last year I made it to about the first of December before the water got too cold and fish activity dropped.

I will start feeding in the warmest part of the day now rather than right before dark as is my usual feeding time. May skip cold cloudy days if the fish are not interested. All hand feeding here so I can do that.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
It just hit 29 degrees here. I'm not sure if my fish are wanting to feed, but I am sure I won't be out there this morning to find out.

AL

T
T
Yes it's colder here also, I think we hit 34 last night but my water temps were 73 yesterday afternoon with the diffusers running. And my fish are still slow with feeding because of the heavy bloom that is still going now close to 30 days. I have found no dead or floating fish so I know they are ok, so far.

Tracy
P
P
Cold here as well. Tracy I also have had a strong bloom for over a month now, fishing is tough cause the visibility is less than a foot. Never had a bloom that strong before. Wondering if the filling temps will end this....

Lunker
Lunker
21 degrees here at sunrise.

T
T
Pat, I am kinda of glad to hear of others here so I know I am not the only Texas guy with dense blooms, but still I'm sorry to hear of your dense bloom, maybe it's not that big of a deal but I am guessing it could be. And if you are like me, I have worried to much about loosing fish due to the BLOOM that has been ongoing for some time now. Has your bloom gone through different color stages, mine has for the first time ever. For me, I think it was caused by the drought and by maybe over feeding( I tell myself don't do it) but I guess I'm feeding to much. I am going to change food when I run out of what I have and thinking of the Optimal and make myself feed for only 2 sec. per feeder per day. Or 6 sec total from the 3 feeders.

Are you feeding? What do you think caused your dense bloom?

Tracy
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Feeding 6 seconds a day may add a little to your bloom but that is not the cause in your water Tracy. Your bloom as described is like a thousand that I have seen and most were not on ponds with feeding.

J
J
22 degrees here at sunrise. First hard freeze. Ponds still relatively warm. Bluegill still feeding, CC surfacing a little for feed.

A neighbor's deep pond with steep banks about 700' south of mine is neglected, not managed, not fed, has only small sunfish AFAIK, and has a pea soup look all summer. No FA, just completely green water. It's surrounded on three sides by trees. It only gets runoff from a hay field and three back yards from a nearby subdivision, so the source of nutrients is probably from leaves, maybe a little turkey litter that the hay field gets once a year.

Last edited by John Fitzgerald; 10/28/17 12:47 PM.
S
S
I checked water temps right before feeding this evening. I was totally surprised that at 12" it was 55 degrees. I figured it would have been at least 60.

But the fish ate feed fine. Even the CC were up feeding aggressively so I would suspect the water temp deeper was higher.

I may check it again tomorrow at a deeper depth. I shut off all aeration so I would not be cooling the lower water from the cold snap we just had.

I suppose my pool thermometer could be off, but I would not think so.

Last year my fish got very sluggish and feed consumption slowed to a trickle when the temperature reached 50 degrees.

I expect this cold snap to pass and still have a month of feeding weather here.

John

T
T
Thanks Eric, I remember last June when I had the dense bloom, you suggested I look around the pond area for something in the environment that is the cause of my dense blooms. Will, I have yet to find what might be causing the dense blooms if it's not the feeding. MY Bad! If I continue on my present path and not find the source then maybe the BioCycle product I started using will help to control the excess nutrients. We shall see how this product works. Those small micro bugs have been in the water for about a week now, so I need to give those bugs a little more time at the breakfast table or double up on the next treatment.

John F, I have problems with excess Willow trees along two shorelines. And I attempt to keep them thinned out using a pole saw(chain saw). When doing the thinning I do get some leaves and small trees in the pond water. I have suspected it could be one of the causes of excess nutrients when thinning out those trees.

Tracy
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
They are calling for temps in the low 90s tomorrow! We are having big temp swings this year. I have about a week worth of food left, plus the Optimal test food. This should be a good test week.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
T
T
My surface temperatures were 68 last week and 65 day before yesterday. I cut my feeder back to one second a day which was probably premature as the next 7 days are going to be warm.

During the last 3 weeks, my water temps have been dropping into the 40s at night and climbing barely into the 50s on the warmest days. The GSF and GC are no longer coming to the surface for Optimal. I suspect the YP are still cleaning up pellets that sink.

My lone RBT slashes vigorously into the pellets immediately after they hit the water's surface. She looks kinda lonely, so...yesterday I brought home 10 tiger trout, 6 to 9 inches.

I imagine the rainbow is thinking, "There goes the neighborhood..." This will be my first try with tigers in the pond. What beautiful fish. Unfortunately, I broke the glass lens cover on my Droid phone while hunting antelope last week, so no pics.

Anyone have knowledge about replacing that round glass deal on a Motorola Force?

W
W
Originally Posted By: 4CornersPuddle
During the last 3 weeks, my water temps have been dropping into the 40s at night and climbing barely into the 50s on the warmest days. The GSF and GC are no longer coming to the surface for Optimal. I suspect the YP are still cleaning up pellets that sink.

My lone RBT slashes vigorously into the pellets immediately after they hit the water's surface. She looks kinda lonely, so...yesterday I brought home 10 tiger trout, 6 to 9 inches.

I imagine the rainbow is thinking, "There goes the neighborhood..." This will be my first try with tigers in the pond. What beautiful fish. Unfortunately, I broke the glass lens cover on my Droid phone while hunting antelope last week, so no pics.

Anyone have knowledge about replacing that round glass deal on a Motorola Force?

Very cool! Not to hijack, but I am very interested in how the tigers do and where you got them! If I can get the Brookies to reproduce at my place, I am adding a few tigers to help with population control!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Patrick Goddard, who owns Rainbow Springs Hatchery in Durango, was able to source the tigers. He is out of them now but plans to get more next year.

I got them second hand from someone near Durango who bought them from Patrick. The man I bought them from has a property with springs giving 1,000,000 gallons of flow per day of cold water suitable for trout! He has 7 ponds on his place plus 3 raceways for his hobby of trout rearing. I'm envious, to say the least.

B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We had another cold front come thru last night, but this last weekend my water was at 69 degrees at one foot deep and 68 @ 2'. I would have thought the water would have been colder...

Trophy Hunter feeder.
F
F
Brian, mine was still 74.5 this morning at 8am. But the cold front has hit here now. I will check this evening. They fed really well this morning!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I need to check feeder, but guessing it will be out or dang close. I will probably wait till next year to buy more feed.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
Lunker
Low of 19 degrees here this morning but it did warm up to 50 degrees this afternoon. Water temp two days ago was 45 degrees, it will be at least mid April before things have warmed up enough to start feeding again.

J
J
With the warm temps, mine have been feeding well for the past few days until today. It was cold and windy, so feeding slowed down again. I think I have enough feed to finish the season.

T
T
Mine was surface temps 63 yesterday morning and with the colder rain and nights this week I shut down the diffusers at 9pm to 4am. Not sure it will change much but thought I would see.

Tracy
F
F
Front came through. Air 49, surface water temp at 8am this morning was even 70 degrees. Almost 5 degrees cooler than yesterday at this same time. Still have feeder and aeriation going full blast. Water clarity getting better every day. Visibility now at about 15 inch on sechi dish. Fish fed like crazy still!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
J
J
I got a bag of Purina Catfish Chow SR today (sinking). Hopefully, I can effectively feed a couple of weeks more, and start earlier next spring. I could see fish picking it up off the bottom after I threw out a few handfuls this afternoon.

S
S
I did not check the water temp today, but last I checked it was 51 and my fish are still feeding well. Not as aggressive as a month ago, but they still follow me around the pond when I drive the 4 wheeler, them wanting to be fed.

I will keep feeding as long as the fish act like they want to eat. I have backed off the amount some and try to spread it out to two feedings rather than all at once.

We have some nicer weather, more sun and warmer temperatures in the forecast so I think feeding will continue here for a while.

BG are hitting the chartreuse Gulp Alive waxies great. It was "fish on" late afternoon with 9 out of ten casts hooking up. 19 more BG in the holding pen waiting to be filleted and several nice males that I returned to the water. Couple of GSF also. Pics are from last night and tonight. Most of the GSF I take out but I did return the largest one to see if I can raise a trophy GSF.

Attached Images
20171114_170647.jpg 20171115_162929.jpg 20171114_170853.jpg 20171115_162311.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 11/15/17 08:54 PM.

John

F
F
Water temp 8am this morning was still holding 67. Fed good but slower than a week ago. Taking about 2-3 times as long to eat the same amount of food.Water Has been in the mid 60's for a full week now. Visibility getting better each day. Now at about 18 inch on sechi dish.

J
J
Originally Posted By: snrub

BG are hitting the chartreuse Gulp Alive waxies great. It was "fish on" late afternoon with 9 out of ten casts hooking up.

I am glad the waxies are working out well for you. I have found them to be the best BG bait I have ever used, and can catch more BG in a given time frame than even red worms when used to tip a tiny jig.

T
T
The fish prefer the white over the chartreuse ones at my place. And will catch the 6 to 8" cnbg one after the other but the larger cnbg, I think they have learned not to bite those baits like they used to. I know the larger sized are still there with the smaller ones because I see them when feeding. just a little tougher to get them to bite. Educated fish I think!

Tracy
I may have to give those waxies a try next year. How do you guys fish them? Small jig head I know but under a cork or just toss them out and bounce the bottom or ....?

[Linked Image]
S
S
I do different than John F and I'll let him tell about his Mr Crappie pole.

I usually use a 1/64 or 1/32 oz jig type hook. I like them because I get less deep hooked fish than I do with regular hooks. I occasionally will use a bobber but usually just cast it out and bounce it off the bottom as I do a stop and go retrieve.

Right now I am using a casting bubble like Shorty uses. I like it because it gives me plenty of weight to cast anywhere I want because the light weight jig heads by themselves don't cast very far.

If the bite gets tough I will just go with a straight jig head with no swivel or anything. But if they are biting good the casting bubble gives me lots more options because of the added casting distance and its ability to bounce the jig off the bottom instead of dragging it along. If they are biting really good I can just cast and retrieve with the casting bubble making a wake ahead of the bait trailing 18" behind. The wake of the bubble will alert the fish then they get the bait behind it. But if the fish are spooky and don't want to bite that seems to be too much action and scares them away. Then I go with a quieter approach with just the jig head tied directly or letting the jig drop down below the casting bubble in a stop and go.

In the past I have had real good luck with the smallest size crank baits for catching BG. Bass pattern works good. But this year I have about exclusively used a jig head tipped with a small bait. I like the Gulp Waxies in both chartreuse and white. I have some pink Gulp maggots that also work good but they do not stay on the hook nearly as well as the waxies. They seem to be made of a softer foam. I also use just a small pinch of the Gulp imitation worms. Sometimes they will work if I am not getting the bites I want with the waxies. I also use various small bits of plastic worm or whatever I find in the tackle box. If the BG are biting, it does not make a lot of difference. If the bite is tougher then I have to experiment, but the Gulp waxies are hard to beat. I can often catch ten fish before I loose the bait and have to replace it. When I used to use real worms it was re-bait the hook almost every cast.

The Gulp Alive waxies are not carried locally. I have to order them on line. Wally world caries several of the gulp products, but not the waxies.

Last edited by snrub; 11/17/17 05:22 PM.

John

Thanks John!

[Linked Image]
J
J
I'll explain how I fish for BG in the fishing sub forum on a new topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??