Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, MnAngler, 4CornersPuddle), 625 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 183 1 2 3 182 183
C
OP Offline
C
There are other online forums that have a great 'sticky' thread that stays at the top of the list all the time. They usually have one that allows everyone to post under the heading of 'What did you do to your 'X' or with your 'X' (classic car, John Deere, pickup truck) today?' That allows for random posts, pictures, thoughts to go in one area without creating new threads all the time.

If such a thread exists on PondBoss then I'm happy to move this one or remove it. Is there a way to create a sticky thread that stays near the top?

As I was trucking out loads of leaves from the pond I thought we need a place to post random pictures of what maintenance tasks, projects, or other random things people do at the pond.

As I was throwing the weighted landscape rake in and dragging it back out and trying to get at least some of the many oak and maple leaves that fall into the pond, I was contemplating whether this work was worth it. Some nice neighbors going by on their walk were laughing at me and said it was far easier to simply cut down the trees that overhang the pond. It gave me food for thought at least... But I'm sure many leaves that end up in the pond are from trees that are deeper in the woods and not only those on the immediate boundary of the pond.

It was heavy/hot work, but hopefully worth it to remove a couple hundred pounds of organic stuff.

I raked on tuesday, let the long row of leaves air out, then raked into piles and went around with garden tractor and utility trailer and forked them into the trailer.

As I dragged in the leaves I saw some salamanders, a few tadpoles, baby dragonflies, even managed to capture one goldfish with the rake. Unfortunately also raked out hundreds of chinese snails again.

Despite sealing the pond bottom, we have had dry conditions and hot weather the last 2 weeks. The pond is dropping from evaporation. I can start the well but hoping that rain will do the trick eventually.

While working around the trees on the edge I noted these vines that have leaves that look suspect for poison ivy. The dog charges through the woods chasing things and then brings the poison ivy oil to the kids on his fur. I'm not sure I can always tell poison ivy from other 3 leaved vines. I thought the 3 leafs of poison ivy didn't have the irregular or jagged outlines (like sassafras leaves to, see the top leaf in the first picture) or maybe not? Here are 2 examples.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/02/16 11:40 AM.
J
J
That looks like P.I. to me. I don't usually pay much attention to it, since I am non reactive.

I fed the fish and watched the water recede. I have lost over 2-1/4 inches in three days. The soilfloc did not seem to help in the long run and the water loss has worsened since March. There is water coming up in the neighbor's field well behind my dam, but none at the toe of my dam. Might be a spring that was always there, or might be my pond. The field was an impenetrable thicket until he cleared it about three months ago, so water wasn't seen until after the clearing operation.

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
There are other online forums that have a great 'sticky' thread that stays at the top of the list all the time. They usually have one that allows everyone to post under the heading of 'What did you do to your 'X' or with your 'X' (classic car, John Deere, pickup truck) today?' That allows for random posts, pictures, thoughts to go in one area without creating new threads all the time.

If such a thread exists on PondBoss then I'm happy to move this one or remove it. Is there a way to create a sticky thread that stays near the top?

As I was trucking out loads of leaves from the pond I thought we need a place to post random pictures of what maintenance tasks, projects, or other random things people do at the pond.

As I was throwing the weighted landscape rake in and dragging it back out and trying to get at least some of the many oak and maple leaves that fall into the pond, I was contemplating whether this work was worth it. Some nice neighbors going by on their walk were laughing at me and said it was far easier to simply cut down the trees that overhang the pond. It gave me food for thought at least... But I'm sure many leaves that end up in the pond are from trees that are deeper in the woods and not only those on the immediate boundary of the pond.

It was heavy/hot work, but hopefully worth it to remove a couple hundred pounds of organic stuff.

I raked on tuesday, let the long row of leaves air out, then raked into piles and went around with garden tractor and utility trailer and forked them into the trailer.

As I dragged in the leaves I saw some salamanders, a few tadpoles, baby dragonflies, even managed to capture one goldfish with the rake. Unfortunately also raked out hundreds of chinese snails again.

Despite sealing the pond bottom, we have had dry conditions and hot weather the last 2 weeks. The pond is dropping from evaporation. I can start the well but hoping that rain will do the trick eventually.

While working around the trees on the edge I noted these vines that have leaves that look suspect for poison ivy. The dog charges through the woods chasing things and then brings the poison ivy oil to the kids on his fur. I'm not sure I can always tell poison ivy from other 3 leaved vines. I thought the 3 leafs of poison ivy didn't have the irregular or jagged outlines (like sassafras leaves to, see the top leaf in the first picture) or maybe not? Here are 2 examples.

CC,
Looks like poison ivy to me...it never used to bother me until a few years ago, now I can't get close to it without a reaction. Cut it loose, bundle it, and haul it off. Wear long sleeves and gloves. Whatever you do, don't burn it. You may inhale some fine particulate....then, you've really got problems. Good luck!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
A
A
CC, re the snails, do you have RES in your lake? I understand that there are RES adapted to Michigan. Perhaps they might help.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Double C, very good thread. I'm sure lots of folks will contribute with positive things. My contribution will probably not be so interesting but here it is. My water temp is at about 72, quite a bit lower than body temp. I was fishin and got snagged on a pallet at about 3' and had ta wade in to unhook. When the water level got to navel depth ol body instinct said "OK, let go" and therefore I increased the water temp and salinity level by very few ppm. So... that's what I did in/to my pond.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
C
OP Offline
C
Bob-O, rolling on the ground over here. Great update smile

Anthropic, I think I have RES (at least I stocked them twice but have never seen, trapped, or netted one). They may spawn soon then I'll know. I had hundreds of tiny NATIVE snails that disappeared after I stocked RES so I think I have them.

The chinese INVASIVE snails (Chinese Mystery Snails) came from the neighbors aquarium which he transferred to a bucket when he moved out of his house and bucket stocked an aquarium full of fish, snails and other unknown invaders in my pond. The snails are HUGE and nothing can eat them. Perhaps the RES can eat their young?

Chinese Mystery snails

Or have a snail harvest contest!!

504 pounds of snails!!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
That is poison ivy and very healthy plants.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

+1 please harvest some and send my X a bouquet! grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Double C, very good thread. I'm sure lots of folks will contribute with positive things. My contribution will probably not be so interesting but here it is. My water temp is at about 72, quite a bit lower than body temp. I was fishin and got snagged on a pallet at about 3' and had ta wade in to unhook. When the water level got to navel depth ol body instinct said "OK, let go" and therefore I increased the water temp and salinity level by very few ppm. So... that's what I did in/to my pond.

Bob,

Dangit man! Didn't you bring one of yer Blue Hairs back with you to clear hook snags!

Last edited by Bill D.; 06/02/16 09:29 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

+1 please harvest some and send my X a bouquet! grin

That's just too darn funny!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm with John F. I don't pay any attention to it because I'm not bothered by it.

So CC, when is the escargot cookoff??

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
H
Got the crusher run pad laid out, leveled and tamped for the pond shed that's coming next week. Planting another twenty chestnut seedlings later, brings this years total to 60... About halfway done planting this years crop. Got a little rain yesterday, seed around the lower ponds and upper orchard are looking great... And it saved me four hours of watering parched ground. Life is good.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
T
T
I have been running 1.5" air line (rolled tubing). I can say that no matter how I try to un-roll a 500' spool of tubing, it will tie into knots. Not just one knot but several knots. It is a PITA to lay 500' sections of 1.5" tubing !!! And I still have another one and a half spools to unroll and lay out.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
D
Got the burlap on our floating island trying to round up some plants to plant on it and launch it. Did a little fishing and caught my first 6" common shiner on a small crayfish. First time for every thing I guess. Did catch some perch to pass the time sitting on the log.

Watched the dog chase the bull frogs around the edge of the pond and checked the water temp that is knocking on 73. Time to turn the falls and aeration back to running at night.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
OP Offline
C
Since I can't reliably eye ball the poison ivy and know what is poison ivy and what is not, my thought was, someone can make a fortune if they could spray some otherwise nontoxic substance on the leaves and if they change color or some how make a change that is visible that other vines do not then we would have a good solution. This way folks could go to the wooded patch around their yards and spray this solution on the whole thing and the poison ivy would jump out at them. I don't know if this is even possible, but I thought if I can find some good healthy easy to identify samples it will give me a mini-laboratory to try various products one per leaf.

I was thinking starting things everyone has in the cupboard like dish soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, then move on to vinegar, weak baking soda solution, rubbing alcohol, bleach, acetone, one of the many cans of cleaners in my wife's cupboard, etc.

The key to keeping ahead of poison ivy is preventing exposure and the problem with prevention is that it is very hard to pick out in a wooded area.

I've always thought if they could spray something on your skin that shows where the oil is (makes it change color) you might have a fighting chance to get it off in time.

I've read that the snails are eaten in asia, not so much taste, but a subsistence staple. I guess if someone wanted to buy the snails by the five gallon bucket for food that is fine with me. However, I'd say since they are invasive and like to make baby snails that it would be safer to destroy them.

C
C
Think of mittens. The outside leaves have thumbs pointing outward, while the middle leaf has a thumb on each side.

J
J
Spray broadleaf killer on the Poison Ivy, mixed as strong as the label allows. Grass then will take over the area.

D
D
That to me looks like what we call poison oak. The leaf looks just like an oak leaf but it grows on a vine. Poison ivy or what we call poison ivy is a small short three leaf plant.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
OP Offline
C
That's the problem Dono, if I google image search poison ivy I get hundreds of plants and all look different. Everyone posts what they think is poison ivy (or poison oak) and they all look so different. We need to find an objective way to identify, just like we struggle to find an objective, by sight features way to sex RES smile

I agree that my vines climbing up the tree look more like poison oak but it also looks like the stuff that when I clear it I get a horrible itchy rash!!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well I didn't do anything today but I made this train the other day. The birds love it and the flowers are going great!! It's pine so it may not last long but it was fun to do...

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That's neat

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
That's the problem Dono, if I google image search poison ivy I get hundreds of plants and all look different. Everyone posts what they think is poison ivy (or poison oak) and they all look so different. We need to find an objective way to identify, just like we struggle to find an objective, by sight features way to sex RES smile

I agree that my vines climbing up the tree look more like poison oak but it also looks like the stuff that when I clear it I get a horrible itchy rash!!

Sure looks like poison IVY to me.

You know there are different types of poison ivy, yes? Eastern poison ivy is a vine and Western poison ivy is a shrub.

Poison oak is typically in the West and the Southeast. You being in Michigan may not have that much in your state.

Check those leaflets up close - if you find hair on both sides you have poison oak, else it's ivy.

Poison ivy and I go way back. I once pulled the hairy vines from our pines only to coil them up and BURN THEM. Yes, burn them. As I stood 10 feet away tending the brush fire. Internal poison ivy is a treat.

Didn't learn.

Fast forward many years and while in the bush I had an opportunity to SELECT a leaf to use for wiping. Of all the leaves in the area I managed to pick poison ivy. And the proceeded to wipe with it. Then days later entered the dermatologist yet again to confirm I had poison ivy "down there".

Now I easily recognize it, suit up, remove it, bag it, and toss it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I spray poison ivy and oak with a product called Remedy. It kills woody stemmed plants.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
L
Some botanists think that Poison Ivy and Poison Oak are the same plant, but manifest differently in different conditions.
Either way it is very sensitive to Roundup, and due to getting very allergic to it the older I get, I nuke it from orbit (it is the only way to be sure) any time it shows up. What you have is Poison * and your best bet is to hit it with Roundup and then let it sit for a couple months for the poison to break down, then remove it or just let it rot off.

Lately I have just been feeding the perch (they may do a number on the snails by sucking out the innards) and swimming with my kiddo as well as pulling out cattails from where I don't want them. Snorkeling has been a wonder in the clear water, and the fish are getting used to my presence so I can watch them swim around me. All great stuff.

Except for the blobs of algae that keep pulling up debris from the bottom and floating it in small islands of barf. I have too much light on the bottom, though it seems to be helping to pull crud from the deep parts and floating it to the edges for decomposition. Maybe it will have an effect on muck accumulation reduction, especially when I accidentally ingest some while splashing with the kiddo.

F
F
Wife and I fished today for about an hour. Caught,weighed,and measured 35 cnbg anywhere from 4 1/2 inch to 8 1/2 inch and weighing over 1/2 pound on some. Average relative weight for those 35 fish was 111%. Worst was 89% on one fish. We're pleased still. Lot's of little 1 inch babies also.Caught all these fish in the rain.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Page 1 of 183 1 2 3 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!