Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: snrub
Got the overflow pipe installed in my old pond. Last December, just before heading for our winter stomping grounds, I did get a chance right before we left to install the overflow pipe that I had said I chickened out on in the above post.

Just got back and someone had ask for some pictures of the refurbished old pond after raising the dam, so below are some new pictures I just took.

Normally we would have had enough rain over the winter to fill the pond. But since we only had a couple rains that produced a minimal amount of runoff, the water level is still below full pool a foot or so. But the island in the middle is just barely visible where in the pictures in the above post it raises a foot or so above water at the old pond level full pool. Will post some more pictures when it gets to full pool. Been a dry winter.

The post above has pictures of raising and extending the dam. These pictures are after I installed the 8" schedule 40 sewer pipe and filled in the area where the earthen overflow had been and extended the dam appropriately. The emergency overflow is now basically both sides of the pond, which is about 8" above full pool. In other words, when the pipe is running full, the water will start around the dam on both sides for the emergency outlet of excess water. I made the emergency so close to the overflow pipe level to get what I felt was the maximum water level available.

Picture where old overflow area was

An update about the old refurbished pond. After several 1-2" rains it is at full pool and running out the overflow. Pictures with descriptions below.

Attached Images
IMGA2142.JPG IMGA2157.JPG IMGA2156.JPG IMGA2154.JPG IMGA2155.JPG IMGA2159.JPG IMGA2179.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 04/28/17 08:55 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Caught largest GSF to date out of the main pond. Almost 9".

Bluegill were hitting like a hammer hits a nail.

CC that I think may have been from reproduction in my pond. If it is one of the original stocked fish, it is a runt. But it looked like an actively growing healthy fish. Thus I believe it is an offspring from the original stock.

Attached Images
IMGA2171.JPG IMGA2172.JPG IMGA2168.JPG IMGA2167.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 04/28/17 09:06 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Was a nasty day yesterday. 20+ mph winds, 9" waves on the pond, water 4" over full pool and the fish were not at all interested in feed when I threw a little out so I did not go ahead and feed them.

It was a day where the hybrids shine though, as far as catching some fish on a rough day. I stood on the dock, let out about 6' of line (might as well been fishing with a cane pole) and dropped it down beside one of the posts holding the dock up. Raise the rod too high and the wind would take the line and 1/64 oz jig completely out of the water. Chartreuse Gulp Alive waxie for bait.

Caught a few very small BG, one that was maybe 7-8", but when nothing else wants to bite the hybrids with GSF in their genetic makeup is the fish of the day. I have transferred hundreds and hundreds of CNBGxGSF hybrids as well as a lesser number of RESxGSF hybrids from my sediment and forage ponds into this main pond. Pictures below are some of those hybrids starting to get some size to them. Caught a number of smaller ones too.

Attached Images
IMGA2189.JPG IMGA2190.JPG IMGA2191.JPG IMGA2192.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 05/01/17 11:44 AM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Still not catching any small ones that I am aware of but while away a friend caught this one and sent me the picture. Looks decent enough to me. Daughter said he caught several "really big" ones. I assume the picture is of the largest one. No weights or length but the guy in the picture is 6' tall.

I rarely fish for LMB but would think I should be catching some 6-12" ones while fishing for BG but never do.

Attached Images
lmb.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 05/15/17 07:14 AM.

John

T
T
snrub, that's a nice one smile looks like male to me (if caught from last Dec through April). Nice and muscular. looks like u might need to do a little lmb fishing yourself.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That fish was caught last Sunday and daughter told me he caught three all about that same size.

Makes me wonder if they were on beds or protecting fry but it seems too late in the season for that. I would have thought the LMB spawn would already be completed in my area.

Yes, I may have to try my hand at it in a couple weeks.

Last edited by snrub; 05/16/17 08:54 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here are a couple fish pictures from the main pond. A CC and a GSF I am trying to grow to trophy size. The GSF went back in the pond to grow, the CC went in the holding pen to join us for a meal.

Been thinning BG over the last few months. Filleted probably a couple hundred with a few of them being hybrids.

Funny thing about the hybrids. Today around 5 o'clock the BG were not biting hardly at all. At least on what I was offering them. But I caught a half dozen hybrids and three GSF, one of them is the picture below. Any GSF under 6" get their tail cut off and back in the pond for bass snacks. The bigger ones go back to grow larger.

Normally out of thirty fish caught 27 would be BG, a couple hybrids and maybe one GSF. But tonight the BG were persnickety so the GSF and hybrids took up the slack. That is one thing I like about them because if nothing is biting I quickly loose interest. I am a lousy angler. But the hybrids will usually oblige and jump on my hook when the BG are on vacation. Caught both RES/GSF and BG/GSF hybrids up to about 9".

But along about the time the sun had just set, a little before 7, the BG came alive. Then it was fish on. Caught a dozen or so before it got too dark. I find it funny how that works. Someone other than me fishing and if they quit a half hour before I did might have thought I had a pond full of hybrids and GSF. But in reality they are more like one in a few hundred BG.

The CC I caught on a 2" GSF I had trapped out of my forage pond and decided to give live bait a try.

No bragging rights fishing, but I am happy with the results. I would like a few more size classes of LMB out there keeping my BG under better control though.

Ain't that a beautiful GSF specimen?

Attached Images
20171020_174711.jpg 20171020_182534.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 10/21/17 12:41 AM.

John

T
T
snrub, after seeing the large hammer beside your nice catfish, I am thinking maybe you should change your call sign to "THOR" I am guessing u knocked his lights out with that hammer in order to get him to pose for the picture smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
laugh
I noticed that hammer after I posted the picture.

That is for poacher control. grin

Seriously I do quite a bit of trapping with minnow traps. I keep the hammer in there to drive steel concrete form stakes into the ground to hold the rope that is attached to the minnow trap.

Found out early on if you just lay the rope on the ground, a curious raccoon or snapping turtle can land the minnow trap in deep water beyond reach. So I always stake them now.

It took me about a minute to get the picture. As long as my hand was on it would lay still. The second I removed my hand he was trying to crawl back to water. So I got about three shots of it curled up before I got one with it stretched out.

Last edited by snrub; 10/21/17 11:24 AM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
A few fish from a couple days ago when it was warm outside. I mostly fish off the banks but these came from around some of our structure fishing from the boat.

And I finally caught a LMB! Was about 15" so I think it likely was from the 100 additional fingerlings I stocked last fall. Or it could have been from recruitment. At any rate was glad to see it. Was going to take a picture but it gave one good flip as I pulled it up to grab hold of it and it just flipped the small barb-less jig out of its mouth and was back in the water. Just as well as I definitely was going to release it as LMB are hard to come by in my pond.

Attached Images
20171025_175824.jpg 20171025_175845.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 10/27/17 10:07 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Not everyone has one of these but it works pretty well installing near shore structure. Took a couple dead oak stumps out from trees I cut down around the house so I put the two stumps and two cedar trees out as far as the telehandler would reach near our dock.

I put no structure originally around the dock thinking I would keep it free of debris for swimming. Fishing from the dock has just been "ok" and the best fishing is from mid dock casting along the shore line. So might as well be fishing from the bank.

So I put one stump and one cedar tree on the north side of the dock with the cedar being a little closer to shore (fish highway) and the other two on the south side. I put them within light jig casting distance so it can be fished from the dock.

Hopefully this will improve the fishing from the dock if the structure holds some fish.

Attached Images
20171027_143744.jpg 20171027_143755.jpg 20171027_144319.jpg 20171027_144902.jpg 20171027_144333.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 10/27/17 10:23 PM.

John

F
F
Wow, that is just the ticket for what you are using it for!!

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It would be nice to have a telehandler for lots of projects.

J
J
Originally Posted By: RAH
It would be nice to have a telehandler for lots of projects.

I bet it would be quite useful with a rake attachment for scooping out floating FA.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work. Did you add structure anywhere else while you were at it ?

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I did not Eric. I needed to do something with these stumps I took out and the two cedars were from spring and were sitting in shallow water waiting to be placed. So I just did these two spots with what I needed to move anyway.

I put plenty of structure around the dam side of the pond before it filled. But I ran out of time before we left for the winter on the dock side so there is very little stricture there. Some gravel beds for spawning but not much else.

I will see if this improves fishing from the dock. If it does I might put out a couple more spots on that side of the pond next year.

Last edited by snrub; 10/28/17 12:47 PM.

John

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My experience is that the new structure will help fishing at the new locations. How deep is the new structure ?

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The structure should be in about 5-6 ft of water and come within a foot or two of the surface, depending on how the stump landed. I tried to drop them so they either landed on the cut end of the trunk or on the trunk and one side of the root ball. One I am sure I got that way because I could actually see one root sticking up above the surface a couple inches (but today it is gone so must have settled in a little). The other stump I could not tell as it slipped off the forks pretty quickly. It may have ended up sitting on the root ball, which would not be as good in my opinion. On that one though I did not weight the cedar tree and it is sticking out above the water on one end.

So I think I have structure from the bottom to almost all the way to the surface.

I fished it today and caught some, but really had better luck along the bank as usual. May take time for the fish to call it home.

John

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That should work well as you have vertical cover bottom to top.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Water temperature at 56 degrees but it was "fish on" yesterday afternoon. For about 30 minutes it was one BG right after another with a few almost 9" with most being in the 6-8" range. Mostly BG but a few hybrids with one of each pictured below.

After the first half hour the bite was "ok" and caught quite a few more at various places along the bank. But that first half hour I would have thought if was in 70 degree water.

Fed the fish right before sundown and they were actively feeding, but I could tell they were not as quick or aggressive as when the water was warmer. I was surprised at them going after the 1/64 jig with just a bit of plastic on it for bait as aggressively as they did.

The biggest, nicest males I returned to the water and most of the rest went to the holding cage to get filleted another day. I did also put one large hybrid back just to see how big it could get. If I get a particularly good looking large female I will also return them, but none yesterday made the grade.

Attached Images
20171029_161039.jpg 20171029_165328.jpg

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Three more HBG from today. These should be some of the natural hybrids that were produced in my sediment pond that was stocked with CNBG and RES. A few GSF got in there and I got lots of hybrids produced that I transferred to my main pond mostly as fingerlings. Most were GNBGxGSF but also some RESxGSF. These appear to be ordinary HBG from the CNBGxGSF cross.

The fourth picture I also posted on another thread on RESxGSF crosses, but I posted it again here so it can be compared to the other three hybrids.

Largest HBG went .63 pounds. All three went to the holding pen to be invited to dinner. Would have liked to put them back to grow out more, but I have so many BG if I am going to make any dent in the population have to get aggressive at taking fish out. So these three will go under the knife tomorrow. I've been returning to the pond only pure BG males over 8" that look like they have good genetics. I did return one really nice female. Edit: I also return the RESxGSF hybrids to the pond - there are a lot less of these than the regular HBG

Good day fishing. BG were biting great in 54 degree water. Must have caught something over 30. Still taking feed good too.

Attached Images
20171104_131639.jpg 20171104_132238.jpg 20171104_134034.jpg 20171104_152808.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 11/04/17 11:37 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well in my quest to reduce fish biomass have filleted 321 BG and 10 CC to date for this season. We did 143 BG Sunday afternoon.

I think I could do that many more 6-7" BG and still have plenty.

I need to recruit some more LMB to help me in my quest.

John

Hey John,

Ever considered letting your CC grow larger to help with the BG?

I find it interesting that you have CC recruitment but not LMB recruitment. I would think the slow moving CC spawn would be easier targets than the LMB spawn for the BG.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/07/17 06:52 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have some CC around the 3+ so they should be getting up there big enough to help. I have removed 20 or so 6-9" long CC as I catch them.

I take it LMB must like the CC better than BG. But you do raise an interesting point.

Interesting I have not seen my CC for about a week at feeding time because of the colder water, yet I will still catch the occasional small one while fishing for BG. The BG are biting like gangbusters. I fished the main pond for only ten minutes tonight right before it got dark and caught a half dozen. Water temp was 54 a couple days ago and based on ambient temps would not think it has changed much. BG still feeding really well.

John

snrub #482467 11/10/17 11:40 PM
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is always exciting for me when I catch one of my RES in the main pond. I have so many BG, getting a RES to take the bait before a BG or HBG or GSF gets to it is difficult.

So it is always a good day fishing when I catch a nice RES. Caught this one right after sundown on a 1/64 oz jig head with about an inch of Gulp Alive fake worm.

This guy was 8" but was far from fat. Looked to be in good health and good shape, but looked like forage was limiting because it sure was not overly finished. I think I have so many BG, the RES just faces lots of competition for food. I can offset some of that for the BG with fish food, but likely the RES is not getting any of that.

Caught a few BG for the fillet pen and one pretty nice HBG that also will be invited to dinner. And took a picture of a nice after sunset sky over the pond.

Attached Images
20171110_171116.jpg 20171110_173159.jpg 20171110_170710.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 11/10/17 11:47 PM.

John

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?