Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#481077 10/15/17 01:15 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I have a 1 acre pond that used to be an quarry 100 years ago so it is 16 ft deep almost everywhere. It does have a few shallow areas though. It was stocked early summer this year with brown trout 80 of them 8-10inch size. They are not fed. The pond is full of minnow, crayfish, leeches, bugs and weeds. There are also tons of frogs and 5 big snapping turtles. What would happen if I added bass? Would you recommend adding bluegill aswell. I don’t want to disturb the current ecosystem ex-frogs all eaten or turtles have no food.

If it sounds like a good idea numbers would be great

Thanks so much

Adam

I subscribe!
T
T
Why do you want to add bass? Are you looking for a fish that is easier to catch? As long as there is aeration and enough spawning structure adding a few bass and bluegill wouldn't hurt. Also IMO you shouldn't have to worry about the turtles running out of food.

If you wanted a strong catchable population soon, add 500 "intermediate" or "adult" size BG and 50 bass of "intermediate" size, point being to escape trout predation. If that is too expensive for you add 100 of the biggest BG you can buy and 10 midsize bass but be warned that catchable populations will be years away.

If you are just after a catchable fish and like trout add RBT. If you do so maybe consider a forage species to increase growth such as GSH.

Take this with a large pinch of salt as I am no expert.

Last edited by ThePondDragon; 10/15/17 04:26 PM.

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
Are you thinking of adding LMB or SMB? Makes a big difference when considering required forage, etc.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
F
OP Offline
F
The reason is to provide decent fishing as I do not like to catch the trout because they do not do catch and release to well. There is a large fountain for aeration. I also don’t want a pond full of bass or requiring bass to be kept. I am open to either large or small mouth bass aswell as any other catchable fish species that are not trout.

Adam

I subscribe!
F
OP Offline
F
I am open to either and am not set on bass just don’t want more trout

Adam

I subscribe!
Since you don't want a pond full of bass or have to harvest bass, I would leave them out. Maybe consider WE, HSB and perhaps YP as forage? I'm not a pro, just thinking of fish that will not reproduce and over populate. The YP will reproduce but the trout, WE and HSB should be able to control their numbers.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Since you don't want a pond full of bass or have to harvest bass, I would leave them out. Maybe consider WE, HSB and perhaps YP as forage? I'm not a pro, just thinking of fish that will not reproduce and over populate. The YP will reproduce but the trout, WE and HSB should be able to control their numbers.

+1 on that. With YP and walleye the WE won't reproduce and all you will have to do is eat a few perch dinners every year.

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I would not add LMB. They to easily will overpopulate. HSB are likely not available in Canada. Walleye will survive in your pond but are typically not as easy to catch as bass in a pond. IMO the best co-predator for your Canada pond I would add a few SMB. Expect them to reproduce but not nearly as well as LMB. Keep in mind the trout will not grow quite as well with another predator in the pond because the available natural foods will have to be shared among all fish. Resorting to feeding the trout will make them grow better and easier to catch, plus you will be better able to monitor their numbers and sizes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/15/17 07:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you all for your responses. I could potentially stock SMB as there is a place fairly close to Me. If I did stock SMB what other fish would need to be stocked. What about stocking just sunfish or would that cause overpopulation?

Thanks

Adam

I subscribe!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
First check to see what forage is common in the place with SMB near you. Then consider using those forages since both exist together. Your minnows crayfish and other items feeding the trout will be adequate for a few SMB. Make efforts to keep the SMB numbers lower density because too many bass will eat too much forage which will noticeably reduce the trout to poor quality.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/15/17 08:39 PM.

I would much prefer non-reproducing top end predators in a 1 ac pond. How about bowfin? Maybe not good eating but good fighting.

F
OP Offline
F
Is there any other predators that don’t reproduce? I just want a few catchable fish but not a pond full of them.

Adam

I subscribe!
C
C
There are good threads on the PB forum about using pickerel, northern pike and/or muskie as the apex predator, although they would not be a type of fish you could easily catch so you would control numbers by how many you stocked.

Look into HSB, depending where you are located it might be possible. (Where in Canada?)

Is it possible to reliably sex catfish where a male or female only channel or blue cat could be used?

F
OP Offline
F
I am in Ontario and am not sure HSB are available. What are their benefits? Do most fish stocking places have fish available that are just one sex?

Thanks

Adam

I subscribe!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Main benefit to HSB are they fight very long and hard; harder than trout and SMB. Secondary benefits are they eat pellets well and do not reproduce, with a smaller mouth thus they do not eat as big of forage fish as LMB, mainly an open water predator.
Single sex fish are an option. Best and easiest most dependable way to sex most predators is to collect them during the spawning season; females are egg laden and males are emitting milt. Make sure you see the fully swollen abdomen or milt before stocking.

IMO the best way to meet your initial goals without doing stocking missteps is to collect some female yellow perch in early spring during the spawn. Post spawn female YP will have a reddened distorted genital opening for a week or two after laying eggs. Yellow perch should grow well on your invertebrate and minnow forage.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/16/17 06:52 PM.

C
C
Check with your authorities, but this forum and series of postings about it suggests there are definitely hybrid striped bass in the waters around you but they are not legal to stock in the Great Lakes or other lakes.

However, each state has different rules, not sure if ontario province has different rules. In MI and OH a private pond is not prohibited from HSB since HSB is not on the MI 'invasive species' list, but it must be a pond with out inlet or outlet to public waters.

The benefit is that HSB reproduction is very rare so you can easily control numbers, they are a blast to catch (not for the fainted hearted when they take the bait), they are an apex predator but live and eat in a different niche then LMB so some folks have both as apex predators and it works fairly well. LMB always present population control issues. HSB also have a smaller mouth so if they are already in the pond you can get away with stocking other fish later at a smaller size without so much concern that they will be fish snacks for your LMB. Also I think all HSB are pellet trained? This really helps as they come to you ready to grow on pellets which gives them a huge growth potential and also saves some of the forage in your pond for other species.

see this brief link:

HSB in Lake Erie and beyond

Last edited by canyoncreek; 10/17/17 07:19 AM.
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the info. I think I may go with perch but there is still deciding to be done. Again thanks all for your responses

Adam

I subscribe!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM