Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Strat, Wholesale septic, Sledgehammer, Tiger4n, Chris22
15035 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15035 Members
36 Forums
34795 Topics
475787 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24012
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18957
Dave Davidson1 13093
Theo Gallus 12332
Who's Online
9 registered (elnoseface, Brand0, Zep, sprkplug, azteca, John Fitzgerald, catmandoo, highflyer, scott69), 133 Guests and 391 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#286856 - 04/05/12 02:26 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Cecil Baird1]
SwanSpirit Offline

Loc: Florida
great thread - learned a lot, ty!

Jennifer Swan Hopkins

#422554 - 08/29/15 04:56 AM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]
Fatih Offline

Loc: Turkey
Is it easier to figure their sex while they are smaller? Because i have some colorful and some plain color BG's. I think maybe the colorful ones are males. (They are 4-5 months old by the way)

#422568 - 08/29/15 08:50 AM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Fatih]
Shorty Online   content
Lunker

Loc: Raymond, NE
Faith , BG are more difficult to sex when they are smaller and immature.

#480042 - 09/17/17 08:04 AM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]
Jim Wetzel Online   content

Loc: Holts Summit, MO
What kind (Northern, Coppernose, etc.) of BG are being sexed. When it comes to the male side, you can, and more often than not do have more than one functional type of male and they complicate sexing based on looks alone.

#480060 - 09/17/17 10:02 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Pics

Attachments
BG1sexing.JPG (351 downloads)
BG2sexing.JPG (230 downloads)
BG3sexing.JPG (489 downloads)
BG4sexing.JPG (224 downloads)
BGsexingchart.JPG (217 downloads)

Edited by ewest (09/18/17 01:57 PM)

#480085 - 09/18/17 01:56 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Here are the missing pics from the PB article on BG sexing by Bruce , Bill and Cecil lost due to Photo Bucket. They do not attempt to cover the sexing of alternative lifestyle BG male cuckhold/sneekers etc.

#480093 - 09/18/17 03:54 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]

Be assured this is not a strictly academic concern so I am hardcore when it comes to sexing BG because messing up gets expensive.

Focusing on Northern BG;

Dorsal spot is not a reliable indicator as is has more to deal with mental state that is generally independent of reproduction.

Urogenital opening works when females mature. Opening I am concerned with is the most posterior as I am not not able to sex a fish based on appearance of the poop. Expressing gametes is better. The yellow coloration of male's vent area works best on the first type of male below.

Northern BG males come in three flavors with different names according to who you are talking to. First is bull / primary / nest building that has the large opercular tab, dark spots on nape and sometimes dorsal part of flank as well as a generally blackish cast ventrally. Such males can possess solid bars on flanks. This variant most people will pick up off nest or out of raceway and call a male with little hesitation. Second differs first by having a smaller opercular tab and less developed black spots. Solid bars can also be present. This variant can be confused from a distance, especially when keying in on opercular tab and sooty look of the first type. This dude looks like a lady and seldom makes a nest and when he does has a hard time sticking with it. The third type is small like a juvenile without taking on pattern of either female or male. These guys sneak into nest and drop a load when female is extruded eggs with the first type of male doing most of the work.

Northern BG females have a freckling pattern on flanks, generally smaller opercular tabs that can occasionally be larger than those of the second male type, and generally a yellowish belly early in breeding season. As breeding season progresses, actively spawning females start to look silvery as pigments are depleted as they are invested in eggs.

#480107 - 09/18/17 08:34 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]
canyoncreek Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Jim, there seems to be more confusion about sexing BG than just about any other topic here. We'd love to see pictures if you have time at some point in the future. It is intriguing that there are 3 distinct males and at least 2 patterns for females. No wonder we study so many pictures of BG on this forum and always find it so hard to decide male or female.

#480113 - 09/18/17 09:45 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Bruce Condello]

We first must get bet beyond using the term BG as like not distinguishing a LMB from a SMB and a SB.

I have been working with wild stocks from all over. Northern BG are pretty consistent no matter where you get them from. Coppernose BG really mess things up and I am still trying to figure out Han-paint BG. The some of the Coppernose BG stocks are very different from each other as well making so generalizing not so easy. I have messed with what I think were Southwestern BG which are very similar to Northern BG but not enough to say much with confidence. Give me time to work up pictures which may take more than a year.

The BG clan is almost as much fun as the LES clan.

#480117 - 09/18/17 11:41 PM Re: Differentiating between male and female bluegill [Re: Jim Wetzel]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
I think sexing LMB is much harder than Northern BG when there is no milt/eggs present.

When I'm sexing Northern BG, I go by the rule of thumb that if I'm not 100% sure it's a female then I consider it a male.

Same for a male. If I'm not 100% sure then all bets are off. I also agree with Jim, don't even start going down the hybrid or different species Bluegill path in regards to male/female.

Here on the forum I consider "BG" to be synonymous with Northern pure strain Bluegill.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Today's Birthdays
Bill Cook, Bossone, hugh greer, Kris C5
Recent Posts
100% Green Sunfish
by Jim Wetzel
06:16 PM
Southern Specklebelly Sunfish - SSS
by Jim Wetzel
06:11 PM
Crayfish for human consumption.
by Jim Wetzel
05:57 PM
Brush PIle for Pond
by 2blade
04:17 PM
A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish
by John Fitzgerald
01:44 PM
Dave Davidson Gift Keeps On Giving!
by FireIsHot
11:53 AM
Another Otter bites the dust
by snrub
10:17 AM
"policy" on old content resurrection?
by sprkplug
07:50 AM
Best Source For Large Redears............
by snrub
11:56 PM
Known Hybrids Based on Pumpkinseed Dam
by sprkplug
10:31 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Sand Quarry
Cactus Blum Ranch proposed pond
Cactus Blum Ranch proposed pond
Cracked Valve Housing
Indoor Dwarf Sagittaria tank.
#MAFA