Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (H20fwler, BillyE, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 746 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Snrub, I think your post illustrates what I'm thinking. If I'm understanding you correctly, you were satisfied with the performance of your fish on the 32% feed. THEN you discovered pondboss. I wonder how many others are in the same arena as you used to be?

I see it as "us's", and "thems". The "us's" are like what we see here on the forum. Serious about ponds and fish. The "thems", are the overwhelming majority of pond owners. The notion of hiring a consultant, or buying pedigreed fish, is not something they would ever consider. Fish come from a truck that stops in the parking lot of the feed store, and ponds are dug by the same guy who put in your septic system. Certainly neither is preferable, and I think we would all agree on that point. But you know what....there are a TON of satisfied pondowners, who are living this very existence. "They" might have a leak in their pond...."we" have leaks also. "They" might suffer a fishkill in their unaerated pond."We" might very well do the same in our bottom diffused, engineered ponds. "They" might have a problem with "moss". "We" fight FA and pondweed.

Where I see a difference is with the size structure of the fish themselves. "We" pour money and time into our ponds like the waitress pours free refills of sweet tea at a Cracker Barrel. Over and over again. "We" want 11 inch bluegills and double digit bass. "They" are thrilled with the kids catching a stringer of 8-9" bluegills, and the occasional 18" bass. And once the fish go in, the only other money spent on the pond might be for some copper sulfate. And the kicker to all of this? "They're" happy with their pond. We're" happy too, but does the ratio of dollars spent to enjoyment gained, work to our favor or theirs?

Does happiness diminish once knowledge of what MIGHT be, is gained?

Low cost, easily obtainable 32% will grow some pretty good fish...speed costs money, how fast do we want to go.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Quote:
Does happiness diminish once knowledge of what MIGHT be, is gained?

Yes.

First it was my rate of leak and building my pond wrong.

Second was I stocked before I knew what was in the pond...stocked at the wrong time of year...and stocked bass same time as my forage.

Third, I felt like I moved up in the world the first day I opened a bag of optimal and aquamax.

Forth....knowing that if I had found pondboss.com a year earlier all these thing could have and would have been different.

All diminished...no. But I do dwell on things that I wouldn't have before.

Net return of happiness...My pond now is producing what many of "them" ponds around here are producing...difference is mine has been around a few years...theirs has been around for 20 or 30.

Do I have alot of room to improve..yes.

Was I a "them"...yes...am I an "us"...not yet but working on it.

I'm very happy, and if I keep it up will be even more happy.

We all have hobbies we sink our teeth and funds into. We find enjoyment in those things...will we be disappointed from time to time...oh yeah...but the fun is not the goal...the fun is the ride to that goal and learning along the way.

If you find your hobby turning into a job...you might need a new hobby.

Some make a living at this...I'm in aww of those folks. Getting to do what we all want to be able to do at home...but actually make money instead of spend it. lol

Sorry John...not trying to highjack.

S
S
There are definitely differences in those pond owners that are passionate about what they do with their ponds and if it is their main passion hobby they are willing to sink a lot of time and money into it, and the rest who would prefer a nice pond over a not so nice one but don't loose a lot of sleep over it not turning out perfect. I always think of John Monroe when I think about a "go with the flow" pond owner.

Isn't that the purpose of a hobby? Divesting us of our excess time and money?

I'm somewhere in the middle, probably leaning more toward the John Monroe style than a "trophy fishery has to have everything perfect" style. I likely will loose interest after a few years. That is the way my hobbies go. I get intensely interested for a few years, enjoy the learning process, then tire of it. Motorcycle traveling and scuba diving are the only two hobbies that have held my interest from teenage years till today. The others all seem to fall by the wayside after a while.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Good post peachgrower. I think I'm more of a goal orientated rather than enjoying the journey, kind of guy. Once the goal is achieved, it's time to move on to the next item on the list. I actually met my pond goal a few years back, so perhaps I'm feeling that it's time to quit spending money and time on my ponds, and just enjoy them for what they are. Kinda sounds like what snrub was talking about.

Good luck on the journey peach, It will be interesting to see if, and how your perspectives may change after 7-8 years. If your experience is anything like mine, it will be an awesome ride!

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Good post peachgrower. I think I'm more of a goal orientated rather than enjoying the journey, kind of guy. Once the goal is achieved, it's time to move on to the next item on the list. I actually met my pond goal a few years back, so perhaps I'm feeling that it's time to quit spending money and time on my ponds, and just enjoy them for what they are. Kinda sounds like what snrub was talking about.

Good luck on the journey peach, It will be interesting to see if, and how your perspectives may change after 7-8 years. If your experience is anything like mine, it will be an awesome ride!

I am almost totally goal oriented as to my ponds. After I harvest the batch of CC from my newer pond next year, and see how big my BG will get in the old pond, then I will enjoy them for what they are too. I am really tired of pumping to counteract a leak, and not much faith in leak fixing.

Hopefully, the AM MVP feed issue here will be soon resolved. At least we should hear something about it.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Up until 2009 my hobbies never included a pond unless I was fishing in it which is one of my favorite hobbies. With that said pond management has become a part of my life, not so much because I love to manage ponds but because I love to fish them... lol

Just like I love to hunt. Therefor becoming good at food plots and such and basic farming kinda goes along with it.

To me there is nothing more satisfying then catching that Lunker bass or big blue gill or HSB out of a pond that you created.

Just like taking that nice buck from your land you worked on so hard. Nothing better than that. IMO

Well there is one thing better! Getting to watch your kids do it!!! smile

RC

Last edited by RC51; 09/13/17 01:23 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
OP Offline
J
Att: Bob Lusk- PM sent

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Received a call from Purina yesterday. A mistake was made at the production plant.
The plant made a run of 32% catfish food. Bags are filled by machine, but the empty bags are staged by a person. The MVP batch was scheduled immediately after the catfish food run. Catfish bags were filled, and underneath those bags were MVP bags, prepped for that run.
There was an overage of product, and the machine picked up MVP bags and filled them, sewed, and tagged. The best they can tell, there were a "few" bags that happened with.
Purina has called those affected (and me) and were appreciative to know about it, so they can police their quality control.
They are embarrassed by this mistake.
They've called the two people here who have been affected with a promise to replace the fish food. I suggested something stronger than that, like at least two bags, and get them pronto. They're trying to find a good local dealer, but will ship them from the plant, if need be.
You guys please post as you hear more. I'd like to see this resolved as soon as possible...if you don't hear by Monday, send me a pm.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
J
OP Offline
J
Bob,
The local Coop in Fayetteville, AR transferred two bags from their Mena store. I got one of them. The other bag is likely the same, and probably should be recalled. Most people probably would not even know that the product was wrong. The other guy on the forum got his two bags in Illinois, mine came from SW Arkansas. Due to the widely separated locations, could the problem be more widespread than Purina thinks?

This is what a commitment to endorse a product looks like. I have never seen any other spokesman for a product personally intervene like this, let alone get results.

It's not like LeBron James is gonna look into it if I buy a lemon pair of shoes, but Bob Lusk will back his brand with real action. It's just so refreshing to see it in this day & age. Well done, Bob.

John, now why did you have to bring my beloved SW Arkansas into this!?!? LOL. J/K. Hope you get your new feed soon. Seems like when it rains it pours...you've had a tough year seems like. Hope things get to looking up for you and your pond!

Bob, glad you are here and are so proactive on all of our behalves! Its nice to know you have good folks in high places in your corner.

J
OP Offline
J
Purina is going to ship me two bags of MVP directly, since it is a special order from my local Purina Dealer (they don't stock Purina fish foods). I will have to continue to special order it next year if I want to keep getting it.

I appreciate it that a manufacturer will step up and make things right. Thanks to Bob for the help!

But, like I said, most casual users won't know any difference, so won't complain. A guy at the local feed store last year suggested I feed pig food instead of sinking catfish pellets they didn't have because "it's probably good enough to work". People are so misinformed, even sellers.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Low cost, easily obtainable 32% will grow some pretty good fish...speed costs money, how fast do we want to go.

According to experienced people on here, BG won't gain a lot by eating 32% catfish pellets. They don't metabolize corn based foods like CC do. Higher protein, fish meal based foods are much better metabolized by BG. That's why I bought the AquaMax MVP. I have never caught a one pound BG. Those are very, very rare around this area. I would like to finally catch one.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
There are definitely some better feeds out there, but one pound bluegills are easily obtainable on 32%. Is it the best choice? No, but it will do the trick. I now have several one pound + BG in our catfish pond, where I feed 32%.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Purina is going to ship me two bags of MVP directly, since it is a special order from my local Purina Dealer (they don't stock Purina fish foods). I will have to continue to special order it next year if I want to keep getting it.

I appreciate it that a manufacturer will step up and make things right. Thanks to Bob for the help!

But, like I said, most casual users won't know any difference, so won't complain. A guy at the local feed store last year suggested I feed pig food instead of sinking catfish pellets they didn't have because "it's probably good enough to work". People are so misinformed, even sellers.

John, is it a case of them being unable to get it, or unwilling to order it? Just curious, as I've heard that any Purina Dealer can order any Purina product.

J
OP Offline
J
sprkplug,
For our local dealers, it's a special order. If it's not in stock at the distributor the week of the order, it gets cancelled, and has to be followed up on, and reordered every week until it comes into stock. They don't follow up very well unless you call them every week and ask and keep on their case. I don't like doing that. We'll see what happens next spring. I should have enough for this year when the actual MVP (replacement) comes in. It's $42 per 50 pound bag with tax. The Optimal is $62.50 for 50 pounds ($50 per 40 pound bag). Catfish pellets are $19.34 per 50 pound bag including tax.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Thanks John, I figured as much. I'm glad they're going to get the correct feed to you.

S
S
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald

John I think casual users would never order it in the first place. So if they were un-casual enough to order it (over what usually sits on local farm store shelves), I suspect they would notice it not being multiple sizes.

At any rate glad Purina is making it right.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
jgr Offline
J
After following this thread throughout I realize how lucky I am. I have a Purina dealer 20 miles away and he keeps on hand most of the AM feeds all the time. If he would run out he has more within a week. It is kept fresh and the right stuff is in the bags.They have a pond management meeting every spring which is attended by more then a hundred pond owners. I have been very happy with the results.

J
OP Offline
J
Yes, some stores do keep AquaMax feeds in stock. But, not in a 60-100 mile radius of here. There are lots of ponds around here, but the agriculture is primarily related to raising livestock on smaller places. Not many use their ponds for any meaningful fish production, but primarily for watering of stock. Many, if not most, that are stocked are bucket stocked. I guess that may drive the stocking of feeds.

B
B
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Dr. Mike Schlegel from Purina. We talked about the MVP mix up at the plant. He is located at a Purina plant near me....just outside of St. Louis.

I told him my fish ate the catfish pellets just fine. Also, the bag of AM MVP I picked up last week was opened on Wednesday and contained the right chow. That will carry me through the end of the season.

I have to say I am very pleased with Purina's customer service. I was on a fishing trip for a handful of days last week and had zero cell coverage. When I returned home yesterday I saw that Dr. Schlegel had tried to call me twice and left messages both times.

Dr. Schlegel is mailing a voucher to me for a bag of MVP to make up for the error. A quick response and a quick solution is what I call quality customer service. He also told me he would be manning the Purina booth at the upcoming PB conference. I am looking forward to introducing myself.

The bottom line is this was resolved quickly and the customer (me) is happy. Thanks to John and Bob for the extra help. BM61.

Last edited by bassmaster61; 09/18/17 03:26 PM.

J
OP Offline
J
The replacement food arrived today, and it appears to be the correct food. It's much darker than the bag I got a few weeks ago, has several different sizes, and smells richer in fish meal.

Many thanks to Dr Mike Schlegel and Mr Bob Lusk for getting this resolved in a timely manner! Also, thanks to Bassmaster61 for your helpful input!

V
V
Purina seems to be having more and more issues. Last year got one bag with small worms in it. This spring got two bags of AM Largemouth soaked through with oil. The rep claimed this was normal.

Last two bags of MVP have been in a generic white bag. Feed store writes Aquamax on it with a sharpie.

This week they No Shipped my feed store. I've been out of MVP for over a week. Friday delivery of 4 bags plus one Largemouth didn't happen.
No warning. Apparently the problems are across many feed lines, not just aquaculture products.

I understand they are owned by Land of Lakes. Maybe they don't know what side of the bread to butter?

Are y'all seeing similar problems in other parts of the country?

Is it time to abandon ship and go with Cargill or Optimal?

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
J
J
My Co-Op didn't receive their order last week and then when it did come in (MVP) it was also in a generic white bag like yours was. The tag was correct and the food was fine, just in a plain white bag for whatever reason.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023