Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#479288 08/31/17 08:57 AM
OP Offline
Well, we made it through all the bad weather here in SE Texas. I recorded 25 1/4" of rainfall since Saturday at 1:00 p.m. I thought at one point that the pond and nearby creek might mix, but I guess we dodged a bullet there. The siphon has been working overtime since last weekend as my BOW was already at full pool. I'm sure it will run for another 2-3 days as the pond is still quite a bit out of its banks and above the full pool mark. The water looks better than expected for run-off. As long as nothing plugs off below us down stream, we should be fine. A lot of water moved and continues to move through our place. We are most grateful coming through this storm basically unscathed. I have a house in Humble, TX (NE Houston) on the market to be sold. The sub-division is one of the few areas that did not experience flooding. I thank the Good Lord for watching over me. I hope everyone fared well. Hopefully, with this event behind us, we can all get back to doing what we need to do. I hope all are well.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
B
B
Glad to hear everything went ok your way. I'm guessing your house will sell VERY quickly now. Demand for housing that didn't flood will be crazy for a while.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
F
F
Good point Brian. Glad you did good Charlie. We ended up with 22 inches of rain since Saturday afternoon. Pond definently went over spillway. I checked this morning around 8am and glad I did. I salvaged over 200 cnbg that had "left the pond" and were in puddles on the other side of spillway. Amazing to me was about 50 of them were from 5-7 inch ones!! Most were 1-2 inch. No res and no lmb, just cnbg. Spillway is still running but a WHOLE lot slower. Don't think any more will go over now. I must say, they all looked very healthy. And no I did not have any type of screen in place. Lots of grass and brush slowed them down. Hope everyone stayed safe.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: BrianL
Glad to hear everything went ok your way. I'm guessing your house will sell VERY quickly now. Demand for housing that didn't flood will be crazy for a while.

Brian,
That was my thinking exactly. I've had a couple of extremely low ball bids from leasing companies wanting to buy it, that are just insulting. I'm wanting to get away from the liability of owning it, but it's been paid off for a long time and I'm not interested in giving it away. I don't have to. We shall see.
James,
Wow, that's crazy...you could stock a pond with all the forage you recovered. I hope things settle down for us all. Was talking to my boss this morning and he mentioned Hurricane Irma possibly entering the Caribbean. That's scary...would be a definite nail in the coffin for the Houston area should that happen.
Charlie

B
B
Originally Posted By: stickem'
Originally Posted By: BrianL

Brian,
That was my thinking exactly. I've had a couple of extremely low ball bids from leasing companies wanting to buy it, that are just insulting. I'm wanting to get away from the liability of owning it, but it's been paid off for a long time and I'm not interested in giving it away. I don't have to. We shall see.
James,
Wow, that's crazy...you could stock a pond with all the forage you recovered. I hope things settle down for us all. Was talking to my boss this morning and he mentioned Hurricane Irma possibly entering the Caribbean. That's scary...would be a definite nail in the coffin for the Houston area should that happen.
Charlie

I would pull it off the market for a month or two and see what happens. THere could be a big spike in prices for existing non damages homes.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
F
F
Maybe take lots of pictures to prove to buyers there was no water damage. If you have it listed with a realtor don't be afraid to tell them if you want to go up on the asking price. It is your house and you have that right no matter what the contract states. Everything is negotiable. Good luck with your sale!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
OP Offline
I spoke with my realtor this morning. She went by the place and the house is perfect except for a downed limb off of a tree in the backyard. We spoke about our next step. She thinks people will be cleaning up their messes the next few weeks and the reality of their losses will settle in. She is planning an open house in 2-3 weeks and we'll see what happens there.

Other than that, I guess with all of the influx of rainwater (runoff) that I'll start monitoring the water specs for pH, Hardness....etc. My dock feeder had gone completely empty this past week between all the weather and my recent surgery. I put in ~35# of Triton Cargill pellets in the 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" sizes. The fish were voracious. I love to watch them when they feed hard.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward