Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,930
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Sunil, Groundhog7, JPierson, Bobbss), 865 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
The Hurricane Harvey Pooh hit the fan in Dallas today...

Gas station panic!

Reminds me of the Jimmy Carter days.

Some Dallas gas stations have 75 cars backed up....
not an exaggeration!

Dallas Police are being positioned at some gas stations
as A-Holes attempt to cut in lines.

Many gas stations have no gas.

Auto parts stores selling out of gas cans.

This is serious right now in Dallas.....
may soon spread to varying degrees to other parts of the country.

Largest US Rifinery Shut Down!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, prices are going up when u can find any gas. Bunch of refineries had to shut down.

How about you guys in other parts of the country?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
This is a tweet from a local NBC Weather Lady so it may very well be credible.

Look at these prices in Garland, Texas! (Dallas suburb)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You've or Samantha has to be kidding.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
It's a hoax. Gas buddy shows Dallas prices around $2.25 to 2.40.

P
P
2.25-2.40 per gal around here

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
samantha is preggers....maybe she is having a melt-down

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
I did see $2.85 for premium in Dallas this morning

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Posts like this become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more word spreads, the more panic sets in whether warranted or not, which only leads to more people rushing to buy gas, which leads to high prices, shortages, police presences, etc. Its a vicious cycle that feeds inward upon itself and "creates" the problem where there was most likely none before.

And it happens over and over. The downside of a society so interconnected instantly with one another.

edit....and there you go.. (Zep's last post)

Last edited by sprkplug; 08/31/17 05:02 PM. Reason: saw Zep's post

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

J
J
I wish the govt had the power to shut down all social media during a crisis situation so these horrible pranksters could not start rumors that panic the public.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
on my way home the last 30 mins I saw 3 stations with lines of about 30 and 75 cars snaked down the road from the pumps. it's already become common knowledge....DO NOT COME UP TO AN INTERSECTION IN THE RIGHT LANE....all those cars are waiting to turn into a gas station

New term coined GASPOCALYPSE!

J
J
Most of them probably already have over a half tank. We don't drive much anymore, so we top off the tank when it gets less than half full to avoid condensation. Maybe once every three to four weeks. If it was me, I would just stay home a few more days.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Most of them probably already have over a half tank. I would just stay home a few more days.

That's what I am doing John. Well I am not staying home, but I'm not sitting in 1-2 hour gas station lines and I'm not driving as much...it's a gamble if it gets worse...but I think in several days hopefully it will improve.

J
J
Being retired, sometimes we stay home several days in a row anyway. Most folks have to get to work, though. I think retirement is almost a luxury.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's why I burn diesel. grin

$2.65/gal here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wish the govt had the power to shut down all social media during a crisis situation so these horrible pranksters could not start rumors that panic the public.

I agree.

I just don't have a good answer for that. I do wish that those who push the horrid and unhelpful fake news, and the highly incendiary panic news, would back off their postings on multiple sites. It only causes more panic and more divisive hatred.

I've been involved with disaster volunteer assistance for many years.

There is a very efficient chain-of-command for emergencies like these. It must be followed so that the system doesn't slow down.

If you plan to help, you need to work through the many assisting groups who all work upward in this chain of command. DON'T JUST SHOW UP TO TRY AND PROVIDE ASSISTANCE. Find your lowest group to work through. Get registered. It doesn't take long via the Internet. You can lists your qualifications, expertise, equipment, etc. These groups will provide guidance to get you assigned once you get "cleared" to provide assistance when and where needed. Many religious affiliates and many community service organizations have the levels of contact necessary to be highly effective.

It is important to be cleared, approved, and dispatched by locally approved groups for many reasons. One of the biggest is to prevent fraud by people trying to take advantage of the most disadvantaged at the time.

The other issue is what good-willed people think might be needed, yet it is often not needed. Bringing them unexpectedly to a help center slows the system down and causes more problems for the many coordinating volunteers, including storage. Cleaning out and donating the contents of your basements and sheds really clogs the system. The centers might have just gotten a tractor trailer load of diapers and bleach -- but they might need something totally different, and that load would have been much better served at a different locality.

Follow the instructions and requests of the coordinators to determine what is really needed. Clothes and building materials are not what are usually need first -- that comes later. Bleach is usually in good supply, but boots, gloves, masks, squeegees, mops, buckets, etc., are not. Water may not be available -- and 8-16 oz., bottles are not what they often need. They need multiple containers to carry at least five gallons of water at a time. But, again, don't do this without a request from the disaster coordinators. They need "gift cards" to grocery stores and big box stores. Again, these should be donated through the chain of command to make sure they go to authorized groups for distribution, and who keep track of who receives them to cut down on fraud.

The photos below are from last summer when south/central West Virginia floods killed numerous people. When a friend and I got to the small town of White Sulphur Springs, WV, they were still searching for eight of the 23 missing flood victims. Through coordination of a religious affiliated disaster relief group about 100 miles northwest of us, we arrived when and where expected about 24 hours after the flood waters had receded. We got delayed as did others with requested supplies. The distribution center was being clogged and slowed by well-meaning people bringing items to the distribution center that were not needed or wanted.

Getting off the Interstate less than 24 hours after about 15 of 23 bodies were recovered:

What was seen 30 feet below the top flood level at the first stop sign into White Sulfur Springs, WV off Interstate I-64

Still searching for victims:

I urge the many to get off their pompous hateful and political asses and start helping instead of criticizing.

I'm not looking for any credit. But, this was my first load of meds, diapers, infant formula, bug spray, sunscreen, pet food, mops and squeegees, tooth brushes and tooth paste, sanitary products, can openers for edible canned foods, and so many more things the rescue centers were calling me about nearly every 30 minutes before we headed 150 miles down the road with the first of many loads.

Additional friends and neighbors staged a number of 53 foot semi-trailers that were filled over a couple of days with desperately needed (and requested) supplies in the many flooded areas. They provided flatbed semi-trailers to haul building materials. All of this was done voluntarily, without pay for the many volunteers (like the truck drivers), and by the small companies that provided the road tractors and various semi-trailers at no cost.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We're just donating $.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Gasoline up about 20 cents in NOLA area

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
I just got back from filling up all my gas cans for the month, and there was only one other vehicle at that 10 pump station. Most of my Hooterville peeps seem to be a bit more pragmatic about this gas thing than my in-town neighbors are. 30 Miles east of Dallas County, gas supply is normal, and is only up about 20 cents a gallon.

AL

D
D
Well here in London Ontario Canada gas has gone up to $1.20 per liter. Thats $4.68 a gallon in Canadian dollars. The big problem is going to be the New York area because the pipeline is off. Give it 20 days.

My plywood has gone up from $12.50 for 3/8 D-grade to $33 as sheet.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, also known as the Jones Act, is a United States federal statute that provides for the promotion and maintenance of the American merchant marine.

Among other purposes, the law regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. Section 27 of the Jones Act deals with cabotage and requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.

How many US tankers fit this criteria to move fuels? Pipe lines are very important to the US.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 09/01/17 11:57 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I do wish that those who push the horrid and unhelpful fake news, and the highly incendiary panic news, would back off their postings on multiple sites.

Look at this one catmandoo....

http://www.khou.com/weather/hurricane-ce...-path/470012360

L
L
Ah crud. You guys in TX are starting to approach what our gas costs in NYS every day. Welcome to the gouge.

Cat, God bless for having the time, and giving the energy for those in need. My plan when I retire and the kiddo is moved out or willing to help is to volunteer like you are doing, God willing.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I wonder how many folks shared this whole gas shortage thing on every social media site they frequent, as soon as they read it themselves? Maybe this thread right here on PB contributed to the nonsense...never know who's reading.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I do wish that those who push the horrid and unhelpful fake news, and the highly incendiary panic news, would back off their postings on multiple sites.

Look at this one catmandoo....

http://www.khou.com/weather/hurricane-ce...-path/470012360

Yes. I was just watching the evening news and they had a story about that.

And like others, we are making a hurricane Harvey donation. I just can't begin to imagine the level of destruction and misery.

The area hit so hard in WV last year, lost so many homes and jobs, that the area lost many families who had nothing to return to. My guess is that will happen in SE Texas.

T
T
Spent all week at the farm....no fuel shortages there.

Got back to town and went to Valero nearby and there was no waiting line. They only had diesel and no gas......oh and no supper either. wink grin

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Tbar....when i just left work it appears to be mostly over.

Gas stations are not empty, but certainly no more long lines at the ones I passed by.

This week has been a bit of an eye-opener and reminder how fragile the reality we become accustomed to really is.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
And how much our very actions help create that reality.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
And how much our very actions help create that reality.

Sparky...i'll admit true intent is hard to guage on the internet, but it is now twice...one punch! I ignored that...followed by another punch...that you appear to be "blaming me" for being a part of the cause of a panic here in Dallas by posting in Pond Boss what I see with my own eyes on the streets of Dallas and also see on the national news....logically that borders on insanity...but think whatever you want because I frankly don't give a damn what you think about me.

T
T
Tbar....when i just left work it appears to be mostly over.

Gas stations are not empty, but certainly no more long lines at the ones I passed by.

This week has been a bit of an eye-opener and reminder how fragile the reality we become accustomed to really is.

I reminded the wife tonight just how fragile our "just in time delivery" society is now....particularly in commodities like food & fuel. Most Americans only have ~ 3 days of meals on hand.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Not you Zep, its just the times we live in. It only makes me wonder what happened first, the news stories or the propaganda. Most never stop to think just how freaking quick social media moves, and the tremendous negative impact it can have on our society. It's fascinating. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm singling you out, that was not my intent. It's widespread as Cat mentioned, and most never see it.

J
J
Not anyone on here by any means, but if someone posts something on the internet for the purpose of causing a public panic, that act should fit some definition of terrorism.

A
A
Many Texans have written to Amazon in praise of this product: WaterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage (100 Gallons).

Apparently it is a liner for bathtub that you fill with water. Keeps it good up to 12 weeks, unlike just a day or two in the unlined bathtub.

Nice to have 100 gallons of clean drinking & washing water if water shuts down or gets contaminated. Cost is very cheap compared to buying scarce bottled water at stores after the disaster.

Considering that Irma is fired up and another system may be developing in the southwest Gulf, this is cheap insurance.

Last edited by anthropic; 09/01/17 11:21 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Not anyone on here by any means, but if someone posts something on the internet for the purpose of causing a public panic, that act should fit some definition of terrorism.

I predict there will be a time when something like this will come to pass. Maybe even be an involuntary clause to distinguish between willful and unintentional damages caused by furthering panic. It's sad, because on one hand we should be able to read and then research for ourselves whether or not such internet or media claims have merit, but we don't. Instead we somehow have begun believing, and even worse, passing along everything that shows up on "our" page.

Zep, please note I'm not singling you out here, it's just that this thread is a perfect example of what I'm trying to say.
In the space of 24 hours it's gone from what was portrayed as going to be bad, to being mostly all over. Right there shows that there was very little actual substance to a gas shortage, it was mostly created by panic driven posters, not implying you were one, who propagated whatever came their way. In effect, the news covered what the "news" created.

Had there been no "news", there would've been no, or at worse very limited, shortages.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tony, I didn't see the panic driven posters this time. There was nothing on the news that would create panic buying. It just started overnight. Probably from people who wanted to avoid paying the inevitable 20 to 30 cents more per gallon when they hear the news that 5 to 10% of refineries are having to shut down. Once again, the price has increased without a shortage. Credit opportunism for this one. As of today there is plenty of gas with a higher price. Like they said in the movie The Godfather when they whacked somebody "It's just business.".

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I understand Dave. Do you reckon that there would've been any rush to buy gas had the news not broadcast the information that 5-10% of the refineries had shut down? And once that started, it just snowballed? Word must've traveled somehow?

I'm not trying to argue Dave, I've just decided that as a society, we no longer run anything out to its conclusion. If we would just keep digging back, we would probably find that someone, somewhere, is to blame. But we don't hold anyone accountable anymore. It's easier to sweep it under the rug, dismiss the inquiry, delete the post, lock down the thread. Just not politically correct to pin blame and reach a conclusion. That would mean that someone was wrong somewhere, and we can't have that.

End of rant, sorry for the disruption. Hoping to fish this weekend, I wish yourself and the other members a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Many Texans have written to Amazon in praise of this product: WaterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage (100 Gallons).
Nice to have 100 gallons of clean drinking & washing water if water shuts down or gets contaminated. Considering that Irma is fired up and another system may be developing in the southwest Gulf, this is cheap insurance.

Thanks anthropic.

I hope your suggestion won't be taken as "panic driven"...lol....but I will check it out.

My water approach has been the "Life Straw".

Life Straw

Life Straw Bottle

I have the pond at the property and a pool in the city and assume those water sources combined with "Life Straws" would be enough, but like you say the WaterBOB is "cheap insurance" and cleaner water. I do keep about 10 cases of bottled water also that I rotate in/out on a regular basis. I wonder what the shelf life is of a typical case of bottled water?

T
T
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Nice to have 100 gallons of clean drinking & washing water if water shuts down or gets contaminated. Considering that Irma is fired up and another system may be developing in the southwest Gulf, this is cheap insurance.

Thanks anthropic.

I hope your suggestion won't be taken as "panic driven"...lol....but I will check it out.

My water approach has been the "Life Straw".

Life Straw

Life Straw Bottle

I have the pond at the property and a pool in the city and assume those water sources combined with "Life Straws" would be enough, but like you say the WaterBOB is "cheap insurance" and cleaner water. I do keep about 10 cases of bottled water also that I rotate in/out on a regular basis. I wonder what the shelf life is of a typical case of bottled water?

I have ~ a million gallons in the front pond and one of these. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGiU08vjoew

J
J

I predict there will be a time when something like this will come to pass. Maybe even be an involuntary clause to distinguish between willful and unintentional damages caused by furthering panic. It's sad, because on one hand we should be able to read and then research for ourselves whether or not such internet or media claims have merit, but we don't. Instead we somehow have begun believing, and even worse, passing along everything that shows up on "our" page.

Zep, please note I'm not singling you out here, it's just that this thread is a perfect example of what I'm trying to say.
In the space of 24 hours it's gone from what was portrayed as going to be bad, to being mostly all over. Right there shows that there was very little actual substance to a gas shortage, it was mostly created by panic driven posters, not implying you were one, who propagated whatever came their way. In effect, the news covered what the "news" created.

Had there been no "news", there would've been no, or at worse very limited, shortages.

I agree. It is in the public interest for news that might cause mass panic to be suppressed in certain situations. That's the way it was in the early parts of WW2, and that control helped the USA get through it. If you don't have any control over the situation, IMO you don't have a need to know.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Tbar
I have ~ a million gallons in the front pond and one of these. grin

Nice Tbar...I actually bought my first Berkey Bottle a few months ago....but this "Big Berkey" with 4 filters looks like a great option.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think a well with an old fashioned hand pump would be hard to beat. Not visible to prying eyes, no electricity needed, maybe stay clean (pure?) A little longer than a surface pond?

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
If you don't have any control over the situation, IMO you don't have a need to know.

We can respectfully, but strongly "agree to disagree" on this.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
To do this you have to pass martial law (war) or change the U S Constitution. I don't think the public will go for those. It is more likely that people will become more and more cynical of the press/internet/etc. No person in there right mind should trust anyone/gov/media/etc. with the power to control what we read/hear/say.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
I think a well with an old fashioned hand pump would be hard to beat. Not visible to prying eyes, no electricity needed, maybe stay clean (pure?) A little longer than a surface pond?

True...but i can't put a well at my house...HOA would go bonkers. And unfortutately at the property...not good. I have consulted with two well companies and both said i am in a relatively narrow strip where they seldom have any luck with wells. They said they could try but it could get pricey and may not be successful. So pond, creek, and stored water will have to suffice.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S

True...but i can't put a well at my house...HOA would go bonkers. And unfortutately at the property...not good. I have consulted with two well companies and both said i am in a relatively narrow strip where they seldom have any luck with wells. They said they could try but it could get pricey and may not be successful. So pond, creek, and stored water will have to suffice.

In that case I agree. We must do the best with what we have.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: ewest
To do this you have to pass martial law (war) or change the U S Constitution. I don't think the public will go for those. It is more likely that people will become more and more cynical of the press/internet/etc. No person in there right mind should trust anyone/gov/media/etc. with the power to control what we read/hear/say.

And favorite quote of mine from the first "Men In Black" movie, where Will Smith's character is faced with the realization that we are not alone in the universe. Tommy Lee Jones's character justifies the reasoning thusly:

Smith: "so why all the secrecy? People are smart they can handle it"

Jones: a person is smart, people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it"

For me that just about sums it up. I don't want the govt controlling the media, I want people to understand that there are very good reasons for secrecy. Do we really need to know everything, every moment of everyday? And why do we feel, as a species not an individual, that we need to share and pass along everything that comes to us without considering if it's appropriate or not?

A person is smart. People are an explosive looking for an incendiary. Social media and the internet, for all it benefits us, is also a fine source of ignition. Maybe the first thing we see when we log on is a warning...."Danger, please use responsibly"

Then we wouldn't have to ask whether or not the govt. Should step in to protect us from ourselves.

Just to be clear, I'm not aiming at anyone here. As I stated earlier, this thread simply gives me cause to ponder.

Last edited by sprkplug; 09/02/17 11:53 AM. Reason: Disclaimer

J
J
If you don't have any control over the situation, IMO you don't have a need to know.

We can respectfully, but strongly "agree to disagree" on this.

I can accept that just fine, Zep. No offense to anyone intended. There are some things I don't even care to know, when there's nothing I can do about the situation. Just the way I live my life. Sometimes information is too much information for me personally.

We can still have a good time discussing our ponds.

G
G
A neighbor who is retired stopped by the house a couple of days ago on his way home from filling multiple gas cans. He informed me of a new widespread Leftist women's movement which is attempting to do away with Father's Day. I'm assuming he probably learned of this 'War On Father's Day' from his FakeBook page, because he doesn't have cable TV...... lol

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It is unfortunate these days that many just want to attack others and tear down others rather than focus on the hard work of building something positive for their lives.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Agree.^^^^

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
I can accept that just fine, Zep. No offense to anyone intended. There are some things I don't even care to know, when there's nothing I can do about the situation. Just the way I live my life. Sometimes information is too much information for me personally. we can still have a good time discussing our ponds.

Absolutely John. That's probably why so many of us enjoy our ponds just to get away from it all. I am not one "glued to my phone" like so many people these days....I like to turn off everything too. Just as long as it's people like you, me, and Joe next door who are mainly deciding what we see I am totally on board, I just don't want some "Gvt Nanny" deciding that someone can't post on Facebook there are long lines at gas stations.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm with you guys, I don't want that either. What I would like, and what I'm hoping is still possible, is for all of us to recognize that there is a time and a place. I'm referring to our society, not an individual or group when I say that. When I was a kid, my cousins and I would spend a lot of summer days at our grandparents place. As one might imagine, there was virtually no end to what might be dreamed up by way of entertainment by an energetic group of ten year olds, and a big group at that.

On more than one occasion I can remember Grandma walking out on the porch and admonishing us thusly: "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should!" That quality of self-governance is what I'm talking about in this thread, and actually in many of my posts as of late. None of us, myself included, want more outside interference in our lives or our ponds. But to keep unwanted interference out, do we not need to understand the possible ramifications of our own actions?

If I'm pouring a chemical into my pond, I should be aware of where that stuff is heading when it flows out my overflow. My actions may impact someone downstream. Doesn't mean I cant do it, just means that I need to give it some thought first. If we all start dumping whatever into our ponds without considering any possible consequences, then you better believe that big brother will eventually step into the picture..this is the scenario I envision when I see a social media driven panic that disrupts our lives in such an extraordinary manner.

Back to my childhood again. Remember when we were kids, and desperate to have our parents leave us at home by ourselves when they went somewhere that we didn't want to go? I don't know about you guys, but I remember the speech about "show us you can be trusted, and we'll start trusting you to be left alone". It was about me showing them I could act responsibly. That's what I think is diminishing in our society today, the awareness that taking personal responsibility includes nearly all aspects of our lives, even things we take for granted.

Zep, I'm not singling you out, I promise. I see where it looks that way, but I don't know how to illustrate my point without using your thread. Once again I'm sorry if it comes across as a personal attack, as that is most certainly not my intent.

Anyway, ran across this which touches on what I'm trying to say.

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaustin/h...-gasoline-texas

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Plenty of gasoline but prices have risen over $.50 per gallon

P
P
Plenty of price but no fuel! This is crazy

D
D
Well Harvey has made it to Ontario Canada last night. Just light rain but made it here.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Yes Dave...kind of crazy, and actually I think I may have declared it was "over" too soon. The super chaos is mostly over from my personal observations, but I saw a few stations this morning still with lines and many stations "roped off" with yellow tape with either no gas or only 4 pumps out 12 pumps working. I'm not sure if the "less chaos" is because of more fuel available, the weekend and everyone mostly staying home, or other factors. I certainly hope the long line chaos does not creep back when everyone has to go back to work after the holiday. Being in the transportation business last week was scary.

T
T
I hate it when "Big Oil" is piled on for gas price increases incurred during disasters.

Gasoline is a commodity traded on the stock exchange just like oil. When 20% of the US refining went off line as well as some pipelines that created market conditions that caused some of the price increase.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/gas.aspx?timeframe=1m

Most gas stations are independently owned/franchises. It is my opinion that they are responsible for much of the increase you are seeing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Well Harvey has made it to Ontario Canada last night. Just light rain but made it here.

Same here in West Virginia. It resulted in a beautiful day today once the clouds were cleared out by a cold front that came in.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Our prices have gone up somewhat. I just filled up about an hour ago. $2.449. Not too bad -- about $0.25/gallon increase since a week ago. We had some concerns, but we shouldn't get hit too hard here. Most of our fuel comes via Colonial Pipeline from Louisiana and SE Florida. On Friday they were saying that our regional tank farms had enough to get us through tomorrow (Monday). Louisiana didn't have to shut their input to the pipeline. They are saying that the Galveston/Houston area will be back in operation in the next couple of days.

Originally Posted By: Tbar
I hate it when "Big Oil" is piled on for gas price increases incurred during disasters.

We really haven't heard much of that kind of stuff around here. I've only overheard it by the serious and uneducated rednecks in Walmart lines and at the gas stations.

Mostly what I've heard in person and on local media has been what people are doing here and across the nation to help. I talked to a few friends this afternoon and all of them said that their churches had taken up special collections and were planning fund raisers. One of my friends in South Carolina, who I've worked closely with through Habitat for Humanity, Re-Store, and other groups in many other volunteer activities, wanted to know if I was ready to load up my "tool shed trailer".

In the last 40 years I've heard and confronted the many naysayers and negative people who complain using their inexperienced disaster personal response "experience" by jamming their strong opinions on anyone within earshot, saying that nothing is being done correctly by anyone. It is always "they" should have done it differently.

When on-site, I've also dealt with the "grifters". They show up like dung beetles and maggots at disasters.

Fortunately, we have already seen the many volunteers like the "Cajun Navy", and so many more. They are asking for nothing more than directing them into the areas where help is needed.

There are already one heck of a lot of people from all over the US, Mexico, and Canada who are volunteering, and who ask for nothing more than directions on what needs to be done. Many of the coordinators are volunteers who take a lot of hammering. Most volunteers bring nearly everything with them. They call back home to work with coordinators in their area who arrange for donations like plywood, drywall, medications, gift cards to big box stores, and so much more.

Get involved. Get registered in Texas and Louisiana. Donate what you can -- just don't donate your negative help, hate, and comments.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Way to go Sheriff Troy Nehls – Fort Bend County, Texas.

Absolutely no tolerance for looters taking advantage of the victims of Hurricane Harvey.

Sheriff Troy Nehls–Fort Bend County, Texas is warning would-be looters to rethink entering his county. The sheriff says his residents are armed and would-be looters might end up getting hauled to the morgue in a body bag.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/09/03/texas-sheriff-looters-try-leave-county-bag/

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Muy fuerte'.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 09:39 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:59 PM
Need help