Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (AlexJ, BCR Pond, Rick O, Pat Williamson, Bruno616), 727 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#478560 08/18/17 08:30 AM
OP Offline
So here's one for ya....I was swimming in our small pond with the kids Tuesday afternoon....beautiful day and the water clarity was absolutely amazing. Just a great day.

My daughter and I are floating on a couple of noodles just hanging out when several small (2-3 inches) fish start swimming around us, investigating things. It's obvious some of them are LMB but there are others with a similar shape that don't seem to be. I start working on catching one with my hands. I catch a couple of the LMB and then I clearly catch a small WE!

I drained, killed off and restocked this pond a couple of years ago with the goal of a YP/RES fishery with WE and SMB as my predators. It did not go as planned as at least one LMB survived long enough to spawn. BUT - it certainly appears that the WE figured out a way to spawn. There's no way the 2.5 inch fish I hand caught could be 2+ years old.

I don't know a ton about WE spawning requirements, I just knew (or sure thought I did) that they couldn't spawn in a pond. How is this possible?

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Do you have any silt-free rocky areas near shore?

OP Offline
I do indeed...the entire East end is rock lined, with several spawning areas I built for SMB.

Did I accidentally build an acceptable WE spawning bed?

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
W
W
Isn't it nice when things unexpectedly go your way! Congrats!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
I do indeed...the entire East end is rock lined, with several spawning areas I built for SMB.

Did I accidentally build an acceptable WE spawning bed?

Quite possibly!!

I've heard of HSB spawning in one pond.

So never say never.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have seen walleye egg development and hatching in several ponds where there is extensive rocky shoreline areas and there is good clear, water quality to keep eggs and the developing larvae well oxygenated as they develop toward hatching. Some current or wave action helps keep eggs oxygenated and particulate settlings from accumulating on the eggs. Turbid water especially with suspended clay-silt acts to smother walleye eggs that need high oxygenated conditions.

dLawrence - for reference what is the usual water clarity in early spring of March when walleye would be spawning in your pond?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/18/17 08:59 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
Is the source of the Walleye stock known? Up north, if am correct, has two forms. One is associated with lakes and the other is associated with streams / rivers. In Missouri we have a Black River population that is difficult to rear in ponds compared to stocks that I think come from out of state.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I have seen of walleye spawning in several ponds where there is extensive rocky shoreline areas and there is good clear, water quality to keep eggs and the developing larvae well oxygenated as they develop toward hatching. Some current or wave action helps keep eggs oxygenated and settlings from accumulating on the eggs. Turbid water especially with suspended clay-silt acts to smother walleye eggs that need high oxygenated conditions.

dLawrence - for reference what is the usual water clarity in early spring of March when walleye would be spawning in your pond?

Bill,

This year it was and remains outstanding. 6 foot visibility plus. Tuesday I'd say it was closer to 8. And it's been like that most of the year.

Dale

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
Is the source of the Walleye stock known? Up north, if am correct, has two forms. One is associated with lakes and the other is associated with streams / rivers. In Missouri we have a Black River population that is difficult to rear in ponds compared to stocks that I think come from out of state.

Not sure Jim....I didn't ask the guy that brought them what stock they came from.

Dale

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
DL that's great....been here for 9 years and this is a first IIRC - verified pond WE recruitment. Super cool!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
DL that's great....been here for 9 years and this is a first IIRC - verified pond WE recruitment. Super cool!

It's freaking awesome for sure - no pic unfortunately as I was in the middle of the pond floating on a noodle but 100% it was a little WE.

I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally!

Dale

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Your clear pondwater of 6ft -8ft with reduced turbidity and rocky habitat are two of the key items that allowed the eggs to fully develop to hatching. Optimum rock spacing and crevice sizes are also important for egg protection and to reduce predation of the developing eggs and early yolk fry. Lots of critters like to eat scattered and unprotected fish eggs.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/18/17 08:57 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Do you have any pictures of the rocky habitat? I am hoping to get to a walleye pond sometime and pictures would help me select the rock size to place in spawning areas, hopefully in the inflow area (ditch catching field tiles) which runs pretty good and clear some years during early spring.

It might be sharp to keep some of the young for use as brood to stock another similar pond. There may be some genetic basis for the successful recruitment.

Some walleye spawn on submergent vegetation.

Reproductive success may also be a function of how larval, fry and fingerling stages fair under pressure from larger fish. That can be influenced by genetics. Some fish vary more within a species than what the publications indicate. To my understanding, nobody has really gave such much of a look.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond