Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
I would like to hear some input on how to layout these diffusers for Winter. All diffusers close together to open one hole as big as possible or spread out to open a few smaller holes?

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/22/17 07:21 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
How many fusers do you have? First thing I think of is your size of pond and how cold it gets their. If I were doing it I would put 2 fusers together and divide it out in 1/3 lengths and have 3 stations to cover more area. Or if your only using 1 fuser but do the same thing.

If you can afford it... I would put in as many as you can handle. lol in about that 3 to 4 foot depth. Keep that baby opened up!!!! If you can do that then your on your way I think!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
W
OP Offline
W
I am planning on running a little 1/3HP motor with a Gast 0740 this winter. Should be making ~5.5 CFM at 2 PSI. Sooo, I could do 3 spots with dual vertex stations or maybe 5 single stations?

That leads me to an additional question. 3 duals or 5 singles and spread out or together.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/22/17 07:22 AM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
IMO your pond is large I would do at least 3 spots. Cause your probably only going to open an area about 20 ish feet in diameter maybe give or take. I'm not sure I don't do winter air so not sure on how big a hole you cam make.

I would think if you can power 3 duals effectively I would do 3 duals if I remember right your pond is long so I would do my best to put one in center and then go left and right as much as I can with the other 2 setups. I would think that would leave you nice 3 spots for them fusers to do their job.

The other thing that scares me about your situation is possible line freeze stuff like that. So having 3 spots would be good in case one ends up not working right. I hope it works for you that pond is awesome and your land their is very cool!!!!

RC

P.S. I am no expert when it comes to winter air though so lets see what others have to say.... I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Last edited by RC51; 08/17/17 11:47 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks RC!

I am not too concerned about the lines freezing up. Maybe it'll be a problem, but I don't think so. I've got the main air line buried 18"-24" deep and the manifold box is buried right up to the rim of the lid. Believe it or not, the old water line for the cabin was only buried 4"-6" deep and never froze! We get fairly deep snow up there before the really cold temps come on. The snow insulates the ground and keeps the frost line from going all that deep.

I am going to see what the consensus is here and then order the diffusers.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh that's good then!! Very nice! Yep your on your way man.

RC

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
5.5cfm will supply 11 diffusers at minimum flow

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since the minimum is just that, and there is no margin for error at that level, I'd go with single diffuser disks, and a maximum of 10. 2 psi is 4' water depth. Now, what the people aren't thinking about is how much air line this will take........ Each diffuser disk/airstation has to be at exactly the same depth as others on the same line, or you have to run line from a ball valve to each diffuser disk/airstation.

Case in point. I have 5 2"x12" air stones in Intex swimming pools to hold fish. They are powered by a regenerative blower. Low psi, high volume. If one air stone is 4" deeper than any of the others, the air coming from it is almost nonexistent. I have one air line going to each swimming pool, then around the top edge. The air stones are "T'd" off of that airline.

If it was mine, I would put 4 single disks in one area, making sure that they were the exact same depth, and placed 30 to 40 feet equidistant from each other. That way, if each one opens a hole 30 to 40 foot in diameter, then all the holes will be touching and it will be one big hole. If you think the ones last year only opened up a 20' diameter hole, then place them 20' from each other. I'm not used to running winter diffusers at minimum or close to minimum flow, so I don't know what size hole they will keep open. The wave action from the boil hitting the surface will help keep the ice at bay too. So, maybe 2 sets of 3 diffuser disks each to get more wave action?

Move down a ways (as far as you dare) and do it again.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Esshup. I do have the manifold in place and it actually has 10 ball valves coming off of it. Some of those will be used up for the deep water stations but I still have 5 or 6 available valves.

I will also have the windmill diffusers to work into the mix.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My thinking is to space them far enough apart to make a larger hole to avoid a snow bridge keeping it closed to the sun.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
My thinking is to space them far enough apart to make a larger hole to avoid a snow bridge keeping it closed to the sun.

+1 on that...

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: esshup

I cannot do a setup like that and have the hole in the middle of the lake without it being in at least 8' or so of water. To do a setup like that and have it in 4' of water it would have to be on one end or the other and pretty close to shore. Would it not be a problem to have a massive hole open on one end of the lake and nothing open on the other?

OR have a group of 3 on one end and another group of three on the other end and nothing in the middle.

I am concerned about having a big dead spot - no pun intended!

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/18/17 02:15 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll send you an e-mail with pictures tonight to show you hot to do it where you want to do it. wink grin

You want the winter diffusers 1/3-1/4 the total pond depth to leave a warm water refuge for the fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

W
OP Offline
W
10-4! Thank you!

1/3 to 1/4 of total depth would put me at 5-7' so may not be able to run as many.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think with trout you do not need a warm water refuge. Highly oxygenated water throughout the entire water column during winter ice & snow cover is much more important for trout than keeping water near 39F. Trout survive just fine in streams that form anchor ice during winter. This water ranges from 33F to 32F or less. That is one of the reasons why they call them cold water fish.

From my tests of water temperature during winter aeration under ice and snow cover, mixing of the water column extends a whole lot further than the immediate area surrounding the open hole. Apparently the movement of cold water has a lot less resistance to mixing than the warm water of summer. I don't know how to measure how much less resistance to mixing, but the under ice water movement from a diffuser is impressive. It must be related to the physical properties and density of water as it changes temperature. If you operate one diffuser (1cfm) for 4-6 hrs per day near the bottom at 12-16ft deep, I predict this one diffuser will mix and circulate oxygenated water to 0.7ac to one acre or more of water. Thus 4 single diffusers equidistant in 1/2 of the 8 ac will mix 1/2 of the 'lake' even though each open hole is only 20-50ft dia. If you don't have water deeper than 10 ft then place diffusers along at least 1/2 the length of the belly of the 8 acres. This should provide enough oxygenated refuge to allow trout to survive the winter.

Are you able to go up there during mid winter and make some temperature and DO measurements?

Advanced Reading: Not all ice forms on the water surface. In streams, the turbulent flow can allow the water column to supercool to temperatures below the freezing point (0C-32F), allowing ice to grow in the water column. The first ice to appear is frazil (small disks or spicules of ice suspended in the water column). When turbulence transports frazil to the river bed, the frazil may stick to the bed, forming anchor ice.
Frazil and anchor ice are most likely to form on a cold, clear night when the wind is strong, the humidity of the air is low, and the river is at minimum flow, especially if such a night follows a cold, windy, cloudy day.

Commonly recognized types of stream ice include frazil ice, anchor ice, surface ice, and snow or slush ice. These are distinguishable by their characteristics and origins, and it is common to find all four types present in some combination along any mountain stream. Formation processes of these ice types are strongly interrelated and dependent upon each other.

The accumulation of frazil ice on underwater structures is known as anchor ice. On stream bottoms, it appears as smooth, white pillows. Anchor ice is typically a spongy, flocculent mass of ice crystals that is more porous than ice that forms on the surface. With time, patches of anchor ice may grow horizontally and join to form a continuous carpet of ice on a stream bottom. Maximum anchor ice thickness was about 30 centimeters and average thickness was about 8 centimeters in a Michigan trout stream (Benson, 1955). Anchor ice formation is usually highest during cold, clear nights, when heat loss from the water is greatest. In streams, anchor ice occurs most commonly on gravel and boulders in riffle areas where flow is most turbulent (Benson, 1955). Anchor ice seldom forms on substrates of fine sand, silt, or clay because (1) the anchor ice can lift free before attaining any significant size, or (2) streambed heat flow to the water may be effectively greater in these areas than gravel or rocky areas (Ashton, 1986). Wigle (1970) reported temperatures of 0.4 to 0.5°C at a depth of 10 to 20 centimeters below the bottom of the Niagara River, while temperatures of the water were supercooled, indicating the potential for surface heat transfer to water. Anchor ice may form on stream beds when turbulence is strong enough to transport supercooled water to the bottom, where ice crystals may attach to the bottom and further grow (Ashton, 1986). Anchor ice generally does not form when a surface ice cover is present.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/18/17 09:58 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
W
OP Offline
W
Wow that is very interesting, Bill!

I couldn't guarantee it, but I could possibly get up there and get some measurements. Physically it's no problem. I could get a ride up the mountain. Would just have to make a trip out there.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It doesn't have to be high altitude Colorado. Any person with winter aeration in a safe ice and snow covered larger pond can make the measurements to verify what I am saying. Make the water temperature and DO measurements to verify. Then report your results back here.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/18/17 10:01 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
I understand. I will do my best to contribute.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/20/17 07:16 AM.

W
OP Offline
W
Bill I just saw your additional information. Thanks so much for all the insight!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My water mixing "theory" is not proven in numerous different pond settings. If you live where ponds have significant winter ice, you aerate and you have a DO meter take some temperature and DO readings to verify that cold water mixes very easily. One main thing that has not been tested is how far the currents will spread from action of one diffuser.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill, you are correct, I keep forgetting that it's a trout only pond (in regards to the water temp during the winter).

My one concern is the possibility of having a bridge of snow form over the open water if the diffuser only opens up a small hole.

My concerns could be unfounded though.

Thoughts?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

W
OP Offline
W
What do you guys think about this?

Here is what I am thinking of running for Winter stations. 5 stations at the discussed depths should put me just under 1 CFM per disc. The circles are diffusers ran by pump off of solar. Two side by side circles are an existing dual station I could just keep running in place for winter. The W is an existing single Vertex ran by a Koenders windmill. The WW will be a dual Vertex ran by an American Eagle. The SE corner of the lake is the deepest at 20'+ so only air in that corner in the Summer.

A pleasant surprise from this post is it seems that since I am dealing with trout maybe I do not need COMPLETELY different diffusers for Winter/Summer. I should be able to run ALL my stations with the bigger pump in the Summer and then just cut the number of open stations back some when I switch over to the smaller pump for Winter.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Heck of a setup. How ever I don't think you need to go all the way over to the other side of your pond from your dock with the one fuser. I think you could put that one right in front of your dock maybe just off to the right or left to keep that area opened up bigger. It would make for a much shorter run and still get the job done... but that's just me....

RC

Last edited by RC51; 08/21/17 12:45 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I would move the W diffuser down so it is a little further down and below straight between the o - oo. Then move the upper O to almost or mid-way where the W was located ( 1/2way between where the W and O is proposed). I don't think a diffuser in front of the dock is needed and will be wasting needed circulation in 8ac (within 80ft of the dock is too close to your dock - IMO). For your goal, you want deep water circulation, not shallow water circulation. What is the distance from the dock to the upper(north) shore? The O should be above mid-way between distance of the width. In 39F water, this should push water to the north shore with the help of o & oo. When W and WW are working in winter each should push water 200ft from my experience and temp-DO measurements.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/21/17 01:19 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
Like this, Bill? Do you agree with only running air in the deepest water (20'+) during the Summer or should I rethink that?

Hard to get an exact distance from dock to far shoreline as Google Earth hasn't updated since 2014 so the new water levels are not shown. A close estimate is 450' from Southern shoreline to Northern shoreline.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/21/17 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails