Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus), 769 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Snoopy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My Dad's folks bought the property up north with the five acre pond in the late 40's. They spent their retirement living there. Then Dad spent his retirement years there. They've all moved on to the next life and left it to my brother and I. We're grateful for it and thank them for our little slice of heaven on earth. The pond has given us fond memories over our entire lives. Swimming, catching frogs, fishing, first rides on snowmobiles in the winter. Our Grandparents great big sheepdog loved to chase the Evinrude Skeeter so Gramps made a harness for him that he hooked a red plastic sled to and we got the best dogsled rides ever. Same 12' Sea King aluminum boat from the 50's is what we use to fish today, same old weathered oars too. Fishing isn't quite what it was back when we were boys but it's still good. The past year or so we've been studying the pond and behavior of it's inhabitants quite a lot. Did some work to improve conditions early this spring which appear to have been beneficial. Decades ago there was a "beach" area Gramps cleaned up for swimming along with a boat landing area that also had a clean bottom. Over the years the older folks didn't have strength or energy to maintain the pond and it has declined. The muck covered the beach and boat landing areas. Once my brother and I along with our cousins got to be driving age, got girlfriends and jobs we spent less time up north. Wasn't till our middle thirties we began to realize what we'd been missing and how the precious time was passing too quickly. Fortunately we spent valuable time with our elders and did what we could to look after them and their place. Our Dads passing from leukemia at the young age of 74 has changed the way my brother and I look at life. We spend more time up north together and make as many improvements as we can. We'll continue to do more in the hope of restoring the pond to it's former glory in the coming years while we try and relive our childhood as best we can. Gramps was like a big kid right to the end never losing his sense of wonder, Dad too. Thankfully they passed that trait on to my Brother and I. Just this past weekend I felt like a thirteen year old kid again each time my bobber went below the surface and I reeled in a fish. My Brother was smiling like a silly kid too. What better way to spend a weekend than up north with my Brother in a peaceful place we've known all our lives acting like a couple school boys catching fish. We can thank the pond, and our Dad and Grandparents who left it to us for that.

All the better any of us will ever be is to simply do the best we can.
P
P
Good story..... family stuff is what this forum is about.... welcome to it and have fun with all the great folks

S
S
Snoopy that is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Great story

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
Great story!I love going back in time.I will drive over a hour out of my way,on my way home from work every now and then just to spend 10 minutes looking at the creek I spent most of my time at as a kid.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Snoopy I just got to go back to my Grand Fathers farm home the end of July they had to sell it while I was away in the AF unfortunately I am 49 now and the last time I saw it I was 15. It is amazing isn't it how the simple little things we did as kids become so important and meaningful as we age.... My Grandpa's place we in Rudolf Wis. I grew up in Eagle River. As a kid it's no better place to grow up then in the great white North Woods!!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
L
L
I hope my kiddo feels the same way when he is older. He is jaded to what he has, and would rather be inside glued to electronics.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images