Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,924
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Theeck, Fishingadventure, Augie, Homestead 101, phinfan, Jward87, Joe7328), 842 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NETexan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have 3 ponds totaling 8 acres and treating for Southern Naiad which was quite thick (70% pond coverage). 3 months ago used Spritflo (fluridone by Lake Restoration) at a rate of 45ppb which killed quite a bit of the weeds but now the Naiad has already started growing back. Trying to understand if a stronger dosage should have been used or is there a difference in quality when using fluridone products other than Sonar AS. There is a significant cost difference between the products but both products show to have the same fluridone percentage.

It is challenging to get an unbias answer from a product seller. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience with one product over the other.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One thing about the Fluridone Products is that they have to stay at whatever concentration rate that is recommended for 30-45 days. Sometimes that requires a "bump" around the 21 day mark to keep the concentration level up.

Since the whole BOW has to be treated at once, getting a measurement of the whole BOW water volume is critical to figuring out the appropriate dosage.

Depending on the size of the treatment area, a FAST Test is less expensive than adding more product at that time frame.

I haven't had any failures (knocks on wood) when using Fluridone, but I usually bump it or have a FAST Test done especially on the bigger areas.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
N
NETexan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I appreciate the guidance and insight! I have not heard of the "FAST Test". I will do a search on it but if you have a link to the description would be great. I was hoping there is a way to know the ppb level as I might be underestimating the water volume as well.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I am thinking about doing a small test on my smaller pond with Spiritflo. The pond is less than acre and has a moderate DW concentration. The pond is in a valley and has very little wind and no current flow through right now. If I read right, four ounces of the 41% "could" do some good. Also, it appears to me that all I would need to do is go down to the dock and pour it in. (When I have rarely used pond dye I usually just pour in a gallon off of the dock and the next day it is totally disbursed so I hope this stull would disburse).

Does this sound right? If it shows any success then next year I will ramp up and do my larger pond (which in the spring has a lot of flow through) on a more thought out basis.

Any thoughts ?

Yes, I am also trying to figure out what the FAST test is.

Last edited by Bing; 08/08/17 12:45 PM.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
N
NETexan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Based on talking with Lake Restoration tech and reading the Spritflo label, the product can be dispersed via a hand spray tank. Spritflo is diluted with water then sprayed around the edge of the entire pond. There is a table on instruction label showing the amount of product per surface acre by the depth of water.

An acre pond with 8 ft. depth of water would need 31.4 ozs. to reach the recommended minimum treatment of 45ppb.

BTW.....I found Sepro has a water test called "FasTEST" so assume that is what was being mentioned. I have seen reference to water tests being done by TAMU but have not found yet how to get a test done or the cost.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
NETexan -- I only slightly misquoted my pond. It is not 8 feet deep throughout. Much more shallow water than deep. I am thinking average depth is more like four at most. Perhaps to five acre feet. This might bring that ounce count down somewhat. 8 feet throughout would be more like a rather substantial swimming pool.

Last edited by Bing; 08/08/17 07:04 PM.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
N
NETexan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Bing, I was just guessing what the depth might be so half the depth certainly does reduce the amount significantly. At 4 feet the suggested amount is 15.7 ozs. I have included the link to the Spritflo product label and the amounts are listed on page 7.

http://www.lakerestoration.com/pdf/Spritflo-Label.pdf

I would be interested to hear the outcome if you try Spritflo.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Thanks for the chart. I couldn't find that for anything. It looks like I would be wasting my time pouring four ounces in the puddle.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The FASTTest is a test to determine the concentration of the Fluridone in the water about 1/2 the way through the fluridone application "dwell" time. Usually around the 20 day mark after initial application. Since Fluridone has to be at a certain minimum PPB depending on what you are treating, the FASTTest will tell you whether you need to add more to keep the concentration up or not.

https://www.sepro.com/lab/

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/23/24 03:33 PM
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM