Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,056
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Donatello, Freg, tws3, rjackson, jpsdad, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 643 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Originally Posted By: RussinTX
Let's see, maybe my math was off. Someone tell me if my math is off.. lol..

The 4 sides are about:

1 - 185
2 - 115
3 - 90
4 - 150

If you put sides 1, 2, and 3 perpendicular to each other (in that order) and connect side 4 ends to 1 and 3, side 4 ends up being very close to 150 feet (149.1'). This shape yields 0.36 acres. I used autocad.

A good way to estimate your future pond size is to go to Google maps and trace out the pond's location on a satellite image using the "distance" function which will give you square footage. Then convert to acres. The "measure distance" function is found by right clicking on the map where you want to start the outline of the pond, selecting "measure distance", left clicking the next spot and so on until you have enclosed the shape that best depicts the pond's shoreline. The area automatically shows up on your screen in square feet.

www.daftlogic.com is another way to do acreage.

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

Last edited by BrianL; 07/27/17 02:54 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
R
OP Offline
R
I used Google Earth and figured it was closer to like .4 - .45. I am sure it will be altered as I plan it. I need to take and measure it out with a 300' tape I have AND.. also take pictures of all of it to show distance from the house etc and get thoughts on all that.

May be a really good weekend project.. you know, on top of all my other projects wink

Russ

B
B
Also remember to account for the size of the dam. From back of dam to water can easily be 100+ feet.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
R
OP Offline
R
Yea, just having fun atm and yakking. May be I cannot build one due to size restrictions. Now, my ranch down south.. THAT could house one... but no water.. lol

If I had a well down there, you can bet I would have a freaking LAKE.. heh...

All rock down there though... would be rrrreealllly expensive.

Btw, thanks for helping the day go by faster :P

Russ

D
D
I'm new, but I do have a 1/2 acre pond. We built it last summer and stocked it this past March. The photo shows it overfull, we had the dam built up an additional 18 inches this spring.

Our pond

R
OP Offline
R
Wow, wonder how big it looks like when it is not over full heh

Very nice!

Russ

D
D
Not a lot different, that was just after a huge storm the night before and is up about 12" or so.

Normal level

N
N
Russ,

I have a pond that fluctuates around the 0.45 to 0.50 acre mark just SW of Fort Worth. It was existing on the property when I bought it in January of 2016. It had nothing in it and had never been stocked as far as I know. I didn't really mess with it when building the house which we finished in December 2016. I came to Pond Boss around that time and got pretty active in preparing for Spring stocking. I wound up stocking it this March with Redear Sunfish (RES), Coppernose Bluegill (CNBG), Largemouth Bass (LMB) and Hybrid Striped Bass (HSB) from Overton Fisheries. Don't go anywhere else in Texas if you ever get to the point of stocking fish. www.overtonfisheries.com I also put in 15 pounds of fathead minnows (FHM) and 10 pounds of crawfish. As you can see in the background of one of the pictures the pond is less than 100 feet from my front porch. We love sitting on the porch in the mornings and evenings watching ducks, geese, fish jumping, dog swimming, kids playing, etc. There is always some activity on the pond. My fish have grown quite a bit in 6 months. It was actually 6 months yesterday. I would say a half acre is about as big of pond that I would want to manage with my crazy schedule. Stay connected here at Pond Boss. Tons of useful information and helpful people.

Attached Images
2-11-17 (1).JPG 2-11-17 (10).JPG
Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 09/12/17 09:06 AM.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
R
OP Offline
R
Oh wow.. that looks beautiful!

We are not at the point of adding a pond yet. We only have 1.9 acres, so, not even sure if it is possible. My wife worries that it will just be a mosquito pen.. heh

We would have to dig down as we defiantly would not have room for a dam that would need 100 ft or yards, whatever it is, of clearance.

Originally, the lady next door owns the 3.6 acres behind us and has a "pond" that cannot hold water, and we offered to help make it better, but I get the feeling that sinking money into someone else's land would not be the best idea.

So, just finishing up the deck and barn and then will look to see if we have enough land to even add one.

Boy, sure would be nice if it turned out to be half as beautiful as yours.. heh

Russ

N
N
Thanks! Mosquitoes haven't really been a problem. I was afraid of that too, but we are out in the yard all the time and never really see any. Maybe the frogs keep them in check. Who knows.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
J
J
beautiful spot - i too have been lurking a while, and am about to bike the bullet (hook) and start on a 1/2 acre pond which has been in my mind for years.

Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
Russ,

I have a pond that fluctuates around the 0.45 to 0.50 acre mark just SW of Fort Worth. It was existing on the property when I bought it in January of 2016. It had nothing in it and had never been stocked as far as I know. I didn't really mess with it when building the house which we finished in December 2016. I came to Pond Boss around that time and got pretty active in preparing for Spring stocking. I wound up stocking it this March with Redear Sunfish (RES), Coppernose Bluegill (CNBG), Largemouth Bass (LMB) and Hybrid Striped Bass (HSB) from Overton Fisheries. Don't go anywhere else in Texas if you ever get to the point of stocking fish. www.overtonfisheries.com I also put in 15 pounds of fathead minnows (FHM) and 10 pounds of crawfish. As you can see in the background of one of the pictures the pond is less than 100 feet from my front porch. We love sitting on the porch in the mornings and evenings watching ducks, geese, fish jumping, dog swimming, kids playing, etc. There is always some activity on the pond. My fish have grown quite a bit in 6 months. It was actually 6 months yesterday. I would say a half acre is about as big of pond that I would want to manage with my crazy schedule. Stay connected here at Pond Boss. Tons of useful information and helpful people.

.20 acre pond-that leaks/4-5' deep. Stocked 6/22/19 with 300 BG(supposed to be HBG, removed 100+/- so far), 100 RES, 3carp. On 8/20 added 300 HBG, + 21 5"HSB. 8/21 added 5 8" SMB, one 10" LMB , one 14" CC
S
S
Welcome to the forum jpws.

Here is a list of threads about specialty ponds I keep, many of which are small. You might find some of them interesting.

Specialty pond list thread

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy