Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,957
Posts557,918
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
16 members (John Folchetti, canyoncreek, FishinRod, DrewSh, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, Donatello, ghdmd, catscratch, phinfan, Theeck, Cliff76169, Justin W, Shorthose, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 925 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
F
SMH
I can't believe we're still talking about this. Let's move on to something worthwhile. Did anyone get any much needed rain? Small storm today dropped about a tenth.

Last edited by farmallsc; 07/23/17 09:33 PM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: highflyer

Now lets try this one:

You are in the back of my aircraft and we are flying at night in moderate to severe turbulence, lightning all around. People around you are praying, convinced they could meet their maker every time the aircraft shakes, rattles or rolls. Each lightning flash brings more gasps. Meanwhile, I am up front hoping my coffee doesn't spill.

I've been on this flight, too many times! I sure don't miss traveling for business...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Farmall, participation in this thread is entirely voluntary.

Brian, your last post has definitely provided food for thought. I think in a way, it actually helped clarify my thoughts on the matter. You're right, it is about perspective, and folks perspectives can be very different as your examples illustrate.

But in the case of a stuck elevator or aircraft turbulence, the different perspectives stem mainly from a lack of knowledge regarding such things, no? Not everyone understands how elevators and aircraft work. They may well think that the end is nigh. You and I know better.....why?

Because of our knowledge and experience. We are keenly aware of how this stuff works, and our perspectives are formed from having an education on the subject. And that education came to us by way of commitment, sacrifice, and resolve. The same way everyone everywhere, achieves anything worthwhile. If it's important enough to you, you will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Whether it be learning to fly, becoming an elevator repair journeyman, or taking on the task of reposting lost photos.

Brian, I highly doubt that getting to where you are now came easy. I know the road I'm on can be pretty rough at times. But you got it done, I'm getting it done, and all those complaining about lost photos can get it done, if they would just get started.

That's why I struggle with seeing missing photos as any kind of big deal. Inconvenient yes.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
P
P
Sparkie I knew I liked you!
Well said

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 07/24/17 06:43 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted By: farmallsc
SMH
Did anyone get any much needed rain? Small storm today dropped about a tenth.

Blew like a hurricane here last night. Got a little over 1/2" at the house.

P
P
Lightning in the distance but nary a drop

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Tony,

Its all about your perspective. I have spent hours and hours taking pictures, cropping them, resizing them, posting them and referencing them to show off, help others, and to demonstrate concepts or color schemes. My time is no less valuable than other people's time. That goes for everyone here. We all want to help, learn, and take pride in our accomplishments. This changes how those efforts can be used, and that upsets people appropriately. For you, its no big deal, to others, it is a really big deal.

This is exactly it!! Like Brian I have posted many,many things out here in the past 7 years....to help others and some to just give joy and the time involved in getting them off my phone and resizing them and cropping them and downloading them to PBucket... It is what it is we cant do anything about it, I cant count you the number of Private message I have gotten on my DIY air system and how glad folks were that I had pictures of it all to go by!! And my floating feeder as well and how we put it all together, and countless pics of my cabin... it just sucks and if I knew I could do it the way I know now I would have... but it is what it is... frown

Spark your correct in the grand scale of life this is not that important, but it still sucks for those who did an AWFUL lot out here to help and show others how to do things.... thats all.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 07/24/17 07:32 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It's about like raising kids. Things change.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I agree RC, it is a shame about everyone's photos. My only reason for posting was to present another viewpoint, to try and illustrate how we as a society might have our sense of scale a little out of adjustment. I've got many, many photos of HBG in several different incarnations here on the forum also. I hope they don't disappear, but if they do, oh well. If someone needs visual help, or asks to see a photo, I will do my best to provide one. I guess I'm lucky in one regard, I have no idea how to edit my photos. I'm not exactly enamored with digital media technology, so my pics came right off the camera. grin

Tony,
I am glad to see that you recognize the efforts lost by our fellow pondmeisters. I agree that this is not going to cause the lights to not come on, or the faucet to stop providing clean water, but that said, it is a inconvenience to say the least.

About learning to fly, I got that, always have... smile

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
to try and illustrate how we as a society might have our sense of scale a little out of adjustment.

I still am going to be pissed/frustrated/depressed if
the Cowboys don't win a playoff game this year!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Zep
to try and illustrate how we as a society might have our sense of scale a little out of adjustment.

HA! You got to get passed my Packers first!! lol

Go Pack Go!!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Now lets try this one:

You are in the back of my aircraft and we are flying at night in moderate to severe turbulence, lightning all around. People around you are praying, convinced they could meet their maker every time the aircraft shakes, rattles or rolls. Each lightning flash brings more gasps. Meanwhile, I am up front hoping my coffee doesn't spill.

I've been on this flight, too many times! I sure don't miss traveling for business...

It is just one more of those air pockets we hit. I became a FREE(??) United Airlines Hundred-Thousand-Miler Club member in 1971. I hit a million air miles with them in 1975. Those were truly the golden days of flying -- piano lounges, other lounges, etc., on the early 747s. PanAM was still pretty darn good too in those days. I typically had 30-50 pieces of heavy excess baggage with me, so the airlines and the porters all loved so see me coming.

Sometime in the late 1970s - early 1980s, it all started to change. Then it really changed. I lost all my perks on all the airlines, even though I was still flying overseas a couple of times a month. I lost my privileges, just like we are seeing with the Internet services today.

I used Photo Bucket, for free, for nearly 10 years without a problem. Not bad.

Pond Boss staff and others are working to solve this issue. It has affected other sites I'm active on.

IMHO, we are not going to retrieve fun old pictures like these:

Some of these old photos should probably be forgotten forever, like the next to bottom photo. But, photos, like the very last one should be a part of our history. I have these in my archive, but I'd need to have my after-life ghost spend a lot of time trying to match them up with the thousands of photos I've posted over the many years I've been posting here.

Life is good. Enjoy what we have.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
I agree with what all of you have said. I do see what sprkplug is saying about perspective. How many of you have had the horrible day when you can't get on the internet or your facebook or twitter is down?? I have seen days here in rural Arkansas where service is substandard and folks can't get online or view facebook or watch netflix and you would think someone died. We have become such a "tech savvy" people, that many of us have forgotten what life is without tech. I for one have had that fit before. Normally because I can't get on a forum or browse ebay or something. I don't have a smartphone, but I have seen the "I can't access my facebook "face".." Its not a good one. I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I got on here and all the pics I was used to looking at were gone. I do know that folks that put the how to's on these sites and do the experiments and record observations, that lost their pics feel like all that work was in vain and feel like throwing their hands in the air. I know its business but I think it could've been done differently...maybe by giving people some time? I don't know, I didn't know anything was going to happen until I logged on here and the pics were gone. I feel for you guys that put SOOO much work in the awesome posts on this site!

I would just like to see us as a culture take a step back and look at how dependent we have become on technology. What would happen in a big city if the power was out for a few weeks? During the big ice storm in 2001 or so we were out for 10 days and I was working on a dairy farm at the time. It was hard...we depended a lot on electricity and tech then, but nothing like today...and nothing like a city. We do not teach kids how to live or what to do without tech. The net and all the "businesses" free or not, are a lot like a big brother...they can be your best friend one day and take your candy the next. Like many have said...and what I have started doing is backing that mess up, and making sure it is safe.

I know I went a bit off base and kind of got carried away. Sorry for that. Oh yeah, got a GOOD rain last night, My pond came up nearly a foot and is close to the spillway!! Never had that at the end of July!!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
A few thoughts..

Zep, I'll try and overlook your passion for sports. Do the Cowboys play the sport that uses a ball that's pointed on both ends?

Brian, all good. Do you know why they teach apprentices not to scream if they fall off the elevator car top? Because It causes the journeyman to have nightmares.

RC, more pointy-ball sports?

Ken, those photos aren't lost, you still have them. Start a new thread entitled "memories,"blast from the past," etc, and post away. Encourage others to do the same. Lots of newer members are unaware of pondboss's storied past. Turn the p- bucket debacle into an opportunity to revisit the archives through photos.

Peachgrower, you nailed it dead on. Our dependence on Internet social forums and sites, has skewed our perspective in a lot of ways. Bravo.

J
J
Originally Posted By: peachgrower

I know I went a bit off base and kind of got carried away. Sorry for that. Oh yeah, got a GOOD rain last night, My pond came up nearly a foot and is close to the spillway!! Never had that at the end of July!!

If the power went off in one of our larger cities for a month, there would be looting, murder,etc, and hundreds, maybe thousands, would die.

I saw the heavy clouds and heard the thunder as those storms you got skirted just to the south of us, then moved on south. It seems we are often missed.

Last edited by John F; 07/24/17 05:12 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: spark
Ken, those photos aren't lost, you still have them. Start a new thread entitled "memories,"blast from the past," etc, and post away. Encourage others to do the same. Lots of newer members are unaware of pondboss's storied past. Turn the p- bucket debacle into an opportunity to revisit the archives through photos.

I'll try. Being retired is difficult.

I just got off the phone -- after multiple calls, all wanting some kind of assistance. (Long story -- includes moonshine, guns, jail, lawyers ....) No, not me, these are just my otherwise-friendly neighbors feuding with each other.

Lynda just hollered down the stairs to ask if I got distracted in getting my truck and cargo trailer ready to go at 7:00 AM tomorrow to help our grand daughter and son-in-law move a bunch of stuff.

I'm heading to a family reunion on the South Shore of Lake Superior later this week.

We just got back from a crazy, but fun trip to northwest Canada.

Being retired is difficult. I'll try see what I can do to post a bunch of fun old photos with captions when I get back from Lake Superior.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: RC51
HA! You got to get passed my Packers first!! lol
Go Pack Go!!!RC

RC I think with the rookies now having a year under their belt
we pass the Packers this year...if we can stay outta jail!...lol

Zep, I'll try and overlook your passion for sports. Do the Cowboys play the sport that uses a ball that's pointed on both ends?

Sparky they've attempted to the last 20 years without a whole lot of success. frown

Fishing has never been about the fish....

John, man it does seem that the rain skirts you guys alot...how is your level holding up right now?

The apocalyptic movies are really not far off on what would happen in the cities if power was out a for a short time...food would run out quickly also.

J
J
Originally Posted By: peachgrower
John, man it does seem that the rain skirts you guys alot...how is your level holding up right now?

The apocalyptic movies are really not far off on what would happen in the cities if power was out a for a short time...food would run out quickly also.

My older pond is down about 20" already. Heading into a new drought in this area. Some places around here got two to three inches yesterday. We did get a small shower today, about 0.2". No flow in the creek. I think if my pond did not leak, it would only be down about 6 inches.

Last edited by John F; 07/24/17 10:25 PM.
G
G
Originally Posted By: Zep
Yeah, I hope the Cowboys win all of their playoff games and go to the Super Bowl and get spanked by the Texans.......... grin

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If there's any spanking done, it probably won't be done from Houston.

The Cowboys are currently having trouble keeping their new recruits out of jail. That's a recurring news item in D/FW. They did a lot better than expected last year and the playoff game against Green Bay was a good one. They just ran into a more complete and experienced team.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Not much of an NFL fan...but all about NCAA. How are the Aggies looking this year? I ask because there are so many Texans chiming in.

G
G
Speaking of Aggies:

Did you hear about the Aggie who won the lottery?

He went to the lottery commission to claim his prize and was told that there were 2 winning tickets sold, therefore he would have to split the jackpot with the other winner.

Angrily the Aggie replied......... “Well in that case, just give me my damn dollar back!”

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
If there's any spanking done, it probably won't be done from Houston.

The Cowboys are currently having trouble keeping their new recruits out of jail. That's a recurring news item in D/FW. They did a lot better than expected last year and the playoff game against Green Bay was a good one. They just ran into a more complete and experienced team.

LOL yeah and then we flat fell on our faces the next week... Ugh....

RC

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 10:08 AM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/23/24 09:42 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana