Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47657 04/29/04 02:22 PM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm a first time poster and have been reading and learning for a while. My guess is this information is already here somewhere so please point me to an existing thread if appropriate.

I have a newly excavated pond in NE Minnesota that is between 1/4 and 1/3 acre in size and about 14 feet deep. I'm pretty deep into ground water which runs at about a constant 53 degrees.

I'm planning to aereate the pond (at only about one CFM) and feed using a automated feeder. I'm hoping to stock rainbow trout in the spring and then fish out during the summer and fall. With some luck, I'm hoping some will winter over.

My question is how many fish do you all think is a reasonable number to stock. A local fish biologist says the pond will support 25 - 30 fish without feed or added air. The hatchery that I was planning to get fish from says it should handle 100-200 10" fish with some aeration and feeding.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

#47658 04/29/04 03:13 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Birddog, I am not an expert but have had Rainbows for one full year now in my small excavated pond. I was originally told to wait a couple of years before I stocked anything. This allows for self colonization of insect, invertabrates, scuds etc that make up the majority of trout forage. Like most people here, I did not have the patience and stocked it immediately with 150, 5" rainbows.My pond is about 170ft x 50ft x 15ft deep when full. I fed them fairly regular through the summer and they grew to around 9-10" by iceup. I only kept a few and a Heron helped himself as well through the summer, but I did overwinter the remainder after 196 days of ice, no fish kill. This year I noticed the aquatic life has really taken off and I do expect better growth. Some of the things I learned: Winter aeration in a new pond may not be required for the first few years. Snow removal is a must. For summer I only aerated when air temps were lower than water temps, mostly at night to keep from warming the water too much. Unlike you, I have no inflow of water from anything other than surface runoff. Water temps maxed at 72f and I think aeration is what got them through that period. I would go with the hatchery recomendation and see how they progress. Every pond is different and sometimes you just have to give it a try and adjust as you go. There are many more seasoned members here that will chime in, Cecil grows huge trout year round in ponds smaller than yours. Search for posts by him and Bill Cody, lots to learn from them, many others as well. Welcome aboard. Wood.

#47659 04/29/04 08:39 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
bdog - Cecil is one of our knowledgable trout raisers. Hopefully he will help out with some information here. Use the Search feature at the top right of the page. Click on it and type in trout as a search word. Search under many topics because people post questions under all kinds of general forum headings.

As Wood said, I also think the biologist and hatchery had the numbers to stock fairly close. Since you are new at fish raising I would stock initially on the conservative side and use about 80- 100 trout if you feed them. As you will read some also stock minnows with the trout, but personally I think the fishing will be better if you do not stock minnows.

Others here have posted about having ground water enter their pond. You can read other posts on how they manage with that feature. Trout are a good choice if you have a cold ground water supply for the pond.

Come back and ask questions if you need more answers or ideas.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#47660 04/30/04 08:41 AM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the quick reply. The guy from the DNR gave me the same recommendation.... that is to wait for a year or so to allow vegetation etc to grow. I don't think either I or my kids will have the patience to wait. ;\) I want to make sure I didn't mislead you. I don't have water flowing through my pond. It is simply in an area with a low water table and the ground water is at about 53 degrees. It filled to 10 feet very quickly. The DNR guy said the effect of the cool ground water should provide a cooling effect for my pond. Without actual water flowing through do you think I will I get this effect?

Thanks again.

#47661 04/30/04 09:22 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
birddog, I see no reason to wait a year. You don't have to wait for plants and micro-organizations to "magically" appear. Put in the plants you want. Ask your local DNR biologists for a good lake (meaning no yuckies) to collect muck and water to seed your pond. Spread some hay over the bottom to make a matrix for bacteria to attach to (like in an aquarium).

Norm Kopecky
#47662 04/30/04 09:56 AM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the encouragement. The DNR biologist (who by the way was very helpful) did concede that if I used a feeder, I shouldn't have to wait, but he would recommend waiting. Also, I thought I read somewhere that plants in a trout pond aren't necessarily that good of a thing to have. Do I really need/want plants and if so, what kind would be recommended for a small trout pond in the north country.

#47663 04/30/04 11:42 AM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Plants are ok for a trout pond and play an important role in any aquatic ecosystem. That is until they get out of control and over run your pond. This may or may not happen in your situation.In smaller ponds it is not hard to control them anyway.I would not worry about introducing a bunch yourself, unless you want them.They will find you. Norm's idea would speed up the process.

#47664 04/30/04 07:02 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
bdog -- If you decide to wait to stock and let food organisms develop before adding trout, then go to forum home (above right) and move down to Creating The Food Chain. In that forum is the topic: Freshwater Shrimp. Choose it. Read it. Then back on page three they discuss amphipods or scuds also called Gammarius fasciatus. Some incorrectly call these freshwater shrimp. If you want really good trout food to develop then get some of these scuds and seed them into your pond this spring. They will multiply over summer and are great trout food.

Otherwise if you don't want to wait, do as mentioned above, stock trout now and feed them pellets. You will get fast growth this spring summer and fall. If you stock 6" to 8" trout this spring you should have 12"-14" or larger trout by late fall.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#47665 05/12/04 09:46 AM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
OK,
I now have my fisheries license and a DNR stocking permit. I've made the big decision and ordered 75 rainbows that will be delivered the week of 5/24. Thanks for the advice. Now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. What would happen if I added a handful of Brown Trout for variety? Are BT just to aggressive to mix with Rainbows even in small numbers?

#47666 05/12/04 10:28 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Birddog,

I would not see a problem with adding some brown trout. In fact variety is the spice of life. I have had brooks, browns, and rainbows in the same pond. The only disadvantage I would see with browns is they are more difficult to harvest. As long as your fish sizes are similar I would see no problems.

Browns will also tolerate more marginal water conditions if by some chance your pond gets warmer than you realized your browns are more likely to make it.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#47667 05/12/04 08:31 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
BD,

What size rainbows are you getting? Be sure to keep us posted on how well you fatten them up over the summer.

Russ

#47668 05/13/04 12:21 PM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Russ,

It looks like I'll be getting mostly 8-10" fish with a few as large as 12". I wanted bigger fish so we wouldn't have to wait to start fishing. I am really interested to see how fast or slow they grow. I'll keep you posted.

Larry

#47669 05/14/04 08:31 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Catching 8-10" trout is fun, especially for kids. Consider it good practice. Just use pliers to squish the barbs down on your hooks if you plan on releasing them with minimal harm.

Enjoy your fish!

#47670 05/22/04 05:35 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Be prepared to lose some of them if you practice catch and release. Trout are not a good catch and release fish especially in a pond where oxygen levels and temps may not be as optimum as possible. If it was me I would wait until they reach to size you want to harvest them at or take a few out now and them.

If you feed your trout you can expect a 1 to 1 1/2 inch growth rate per month into the end of October. Trout grow quite rapidly compared to most warmwater gamefish if they are fed.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#47671 10/08/04 10:21 AM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Update - Just an short update for those of you that might be curious. When my fish arrived in May they were a little smaller than I had hoped (6"-8") but they looked very heathly and started feeding within minutes of entering the pond.

I have been feeding them Purina Aquamax since they arrived. I initially fed once per day (evening) and about a month ago added a morning feeding, and a week ago added a third in the late morning. I'm trying to compensate for the loss of bugs due to cold temperatures.

The growth rate on these fish is really quite amazing. I caught a 17" fish last Saturday and my son caught 3, 15" fish the same day.

Cecil, on a post earlier this summer you were inquiring about 1 feeding vs 2 per day. It looks like my fish have significantly "fattened" up in the last month since I added an additional feeding. I can't give you any scientific data but I do think the additional feedings have had an impact.

I do feed only small amounts at each feeding to ensure all of it is quickly cleaned up and doesn't add too much waste. Perhaps more food once per day would have the same effect.

Anyway, I consider this first season a tremendous success and thanks to all who have posted so much great information on this site.

#47672 10/08/04 08:46 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Birddog, that is terrific growth. Trout that size are very fun to catch, especially on the flyrod, they will have you into your backing next year for sure. How about the plants, I bet they found you. My pond's second year saw many plants/weeds. I pruned some, left lots for cover, shade, and because I like them. Your feeding will help fuel many more next year, but worth it I think.
Sounds like you are doing well and having fun with it, thanks for the update.

#47673 10/16/04 06:24 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Birddog,

More than one feeding a day will indeed produce faster growth. And at the size you got your fish they could have been easily fed three times per day if they will come up in mid day. Most hatcheries feed larger fish twice per day in optimum temps.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM