Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jeff86, melberto, Jordan Reed, Krystofer, angekleonard
14811 Registered Users
Forum Stats
14812 Members
36 Forums
34308 Topics
469238 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 23672
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18738
Dave Davidson1 12937
Theo Gallus 12325
Who's Online
29 registered (ewest, Chris Steelman, RC51, peachgrower, Quarter Acre, David Connor, smokey, Zep, Keith Burchfield, Todd9696, Bobbss, KingRace78, SetterGuy, sprkplug, BrianL, tommyt, Jordan Reed, Bing, Jeff86, Jeff Funk, Shorty, RussinTX, Krystofer, Bocomo, Spicelanebass, gklop, Tums, esshup, Flame), 272 Guests and 444 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#476203 - 07/17/17 08:13 AM connecting two ponds
willywonka Offline

Loc: ontario, canada
Well it has be gone, I dropped a 2 inch pump in the pond and plugged it in. I have been pumping for 3 days now and the pond seems to be going down nicely.

Right now we have 2 half acre ponds right beside each other, about 30 or 40 feet apart. 1 pond is around 8 years old and has Walleye, Perch, Blue Gill, Pumpkinseed, Green Sunfish, Spot Tail Shiners. The other pond is 2 years old and has very little if anything in it.

We are hoping to have the older pond down to 2 feet of water by this Saturday. We have 30 people coming over for a pond netting and barbeque party. If all goes well we will net and move the fish we want to keep into the other pond. Then finish the pumping and schedule the heavy equipment to come in.

We will be renovating the older pond before we break through and connect the two ponds. Goals for the renovation are to make it deeper and steeper to help with our milfoil issue. Remove a peninsula that we have (nothing grows on it but grass and it grows so quick it needs to be cut almost daily) and to remove nutrients.

I will take lots of pics and if I can figure out how to post them I will.

#476364 - Yesterday at 08:52 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
willywonka Offline

Well it looks like 1 two inch pump in a half acre pond is not going to get me down to a good netting depth in 8 days so a second pump is going in tonight.

I took two 1000 lt IBC Totes and cut them in half so I got holding tanks to dump the nets in and sort fish from.

This is going to be quite the event my wife is in full event planning mode. she has a blow up castle/pool/slide thing coming for the kids and enough barbeque food to feed an army.

#476372 - Yesterday at 10:25 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
CJD Offline

Loc: Fl, USA
are you planning on building a channel to actually "connect" the ponds? I have a similar scenario on my property but the distance is less than 30 feet. More likely about 20ish.

#476375 - Yesterday at 10:58 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
BrianL Online   content

Loc: Paris, TX
I bet a 4" siphon pipe would get you there a little quicker. If you use a roll of 4" drain pipe, when you are done, cut it up and make a couple of Georgia fish cubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4JmX4gHUiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wveI9444eas

Edited by BrianL (Yesterday at 11:07 AM)

#476376 - Yesterday at 11:08 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
willywonka Offline

My ponds are dug out on relatively flat ground so no dam or slope. So I don't think a siphon would work. We are taking all the earth in-between the two ponds out so it will be much more then just a channel. When we are done it will look like the pond was dug all at the same time.

I am a little nervous about the actual break through but my heavy equipment guy seems to think it will be fine.

#476377 - Yesterday at 11:12 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
BrianL Online   content

Loc: Paris, TX
I remember dad sticking a dozer between two ponds doing that, but I'm sure they will use a track hoe for that job.

#476387 - Yesterday at 12:57 PM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
willywonka Offline

It wont be a dozer that's for sure, one pond full one empty and a dozer in the middle would be ugly. He thinks he can dig a trench from the empty pond half way to the full pond then start working his way from the full pond to the half way point. When they meet slowly dig and control the water flow. Should be interesting.

#476454 - Today at 07:37 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
willywonka Offline

Well the shallow parts of my pond are now mud so we got to go looking around. 2 things we noticed, one we haven't seen any crayfish yet. this pond use to have tons of them and we have lots of rock. So not sure what that means? also we found a bunch of huge clams in the mud, like the size of my hand. Is that a good thing?

#476456 - Today at 08:02 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
esshup Online   content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Clams mean good water quality, the crawfish may be hiding under the rocks.

I don't know how he will control the water flowing from one pond to the other, it will tend to wash dirt away from the edges as the water flows from one to the other.

Just a note: I'm seeing a lot more Blue Green algae showing up in ponds that are steep enough to limit underwater plant growth, but have a high nutrient load. The jury is still out whether nutrient management without vascular underwater plants in the pond will limit BG algae growth. I will know for sure in a year, hopefully in two months.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#476474 - Today at 09:33 AM Re: connecting two ponds [Re: willywonka]
willywonka Offline

Thanks for the information. I'm not trying to have no plants, I will be planting some for sure. Right now we have some shallow areas near the dock that were put there for fishing purposes but have turned into milfoil beds. The plan is to have deep water near the dock and the sides drop off quick enough that the milfoil will be limited to the shoreline.

We are actually going to extend the pond out a bit in the direction that rain water enters the pond and plant this area with beneficial plants and try to manage that area and keep the milfoil out.

Today's Birthdays
Mark Domingos, Omaha
Recent Posts
photobucket ransom
by peachgrower
0 seconds ago
Growing big bass based on Protein.............
by peachgrower
8 minutes 12 seconds ago
Fish kill in aerated 2 acre pond
by Todd9696
28 minutes 32 seconds ago
Sunfish (Centrarchid Fishes) genetics
by ewest
54 minutes 55 seconds ago
Show me your under 1/2 acre ponds!
by RussinTX
58 minutes 58 seconds ago
First fish caught in pond!