Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#476148 07/16/17 08:52 AM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
is photobucket holding you all's pics for ransom like me? they say i have to pay $400 to share my pics now. I just added two links from google photos. i have added google photos before, but it seems like it was the image instead of a link. anyone no the easy way to just add the image without making everyone click on a link?

please check out my post about mixing diquat and cutrine. I need some plant id help.

Scott Hanners
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Scott, I am searching for a way around the photobucket ransom demand too. I don't know of an easy way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
just pay the $400 for you and i and let's see if that helps.. haha.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i like google photos, but i don't know how to just add the image instead of the link. i think some people are leary of clicking links. never know, it could be a virus.

Scott Hanners
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am using IMGUR now to display photos. It seems to work fine and is a lot faster than Photobucket. Some things just get me angry!

T
T
I uploaded all my Photobucket pictures - would not let me upload my videos however. Now when I go to Photobucket to try to see my videos it says I removed them! Afraid I may have lost them all - what a croc from this company - they will go under IMO

RAH #476164 07/16/17 10:59 AM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
those are pretty shepherds. i have 2 myself. i just had to get rid of my 5 year old male-solid black. he bit my best friend that has played with him forever. it seemed like a game of fetch that went bad. he chewed his hands and arms up. he never acted up once the entire 5 years i had him. i hated to see him go

Scott Hanners
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Guys, not trying to be a wise***, just trying to understand. Are you using photobucket as the sole storage source for all your photos, are you just concerned with the ones posted here?

Aside from reposting the photos using another source, I'm not sure anything can be done. Photobucket was the hosting source, now they want paid.....sucks, but I would probably want paid if it were me also. All the photos I ever utilized photobucket for are still stored on my hard drive also, so I haven't lost anything. If I wanted to go back and repost them, I could. Yes it would be a royal pain, and I'm not going to do it, but it's still possible so I'm not sure why so many think it's so devestating?

If it were that important to me, I would have to roll up my sleeves and get started.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Yes the Photobucket free ride seems to be over...until now we could store, edit, and share our Photobucket images all over the world basically for free...while Photobucket I assume had increasing costs relating to storing millions and millions and millions of images....it sucks...but I guess they had little choice. We and them gotta move on...it is what it is.

So we have to find other entities that will allow us to attach a URL to our images and then we can post them directly into our posts.

I recently found a free site ( www.Ezimba.com ) that has been working and allowing me to take images on my computer and attach a URL to them so I can post my images directly on to message boards. Not sure about Ezimba privacy or where and how the images are stored...so you might not want to use it for personal stuff...but it's working for me to post pictures of fish, docks, birthday cakes, non-private type stuff.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Zep #476177 07/16/17 03:10 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony, I have all my photos on the hard drive of the computer. I'm specifically concerned about the ones on here, particularly the archives and any photos that members who don't or can't frequent the forum have posted in the past.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We have 3 shepherds right now and have always had this breed although occasionally others at the same time. We train our dogs pretty rigorously and are very careful when we have visitors. Some folks do not understand when a dog has had enough or how to read their body language. The one with her teeth out is actually just playing with the puppy. They play like this all the time and she takes some pretty aggravating nagging and nipping from the puppy. All of our dogs get along very well and we plan to add one more, perhaps from a litter from the one with her teeth out. We are keeping them about 2 years apart in age so we don't lose them all at once. We once lost 4 in a single year ranging from 14 to 15 years old. The staggered ages also lets the older dogs train the younger ones which really speeds the training. They understand when its time to play and when they need to get in touch with their inner wolf. This is why I prefer this breed.

T
T
!@#$% Photobucket. What a failed business model. First they made that site almost unusable with all the popups, then they try to strong arm $400.00 out of people. I suspect a very small percentage of folks are going to pay $400.00 when there are so many free options out there

I am trying imgbb.com out now.

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i haven't lost anything, but pictures all over the internet are not showing up now. i look at gun forums and such and there are many pics that are gone and replaced with the photobucket thingy ma jig.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
android phones and google work well together. everywhere i go i can log on to google and see all of my pics. it is easy to attach a link, i just wish i could add a pic instead of the link. i am computer dumb, but i will figure it out sooner or later.

Scott Hanners
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014

Zep #476192 07/16/17 09:51 PM
J
J
I read the article. I still think they will be out of business by 2018.

So far they haven't changed, or charged me any different. I pay $2/month. I can live with that. I guess they just haven't caught up to me yet. If they want, even $100, I'm gone. Hard to believe they thought this through. Millions of customers paying $25-50 per year. Or, a handful that pay $400..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
They had about 35 million customers. Say less than one in three stayed and paid $2.08 per month ($25 per year).

Ten million customers paying $25 per year = $250 million.

Maybe ten thousand business and heavy user customers would pay the $399/yr.

Ten thousand customers paying $399 per year = $3.99 million.

Even with the hosting costs, the ad revenue would have been substantially more than with vastly fewer customers.

It's a no brainer. Someone wasn't thinking this through at all.....

S
S
Maybe someone wants to run it into the ground. If you can crash a company bad enough, let it go into bankruptcy, the shareholders get basically nothing, the company is sold off for a song to insider investors and then taken private. THEN they come up with a plan to make money with a very low investment in the company.

I have owned more than one small company stock that ended that way. Another company that raiders tried to do something similar (but different because it was a profitable company) but fortunately the board was comprised of principled people and kept it from happening.

Weird stuff goes on with public owned common stocks. The companies are not always managed for the benefit of the shareholders like they are supposed to be.

Last edited by snrub; 07/16/17 11:41 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Like they said in the movie The Godfather when they whacked somebody, "It's just business" and they were losing $$ by providing a free service. And this is different that the guy who is charging big bucks for life saving meds. So, after years of giving away storage space, they now want to increase or even make some profits. Can't really say that I blame them for that. There are alternatives but, I expect those alternatives won't be free for long.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: John F
I read the article. I still think they will be out of business by 2018.

yes the article certainly seems to indicate there are
real questions as to whether they can recover from this.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I still maintain that this validates my philosophy. Anytime you depend upon anyone else, you put yourself at their mercy. Certainly we all rely on others, everyday, but we should take strides to place as much as possible under our direct control. It may not be cheap or easy, but it is very satisfying.

My business and personal philosophy for years.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Perhaps a computer science expert can help me understand how cutting off the forum-posting function by Photobucket saves them money unless they actually free up storage space by deleting the stored photos?

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I still maintain that this validates my philosophy. Anytime you depend upon anyone else, you put yourself at their mercy. Certainly we all rely on others, everyday, but we should take strides to place as much as possible under our direct control. It may not be cheap or easy, but it is very satisfying.

+1

The voice that seems to be absent from this discussion is that of the PBF owners. This photobucket fiasco has had a huge impact on the forum. Is there a plan going forward to make the forum more self sufficient?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Why isn't the forum compatible with 8-track players:) Where is the hitching post? Self sufficiency is a relative concept. Its a myth for most folks, especially those with a life that includes computers.

I agree, that is why I am starting medical school, a blacksmithing class, a welding class, and in my spare time, law school. These skills should go well with my degree in CS as well as my tactical background. Sure glad I have all my land to grow my own food and my own pond to grow my fish, lobster, crab, squid, and all the other tasty treats. Then, in my spare time as well, I plan on building my own roads, and a space program to explore with. I knew I could do it alone.

Okay, satire complete, we can't do it alone. But we can do more. I doubt many here could host their own site and keep up with all the patches and updates, not to mention hardware requirements and networking issues. That is why S3 is there. And that is why all the other professionals exist as well. We take for granted the things we want and value the things we do because we understand the efforts we go through. I for one understand a lot about the complexity of our society, and I am grateful for the professionals I work with in all areas of my life.

Now its off to the doctor for my annual physical.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
RAH #476211 07/17/17 08:46 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: RAH
Why isn't the forum compatible with 8-track players:) Where is the hitching post? Self sufficiency is a relative concept. Its a myth for most folks, especially those with a life that includes computers.

"As much as possible", being the key phrase here.

Seeing how this is Amish country down here, we DO still have hitching posts, RAH. grin

Everything within reason. I know that doesn't sit well with those who only see black and white in every situation, but that's how the real world works. As much as possible, do for yourself without relying on someone else.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
TEST

Attached Images
Big Blue.jpg
Last edited by RC51; 07/17/17 08:57 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I just added this pic above and did not use anything other then the File manager provided on this site. It's not difficult once you do it a couple times.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
How to add a picture without photobucket. Ok I'll try to explain this best I can.

1. You must switch to Full Reply Screen below.
2. Then click on File Manager.
3. Then click on Browse to find your picture.
4. Then just highlight file you want and click on open. You should see the path in the path area next to the browse button now.
5. Click on Add File next to the browse button.
6. Click on Done adding files. Keep in mind it wont show you the link until you click summit once your done typing.
7. Click on the submit button below. You will then have just the link but wait there's more!! lol
8 Now that you have the link right click on it and go to properties.
9. Highlight the entire area where it says Address and URL right click on it and select copy.
10 Re-edit your post then in the area where you type put this in there below. After the first IMG right click and paste your Address / URL in that you just copied.

IMG]http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11715&filename=Big Blue.jpg[/IMG]

Just for this example I left the first bracket off on the IMG so you could see what to type and paste. Hope this helps.

Re click on submit and your done.

RC

Attached Images
6.5 lbs HSB.jpg
Last edited by RC51; 07/17/17 10:36 AM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Here is another example.

Practicing my "RC 10 Step Method" for posting photos...

OK, after a few tries, I got it! Thanks RC, fantastic. My biggest hurdle was realizing the importance of the "/" in the last "[/IMG]" string. Who needs photob#cket when you have an IT guy like RC.

Attached Images
20170716_141316.jpg
Last edited by Quarter Acre; 07/17/17 09:43 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
LOL good deal Quarter glad I could help!!

RC

P.S. Just also remember your pic cannot be over 2 megabytes in size or it will holler at you.

Last edited by RC51; 07/17/17 10:45 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks RC - not easy but will work. It may take 10 years but at least I can start fixing the PB BS.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah it's not too hard, once you get it down pat anyway. After a few times doing it, it's goes a bit faster! And no problem glad to help!!

RC

B
B
figured it out.....

Last edited by BrianL; 07/17/17 11:26 AM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
RC, is there an easy way to get pics down below the 2MB limit? I've been sending pics from my iPhone to my email account, then transferring them back to my iPhone pictures. When I email them, I get the option (sometimes) to send them at a reduced size.
I would think there would be an easier way..

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well I am not a iphone guy so not real sure how it works with one. On my Android I have a crop or a resize function in the edit area of a picture.

On my computer I use the simple Microsoft paint software. If you open with paint on the menu bar you have a resize option. All you have to do is change the percentage size in the Horizontal and Vertical boxes from 100 percent to say 50 percent and it will automatically resize pic for you. If your still not sure how big it is you can resave it and then right click on it and go to properties and it will show you the new size of the picture.

If I remember correctly the forum only allows up to 10 pics or 2 megs of pics in one post. Unless that's changed I believe that's what it is.

Hope this helps
RC

Ok, thx. If my iPhone could somehow tell me the size of the pic, after I reduced its size, I'd be a happy camper. I imagine there's a way to find that info, but I have no idea how or where to find it.

And stop posting pics of your HSB! I don't like being reminded of my inadequacies. My HSB are uncatchable. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/17/17 01:43 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
Setterguy, maybe check this out.

Iphone image resizer

There is also an image resizer powertoy for windows. Just type image resizer powertoy in a google search. Its a microsoft product and free. Download it and you'll see it when you right click on an image. All you have to do is right click on an image and resize to wherever you want. Its pretty handy. Just the way I have always resized for the forums I'm on.

I used to use photobucket and one other site but quit years ago and have always uploaded pics like RC said. Its really the way to go and your photos aren't floating on some cloud somewhere, they are on your hardware...may it be pc, droid phone, or iphone or whatever.

Last edited by peachgrower; 07/17/17 02:00 PM.

B
B
Originally Posted By: ewest
Thanks RC - not easy but will work. It may take 10 years but at least I can start fixing the PB BS.

You can start with your signature grin... Those Photohostage Icons bug me for some reason. No need to give potohostage free advertising .

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
LMAO!!! Sorry....

smile

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Pic

Attached Images
av2.jpg Bacc 15  (4).gif PB220035 - Copy.jpg
Last edited by ewest; 07/17/17 04:00 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
There you go Eric... lol

B
B
grin More better....

Trophy Hunter feeder.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I guess it's about what we deem as important. Those Amish I spoke of earlier don't seem to care much for tactical training, law degrees, or the space program. And still they survive.

RC51 #476313 07/18/17 01:26 PM
F
F
Originally Posted By: RC51
Here is another example.

Nice Fish and Nice Dock too!

B
B
I like to read on this forum... but cannot open any of the photo bucket pictures you guys post... figured it was something I was doing wrong.... maybe not?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bwana
I like to read on this forum... but cannot open any of the photo bucket pictures you guys post... figured it was something I was doing wrong.... maybe not?

Nope, it's not you, Photobucket changed their Terms of Service. Now they want $399/year to allow 3ed party image hosting, and it seems that they are not grandfathering in any of the 100's of thousands or millions of photos on the internet already. Many of us, myself included will NOT pay them their ransom money.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Just thinking out loud here but maybe my 10 step picture process in this post shouldn't get lost in the shuffle. Others will want to see it and try using it I'm sure. Although that's not up to me but just a thought...

RC

RC's process is the best for me. The ten steps don't seem like much once you have done it few times especially compared to the 5 to 10 minutes it took me to use photob#cket. Reducing the size is a bummer, but the photos are still very good and serve their purpose very well. The only real caveat that I can imagine is...I suspect it will use more "forum space", but what do I know?

Fish on!,
Noel
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Looks like PostImage.org is maybe going through some changes too...
many of these companies hosting enormous files of images for FREE are struggling.

PostImage.org changes

ps: the actual image site is plural "PostImages"
http://postimages.org/

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sounds like ad revenue isn't paying the bills.

I think maybe the change from desk/lap tops to cell phones is a lot of it also. This changes the way things work...and probably the number of users on these sites. Photobucket, shutterfly, and the like have all probably been hit by the cell phone boom. crazy Now everyone has a cloud to store their stuff instead of a server somewhere. crazy Not that I agree with the free or cheap to out of control price hike...lol but was just thinking.

Last edited by peachgrower; 07/20/17 10:14 AM.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: peachgrower
I think maybe the change from desk/lap tops to cell phones is a lot of it also.

probably true peach....images and the space needed to store them has literally exploded as the phone replaced cameras...it's gotta be 100,000 fold what it was just ten years ago.

speaking of that...i still love my laptop

i know many are using primarily their phone now

not me...

in the eve I still like sitting in my recliner with my laptop while watching cable tv

I know guys in my generation that have both, but still prefer their phone sitting on the sofa at home....of course kids prefer the phone overwhelmingly, but they live to text and instagram..etc.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: peachgrower
Now everyone has a cloud to store their stuff instead of a server somewhere.

Now, that made me smile.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Zep, I'm a laptop guy too...heck I still have a flip phone and I'm 38...lol.

My wife and kids all have galaxies and Iphones. I will probably bite the bullet but I'm like you, I love my laptop and love to really see the pics on my screen and be able to easily read a page without scrolling all around it. lol.

My flip phone gets service anywhere and has a battery life of nearly a week. I have dropped it from tops of 18 wheelers while working on engines and it has weld spatter spots all over it. You can't see most of the numbers on the buttons anymore, and YES you have to tap tap tap to get to a particular letter to text. lol. BUT it has NEVER let me down..its like that 2 or 300,000 mile truck with the original engine that you still drive because you would just like to see how long it will go!

Theo...just saw something interesting, soon, very soon your post count will 12345 lol. That will not happen again until 123456, don't think any of us will be around for that one.

Last edited by peachgrower; 07/20/17 10:04 AM.

HAHAHA crazy Okay, I just saw what I posted...didn't even think about it when I typed it. We have free or cheap cloud (server) storage with our phones instead of a server owned by photobucket or shutterfly or the like that we used for our laptops. That made me smile after I finally read what I typed...like the cloud is an invisible server in the sky...lol.

Theo glad you got a laugh...I'm still laughing at myself. laugh

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
LOL that was funny.... hehe

RC

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I'm sure it's not quite this easy and I don't know how PondBoss hosts their stuff but......

Hard drive space is as cheap as it's ever been at this point. You can get a 3 TB hard drive for about 100 bucks. Lets break that down for a sec.

There are a 1,000 Megabytes in a Gigabyte.

There are 1,000 Gigabytes in 1 Terabyte.

There are a million Megabytes in a 1 Terabyte.

Now lets say we are only allowed a max of 2 megabytes for pic per post.

That 500,000 pics minimum with the 2 meg limit and most pics are smaller than that. Mine are usually around 1 meg or less.

With a 3 Terabyte hard drive your talking 1.5 million pics pondboss could host at the 2 meg limit for around 100 dollar hard drive.

I would be more than willing to donate to help the cause if they did such a thing and let us know how much it costs I am sure a lot of us would help out.

Just a thought!! But like I said in the I.T. world I am sure it may not be quite that easy for them....

RC

Last edited by RC51; 07/20/17 11:56 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Count me in - a lot better than reposing 1000s of pics with no assurance that we don't get PhotoBSed again.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Count me in - a lot better than reposing 1000s of pics with no assurance that we don't get PhotoBSed again.

I think it would work. Well they would actually need 2 drives. One to store PB pics and one to back them up to in case of hard drive failure or someplace in the cloud to back them up to.

RC

Me too, but then you run into bandwidth problems and the number of people uploading/downloading/viewing from that one hard drive through that one connection to that one server. Might bog the system down.

Like you said though...that stuff is cheap and for the companies like photobucket, shutterfly, etc that probably has a room full of servers and bandwidth out the wazoo it shouldn't cost a person hundreds of dollars a year to keep their pics there and use that to post to forums and such.

And speaking of speed, you can now get solid state hard drives just like an ipod or what you have on your phone that have no moving parts and are so much faster than hard drives. Memory is cheap now a days. I do remember paying nearly 200 dollars for 4mb of ram in the 90's to boost my pentium 133mmx to 8, count them 8 whole megs or ram! I was blazing! lol

Last edited by peachgrower; 07/20/17 01:37 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah it may slow us down a little but that's one reason why they limit you on pic size. It would take a LOT of people downloading / adding a pic to pondboss at the same time with the size limit they have I don't think we would really notice it. And they could always set the backup to run at night when there is less activity. Once you had a whole backup it could then just run a incremental backup and get the new pics is hasn't gotten yet and it wouldn't take no time.

Anyhow that's up to the big dogs I suppose, but if they give us a number that would help them pay for it I would donate to it for sure!!

RC

I agree, I have not donated to the forum yet but will be doing so soon and subscribing. Awesome place to be!

I guess I'm a little funny on bandwidth because where we live and I work we have to either bounce off a cell phone for internet or use the verizon mifi. We do not have fiberoptic anywhere close so no DSL or high speed for us. I sometimes forget everyone else doesn't have that probelem.

You have a very good idea. I know there is alot of money goes into upkeep and the hosting of the forum...but as for the pic problem you make very good points and the pics would not be lost like they have been with this photobucket thing..with the back up in place of course.

Last edited by peachgrower; 07/20/17 02:19 PM.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
RC...i am slow..so forgive me..but is this plan you propose mostly about Pond Boss not losing their history of images if a PhotoBucket type entity goes under? If that's the case I get it...but if not I am not sure I get it.

Because if it's about guys just being able to post pics then I can't see how anything could be safer/cheaper/easier than Pond Boss forum members just keeping their own images on their own computer...then using eZimba with 2-3 easy clicks to create a URL for the image and then post in the forum.

what says you?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Zep,

First part yes you got it! Second part needs to be done so all them photos can be put back in the correct place if the hard drive died or if pondboss went down and that drive did not come back up in essence they need to be what we I.T. guys call mirroring that drive so they have an exact replica of it all if one goes down. Sure you can keep all your own photo's everyone can, but what if your pc died that has all your pics on it? Would they all be gone from the PB fourm then? I don't know anything about eZimba and how it works,but if it's just a link convertor and each one of us would store our own pics that could be a nightmare for PB. What if they went that route and 6 or 7 folks out here got a new laptop lost all their pics, got mad at the forum and got rid of all their links to their stuff.... Bottom line is for the PBF to have and keep there pictures of all the AWESOME stuff out here they need to really be able to host it themselves and back it up. Or your always gonna be subject to Picture Ransom somehow. The key here is 2 fold.

1. Keep 3rd party folks or anyone but PondBoss from having to intervene / host pics.

2. If PB backed it all up on their drives they could restore it much easier if something went wrong.

Now with that said that's a lot easier said then done in most cases and may take a bit of work on their part that's for sure. I mean right now if I use my 10 step procedure above where is that pic residing? I would guess out on the PBF somewhere?? I assume. They just need to make sure they have enough space and a good backup or a secondary server they are backing up to.

I'll use this for an example. I would hate to lose all of Bretski's pictures out here because of photobucket, or his pc crashed and burned or he got ticked off removed all his links to his pictures. Just saying as an example....

I'm in agreement with RC on that also. #1 and 2. I have alot of pics that are now lost. I posted using photobucket on computers that I no longer have and did not back up. mad They are now lost and have been pulled off of every forum that I have been on. I have been on LOTS of forums over the years and posted alot of pics. If you were to able to put them on the forums own drive they should always be there.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
OK RC I understand better now. Thank You. I had the IT tech at work put most of the pics from my work desktop on to my laptop so there is some redundancy, but there is always a gap and most people may not do that...so yes it would be a bummer to lose like you say all the Brettski picture journey. I don't fully understand eZimba either. It has extensive editing, but I can't really figure out how to use most of it. And it looks like there is no way to "sign up" for eZimba or store any pics there. I really just use it to generate URL's for pics, but like you say what if eZimba is gone this weekend? All the eZimba URL linked forum pics would probably be gone too.

If I may offer a suggestion, now might be a good time to start a naming convention for our pics. Phones and digital cameras usually just use a number sequence to differentiate between pictures. While it works, it's doesn't tell you what the picture is if you searching your hard drive for it.

Mark, I'll use you for an example, but let's say you want to find a picture of your fire pit at your place. The camera may save the pic as IMG_3798.JPG, but a far better name would be ZepRanch_fire pit_10/10/2015.jpg. Where this helps is on searches. I'm not sure how Windows works anymore, but a search for ZepRanch would pull up all the pics that originated there, and make it much easier to find when needed. On fish pics I use "species_location_date.jpg".

RC, while I agree with your posts about hard drive costs, I'd be willing to bet the PB host is on a Unix/Linux system with raided drives of some kind. They're redundantly redundant, and failure is vary rare these days. Those drive arrays and controllers aren't cheap, and I wouldn't be surprised if some hosts still use scsi hard drives. In my previous life, we had 2 dedicated Stratus database servers that dimmed the lights when we fired them up. These were $15,000 a piece in 1990's dollars, but damn they were fast.

I absolutely agree with the backing up of data in a consistent manor. I'm on Macs now, so I use Time Machine for hourly backups, and then a disconnected usb eternal hard drive on Sunday mornings after all the security scans are done. No reason to pass any potential malware to the backup also.

I also wanted to applaud you guys efforts to find a suitable replacement for photobucket, but nothing in life is free, and anything we find is still potentially temporary. This whole debacle should open up an opportunity for other services to thrive, but they too have to make a profit of some kind. The hard part is for them to figure out how to do that in a market that was historically free.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 07/21/17 08:48 AM. Reason: clarity

AL

J
J
The solution for third party hosting is to get your own domain. Use it for pictures and for email.

The solution for most forums that allow picture posting is to post the pics directly to the forum.

IMHO

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Fire if they are using Unix/Linux that that's awesome! It's good stuff! We don't use it anymore but hard to beat a good ole Unix box with AIX on it!! As long as you know all the commands that go with it!! LOL...

Yes there are a few options PB could go and maybe they are discussing it at this point lets hope so. Cause as of right now all these pics are gone... Bretski's, my cabin build, my dock build.... all the work involved putting up these pics so people could have the knowledge and now poof.... sad indeed.

RC

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
My photobucket pics are still here. Wonder what the deciding factor for cutoff was? Maybe heavy usage, or lots of storage? I think I have around 350 pics on Photobucket, but not sure.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
My photobucket pics are still here.

sparky what's weird is my 2 signature images at the bottom several days ago got the "PhotoBucket Ransom" notice image so I switched them to eZimba, but my avatar has not been affected and it is a photobucket image that still shows.

Tony, I bet they're lowering their overhead for a sale.

Just curious, did everybody get all their pics back from pbucket? I downloaded all mine as a zip file last week, but I was wondering if that option was still there.

RC, I avoided the command line stuff like a plague. In my civil service world, if you knew something, it could become your responsibility. When we had meetings about the transition from mainframe to Windows. I was very happy to be the dumbest guy in the room. My brain was already full of insignificant stuff, and there was no reason to clutter it up with something useful.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 07/21/17 09:19 AM. Reason: afterthought

AL

Mine are still working. I just checked the account. In settings it shows 18% of 30.1 GB used. Couple bucks a month. Is that not an option any more?

Otter attack in 2023
F
F
Yes, If you were a paid member before all the hoopla that went down, you're good till the end of 2018. At least that's my understanding

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think I paid 10 bucks a year to photobucket for the pleasure of fewer adds. Don't know if that made any difference, I can't see where it should've, with such a small sum.

Al, I never tried to retrieve my photos, as I still have them on the hard drive here at home. I guess if photobucket wants a copy of my pics, they can have them. As long as I have my copy, I don't care what they do with theirs. I always considered if I store content anywhere but on my computer, then it's no longer just mine. The copies of my photos here on PondB, belong to PondB. If I didn't want or expect that, I never would've posted them here in the first place.

But, I do realize I have an unusual perspective on a lot of things. If my photos disappear from PB forum today, no big deal as I still have them. I guess I don't consider any photos I've posted over the years as being that important, as I'm not concerned with leaving a legacy to my accomplishments and/or failures. I was just sharing in the moment.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: farmallsc
Yes, If you were a paid member before all the hoopla that went down, you're good till the end of 2018. At least that's my understanding

So all this commotion is because so many never kicked in a few bucks to help defray operating costs? Now I'm curious....everyone who's photos still exist, did you chip in to photobucket? How about those who lost their pics, did you pay?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Now I'm curious....everyone who's photos still exist, did you chip in to photobucket?

I'm not sure "chipping in" is the right term, but I was a paid PhotoBucket Pro subscriber. I see my photos are still there when I sign in, the difference now is I can't post those pics to a 3rd party website (like PondBoss) anymore, with the exception my avatar? maybe such a small file? i dunno.

this was PB pricing back in 2009:
http://blog.photobucket.com/upgrade-to-our-new-pro-account/

my guess would be 90% of people that stored images at PhotoBucket were non-paying?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
So there must be another reason why some still have pics, and some dont. Hmmm.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C

Mine worked for a week or two after the new policy and then went away. Not sure why.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
PhotoBS is systematically going through its system iding accounts to do this to.

Last edited by ewest; 07/21/17 10:28 AM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I have never paid photo bucket anything guess I never really got asked by them or even had anything pop up that said hey pay us? I thought it was free to a certain storage percent then after that I would have to pay.... I have all my pic not worried about that part but I hope everyone that saw my stuff on PB enjoyed it!!! frown I will switch over to my new way now and I may redo the post of my new dock.

RC

I just deleted my photoB account and gave this reason for deletion...

"The recent changes in service regarding 3rd party hosting has ruined many, many threads on my favorite forum."

Goodbye PhotoB! They can have my storage space back.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
B
I probably should have deleted my account, but instead left my maxed account open, just deleted the app from my phone. I wonder how long they will keep inactive accounts that are maxed out in size?

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
Lunker
I still have one account they haven't KO'ed yet.

Now I'm curious....everyone who's photos still exist, did you chip in to photobucket? How about those who lost their pics, did you pay?

I wasn't "chipping in" either. I used up all my free storage when I took a motorcycle trip from St Louis to Alaska and back. They told me, if I wanted to upload any more pics, I had to pay. Like I said it was $2/month, so I was ok with paying. This new deal of hundreds of dollars. Not happening with me.

Otter attack in 2023
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sounds like size of utilized storage might be a factor?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Guys (sorry if someone has already suggested this)
here is another possible alternative to PhotoBucket.

https://vgy.me/

This site lets you create URL's for images with or without registering.

If you register it will store your images.

And the word everybody seems to love it's FREE...
it's FREE if you register or FREE if you don't register.

Of course someday it could suddenly do what PhotoBucket did or cease to exist....but for now it works and is pretty user friendly as far as I can tell.

Lunker
Lunker

I have two accounts and only one has been KO'ed as far as 3rd party hosting goes, my smaller rarely used account with just 5% storage used is still up and running for some reason. When my avatar disappears I will know that it no longer works for third party hosting, it's probably just a matter of time. It would make sense the Photobucket is disabling accounts in the order of how much bandwidth each account uses.

I went over to Advrider.com it's a huge adventure motorcycling website. I did a quick search and found 18 "I hate Photobucket" threads. It looks like a lot of guys over there are switching to smugmug.
https://www.smugmug.com
I haven't checked it out yet, but from what I read, it's reasonably priced, and works better than photobucket ever did. ($3.99 a month with a yearly pmt, or $5.99 a month.) Seems to have a lot of additional services. If you post a lot of pictures (I do) it might be worth it. I would imagine they are getting a lot of new customers right now.

Just another option. Sorry if I'm repeating a earlier suggestion.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/21/17 12:30 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
T
T
I can relate. Between Webshots and Photobucket I have lost ~ 15 years of shared/linked photos on the inter web.

Just a test for sig and avatar...

avatar won't come up...it is 80x80 jpg. It shows up in my profile editor...but not when I post?? hmmmm.

Last edited by peachgrower; 07/21/17 08:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy