Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 739 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Just dug a one acre pond in Texas--averages about 7 feet. Lots of clay. The pond isn't filled yet. Looking for help with what to stock and when. Here are my interests:

- no feeder, if possible. But willing to put one in if I must
- fishing would only occur once a month at most.
- interested in fishing for BG, shrimp, crawfish, and very rarely bass.

My ideal mix of fish would be BG, Macrobrachium rosenbergii (Malaysian prawn), freshwater prawn, a few bass, minnows, crawfish.

Here are my questions:

- If I were to try to put all of these in this tiny pond, what proportions would I use?
- what bass would you suggest?
- what minnows would you suggest?
- who do i call to help me get all these?
- what type of foliage should I put in around the pond?
- what questions am I not asking that I should ask?

The idea is that I'm not fishing very often, but when I do, I'd prefer variety as I intend to eat what I catch. If I can't stock everything, my priorities with the most important first are: BG, Macrobrachium rosenbergii, regular freshwater prawn, crawfish, bass.

I know that the BG and bass may very well eat the two kinds of prawn, but I hope that enough can escape getting eaten that I can eat them. I also understand I have to stock the prawn yearly.

Thanks in advance. Much need the input and looking forward to your advice. Here is a picture of the tank:

[img:left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/g95qixvs2muyj4y/IMG_0508.jpg?dl=0[/img]

P
P
Welcome to the forum
Where are you located near? I would think the first thing to do would be to ck the water to see what if anything you need to do before adding fishpost the water test results and the smart folks will tell you from there. Lots to read in here and lots of new friends to be made

O
O
I agree with checking your water before fish are put in. Then the next thing I would do is add some FHM not much just a couple pounds. Give them a while to do their thing while you decide on which fish you want. If you only want a few bass you might consider HSB. Since they do not reproduce you could put in a handful of them, and with lower numbers a feeder wouldn't be needed. Now I am not sure but I think you could probably stock lower numbers of RES and HBG to fill the role of forage. I am still a newbie at all this so I would wait for an expert response to correct anything I might have told you wrong. welcome to the forum

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
F
F
You mention a "few bass". The bass will be there to manage the BG. The bass numbers will have to be adjusted to what size BG you want to catch, and the quantity of BG. Sometimes bass are left to be so many they stunt themselves, and sometimes you need to adhere to slot sizes. Those can change as time goes on, and needs to be re-evaluated frequently. Just trying to make sure you know that.

Generally:
large BG = few BG and lots of bass
Large bass = lots of small BG and few bass

I like both for eating, so I have neither huge BG or bass, but nice size ones of each. I harvest medium size BG and the larger bass that are starting to put to much pressure on the breeding BG.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Welcome to the forum
Where are you located near? I would think the first thing to do would be to ck the water to see what if anything you need to do before adding fishpost the water test results and the smart folks will tell you from there. Lots to read in here and lots of new friends to be made

The pond is in Fayette County. Thanks for welcoming me.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: ozarkfisher
I agree with checking your water before fish are put in. Then the next thing I would do is add some FHM not much just a couple pounds. Give them a while to do their thing while you decide on which fish you want.

thanks. I'll add the FHM. Can I add them in the heat of the summer?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
I like both for eating, so I have neither huge BG or bass, but nice size ones of each. I harvest medium size BG and the larger bass that are starting to put to much pressure on the breeding BG.

What proportion do you use in BG v LMB in your pond? Or, what should my stocking ratio be? I read BG to LMB should be 500:50 for an acre, but I also intend to try to do prawn and crawfish. I don't want to overburden the pond. Any suggestions on what my ratio should be?

F
F
I cannot give you stocking numbers. There are way to many variables to consider, and every time I think it should be this/that, I am wrong. Just the area you live in, versus me in the north, makes a big difference. The pros need to weigh in on a solid stocking plan/numbers. Don't listen to the guy who is selling you fish, he will tell you what's best for him.

Once your fish are in, then you need to 'manage' what you have. So proportions isn't something that one knows after the initial stocking because there is no way to do a "head count". You need to keep track of what is happening with sizes and numbers of all the different fish. If you are wanting to harvest say BG in a 7"-8" range, Let's say you are doing that and getting the amount of meals you want one year. The next year you find that there isn't that many, you better start figuring out why. Perhaps there are too many small bass that are eating the fry, perhaps the bass have gotten to big and eating all your breeders, perhaps both of these, perhaps something else all together, etc, etc. Gets complicated fast, but that's where all the info on this forum and being able to ask questions becomes invaluable.

Owning a pond is a constant journey. never ending learning... and work.

PS.. check every minnow you put into the water. You don't want to end up with a stray bass, CC, or?, and have the best stocking plan go bad.

Last edited by fish n chips; 07/08/17 12:36 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I know nothing about prawns except what I occasionally read. No help there. Expect the bass and BG to pretty well mop up on the crawdads. For any survival, you will need either a lot of shore line plants or a bunch of rock hotels. Since the rocks don't spread and get out of hand, I'd select those. You might also consider some cut down cedars for structure and protection.

Bass and bluegills in one acre or less Texas ponds take a lot of management/maintenance by culling. Have you considered hybrid bluegills and hybrid stripers? Install a feeder and a good high protein feed.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
[quote=abs1nthe.....What proportion do you use in BG v LMB in your pond? Or, what should my stocking ratio be? I read BG to LMB should be 500:50 for an acre, but I also intend to try to do prawn and crawfish. I don't want to overburden the pond. Any suggestions on what my ratio should be? [/quote]

IIRC The recommendation I've read most often is 30 BG to 1 LMB.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Since the rocks don't spread and get out of hand, I'd select those. You might also consider some cut down cedars for structure and protection.

Bass and bluegills in one acre or less Texas ponds take a lot of management/maintenance by culling. Have you considered hybrid bluegills and hybrid stripers? Install a feeder and a good high protein feed.

Thanks. It hasn't rained since we dug pond. So, very little water in the pond. It should be easy enough to cut down some cedar on the property, tie it down, and put it in the pond.

Thanks. Will look into hybrids.

Last edited by abs1nthe; 07/10/17 10:53 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

Owning a pond is a constant journey. never ending learning... and work.

PS.. check every minnow you put into the water. You don't want to end up with a stray bass, CC, or?, and have the best stocking plan go bad.

Thanks for advice. I was just hoping the journey had a simpler map. smile I'll look to check every minnow. But right now. not enough water to put minnow in the pond. Hoping for a downpour soon.

A
A
When you put down structure such as cedars, remember Bob Lusk's admonition: Put them to convenience your fishing, not just the fish.

So if you fish from shore, make sure they are within casting distance and that the geometry favors the fisherman. It's much easier to drag a lure, or a fish, up the cedar than down!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: anthropic
When you put down structure such as cedars, remember Bob Lusk's admonition: Put them to convenience your fishing, not just the fish.

So if you fish from shore, make sure they are within casting distance and that the geometry favors the fisherman. It's much easier to drag a lure, or a fish, up the cedar than down!

Didn't even think of that. will do.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13