Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well... a few days ago, I was surprised by a Rustoleum product I had never seen before. I accidentally ran across it at Lowes. Lowes Self Etching Dark Green Primer

I think most of you know me well enough to know that I'm not here to push some "miracle product" ... like, "buy this, and you'll get a free ginzoo knife ..." That ain't going to happen. I have no connection with Rustoleum nor Lowes.

But, my old 14-foot Grumman jon boat has recently been sitting near the tractor barn for several months, and it has been crying out to go to the beauty parlor. A few days ago it really made me feel guilty when I was putting new lights on the trailer, plus I did a little bit of welding and then paint touch-up on the trailer.

Yesterday, I ran across the paint mentioned above as I was looking for some paint for another project. I saw this primer/color, and saw the "self etching" on the label. I brought a can home, did a little research about it, did a little bit of cleaning on my old boat, and sprayed it on parts of the boat.

I know this probably sounds like the Long Island NY TV salesman selling some crazy product to waterproof the screen door on the bottom of his boat, but ...

In this morning's daylight, I couldn't tell a color difference between where I sprayed it on bare spots and the boat's original 1980s paint color. I hadn't even seriously cleaned the boat before spraying it.

I needed more supplies this afternoon. I got three more spray cans of this paint. Tomorrow morning, I'm gong to scrub the boat with paint thinner, then detergent, and finally with vinegar. Then, I'll take the pressure washer to cleanse it, then dry in the sun for an hour or so. Then I'll spray it with this crazy paint. (It will certainly be after the late morning/early afternoon winds come up. The first few ingredients on the can shows it is made from toluene, acetone, and xylene.

What little I did last night really looks good. We'll see what happens.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
C
Great news, keep us posted and pictures would be great. Since this is only the primer will you leave it primed or add a top coat of something?

I can not speak for this brand of self etching primer as I have only recently used it for some bare metal areas on a welded up tailgate project, but the self etching primer is fantastic stuff. Rustoleum is a staple in my paint cabinet however. It should do fine as the only coat on an aluminum boat. It's flat, a color we like, resembling camo, and it really adheres to metals well. DO BE VERY AWARE of it's fumes. It is MORE aggravating to the breather than most paints! It is really meant to have a top coat, but many many boats have been rattle can'd with the cheap stuff with no primer and their owners have been happy. Painting a boat with only this primer would be a step up from regular ole' dollar store spray paint.

Fish on!,
Noel
C
C
Pictures below might be similar to your boat? 14 ft flat bottom for sale on local ad. I thought you might want to see what a camo pattern looks like smile

Attached Images
Grumman 1.JPG Grumman 2.JPG Grumman 3.JPG
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The photos above look to be of a similar boat to mine. Mine has the original swivel fishing seats that are still in great shape and are very comfortable. My old Minn Kota Turbo 65 will just about put it up on plane if I'm the only one in the boat. I've also got a 9.9 hp Mercury but I almost never use it.

As for the fumes -- yes, I read the contentents. Everything in the can is deriously deadly. I will only finish spraying it when there is no wind.

I don't plan to over coat it. It is virtually indistinguishable from the original color. So I can mask over entire areas that have gaps, like over the registration and inspection, the Grumman logo lettering, etc, and it won't be noticedable.

I've had very good luck with just Rustoleum primers over many of my homemade welding projects. They are pretty tough. I even spray the inside of my tractor loader bucket about every two years with black Rustoleum black primer.

I'll post some photos when I finish. It is too breezy to spray today.

Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 06/27/17 10:38 AM. Reason: Correcting the corrector

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
These photos show how well the Rustoleum primer matches the old paint.

The transom and the gusset in the photo below were sprayed. Nothing inside the boat was sprayed.

This photo shows the side, which hasn't yet been washed before I paint it, buy it too shows the newly painted transom compared to the side. The sun is shining directly on the transom, so it looks lighter in the photo than the side does, but they are really close in color.

M
M
No matter your boat is old or new. You can paint it. As your boat is too old I would suggest clean your boat first you can use boat trailer to clean bottom part of the boat. After cleaning the boat please do service if needed. Then paint the boat. You can use primer before painting a boat to give better finishing and make it look stunning.

Last edited by Mrboatmechanic; 12/03/19 07:52 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!