Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Just an observation today of my new aeriation system. Surface temp 15 foot from the bank was 90 today. The air temp was 90. I turned on my new aeriation system for only 5 minutes while I paddeled out to where the 3 diffusers are and took a surface temp reading of only 80degrees!!! 10 degrees difference. I have been running the pump 30 minutes a day for 5 days now and I still have a rotton egg smell. Should I stay at 30 minutes? when is the smell going to go away? Only have maybe 3 inches of any muck in the bottom of my pond.No dead fish and they still are feeding good.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Flame,

Rotten egg smell. That's sulfur I guess in your water? Toxic fumes and gases can kill fish quick. If it were me I would stay at the 30 minute mark for a while yet. Flame do you have a well feeding your pond? Or is it all natural run off?

Only reason I ask is I remember as a kid growing up we had a well for the house and a lot of times it smelled like rotten eggs. My dad always told me we had a lot hydrogen sulfide in the well It never really hurt us... but it sure did stink.. We eventually got a filter. If you only have 3 inches of muck on your pond bottom I have a hard time believing its trapped in it but it could be... I would play it safe and run it for 30 mins for one more week. Then bump it up to an hour and stay there for a while.

Last edited by RC51; 06/15/17 07:37 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
I agree with everything that RC said. Play it safe and stay at 30 minutes.

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks guys, It is all runoff that feeds the pond. We do have a well on the property and you are right it stinks so bad from the well I would not dare running it into my pond. We have city water at our house. I just use the well water to wash my hands in my shop.I will stay at 30 minutes each day. It is just getting hotter as the summer gets here. I wanted to have it stable before then. Is 30 minutes still helping the pond? Or is it just a kind of waisting time until I get the gasses out?I live on the property so I keep a very close watch on everything and I document everything in a journal. Is that 10 degree temp change about normall?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I can't remember how big your pond is but mine is 1 acre and I would say yes from shore to the middle of my pond where my air is, is a good 10 dgrees different. Slowly mixing that water is the best thing for now... Don't rush it. I know it's getting hotter for sure! Running your air for 30 mins isn't doing a hole lot for the entire pond no... but if you over do it, it could be real bad... Push it a little if you want. Let it run for 40 mins instead of 30 if you can. At the 1 hour point I think you will be helping your pond but still not there. It takes about 4 ish hours for my pump to actually turn over my pond once. Course my pond is just 1 acre... and only 10 foot deep max.

What I don't like is you have all that smell and yet no muck hardly??? Where is it coming from. Do you have a spring maybe that you don't know about? How far away is that well from the pond? It could be seeping into it from somewhere.... Nothing you can really do about it I guess except play it safe.... I left my air on dead of summer for 2 hours the entire week and 4 hours the next week. Only then I went to 8 hours a day at night. And my summers here are close to what yours are that's for sure!!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 06/15/17 10:10 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
RC, I will continue to play it safe. My well is 300 yards away and don't expect any seapage from it. My pond is just under 2 acres and the deepest part when full is only 11 ft. Right now it is 10 ft. and that is where the diffusers are located. I have fed the crap out of these fish everyday for over 2 years so I expect a lot of waist. Average depth of pond is probably only 4-5 foot deep with 11 in the deep end. When digging the pond we never hit a spring so I guess I don,t have one. So my pond size should take about 8 hours to turn it over once? How many times a day should you turn your pond over? Is once a day enough? Thanks for your advise.

D
D
The sulfur could be in the clay bottom of the pond. If your water PH is low and stays low I bet it is in the clay bottom. The best way to remove sulfur from water is to spray it into the air with a fountain. This will degas sulfur fast and should not return.

I control our pond water temp with our aeration. We run it at night and it will cool the pond down. We shut it off around 10am let the top 30"s warm but for the depth of the pond it out numbers the gallons that are warm. When learning we run the air 24/7 in the summer and did see the pond up here in Ontario get to 85 and the perch just stopped eating. It was like they were not even in the pond.

Bill tipped me off on running it at night to control water temp and it works like a charm. Cuts the FA growth, and keeps the fish feeding more. Swimming is still nice in the top but dive down or pull water from below up with your feet and its cold!

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
W
W
I think ideally they say you should shoot to turn your pond over 2x per day. Probably best to do it at night like Dono mentioned above.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
just came back in from pumping again today 30 minutes as suggested. Good news I think... had a smell on start up though not as strong. It lasted about 15 minutes. Last 15 minutes I really could not smell anything. Sounds like it is improving. I did notice something I'm not sure is right... My pump is 20 ft from the waters edge. I ran regular 3/8th inch automotive airhose to the waters edge and spliced into the weighted airline right at the waters edge. I have 3 air hoses. I enclosed the 3 in a 2 inch pvc pipe 20 ft long to reach the pond edge. Only about one foot of hose is sticking out of the pvc pipe closest to the pump. What I noticed is this air hose is getting pretty darn hot,even running only 30 minutes. I can hold on to it with my hand but does that sound normal? I guess it doesn't help the 90 degree sun was cooking on it too? I live in a town of 800 people and don't have anybody close by to see how there pumps are doing. Should I wrap some insulation around these hoses to help? Maybe enclosing the 3 hoses that close together in the pipe is causing too much heat.

L
L
Flame,
The sulfer smell in your well water is caused by high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas that is dissolved in the cool water within the well. The gas is released as the pressure and temperature changes as the water is pumped to the surface. The source of the gas is Coliform bacteria growing in the well and on the pipe and pump. It will occur more readily on a well that is not used much. The management is "shocking" the well with Chlorox much like shocking a swimming pool. It typically takes care of the problem. My well had this problem and one "shock" handled it completely. There are protocols to do this posted on internet sites and on You Tube.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Flame
just came back in from pumping again today 30 minutes as suggested. Good news I think... had a smell on start up though not as strong. It lasted about 15 minutes. Last 15 minutes I really could not smell anything. Sounds like it is improving. I did notice something I'm not sure is right... My pump is 20 ft from the waters edge. I ran regular 3/8th inch automotive airhose to the waters edge and spliced into the weighted airline right at the waters edge. I have 3 air hoses. I enclosed the 3 in a 2 inch pvc pipe 20 ft long to reach the pond edge. Only about one foot of hose is sticking out of the pvc pipe closest to the pump. What I noticed is this air hose is getting pretty darn hot,even running only 30 minutes. I can hold on to it with my hand but does that sound normal? I guess it doesn't help the 90 degree sun was cooking on it too? I live in a town of 800 people and don't have anybody close by to see how there pumps are doing. Should I wrap some insulation around these hoses to help? Maybe enclosing the 3 hoses that close together in the pipe is causing too much heat.

Flame, what psi is the gauge reading on the aeration system? I'm guessing that it is the sun, but LMK the psi.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
My 3/8" hose's that comes off the two Kasco 1/2hp air compressors is always hot to the touch. These two hoses are approx. 24" long before it ties into the larger 1.5" line. I just figured the hot air was coming from friction at or inside the pump. I wondered why they have a 3/8th " hose coming off the pump, I would have thought a larger hose would be bigger.

Last edited by TGW1; 06/16/17 05:29 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
D
Both my Thomas piston pumps make a lot of heat. I could not use the weighted hose off the pump because it would just balloon up and pop. We had to put in a hunk of air compressor hose to keep it from popping off or even ballooning up. We are pumping the air down 16 feet so there is a good amount of pressure.

When you compress air you get laden heat of compression and when you degas quickly or decompress you get frost or cooling effect. It is 100% normal to get heat from the outlet of any compressor.

I was going to make up a aluminum coil on the exhaust that is coiled in front of the cooling fan for the motor then flare the end for the air line. Aluminum is very very good at pulling heat out of anything.

I like the heat in the winter so the vent holes we have in the pump house we block off with foam insulation to hold the heat in.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Esshup, My system came with no gauge. Where exactly should I place a gauge? Do I need a gauge on each of my 3 hoses for output or just put one gauge on the main input hose before it gets to the manifold? From the sound of it everybody's hoses get pretty hot, so it must be the norm. Just didn't want to screw up a brand new system.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Go to AutoZone or similar and get you a 12 or 14 inch heater hose I use that on my pump as they are built to stand the heat. after I put the heater hose on I then attached 8 foot of that harder clear but flexible plastic tubing this tubing can be whatever length you need 8 foot just worked for me. I believe all of it is half inch inside diameter. Then I went from that to my weighted hose which is 5/8 inside diameter you will need a few clamps and a couple fittings for diameter changes or for fitting together hoses. My pump gets super hot too in the first 6 to 8 inches of tubing. The heater hose worked like a charm!!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 06/16/17 07:30 AM.

+1 to what laxbro has said about "shocking" the well with chlorox.
I did that very thing to a well on our ranch in Wyoming. I don't remember the quantity of bleach that I used, whether a quart or a gallon, but it immediately cleared up the rotten egg smell.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails