Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473782 06/09/17 11:53 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's been a long time since I've been around regularly, so a big hello to all my friends and the regulars from back then and hello and welcome to the newer folks.

I don't really recall what my last posts were but most of you know we had bought a 30 acre farm in North Central WV back in 2009. We've got two ponds that are still providing a ton of fun but also present some very frustrating weed issues, particularly around this time of year when the curly leaf pondweed has emerged and all but chokes off good fishing. But, not to worry, as Greg Grimes and I are working on some solutions, so we may conquer that in the coming seasons.

The biggest change is that we sold our home in town and moved out here two years ago and I couldn't be happier with the change. The kids love it and my wife and I feel like we've finally gotten what we have been looking for in a home since early in our marriage. I plan to die here, Lord willing, though not too soon (Lord willing on that point, too!). While we didn't build it ourselves, here is a shot of the front of the house.

We've been working towards a greater level of self-sufficiency than we've ever had before and are enjoying the learning experience. I've tackled some building projects that have stretched my experience and skills but have learned a lot and am really enjoying spending time on projects and learning more.

One of our big additions was chickens. We've got four leghorns and four Rhode Island Reds that give us no less than 6-8 eggs every day since we've had them. I opted to build the coop myself and then later added an enclosed run for days we don't let them free range. Building those was a challenge for me but having them under my belt has given a lot of confidence that I can tackle most jobs that we'll have arise around here.

And one showing the run.

This year we also expanded our garden. We've got raised beds as the soil here isn't great after the place was strip mined a couple times in the past century. The beds produced really well last year and are doing great this season in the new location. You can see the old enclosure behind the shed in the last photo. We moved the four original beds and added four more this year with a new, more permanent enclosure.

And from the side.

The structure in the center will be a little two shelf "shed" for convenience when picking things and will give us a place to store baskets, small garden tools, etc. I'll likely also add a tall stand for a rain barrel (the black barrel in the first photo).

We've also had some pretty darn good fishing. We never fished the larger pond a lot for a variety of reasons, but in the past few years we started taking a canoe out on it and discovered it had some fantastic LMB. Now we know we can catch nice ones off the dam during the pre-spawn and spawn periods without having to put the boat in. Here are few of the best fish.

Our son with one just a few days ago.

Here's one I caught the same day.

And one our middle daughter caught about a month ago. She refused to hold the fish but said she'd stand behind it! She's an amazingly patient fisherman and will stay at it longer than the rest of us want to. If I could just get her to take her own fish off the hook!

And a nice one I caught last fall.

There are plenty of smaller LMB and BG, too, but these were the highlights for now.

I also worked with a good friend who is an amazing fabricator to take an idea given to me by Catmandoo a few years ago and we developed a pretty neat FEL attachment for getting algae out of the ponds near the pond edge and which also allows me to essentially dredge about 8-10 feet of the pond bottom nearest the edges.

We started with my pallet forks and drilled a 5/8"j hole near the end of each. My buddy fabricated two sleeves that he welded onto the bottom a quick hitch to basically give it feet. The feet were then drilled to match the holes in the forks and the quick hitch slides onto the forks and I pin it in place.

We then took a piece of gas pipe and two couplings to fabricate the top link connecting the hitch to the fork attachment. He made a bracket, welded it to the fork assembly, drilled holes, and then welded the couplings to each end of the pipe. That is then pinned in place to the hitch. Finally, I attached my 7' wide rake to the quick hitch and, voila, the pond bottom dredger is ready to rock.

This has helped not only get rid of a pretty big amount of FA, but also cleared out all the chara and pondweed around a large portion of the small pond's perimeter. The larger pond's banks are too steep and inaccessable to use it there, but it also has much less of an issue with vegetation once the pondweed dies off for the year. I'm hoping to see some long term impact on the small pond along with the other plans Greg Grimes and I are working on, but as has been said here before, effecting real change in a pond takes a while for results, kind of like steering a big ship.

Anyway, that's it for now. Hope you guys enjoy the update. I look forward to posting more often!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Glad to have you back. What an outstanding job with the farm.

BTW which came first the chicken or the egg?

ewest #473813 06/09/17 08:13 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
LOL! I wondered the same thing. In our controlled experiment with no unknown variables, the chicken definitely came first. grin

We've been having a great time living out here and are looking forward to lots more projects.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd:

Good to see you back on here! That place sure has changed in the past 8 years!!!!

I think you need to work on the deer more - the garden fence is the tell.

Oh, just for you. I pulled this from a wood duck box in April.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Todd, I had been wondering if you still had the Mahindra. Buy the daughter a pair of plain brown cotton gloves for holding the fish. That has worked for every female but my Wife.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
K
Great job on developing the homestead. What a great place to live with your family . Thanks for sharing your pics.

Keifer, a neighbor in sw Pa.

Congrats on the move Todd. I have to admire a man that built a chicken coop nicer than my home.

AL

esshup #473875 06/10/17 10:30 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Todd:

Good to see you back on here! That place sure has changed in the past 8 years!!!!

I think you need to work on the deer more - the garden fence is the tell.

Oh, just for you. I pulled this from a wood duck box in April.

Ah, you're a prince for sharing that, Scott! You remembered my favorite!

As for deer, this guy contributed himself to the cause - and our canning shelf - along with 3 does all now in deer Valhalla. We do our part every season but the little buggers keep making more!

After beetle treatment. He measured out at just under 125, which isn't too bad a deer around here. Biggest one I've ever killed so a PR is always nice!

And this fella is giving them reason to not come around so boldly these days! He's heck on snapping turtles, too, or at least he's pretty sure he is in his own mind!

Todd

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Todd, I had been wondering if you still had the Mahindra. Buy the daughter a pair of plain brown cotton gloves for holding the fish. That has worked for every female but my Wife.

Good idea, Dave! I'll have to give that a shot. I've got a bunch of those around the shop and house. Yep, the Mahindra is the most loved tool in my quiver. Just amazing how much you can do with a good tractor and the right implements.

Todd

Todd La Neve

keifer #473877 06/10/17 10:33 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: keifer
Great job on developing the homestead. What a great place to live with your family . Thanks for sharing your pics.

Keifer, a neighbor in sw Pa.

Thanks, Keffer. It's been fun getting our independent on! Yeah, you're not too far off in SW PA. What's your setup?

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Congrats on the move Todd. I have to admire a man that built a chicken coop nicer than my home.

Hahahaha! Thanks, Al! Yeah, it ended up overbuilt probably, but I planned on never building it again! My dad laughed at me the whole time - though he admired the work along the way - saying our chickens would live better than some of the people around here! The tongue in groove siding may have been over the top, but it was fun putting it all together! I will be staining all of that stuff, the shed included, in the next few days if time and the weather hold out. That plain wood needs protected and the natural color just stands out too much.

Todd

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Whoa! Rumors in this part of WV were that you had gone into the defense lawyer protection program. grin

Things really look great at your place.

We need to find a time and place to get together.

Welcome back.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd, I'm glad that you traded the concrete jungle for a greener one. Good shooting!! That one still has the hindquarters intact. LOL That's a great buck, even for around here. I'll bet the stress level is lower now that you are out in the country!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #473976 06/12/17 04:13 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah, the hindquarters were just fine on that one and every other one I've killed out here! Just a shame that a guy hits a bad shot once and that's all he's remembered for! grin grin grin

Yeah, living out is just so much nicer. Always something to do, something to learn, and it's pretty much always a very welcome break from the sort of thinking I have to do most of the other time!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good to hear the updates, Chicken-man! Looks like you've settled into the country thing real well. As an atty, do you find coveralls or a 3 piece more comfortable when operating the Mahindra?

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Very nice to see your place, Todd. Even better to see the kids growing up and being shown that there is more to life than an xbox atari gameboy whatever. Last time I saw you holding a bass that big was in North Carolina. Clearly Condello's technique of photographing fish has caught on!!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Good to hear the updates, Chicken-man! Looks like you've settled into the country thing real well. As an atty, do you find coveralls or a 3 piece more comfortable when operating the Mahindra?

I don't own any coveralls yet, so the suit gets the nod in this comparison test, but wingtips can be a little slick climbing on board when they get muddy! Yes, we are definitely settled in for the long haul and loving it!

Todd La Neve

Victor #474022 06/12/17 10:17 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Victor
Very nice to see your place, Todd. Even better to see the kids growing up and being shown that there is more to life than an xbox atari gameboy whatever. Last time I saw you holding a bass that big was in North Carolina. Clearly Condello's technique of photographing fish has caught on!!!!

Hey, roomie! Yeah, we didn't even know what we had in the one pond till a few years ago and now we fish there a good bit. The Condello technique just makes a big fish look its best, baby! no cheating there! You're right about the electronics. Aside from a little Call of Duty now and then, outside is the place to be around here.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd, it's always the spectacular shots that are remembered, and spectacular doesn't always have to be in a "good" way either.

I'm glad to see the updates and the progress that you've made - it's been a long journey, but a satisfying one!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #474071 06/13/17 01:24 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
LOL! Yeah, that one fit the description of spectacular, for sure! I still think it was those hot loads you sent me to test out!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well ...

I'm sure glad to see Todd posting again. With Brettski, Victor, and other long lost souls checking in, can it get any more nostalgic? Where are DIED, JHAP, Burgermiester...

Todd -- I sure wish you had posted those photos of your front-end rake attachment about 60 days ago. I sold my pair of pallet forks (for my MAHINDRA tractor) about two months ago for $75 because I hadn't used them for a number of years. I had never thought of using them the way your friend used them to make that pond rake attachment. That design should be turned into a Pond Boss Magazine article, even if it only includes some photos. It is brilliant.

Ken

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That one lands at my feet, my friend! I was too slow and it's my fault - I'll send you $75 towards your next set of forks! grin

You gave me the idea when we were talking once several years ago. I didn't have any success using the rake on my 3 point hitch as the whole thing raised above the bottom contour as the tractor climbed the edge of the pond. I think you pointed me to a post on TractorbyNet where a guy rigged up a plow on his FEL.

I bought a used 6' bucket to connect the quick hitch to but my friend gave the idea some thought and suggested the forks would be a much better option with greater reach. I've used it once so far on the small pond and it's amazing what it has done. There was a huge amount of FA around the entire perimeter - and throughout a lot of the center - so I went in along the dam reaching out probably 8 to 10 feet and not only scooped the FA, but also essentially dredged the bottom removing a lot of years of built up muck. After a few days when all the disturbance settled out, I realized that there was virtually no FA any longer in the areas I was able to reach.

If the Boss feels it would be worthwhile, I'd be happy to work up an article on it for the magazine with lots of pics of the rake assembly and a good discussion of what we did.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd --

I won't take you up on your offer of $75 for another set of forks grin -- but maybe I'll let you pick up the ticket for our next lunch, DUI hearing, bait box, whatever ... cry

I'm just glad you are back.

As for the rake, I think you already posted most all of of what Bob needs for a great article about your rake project. You may want to think about patent for that rake.

I'll send notes to Bob and the Pond Boss staff to make sure you don't get off the hook on getting this published.

I've slowed my participation on PB a lot. Lynda and I are not exactly sure where we are heading -- but we know it will be exciting. (See Moving On).

However, Lynda and I plan to be at Pond Boss VII in October.

Lastly, as more Updates from WV:
As a WV pond owner, you may or may not know that about two years ago, WV eliminated nearly all support for aquaculture at all levels due to budgets. Dr. Ken Semmens was fired. Everything he managed at WVU was eliminated even though it was profitable through projects like where I volunteered. He now works for Kentucky State University in a similar capacity. I'm no longer an officer of the West Virginia Aquaculture Association because we too have been disbanded. Our WV DNR became part of the State Police.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think it would be interesting to fabricate a different attachment system for the rake, one that didn't utilize the forks, and provided for full use of the curl function. A crude backhoe of sorts, just not as versatile or maneuverable.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I think it would be interesting to fabricate a different attachment system for the rake, one that didn't utilize the forks, and provided for full use of the curl function. A crude backhoe of sorts, just not as versatile or maneuverable.

Spark, the setup as I have it does actually allow for full curl on the FEL - there is not lost mobility and that's one of the best things I learned about this setup when first using it. Maybe I'm not quite following your point and, if not, sorry for the confusion. I know you know a little something about fabricating so it may just be something I don't completely follow you on since I am NOT a fabricator!

Todd La Neve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday