Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (J. E. Craig, AlexJ, BCR Pond, Rick O, Pat Williamson, Bruno616), 740 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Will finally be installing a brand new triple diffuser Kasco system in my pond this weekend. I will have to attach several pieces of weighted hose together. My silly question is... What happens if I accidently get water in my air hose during installation. What damage will it do? will it just blow out? My hoses will have to reach about 150 ft each.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
So long as the water does not contain any debris larger than the diffuser "holes" or air passages it should be a non-issue. The water will just be blown out once the system is turned on. I suspect systems that get turned off allow water to seep back into the line as the air pressure backs off, but the diffuser would act like a filter and not allow anything into the line that could clog the interior of the diffuser.

Disclaimer: I don't know pond aerators, just my 1/2 cent.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
B
having to large of an inside diameter of a hose/pipe can be an issue,
and
having to small of an inside diameter of a hose/pipe can also be an issue.

to large diameter, and not enough veloicty (think MPH in vehicle) of how fast air is moving through hose/pipe. and the air will not move fast enough to fully clear out the hose/pipe.

to small diameter. and you are creating a lot of extra friction loss resulting in less air getting to the diffuser/s

============
running air hoses up and then back down. U shape or even upside down U. can create spots were an "air lock" occurs. this can require much more air pressure from pump to push the water out.

diaphragm pumps. as the diaphragm begins to were out. and they do wear out. will create less pressure. and you may find after a power outage or turning pump on/off. that it will no longer pump air down to diffusers. if you raise diffusers up higher towards surface of water, the pump will begin pumping air to diffusers. more of tale tell sign that diaphragm is wearing down pretty good.

having say a tire nipple / valve stem for say a car/truck/bicycle tire plumbed in line, between your pump and diffusers, might help you quickly check air pressure and have something to gauge what is going on with the system.

S
S
Water will invariably collect in low spots. Even from moisture from the air.

I have not found it to be a problem.

If there is lots for some reason, it will take a while to purge because the water will not flow out the diaphragm holes as fast as air.

That is my experience with 9" round Matala membrane type. No experience with other types.

If you have a pump capable of producing significant pressure and flow, I could see where a line full of water could rupture the membrane on startup because of over pressure. I would regulate the pressure not to exceed the water depth pressure (depth in feet x .5) plus a couple psi so the water has time to flow out the tiny holes slowly without balooning up the membrane and stretching it or bursting it. Might take several minutes before seeing air bubbles, giving time for the water to work its way out. A pressure gauge and valve bleeding off excess air would do the trick. Once you see constant bubbles then give full air flow.

Last edited by snrub; 06/13/17 10:26 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM