Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#472993 05/31/17 06:59 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I have quite a bit of FA floating in my pond, so for the last week I have been raking out 1 or 2 wheelbarrows each night after work. Just wondering if there has been any study or just peoples experience as to weather I'm wasting my time or if this has any effect on the amount of available nutrients in my pond.

I helped a friend seine out a lot of FA from a 1/2 acre pond once in the spring/early summer. The pond was only 6 foot deep at its deepest so it was an older pond that had silted in some and had a dam leak that kept it shallow. We removed a couple pickup loads at least. The FA came back in full force within a month or so. I know we removed nutrients from the pond, but my thought is, how can you physically remove enough from an older silted pond? Yes, we removed some, but it was not one time deal. I believe that raking the FA out is only a small part in battling the slime, but does yield a certain amount of time that the pond looks better. The effort we exerted was not worth it to my friend to do again, but that would be in the eyes of the beholders and the strength of their backs.

I am no expert on the stuff, but think that a deeper pond will have less FA, other established plant life in the pond can reduce the light getting to the bottom where FA starts its life cycle, reducing the amount of fertilizers running into the pond at least keeps nutrient levels from increasing, and physical removal will help the pond's esthetics even if only temporary. I am sure their are other methods to help diminish the slime, maybe the more experienced here on PB can add to my short list and be more specific than my limited knowledge allows.

Fish on!,
Noel
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If there is enough nitrogen, a pound of phosphorous will grow 500 pounds of algae.....

So, the short answer is the best way to help with the algae problem in the silted in pond is a renovation. Not the answer you wanted to hear, but........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
That's interesting I was having some of the same thoughts. I have been trying to keep some of it removed thinking that some is better than none. I am afraid I may run out of the battle soon. Mine is the water net variety so it is a little different than what I have seen on here. I will continue to remove some as I can but not sure where it ends.
One think I have studied some is the use of Alum for this. I understand it locks the phos and makes it unavailable. I dont know if this is something Rex has done for this purpose or if it is just an added advantage when used for clearing. My pond seems clear other than the tannin and the algae.
I am also of the believe that part of my issue is my alkalinity is low. I am working to get some ag lime in as soon as possible. I think with a normal plankton bloom things will be better than all the nutrients going to the FA. I will also work to get some plants in place to help.
I have found this year there is not been a break on work on the pond. With all the rain I got a good flush but it must have brought in more nutrients as well.
good luck
Dave

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
C
C
Remember fish can act as a good 'nutrient sink' and be removed too. Tilapia if allowed in your area do a perfect job of this and even die on cue for you at the proper time in the fall!

otherwise it is manually dragging or dredging the bottom nutrients, leaves etc, and establishing desirable plants that suck nutrients into making new plant growth.

I don't understand this topic enough but a small lake near me is becoming quite eutrophic, almost swamp like. Filling in rapidly and I assume some lawn runoff phosphorous may have contributed in the past. There is increasing number of weeds and cattails typical of any wetland, yet the water is as crystal clear as I've seen and there is no FA at all. Perhaps the rooted underwater plants and shore plants are consuming the nutrients.

W
OP Offline
W
I am planning a renovation, hopefully this summer. I have been doing a lot of reading to try and determine which plants to get started after the renovation. Hoping to do it right this time.

I'm not doing a lot of work, about 20 min each night, so I guess I will keep doing it and hope I make a dent in it.

D
D
I am no pond expert nor try to be but I do know water treatment.

I believe that if you tie up the nutrients out of the water column the FA will have little to grow on. If the phosphates need to be soluble for the FA to grow you could be in luck to tie up the bond with calcium.

This would make calcium phosphate and be a heavier molecule that would settle to the bottom of the pond where plants could use it. Plants make their own acid to break down chemical bonds so they can absorb nutrients.

If FA can do the same you would be out of luck.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Dono, what form of calcium would you add to tie up the phosphates?

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM