Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Alan from Ga, RAMMAN13, PeteMi, SatiLeigh, OutdoorMatt
14676 Registered Users
Forum Stats
14677 Members
36 Forums
34003 Topics
465784 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 23560
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18609
Dave Davidson1 12854
Theo Gallus 12318
Who's Online
20 registered (djstauder, BobbyRice, canyoncreek, FireIsHot, Quarter Acre, RC51, kimber45, james holt, big_pond, DonoBBD, Shawk, SetterGuy, wbuffetjr, Custom 68, Shorty, Sunil, Flame, dreams of ponds, scott69, mbj4ksu), 225 Guests and 409 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#470426 - 04/26/17 09:03 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Flame Online   content

Loc: Deep East Texas
You have to boil those pigeons a lot before eating...and even then they can be pretty tough!! Need a lot of seasoning.

#470491 - 04/26/17 07:36 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Flame]
stickem' Offline

Loc: S.E. Texas, Polk Co.
Watched the fish feed when the afternoon time approached. Again, had 3 large explosions amongst the forage fish feeding. Third day straight that this has happened. I think the LMB are starting to take advantage. Exciting stuff...

#470539 - 04/27/17 09:00 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: stickem']
Pat Williamson Offline

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Just think Charlie one day soon you will have one of those bad boys on the end of a fishing pole. Now that will be fun and make all the hard work and worry worthwhile! Good job

#471404 - 05/08/17 11:21 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
RC51 Online   content
Ambassador
Lunker

Loc: Arkansas
Well my old bait / fish cage finally fell apart. So we had a 30 gallon blue barrel left over from the old dock we decided to make into a bait cage. My Dad cut it down drilled the holes in and put the handles on and now we got a plastic cage that should last us a while.

We also restored a old iron bench I had that was falling apart and painted and put new wood in it for sitting around the fire outside.

RC

Attachments
New bait cage.jpg (95 downloads)
Bait cage.jpg (74 downloads)
Bench1.jpg (76 downloads)
Bench.jpg (71 downloads)

You don't just wake up great one day. That's not the way it works. What you get out of life is directly what you put into it. So if you think you can cut corners skip workouts and deny your body the fuel it needs think again! We've got work to do!!

#471407 - 05/08/17 11:35 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Nice work RC.

#471412 - 05/08/17 12:51 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Quarter Acre Online   content

Loc: West Central Missouri
RC, I love the bait cage. I think I will be making one before next year when I need to check my fish stocking so that no unwanted fish get put in the pond. Maybe I'll add some floatation to it so that doesn't get out of hand while sorting fish. Thanks for the ideas.

This weekend I waded out into my pond for the first time. I needed to relocate some FHM pallets that I underestimated the needed weight to hold them down. For a job that should have been done right the first time I still enjoyed the time at the pond. I wore chest waders and managed to keep my socks dry, they were the only dry garments, but at least I did not fumble and fill the waders completely.

#471420 - 05/08/17 01:39 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
RC51 Online   content
Ambassador
Lunker

Loc: Arkansas
No problem Quarter, ideas is what this site is all about. The bait cage stayed in place but felt a little light so I just took and put a flat 6 or 7 inch by 2 inch round rock in the bottom and bingo no problems. It was staying put without the rock but the little extra weight just insured it stayed put.

RC
You don't just wake up great one day. That's not the way it works. What you get out of life is directly what you put into it. So if you think you can cut corners skip workouts and deny your body the fuel it needs think again! We've got work to do!!

#471425 - 05/08/17 02:13 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: RC51]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
I like both projects.

I had thought about using a plastic barrel like that for structural strength but make the holes very big with basically a skeleten of the barrel left then cover it with half inch plastic mesh.

Edited by snrub (05/08/17 02:14 PM)

#472156 - 05/18/17 09:08 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
canyoncreek Online   content

Loc: West Michigan
I was very happy to see the eastern box turtles coming out of the woods and heading to somewhere maybe to lay eggs? This time of year we see them crossing the roads near our house and we work hard to save them from getting hit. The bus driver alerted me to a nice big one up the road a ways and I was able to save that one. I saw another one heading across the road this morning.

They are threatened species here. The only turtle around here that has a hinge in the hard surface on the bottom shell that allows it to completely seal off the area between the shells at the head and the tail. I understand they live for years often right in the same geographical area. Hopefully we can keep that pattern going.

#472158 - 05/18/17 09:21 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Bing Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Fayette County Illinois
I've helped many box turtles cross the road around where I live. I once thought that I would relocate some of them into the middle of my CRP forest to protect them, but I have read not to relocate them, it seems they get very familiar with the limited area where they live and moving them often confuses them and they do not survive.

Sushi is fish for men who do not know how to build a fire.

#472165 - 05/18/17 10:26 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Loc: Dallas & Wills Point, Tx
Last weekend and this coming weekend I am adding more solar spotlights, this time to trees.

Looks really cool at night....wires and electricity be damned! (lol)

Fishing has never been about the fish....

#472177 - 05/18/17 11:29 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
beastman Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Does it get enough sun under the trees to charge? Would think the shade is an issue?

I placed some glass solar lanterns hanging from 4 dock post , looks really nice.

#472179 - 05/18/17 12:05 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

beastman....it's a tree by tree decision...but we are not talking about that many trees. I keep most of my trees near the pond trimmed up at least 6-8 feet which allows the tree trunk to get direct sun....so before placing the solar light I watch how much sun a tree gets. I also have a few in the ground with the stake that comes with it, but the ones in the ground can be hit by mowers and weed-eaters. it's all good cool

#472181 - 05/18/17 12:07 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]

Was walking in the back yard and heard a bubbling noise coming from not far away. Went over to check and saw air bubbles and water coming up through the grass. oh no? underground sprinkling leak? the system was off! Maybe the main energized loop was leaking but no digging in this area and the main loop was not there either...

Did some digging. Found I have a long run of 4" pvc drain tile from house gutters passes through that area. There is plenty of slope to allow the pvc to drain in the woods about 40 feet away. The connections on the pvc are not glued, just pressed together. I figure there must be an obstruction.

Sure enough, went and took the PVC screen/cap off the end and a lot of water was backing up along with leaves/debris. cleared that out..

Now, if I put the pvc green cover back on I'm in the same boat again. if I keep it open then maybe critters will climb up it? It is a long run, uphill, about 150 feet of pipe back to the house. I'm not so good about scheduling routine cleanout of the pvc year around, so is there a solution?

Is there a different cap I can put on that lets most of the debris out but not rodents in?

I guess for now I'll leave the end open and hope our dog keeps anything on 4 legs that fits up that pipe away. Since he has learned how to 'stalk' squirrels and birds instead of barking furiously and charging at them he has been much more effective at keeping anything on 4 legs away!

#472183 - 05/18/17 12:19 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Is there a different cap I can put on that lets most of the debris out but not rodents in?

I would think it will be difficult to have a complete
rodent barrier that won't trap at least some debris:

https://www.agridrain.com/shop/c31/external-guards/p96/4-external-rodent-guard/

https://www.menards.com/main/pipe-tubing...44451527648.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Varmint-Guard-Fits-Schedule-Pipe/dp/B00BPPXNB2

Edited by Zep (05/18/17 12:20 PM)

#472184 - 05/18/17 12:21 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
If you go to that pond piping place that has been linked to several times before theymake a thing called a rat guard. I know they make it for bigger pond overflow pipes like 8", but don't know if they make them for smaller pipes.

Here ya go. pond dam piping ltd

#472190 - 05/18/17 02:52 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]

Many thanks for the help. I have something like the green flat top one in the attached picture. Probably the rat guard with spikes is the thing I'll try next but I was thinking of something easy to push in and pull out without requiring my drill and screws. Maybe one of those aluminum mesh that they would wad up and put in the downspout of your gutter to prevent leaves going down that you push in and pull out?

Attachments
grate options.PNG (34 downloads)

#472193 - 05/18/17 03:48 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
bassmaster61 Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO/West Central Ill...
https://www.agridrain.com/shop/c52/bar-guards,-standard/

Canyoncreek.....try the link above for a rodent/trash guard from agridrain. push in/pull out. BM61

Edited by bassmaster61 (05/18/17 03:49 PM)

#472194 - 05/18/17 04:00 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]

love it BM61, just what I needed. Thanks!

#472257 - 05/19/17 09:48 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
bassmaster61 Offline

CCreek....I had to get the 18 incher for our overflow pipe as I was advised grass carp would follow moving water and I didn't want to lose any of the ones just stocked with all the rain we had here this spring. Going to buy one for an 8 inch overflow at another pond we are trying to manage as well.

It works well so far, is built sturdy and hasn't had a problem getting clogged with trash. I am sure I will need to pull it and clean it from time to time, especially in the spring, but doesn't seem like it will be too much of a hassle. It pops in and out easily. BM61.

#472267 - 05/19/17 11:02 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

bassmaster61

Agri-Drain makes a great sturdy product & it's relatively cheap.

I have their drain guards on two ponds.

#472268 - 05/19/17 11:06 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Zep]
Tbar Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Zep
Last weekend and this coming weekend I am adding more solar spotlights, this time to trees.

Looks really cool at night....wires and electricity be damned! (lol)

I bet that looks really nice at night!

Mark, you have a premier property in east Texas. It is very, very nice. My wife and I enjoyed seeing it.

#472270 - 05/19/17 11:16 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Tbar]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Thanks Tbar....like everyone on PondBoss knows well, our properties are a labor of love. It was great having you and your wife stop by. Next time ya gotta stay for a Hebrew National Hotdog! The solar lights do look cool at night. I could even see them a little on my Blink camera last night for the first time.

#472285 - 05/19/17 04:21 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
basslover Offline

Loc: USA
You could just cap the 4" PVC and drill a few various size holes to allow water to exit but not allow rodents to enter.

#472289 - 05/19/17 05:11 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
bassmaster61 Offline

Zep.....exactly the one we have.....except ours is in yellow. I like the way it works and easy to handle. Looks like yours is an 18 incher as well or close to it. Really makes my life easier. Quality product. Thanks. BM61.

Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >

Today's Birthdays
Custom 68, fklakes, spence gatewood
Recent Posts
Shoreline Plant ID Help
by Quarter Acre
0 seconds ago
Big Blue
by RC51
9 minutes 23 seconds ago
A please for desperation !
by big_pond
10 minutes 29 seconds ago
lime reaction time
by DonoBBD
10 minutes 50 seconds ago
Canadian fish food.
by DonoBBD
12 minutes 57 seconds ago
Thoughts? Grass, carp, depth, mini excavator-PICS
by Shawk
13 minutes 59 seconds ago
Water color
by canyoncreek
31 minutes 36 seconds ago
Submerged feeder. (AquaPro)
by SetterGuy
34 minutes 35 seconds ago
Anyone know where to get alum near Baton Rouge?
by Dave Davidson1
Today at 06:46 AM
Managing Crappie and LMB at the same time
by james holt
Today at 02:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Anyone seen this before?
Sunfish id
Battling Ducks and Geese
At a Friends pond
Fish ID help please
Is this the start of a FA bloom?