Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 650 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#471584 05/10/17 07:52 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Last weekend my grandson and I ran a 40' sein in water depths to 4 foot. We did two runs on the same end of the pond but different areas and captured cnbg to 1", and 1 - 4" Res along with several 2.5" TFS. We had a few 2" fish jump the net but they were shaped like cnbg. We had no lmb fry sampled. I am going to do another sein this week. I may try it during late evening. And I have seen no lmb fry swimming in the pond. This looks to be my second year with no lmb recruitment. You know, after being on this site for 2 and a half years where most every lmb pond reported, has way to many poor, small lmb. I thought I would tell of pond that does not follow the norm.

Questions anyone ? smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #471589 05/10/17 08:40 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
That is strange unless you are getting some and, they are just getting ate and the few you have left are not where you are netting. I think I had a record spawn this year... I know I've seen at least 20 or 30 4 or 5 inchers by the dock and I caught one the other night that was about 6 or 7 inches. I'm afraid I have to many... lol

The question is if they are not spawning why? What is wrong in the pond for none of them to try? Or try and fail...

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
TGW1 #471606 05/10/17 12:24 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You may be a little early. Keep trying for the next mth. If no LMB fry (which can and does happen)then you need to determine the problem. Will be glad to help. Are you getting yoy BG fry ? What is the seine mesh size ? I can dig up some science on the reasons if you like.

Last edited by ewest; 05/10/17 12:26 PM.

TGW1 #471665 05/11/17 06:36 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the offer of the science, I think the science behind this pond is the pond is loaded with cnbg and res and tfs. And I recently added 30 pounds of fhm's and Tp for the expected lmb hatch. Pond also has some HSB up to 17"s. I think the lmb hatch has been eaten up again this year. And yes were are seeing two new sizes of new cnbg babies. The sein size? I am not sure but the holes were small enough to catch minnows. Timing, this is getting real close to when fisheries start selling 2.5 to 3 lmb fry around here. I thought this might make an interesting post because it has been different from what is posted here 99% of the time when it comes to lmb.

Tracy
TGW1 #471666 05/11/17 07:13 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Last weekend my grandson and I ran a 40' sein in water depths to 4 foot. We did two runs on the same end of the pond but different areas and captured cnbg to 1", and 1 - 4" Res along with several 2.5" TFS. We had a few 2" fish jump the net but they were shaped like cnbg. We had no lmb fry sampled. I am going to do another sein this week. I may try it during late evening. And I have seen no lmb fry swimming in the pond. This looks to be my second year with no lmb recruitment. You know, after being on this site for 2 and a half years where most every lmb pond reported, has way to many poor, small lmb. I thought I would tell of pond that does not follow the norm.

Questions anyone ? smile

I don't have results yet from this years spawn, but it appears my pond is acting the same way Tracy.

I see no reason my LMB do not create the fry. My current theory is that the BG just wipe them all out. I have not caught a small LMB since the original fish were stocked. Toss out a LMB pattern smallest size crank bait and the BG are all over it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
TGW1 #471680 05/11/17 09:51 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would not be to sure the LMB fry/yoy are all being eaten ! There are often many angles to a problem. Have you seen any LMB fry ?

TGW1 #471724 05/11/17 08:00 PM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
ewest, about 4 to 6 weeks ago I saw a picture posted here from Al(fireishot) of 5 or so lmb fry he located in his pond, and shortly after that I saw the almost exact same in my pond, where they had been in some of the flooded veggies in about 2" of water along the shoreline. Those 5 or so is all I have seen and with all the forage in my pond and with little to no place for the lmb fry to hide, I am pretty sure they were an easy meal. I placed some brush piles along the shoreline after that and now I can watch the 3 and 4" cnbg feed on any fry on the outside of the brush piles. I do have gams and fhm fry along with cnbg fry and maybe some res fry because of different sizes of cnbg, and res yoy in the pond. A little lmb history of the pond. The first lmb fry were added in June of 15 and performed a survey in early March of 16 we shocked up 4 lmb, so very little survival of lmb fry or yoy lmb in 2015. We restocked 85 - 8" to 12" yoy lmb shortly after that survey in 2016 and we surveyed again March 6th of 17 and we shocked up 27 lmb. The average RW/WR was 124 at that time. I believe that lack of lmb survival in 2014 and 15 gave the cnbg and res a big jump in stocking the pond with forage. especially since we had already did a heavy stocking prior to adding any lmb to the pond. There is no vegetative cover in the pond for the lmb fry to hide.

Snrub, we may be in the same place for sure.

Last edited by TGW1; 05/11/17 08:06 PM.

Tracy
TGW1 #471725 05/11/17 08:44 PM
I wonder if you have discovered a pitfall of pellet feeding. Maybe the pellet fed CNBG population has exploded well beyond the pond's normal capacity to support due to the extra forage (pellets) and has thrown the balance of LMB to CNBG way off to the point that the CNBG are suppressing all LMB recruitment? Maybe harvest a bunch of CNBG and stock some 8+ inch LMB? An electro shock sampling might prove enlightening on LMB to CNBG ratio.

On the flip side, your existing LMB ought to be growing like crazy! smile

Just a theory. The pros may chime in and say I'm all wet. I'm ok with that. I can learn something and I'm sure I will eventually dry out!

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/11/17 09:11 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
TGW1 #471735 05/12/17 05:31 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bill, We are having similar thoughts here smile Now as far as an E survey, we recently completed one in early March and as I said, the average Wr/Rw on those lmb was 124. That's pretty good and is headed in the right direction for a Trophy lmb pond where the lmb are few per acre but show some good growth. The cnbg and res samples at that time showed few fish in the 1 to 3" range along with the pond having good numbers of 4" and up. I think the lmb had been feeding on those 1 to 3" cnbg through the winter and that is why numbers of those size were low. Today after a few rolling spawns, I see a lot of 1 to 3" cnbg.
And I will be adding 100 lbs of 8 to 12" lmb in the next two weeks. I am doing this because of no lmb recruitment has been seen, and I don't want to be where all my lmb die of old age at the same time and leave the pond baron of lmb in the future. At some point in the future, I think the lmb will balance out as long as there is some management.

Last edited by TGW1; 05/12/17 05:33 AM.

Tracy
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I wonder if you have discovered a pitfall of pellet feeding. Maybe the pellet fed CNBG population has exploded well beyond the pond's normal capacity to support due to the extra forage (pellets) and has thrown the balance of LMB to CNBG way off to the point that the CNBG are suppressing all LMB recruitment? Maybe harvest a bunch of CNBG and stock some 8+ inch LMB? An electro shock sampling might prove enlightening on LMB to CNBG ratio.

On the flip side, your existing LMB ought to be growing like crazy! smile

Just a theory. The pros may chime in and say I'm all wet. I'm ok with that. I can learn something and I'm sure I will eventually dry out!

Hmmm interesting theory.... but I been feeding sense 2011 I have CNBG everywhere... and I still have baby lmb. I would continue to think still maybe not enough of the right cover for them? Plus I only supplement feed so I know my BG are hungry and I still have baby lmb. So with that said what is different.... Here is my situation and then you can compare.

1. My water has been very high this year during the spawn. So I think fry have plenty of grass to hide in... / sticks.

2. My pond is 1 acre and I have 8 brush piles in it and one decent size dock for fish to hide in. A big area of cinder blocks and about 5 tires laid around the pond.

3. My pond does not have a very big slope to it, it's pretty shallow for the first 3 or 4 feet. I think this helps as well making it harder for predator fish to get up into the shallows.

I don't know just thinking out loud is all.

Good Luck Tracy

RC

Last edited by RC51; 05/12/17 10:57 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
TGW1 #471783 05/13/17 05:18 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for your info RC. I think what happened or is happening in my pond was due to lack of predators for the first 18 months of the pond. This allowed many spawns of cnbg and res. I also think when someone starts a pond up with high forage rates (as I did), they should start out with advanced lmb for stocking. I could be wrong but if I did it all over again, I would use advanced fingerlings or yoy lmb for first time stocking.

Tracy
TGW1 #471806 05/13/17 07:10 PM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
For those interested, I received some information I had never read before on lmb reproduction suppression through bg numbers. Ewest was kind enough to make this informative study available to me for reading. Maybe when he gets the time, he can post up the study if he get a chance.

Thank you ewest for all you do here to assist we pond guys and gals.

Tracy
TGW1 #471895 05/15/17 11:11 AM
Tracy, I was treating water leaf this morning, and all the 3-4" LMB I found were buried deep in the shallowest available cover. They were cruising with the yoy CNBG. Other than the fry, these were the first yoy LMB I've seen this year.

Pretty sure that if I didn't have shoreline vegetation, they'd be Scooby Snacks for the larger LMB. I guess eat, or be eaten.

AL

TGW1 #471961 05/16/17 06:43 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
That's cool Al. I love to watch the pond for fry. I watch most everyday, I can walk the pond and or just set at the pond for hours. I don't have to catch a fish to enjoy the pond. I do get a little frustrated every now and then with things that reduce my chances of getting me to my pond goals. Attempting to grow out some really nice lmb along with some nice hsb, is not as easy as I once thought. Who ever knew too many cnbg could crowd out lmb? I did not know that. lol

Tracy
TGW1 #472003 05/16/17 10:56 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
As per Tracy's request - some parts of a study.

Behavioral Suppression of Spawning in Largemouth Bass
by Interspecific Competition for Space
Within Spawning Areas
STEPHEN LEE SMITH
Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission
Eustis, Florida 32726

ABSTRACT
Florida largemouth bass ,Micropterus salmoides florldanus, fail to spawn in association with
Dense populations of stunted sunfish. A recent study indicated that a "physical factor" rather
than a chemical factor may be responsible.
Three hatchery ponds containing marked bass were stocked at different points in the bass
Reproductive cycle with concentrations of sunfish known to suppress spawning. It was determined
that reduced or complete inhibition of spawning of largemouth bass is related to interspecific
population densities in the spawning area and is behavioral in nature. Suppression is linked to
aggressive interaction with other species ,primarily affects the male bass, and is effective in
suppressing the spawning behavior sequence even before nest construction.

As early as 1964 it was noted that Florida
Largemouth bass , ,
failed to produce a year class in several
eutrophic Florida lakes with large populations
of sunfishes (Lepomis spp.) (Horel 1964).
Chew (1972) further documented this phenomenon
and determined that reproductive
failure was due to "a refusal of the adult population
to spawn" and was characterized in the
female by the "retention of enlarged, ripened
ovaries long past the spawning period." He
found that the condition could be reproduced
in hatchery ponds and attributed reproductive
inhibition to the "excretion and build-up of
a hormone-like repressive factor by overcrowded
bream and forage species
Other workers have reported the failure of
largemouth bass to spawn in the presence of
large numbers of sunfish and concluded that
failure was due to either sunfish predation on
the eggs (Swingle and Smith 1943) or to a
repressive factor excreted by sunfishes which inhibited spawning (Swingle 1956; Chew
1974).
Barwick and Holcomb (1976) were the first
to indicate that some other factor may be
responsible. By segregation of bass and sunfish
while allowing free flow of water between areas
they obtained successful bass reproduction
and concluded that suppression of spawning
was probably not due to a chemical substance
excreted into the water. It was postulated
that "lack of reproduction was apparently
associated with a physical factor that in some
way interrupted normal bass breeding activity."
The study reported here was an attempt
to determine the nature of this "physical
factor" and the point in the reproductive cycle
at which it is effective.

The observations reported here indicate that
reduced or complete inhibition of spawning
of largemouth bass is linked to aggressive
interaction with other species primarily affects
the male bass, and is effective in suppressing
the spawning behavior sequence even before
nest building.

TGW1 #472037 05/16/17 06:49 PM
Thanks Ewest,

Very interesting info. From this study, one of my takeaways is that the ratio of BG to LMB is not necessarily the more BG the better. There is a tipping point to the balance.

Tracy,

IMO, whether this study applies directly to your situation or not, you are on the right path stocking more LMB. Are you planning to harvest any CNBG?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
TGW1 #472055 05/17/17 06:00 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks ewest for the post up. I believe one or more of the mentioned reproduction suppression situations have come into play @ my pond. I have learned or am learning that lake or pond management does not always go in the desired direction.

Bill, yes I have started some harvesting of the mid sized cnbg (6 to 7"). I moved 35 to my daughters 1/3rd acre pond last week. Maybe I wont screw her pond up but I would not bet on it. And I don't believe fishing for these cnbg will noticeably reduce the numbers of cnbg. They just make two many babies @ 5 spawns per year. I will have to rely on the lmb and the hsb to reduce the numbers. Oh well, the predators should grow to the max this year. At the last PBC I learned of "Couch Potato Bass" and I think I may have some of those smile

Ewest, Thanks again for the posting of the studies so others may learn. It was the first time I had read of such things. I will say that Clint at Overton's fisheries told me in March of 16, after a survey, that I may run into this lack of reproduction problem. The guys I have worked with @ Overton's, Todd, Clint and Walt know there stuff and recognized what might happen before it did. I just hoped for the best

Last edited by TGW1; 05/17/17 06:17 AM.

Tracy
TGW1 #472061 05/17/17 06:59 AM
F
F
Tracy, can you fill me in on what a "couch potato bass" might be? I am finding it strange that with all my cnbg like your pond, the lmb I catch are still under 100% relative weight. I simply think with all the easy food they have become lazy.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
TGW1 #472065 05/17/17 07:38 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow and I thought I had a LOT of BG and I still have baby bass. So you guys must have a TON of BG lol....

So I guess that bass are basically just saying there are waaaay to many BG so forget it.... like they don't feel safe in even trying cause they know there gonna get it.... so they just give up.

That's interesting...

So in turn then I guess that tells me that my BG population must not be to bad off as I do have some small 5 inch bass...

Cool info Eric.... thanks,

RC

TGW1 #472073 05/17/17 09:11 AM
Tracy,

Does this mean you are not going to add more forage this season?

Also, have you caught female LMB with eggs lately?

This is interesting to me. If you collect the data, you could be an example for the books to be updated or reconfirmed.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you added too much forage to start with and mother nature took over. It will be interesting to see what the experts say.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
TGW1 #472081 05/17/17 10:11 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
BG stunting and no LMB reproduction are symptoms of the same situation. That is why many stocking suggestions warn of letting the BG and other forage get to far out in front of the predators. Stocking is not the same in all areas of the country and the more species you use the more difficult it is to manage the situation.

Note its not just BG/sunfish that can create this result. Tilapia have also been noted to cause the same result and probably other species could as well.

S
S
Very interesting. Had never heard of that.

It may be what happening in my main pond.

I'm going to let it go one more year and see how it plays out.

My forage stocking was in March 2013 and the LMB and CC went in later that September.

I did add 100 f1 LMB fingerlings (about 4") last fall but hard to tell if any survived predation. My hope was the BG forage was so plentiful a few of the new LMB would make it.

My back up plan is if I still see no improvement by next year I can use my sediment pond as a grow out pond for some more LMB fingerlings, raise them to a size to escape predation, then catch and transfer to the main pond. Might get some HSB at same time. Sediment pond currently has 10 adult and some stocked fingerling RES that hopefully will spawn and fill it with RES recruitments this year. Plus whatever BG have swam upstream during high water (I observed 3 2-3" BG so am sure more made it) will be spawning size by fall. No predators in the sediment pond so it should work good to grow out fingerling LMB.

Last edited by snrub; 05/17/17 10:59 AM.

John

TGW1 #472088 05/17/17 11:29 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I think this is kinda ironic. Most time were talking about how to get rid of the pesky LMB as we have to many...lol

RC

RC51 #472096 05/17/17 12:11 PM
S
S
And you and I probably will be too, in a few years. laugh

I'm just going to be like John Monroe and be happy with what I got in the mean time.

Life is good, even if it doesn't always conform to our wishes.

John

TGW1 #472098 05/17/17 01:42 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Balance in BG/LMB ponds is , as I have said many times, like trying to balance on the edge of a knife blade. Balance is not a natural state. The 2 natural states are BG crowded or LMB crowded and ponds move on a spectrum between the 2 depending on the bio system status and management.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails