Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
I have gotten great pond advice on this forum so I figured why not look for some other advice. I am always looking for advice from older generations who have been there done that so to speak. I started working in the gas/oil fields at 18 years old. I have taken every opportunity offered and have worked every extra hour given and was glad for it. Now me and my wife will both be turning 30 this year and our children will be 6,3,and 1. I have bought and paid for a decent sized farm "and built an awesome pond" in my home state of Arkansas, but we are never there due to the nature of my work. Needless to say this style of work is really beginning to wear on our family not in a bad way we are just ready for something different. Me and my wife have been thinking very hard about going to a homestead lifestyle which would give us all the time in the world with our children, but would definitely end any extravagant spending. I guess what I am looking for is has anyone ever done this here on the forum? have they enjoyed it? Maybe someone wishes they would have? Any advice is welcome Thanks

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
P
P
All I can say is bale hay while the sun shines, meaning work all you can and save all u can so you can retire early and enjoy the fruits of your labor while you are young enough to utilize it.

O
OP Offline
O
Pat I think you touched on one of my concerns. That is the literal fact that I know the enjoyment of actually baling hay and everything that goes with it. I am afraid my kids will only know the inside of a trailer park and I will grow old and regret that.

I Subscribe
N
N
My kids are 6, 4 and 1 so almost the exact same age. So, I understand where you are coming from. My question would be is there something in the middle? You seem to want to go from one extreme of working crazy hours, making lots of money with tons of travel to homesteading working essentially at home making very little money. Is there some trade or skill that you have learned/developed in the oil/gas industry that can translate to a more steady, local job back home in Arkansas? Maybe phase into the homesteading thing instead of making such a giant leap? I know with small kids comes lots of doctors visits which means insurance is almost a necessity. I have priced insurance for a family of five. It's definitely not cheap.

Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 04/21/17 12:32 PM.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Pat has a good point. When I was 30 I felt so much better then I do now at 49. I would say you should have a meeting with your family first. The tuff part is this. Your kids don't understand really just yet where all the cool stuff comes from and how much hard work is involved getting that cool stuff. Maybe there not even really old enough to be into to much just yet, but soon your 6 year old will be. So your gonna have to make the decision soon. Are you going to give them this money lifestyle or are you going to give them the homestead lifestyle? Cause I can tell you what might happen. Lets say you continue to do the oil thing for 10 more years. Well your gonna have a 16, 13, and 11 year old that are VERY used to now having cool things better stuff and nicer gadgets / Toys. Which isn't a bad thing just if you cut them off from that all of a sudden they may not understand to well specially the younger one. I would say at that point it's almost to late then to stop doing what your doing. You also have to ask yourself this. Would you be ok with your oldest getting the cooler neater stuff as a teen then the other 2 kids. Cause it's gonna happen that way if you continue to work for 8 to 10 more years. Your oldest will get the most out of it and your youngest will be like well how come I cant have that Johnny had it... Just saying that's the nature of the beast when it comes to kids. They will get used to a certain lifestyle and if you just snatch that away from them you will need to make sure they understand and are also ok with it to some degree. Or you could have your hands full!! smile Good Luck man

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
OP Offline
O
Yes half acre I am a fluent welder among other things, and should be able to stay busy most of the time. Don't even get me started on insurance the last two years mine has doubled but I wont get on that soap box. I guess I should have elaborated a little better I do plan on keeping a job. Just one a lot closer to home that doesn't pay nearly as well. I just thought maybe someone on here might have gone through this before. I am struggling between what's more important for my children financial security or actually growing up somewhere where they get to fish and hunt more than twice a year.

I Subscribe
F
F
Is there a home on your farm to live in? You said it was paid for. If you don't have any debt,insurances will be your major expense. Do you home school your 6 yr. old or would they need be in public schools? Utilities would need to be paid. A NEST EGG IS A MUST FOR EMERGENCYS. If you could be self employed it would probably be as close to what you are looking for as anything.I took that route almost 30 yrs ago and have never regretted working for myself. Working a business at home is even better. Set short term goal and long term goals.We all work very hard all our lives planning for retirement and the day you don't have to answer to anyone...friend, That day will never come.Live each day like tomorrow will never come, for it may not. Just some food for thought.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
O
OP Offline
O
Flame yes there is a home on the property and yes I fully intend to be self employed by any means necessary. Good to hear you were happy with your decision.

I Subscribe
B
B
You are close to being where the family can't travel with you unless you start home schooling. I know of two people that had your situation. Both starting teaching welding. One at a local high school and the other at a Jr. College. Both seemed content with there choice to get off the road.

I think while your kids are still at this age I would hit it hard on the road for couple more years. Put away every dollar possible(60%+) into savings, then start the homestead thing. The 6 year old might get a little out of homestead life now, but the 3 and 1 year old not as much. Set your 2 year goals, then work to make sure you are there.

Last edited by BrianL; 04/21/17 02:25 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
S
S
Flame has a very good point. I have worked since I was 16 years old furthering my education at night getting a degree and seems like always working two jobs to make ends meet and to give my family not what they necessarily need but what we wanted. Your children will grow up so fast before you know it they will be gone. I am a cancer survivor going on two years now and definitely have a different outlook on life and what is really important to me. if you can make enough money to survive on and pay all your bills then I would say go for it. There is nothing better in life to be close to your family and to leave them with good thoughts and dreams. Money can't buy somethings.

This is just my opinion and where life has brought me so far. Every day is blessing from above.

O
OP Offline
O
Brian you are pretty close to what I had in mind. I think 2 years would be doable since the kiddos are still young. It is good to know there are others out there that transitioned over well. Thanks

I Subscribe
P
P
A lot of folks had inside jobs not welding. I was a certified Pipefitter/welder for almost 40 years, it's hard to make a living at home. In a big city or close to one you can stay busy chasing shutdowns and save money...... there just ain't an easy way unless you can teach it at a school or college. I could have gone overseas and made more but opted to be near home , cause kids are kids for a short time and you don't want to miss that.

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 04/21/17 03:07 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'll add my two cents on the working for yourself at home, thing. I did it for almost 9 years, made a pretty good living at it, too. It had been a dream of mine for a couple decades, and I'm glad I had the chance to experience it.

But....by the time I was in about year 8, I dreaded walking out to that shop every morning. When you work for yourself at home, you're essentially never off work. Even when you flip the sign to "closed", your mind is still working. That's just how it has to be....live, eat, breathe work. It seems like being right there at home, with your family close, would enable one to spend more time with them, but that's not how it worked out for me.

So when an incredible opportunity to work for someone else, in a field I never envisioned came my way, I left and never looked back. And it's wonderful. When the clock says 4, I lay it down and forget about it till the next morning. Paid time off, sick days, insurance, retirement, all things I never had working for myself.

My family claims I'm much happier now, and I think I would agree. Not saying the same would apply to you, or that you shouldn't follow your dream, not saying that at all. Just sharing my experience.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
I was a certified Pipefitter/welder for almost 40 years, it's hard to make a living at home.

Pat did you work on the Alaskan Pipeline Project?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

P
P
Had the opportunity but stayed local so I could stay home

S
S
Originally Posted By: ozarkfisher
I have gotten great pond advice on this forum so I figured why not look for some other advice. I am always looking for advice from older generations who have been there done that so to speak. I started working in the gas/oil fields at 18 years old. I have taken every opportunity offered and have worked every extra hour given and was glad for it. Now me and my wife will both be turning 30 this year and our children will be 6,3,and 1. I have bought and paid for a decent sized farm "and built an awesome pond" in my home state of Arkansas, but we are never there due to the nature of my work. Needless to say this style of work is really beginning to wear on our family not in a bad way we are just ready for something different. Me and my wife have been thinking very hard about going to a homestead lifestyle which would give us all the time in the world with our children, but would definitely end any extravagant spending. I guess what I am looking for is has anyone ever done this here on the forum? have they enjoyed it? Maybe someone wishes they would have? Any advice is welcome Thanks

My youngest son kind of took the homesteading route. He likes to say that he is not a "prepper" but he does many of the things preppers do. Although he is still on grid he has enough solar that really he keeps the power connection so he can run the air conditioner in the summer (not enough capacity for it) and uses only the monthly minimum. Has chickens and other animals, cuts fire wood for heat, hot water and spending money in the winter (solar for summer hot water), does odd jobs for locals on and off and works part time seasonal farm work for added income. He worked long enough to have a homestead size farmstead fully paid off and has some annual crop income from it. But they live frugally, have a garden and figure ways to save money rather than spend it. Basically got out of the "spend and keep up with the Jones's" rat race. No debt and no intention of having any (every central bankers worst nightmare, laugh ) and closer to being self sufficient than 95% of Americans. Has time to spend with the kids and go to their school functions. Seems to be very happy overall with their lifestyle. But they are sure not lavish spenders and can't be with the life style they chose.

It is all what a person can be satisfied and happy with.

Last edited by snrub; 04/22/17 12:14 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys for the opinions and stories. Sometimes its nice just to know that most everybody struggles with decisions and what to do with the time we are given. I appreciate the feedback

I Subscribe
L
L
I had the opportunity to go independent with engineering and start my own business, but I chose adopt a kiddo instead and concentrate on the family so I continue working for a small contract business.

I would not trade it for anything! Sure money is nice, and a lavish lifestyle is appealing, but at the end of the day being with the family is richer, and more precious to the soul.

What about a compromise? Is your place of work able to meet your needs and reduce your work time (understanding a salary reduction will also come)? Can you get away with working for 6 months, homestead for 6, and back? Sabbatical to try it out to see how it goes?

C
C
14yrs ago I took a pretty substantial cut in pay to spend more time with my kids. I regret nothing!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I sort of fell into what I do now after a 26 year career. I took off for 2 years with a wife and daughters ages 2,3 and 8 built a cedar log cabin in Izard County Arkansas off the land while living without electricity in a 27' Travel Trailer. We bathed in our mountain stream and spring, winter and summer. I worked from sun up, to sun down with only a chainsaw, hand tools, and a dream. I did it, then sold it for a healthy profit. My girls still talk about how much they loved Arkansas...they never felt deprived once, and even felt blessed to basically live off the land. I had some cash to live on, but not nearly enough to not work also.

I'd suggest the minimum 2 years busting your hump, scrimping, living a MUCH more modest lifestyle while saving all you can, BUT, also while building that nestegg of cash, build a nestegg of "stuff"....like a solid 4-wheeler, tools, backhoe, tractor, etc...you never know what you may need, and in the Arkansas mountains, a man with skills and equipment can make a decent living just "helping neighbors".

Mostly, the 2 years scrimping, saving, and preparing will acclimate you, your kids and wife to a much less shocking transition into homesteading.

One final piece of sage advice....you and your wife are accustomed to you being away, like deployed military....be sure you and her can both stand being around one another for more than a vacation's worth of time....lol Retirements have led to discovering all spouses had begun sharing together, were goals for the kids, and not for being alone once they grew.....or another way to view it, many look forward to a wedding, and never consider the marriage, after the show....

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Dang, Rex... I can't imagine bathing in a mountain stream in the summer much less the winter! I bet that toughens up the skin

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
O
OP Offline
O
I would agree dj that should toughen anyone up. I've felt a lot of spring water in this area and I am pretty sure it never gets warm.

Rex thanks for the advice I agree with you about the equipment. Also I keep my family with me when I work. We live out of a fifth wheel trailer I am not sure I could do it alone. My hat is off to all the military men and women who deploy that would be tough.

I Subscribe

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??