Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,807
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (shores41, Donatello, Justin W, teehjaeh57, Theo Gallus, Sunil, FishinRod, New Guy, jludwig), 1,061 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tubguy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I installed a mallard duck tube in shallow water and replaced the bedding material in my wood duck box yesterday.I installed the duck box last year on March 1st and still have not seen any sign of a wood duck.I do have a mating pair of mallards that have been hanging out around the pond.I am hoping they will utilize the new duck tube.I also have three hooded mergansers that are camping out.I hope they will move on before they eat to many fish.I have read that hooded mergansers might utilize wood duck nests (They are fun to watch but I see dollar signs each time they dive for a fish). The GBH has also returned unfortunately.i was hoping that it would get lost and not find its way back.
I guess managing a pond ecosystem can be a challenging and rewarding endeavor.There are so many species of birds and animals that we would like to attract and there seems to be just as many or more species that we would like to eliminate from our pond area

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Nice - did you make the mallard tube yourself?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted By: tubguy
I installed a mallard duck tube in shallow water and replaced the bedding material in my wood duck box yesterday.I installed the duck box last year on March 1st and still have not seen any sign of a wood duck.I do have a mating pair of mallards that have been hanging out around the pond.I am hoping they will utilize the new duck tube.I also have three hooded mergansers that are camping out.I hope they will move on before they eat to many fish.I have read that hooded mergansers might utilize wood duck nests (They are fun to watch but I see dollar signs each time they dive for a fish). The GBH has also returned unfortunately.i was hoping that it would get lost and not find its way back.
I guess managing a pond ecosystem can be a challenging and rewarding endeavor.There are so many species of birds and animals that we would like to attract and there seems to be just as many or more species that we would like to eliminate from our pond area

Tubguy,

Please post a pic of your Mallard tube.

This time of year we also get a lot of visitors. A week ago it was a pair of Buffleheads that stayed for one day and spent the entire time diving (I assume for snails). Then two pair of Hooded Megansers stayed for a day (I assume diving for small fish and snails). Mallards and Woodies are in and out. I throw pellets to the Geese and GBH when they show up.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
tubguy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Red I did make the duck tube out of some old leftover fence that I had. There are several online how to videos on making mallard or "duck" tubes.I did not get a chance to take pictures because we were rushing to beat a thunderstorm. I will try to post pictures tomorrow or Tuesday. It only took about 15 minutes to make the actual tube but setting the post in the water and mounting the tube was a little tricky. I drove a 10ft 1.25 inch galvanized pipe in about 3 ft of water while standing on a paddle boat. I then screwed a 1.25 inch pipe floor flange to a composite stair tread ,mounted the tube to the tread with deck screws and galvanized wire then screwed the floor flange on the pipe. I probably will add another section of pipe and drive the post deeper to make the tube more stable at a later date.

T
tubguy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bill my GBH is real skittish and takes of flying when I get within 75 yards or so.I do have a couple mating pair of Canadian geese that will almost let you walk up to them. I would like to keep the mallards and attract some wood ducks. I would like to see the GBH go though. I caught three bass last year that had been stabbed by the heron.I could also do without all the goose "crapnel"slung everywhere . I will take some pictures of the duck tube and post them within the next couple days. There is a lot of online DIY videos on building and placing duck tubes.

T
tubguy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The top picture is of the wood duck box that I installed last year.This is a picture of the mallard tube installed.You can see the lean.I will add more pipe a a later date to stiffen up the mount. This picture is of the welded wire fence that I used to make the mallard tube.

Last edited by tubguy; 03/29/17 02:57 PM.
Thanks for posting the pics! Is there a certain angle the nests should be mounted at and direction they should face?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
C
This link might give helpful info!

Mallard tube info

T
tubguy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the link Canyon!

F
F
Just a odd coincidence but after a hard storm with 1 and 1/2 inch rain yesterday...a pair of mallards showed up on my pond this morning. First mallard I have seen here in over 2 years. My question is would it be worth me building one of these mallard nesting pipes down here in deep east Texas? Is this their nesting time? Am I too late for this year? Or do most just go back north to nest? I have built wood duck houses and bat houses so wouldn't mind building one if yall thought they would use it.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
D
D
We have a pair showing up every day right now. I am not sure where they are nesting yet but must be in the long grass near by. They are funny to watch. They will sit on the log then jump into the pond and play in the aeration boil then back to the log. This gos on most of the day then roost in their nest where ever they have it.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM